Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
awahoya

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby awahoya » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:11 am

tomwatts wrote:The med school application process is still the most harrowing of all app processes, though. Over 60,000 people take the MCAT each year (a hard test in itself, and unlike the LSAT, a test of content -- so these people have already taken a year each of bio, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics). Of those, a little over 40,000 apply to med school. Of those, about 18,000 get into even one school and matriculate.

And getting into, say, UCSF is a little different from just getting in at all (in the same way that getting into HLS is different from getting into a Tier 2). Med schools are also much smaller than law schools (think a couple dozen per entering class instead of several hundred), so any particular admissions decision is more random and fluky than any particular law school decision.

Remind me to never show this post to my brother so he can lord this over me.

Gluck everyone :)

pulandasu

Postby pulandasu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:45 am

Hi,

I'm a Columbia hopeful here. Does anyone know what Columbia's policy/take on submitting additional materials before the decision is rendered? I've tried looking through their websites and on TLS search, but couldn't come by anything helpful. I know UChi doesn't accept additional materials (such as updated transcripts), but I just want to make sure Columbia is okay with it.

Also, any additional material should be sent to admissions@law.columbia.edu?

Thanks a lot for your help!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:48 am

pulandasu wrote:Hi,

I'm a Columbia hopeful here. Does anyone know what Columbia's policy/take on submitting additional materials before the decision is rendered? I've tried looking through their websites and on TLS search, but couldn't come by anything helpful. I know UChi doesn't accept additional materials (such as updated transcripts), but I just want to make sure Columbia is okay with it.

I updated my file last cycle through that email address with PDFs and their response were in PDFs. I think you are fine updating to that email address.

pulandasu

Postby pulandasu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:57 am

r6_philly wrote:
pulandasu wrote:Hi,

I updated my file last cycle through that email address with PDFs and their response were in PDFs. I think you are fine updating to that email address.

Thanks r6! So, I'm okay to send them an e-mail with updates, right?

Also, could you explain what you mean by "their responses were in PDFs"? I understood that as you wrote them an e-mail with a pdf attachment and they wrote back with a pdf attachment that had their response? Am I getting that right?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:21 am

pulandasu wrote:Thanks r6! So, I'm okay to send them an e-mail with updates, right?

Also, could you explain what you mean by "their responses were in PDFs"? I understood that as you wrote them an e-mail with a pdf attachment and they wrote back with a pdf attachment that had their response? Am I getting that right?

Yes and yes. I got a PDF letter response from the Dean, very professional. And if they have any issue with your submission I am sure they will just notify you. They are incredibly professional, nice, and helpful over there.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:26 am

Knock wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:
r6_philly wrote:It's funny how the same people migrate from thread to thread and ride out the waves together.

I missed the whole experience last cycle by applying late, that's why I decided to reapply. :lol:

Hahaha, here to ride it out I guess :) I'm not sure why I should have any hope for CLS at this point, but I guess having paid the application fee alone entitles me to some sense of possibility. I paid my money! And I'm gonna see all the movie! (Anyone?)

Columbia,

Don't let me down. You know what i'm talking about.

Knock

:mrgreen:

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:56 pm

is this the last top school that will have a big wave of acceptances? i'm really enjoying all the rampant speculation that occurs before it (though without the update dates, CLS might not be as exciting :cry: )

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:59 pm

The Stig wrote:is this the last top school that will have a big wave of acceptances? i'm really enjoying all the rampant speculation that occurs before it (though without the update dates, CLS might not be as exciting :cry: )

So it is more susceptible to rampant speculation then :D

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:59 pm

The Stig wrote:is this the last top school that will have a big wave of acceptances? i'm really enjoying all the rampant speculation that occurs before it (though without the update dates, CLS might not be as exciting :cry: )

Yup. At least, it is the last one I am waiting on (besides the unpredictable and unlikely S and the fact that I am rotting in a holding cell at H, destined for a ding). But I think you are right, it won't be exciting until someone checks their mailbox in NYC next Friday or Saturday to find a vomit-colored envelope, at which point all hell will break loose and wild speculation will commence.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:59 pm

+1
Plus, don't you find out via snail mail anyways? Or do they call as well? If they call, what is the area code? 212? Who do they call first? Is it by submit date? Or will it be random? I bet it'll be random. Wait what if they don't even call in the first place? If they mail, do they do a mass mailing on the same day? Are dings in the mail or e-mail if they do mail? When do we start hearing back? What is their Twitter page saying? Do they even have a Twitter page?

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Fresh wrote:

+1
Plus, don't you find out via snail mail anyways? Or do they call as well? If they call, what is the area code? 212? Who do they call first? Is it by submit date? Or will it be random? I bet it'll be random. Wait what if they don't even call in the first place? If they mail, do they do a mass mailing on the same day? Are dings in the mail or e-mail if they do mail? When do we start hearing back? What is their Twitter page saying? Do they even have a Twitter page?

Just snail mail. No CLS admissions Twitter page. No real warning just one day the vomit envelopes will start showing up... SURPRISE!

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:04 pm

daisyduke wrote:Just snail mail. No CLS admissions Twitter page. No real warning just one day the vomit envelopes will start showing up... SURPRISE!

lol i didnt expect real answers but thanks!

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:07 pm

daisyduke wrote:
Fresh wrote:

+1

Just snail mail. No CLS admissions Twitter page. No real warning just one day the vomit envelopes will start showing up... SURPRISE!

Its going to be MORE exciting than schools that have status checkers because you know that the first person who gets an envelope is going to be swamped with "where are you?" and "stats?" posts and then people will be analyzing the weather patterns to figure out why they haven't gotten anything in the mail yet.

Postby 4102011 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:12 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
daisyduke wrote:Just snail mail. No CLS admissions Twitter page. No real warning just one day the vomit envelopes will start showing up... SURPRISE!

Its going to be MORE exciting than schools that have status checkers because you know that the first person who gets an envelope is going to be swamped with "where are you?" and "stats?" posts and then people will be analyzing the weather patterns to figure out why they haven't gotten anything in the mail yet.

Just like with NYU!

...that was a bad time. This time I'll be the crazy girl running down Broadway in pursuit of a vomit-colored envelope...GET EXCITED.

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Fresh wrote:

lol i didnt expect real answers but thanks!

:oops: :)

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:23 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
daisyduke wrote:
Fresh wrote:

+1

Pumped for this.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:25 pm

dulcatis wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:

Just like with NYU!

...that was a bad time. This time I'll be the crazy girl running down Broadway in pursuit of a vomit-colored envelope...GET EXCITED.

Someone should make a lolcat that says something about how the Columbia status checker doesn't update after you go complete. Because you know people are going to be asking about it!

Also, being excited about a "vomit-colored" envelope, especially when I am home sick from work with some kind of stomach thing, is amusing me.

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:39 pm

--ImageRemoved--

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:43 pm

--ImageRemoved--

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

YAY!

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:07 pm

Haha I approve of both of those!

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Awww all this fun and games is sorta making me wish I hadn't ED'd so I could join in the crazy speculation all over again lol

Oh yeah, and that vomit kitten is waaaaaaaaay too cute! :mrgreen:

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:27 pm

piccolittle wrote:Awww all this fun and games is sorta making me wish I hadn't ED'd so I could join in the crazy speculation all over again lol

Well there are a ton of us waiting here in this thread who would gladly take that pesky admission off your hands. :D

Postby 4102011 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:29 pm

law_monkey wrote:Haha I approve of both of those!

+1

Also, I did some stalking of last year's thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=87103&hilit=columbia+2010&start=2325), which is pretty amusing, and it seems that the first TLSer heard on Saturday, January 23rd (letter dated Friday 1/22).

So hopefully if they follow that pattern, hopefully NYCers will hear on Saturday, January 22 this year?

LOVE ME, COLUMBIA. LOVE ME!!

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:32 pm

law_monkey wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Awww all this fun and games is sorta making me wish I hadn't ED'd so I could join in the crazy speculation all over again lol

Well there are a ton of us waiting here in this thread who would gladly take that pesky admission off your hands. :D

+1000000000

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”