Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thecilent

Re: Columbia 2011! - Fawkes

Postby thecilent » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:37 pm

PuckCU06 wrote:Yes I am. And, I'm the applicant who doesn't fit in a box, so to speak. My PS is unusual, etc, etc... I thought that would be an asset starting out, but now I'm just getting jerked around by everyone.

It's probs not your PS. You're a hard splitter - your cycle is bound to be unpredictable / a little disappointing.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:38 pm

All of you with deferrals, did they put it right in the email or was it in a pdf? What was the email address it came from?

vertex

Postby vertex » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:44 pm

Wow I cannot believe Joe got deferred. His numbers are better than mine. I think only a handful of people make it from deferred-->admit, but Joe if there's anyone that can do it, it's you.

Shane, any word on your end?

PuckCU06

Postby PuckCU06 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:47 pm

You are right and I knew that going in, but what I'm beginning to appreciate is how much of it is pure numbers. Friends of mine who cannot string together a coherent english sentence and who've never done anything interesting in their lives are getting auto-admits, and I got dinged by Texas in 10 days.

Sorry to vent -- I was naive to think they gave a crap about choosing students instead of numbers.

thecilent wrote:
PuckCU06 wrote:Yes I am. And, I'm the applicant who doesn't fit in a box, so to speak. My PS is unusual, etc, etc... I thought that would be an asset starting out, but now I'm just getting jerked around by everyone.

It's probs not your PS. You're a hard splitter - your cycle is bound to be unpredictable / a little disappointing.

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:49 pm

PuckCU06 wrote:You are right and I knew that going in, but what I'm beginning to appreciate is how much of it is pure numbers. Friends of mine who cannot string together a coherent english sentence and who've never done anything interesting in their lives are getting auto-admits, and I got dinged by Texas in 10 days.

Sorry to vent -- I was naive to think they gave a crap about choosing students instead of numbers.

Yes. But your numbers aren't too shabby, so you will get admits. Just sit tight and enjoy the Splitter Waiting Game.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:53 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:
Yes. But your numbers aren't too shabby, so you will get admits. Just sit tight and enjoy the Splitter Waiting Game.

After they can't find enough non-splitters with high LSATs splitters will get some love. Probably well after the Dec. LSAT comes out though.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:53 pm

vertex wrote:Wow I cannot believe Joe got deferred. His numbers are better than mine. I think only a handful of people make it from deferred-->admit, but Joe if there's anyone that can do it, it's you.

Shane, any word on your end?

Thanks vertex <3

I said this in the ED thread but I thought I was in for sure! A family friend of mine if a CLS alumnus so I'm going to try to get a LOR from him and update my transcript a bit, maybe volunteer with another family friend who is a judge over winter break. CLS deferral is really just a rejection though so I feel like it's kind of wasted. Maybe NYU will throw some scholly money my way, that'd help make up for this!

Man though, ED deferral with 172/3.81... maybe CLS is gunning to usurp Stanford??

PuckCU06

Postby PuckCU06 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:00 pm

Thank you for saying as much. My reason for applying ED was to get myself into the "maybe" pile -- at this point, I am hoping that not hearing from the likes of NYU and GTown is a good thing -- means maybe they're thinking about it, but hearing nothing from CLS is paving the way for a direct rejection. Everything else has been sent.

r6_philly wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:

After they can't find enough non-splitters with high LSATs splitters will get some love. Probably well after the Dec. LSAT comes out though.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:08 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:Man though, ED deferral with 172/3.81... maybe CLS is gunning to usurp Stanford??

I am still really shocked at this, and it makes me terrified for RD with my numbers. Damn.

At least with those numbers I'm sure you'll have some other absolutely fantastic options.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:11 pm

eskimo wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:Man though, ED deferral with 172/3.81... maybe CLS is gunning to usurp Stanford??

I am still really shocked at this, and it makes me terrified for RD with my numbers. Damn.

At least with those numbers I'm sure you'll have some other absolutely fantastic options.

If median and above median with ED is not enough to get an acceptance most of us should just pack up and give in now.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:14 pm

eskimo wrote:

Do remember that you don't know all that much just by the numbers- you don't know if they studied basket weaving, you don't know what school they went to, what their grade trend was like, if they are a good writer, or what their softs are. Relax. It is too bad for this person, but plenty of people with numbers similar to and even lower than his/hers (and maybe even this person with some luck and a good LOCI) will be accepted RD. Don't go freaking out yet, we are still more than a month away from the first RD acceptances!

Postby 4102011 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:
eskimo wrote:

If median and above median with ED is not enough to get an acceptance most of us should just pack up and give in now.

Mebbe something was off? :/

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:18 pm

Kili wrote:
His GPA was like 74.99999 percentile...strange

Scary is the word, like eskimo says. If they are trying to raise the median LSAT to 173...

Still I think they may come back to their senses after seeing the volume of high LSATs. Oct takers were down, let's hope Dec. takers were down too. Then they would have to dip lower later.

Maybe a deferral isn't as bad as last year (if my theory is right).

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:19 pm

jd2014! wrote:
eskimo wrote:

Do remember that you don't know all that much just by the numbers- you don't know if they studied basket weaving, you don't know what school they went to, what their grade trend was like, if they are a good writer, or what their softs are. Relax. It is too bad for this person, but plenty of people with numbers similar to and even lower than his/hers (and maybe even this person with some luck and a good LOCI) will be accepted RD. Don't go freaking out yet, we are still more than a month away from the first RD acceptances!

+ 1. I also doubt they're trying to up their LSAT median,b/c plenty of 172s have already been accepted via ED. Joe, you may want to look over your app one more time in case of some kind of unfortunate typo.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:22 pm

jd2014! wrote:
eskimo wrote:

I was a double major in Biological Sciences and Psychology. Bio is tough, Psych is ehh but certainly not basket-weaving! T70 public, upward GPA trend (4.0 for past four semesters). I cancelled my first LSAT so I guess that could be it (June 2010) but I don't have any disciplinary action. My softs are four years of volunteering during the summer, owning an incorporated business for four years, work three out of four years, and vice-president and editor of a publication so my softs definitely aren't bad. My PS was not risky in the least, a litte bit of very light humor but it was well-written.

Oh and there were no typoes, no mention of other schools, nothing that would scream moron. Looked it over a few times before and just looked at it again. I'm truly surprised. I really think that they are trying to raise their LSAT considering the chart that someone posted last night - the average accepted LSAT thus far (ED only) has been ~172.4 which is really high for ED!

To look on the bright side, this means CLS isn't entirely numbers oriented - at 75% GPA and 50% LSAT I'd be given scholly money if they were :P

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:30 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:
jd2014! wrote:
eskimo wrote:

I was a double major in Biological Sciences and Psychology. Bio is tough, Psych is ehh but certainly not basket-weaving! T70 public, upward GPA trend (4.0 for past four semesters). I cancelled my first LSAT so I guess that could be it (June 2010) but I don't have any disciplinary action. My softs are four years of volunteering during the summer, owning an incorporated business for four years, work three out of four years, and vice-president and editor of a publication so my softs definitely aren't bad. My PS was not risky in the least, a litte bit of very light humor but it was well-written.

Oh and there were no typoes, no mention of other schools, nothing that would scream moron. Looked it over a few times before and just looked at it again. I'm truly surprised. I really think that they are trying to raise their LSAT considering the chart that someone posted last night - the average accepted LSAT thus far (ED only) has been ~172.4 which is really high for ED!

To look on the bright side, this means CLS isn't entirely numbers oriented - at 75% GPA and 50% LSAT I'd be given scholly money if they were :P

Sorry man, that sucks. I wasn't trying to knock your education or anything, what I was saying is that people with similar numbers shouldn't go hang themselves, because one deferral for a certain set of numbers doesn't immediately exclude all others who have a similar application stats-wise.

I don't know what gave them pause about your app. And yes, there is obviously more to an application than numbers. Every cycle there are people with excellent scores who get dinged, and people with borderline stats who are accepted. If it were all so clear-cut, I guess we wouldn't be on TLS obsessing and speculating 24 hours a day.

Good luck in the RD round, Joe!

Postby 4102011 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:30 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:I was a double major in Biological Sciences and Psychology. Bio is tough, Psych is ehh but certainly not basket-weaving! T70 public, upward GPA trend (4.0 for past four semesters). I cancelled my first LSAT so I guess that could be it (June 2010) but I don't have any disciplinary action. My softs are four years of volunteering during the summer, owning an incorporated business for four years, work three out of four years, and vice-president and editor of a publication so my softs definitely aren't bad. My PS was not risky in the least, a litte bit of very light humor but it was well-written.

--ImageRemoved--

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:34 pm

jd2014! wrote:Sorry man, that sucks. I wasn't trying to knock your education or anything, what I was saying is that people with similar numbers shouldn't go hang themselves, because one deferral for a certain set of numbers doesn't immediately exclude all others who have a similar application stats-wise.

I don't know what gave them pause about your app. And yes, there is obviously more to an application than numbers. Every cycle there are people with excellent scores who get dinged, and people with borderline stats who are accepted. If it were all so clear-cut, I guess we wouldn't be on TLS obsessing and speculating 24 hours a day.

Good luck in the RD round, Joe!

No worries, honestly just venting. You all shouldn't worry though, I'm one person. I also submitted VERY late (sent 11/12 overnight, received 11/15, and completed 11/23). Just try your hardest on your apps and hope for good things! I wish you all the absolute best. Maybe I'll see you all there ;D For now though I'm hoping for money at NYU though it's probably too late for that and my number might be too low. UPenn - I'm looking at you too.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:35 pm

dulcatis wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:I was a double major in Biological Sciences and Psychology. Bio is tough, Psych is ehh but certainly not basket-weaving! T70 public, upward GPA trend (4.0 for past four semesters). I cancelled my first LSAT so I guess that could be it (June 2010) but I don't have any disciplinary action. My softs are four years of volunteering during the summer, owning an incorporated business for four years, work three out of four years, and vice-president and editor of a publication so my softs definitely aren't bad. My PS was not risky in the least, a litte bit of very light humor but it was well-written.

--ImageRemoved--

Sorry for scaring you and your cat :(

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 pm

This thread needs more lolcats I say.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:50 pm

jd2014! wrote:This thread needs more lolcats I say.

Actually, and my favorite one of all time:

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:55 pm

jd2014! wrote:This thread needs more lolcats I say.

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Is it wrong that I find something oddly comforting about lolcats, particularly in this hour of distress? I can't believe we still have more than a month to wait for decisions to starting coming in. Oh Columbia, you slay me.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”