Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thecilent

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby thecilent » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:18 pm

Eff Mich.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:18 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Kili wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:
thecilent wrote:I feel like I'm not going to see any other decisions for months. *is bored*

I'm hoping to hear back from Penn before Christmas. And whenever Mich feels like being nice to me. Then Columbia in January and Chicago in February. Then I can get off this website.

Unless you come back here as a 1L. :P

There's a very good chance I'll be taking a year off. Hopefully I can defer admission somewhere. (Looking at you, Columbia.) Otherwise, I might have to reapply.

Please God don't let that happen. At least I'll be working an 80 hr work week and won't have the time to procrastinate on here.

obrienfa

Postby obrienfa » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:23 pm

thecilent wrote:Eff Mich.

+1

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:24 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
Kili wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:
thecilent wrote:I feel like I'm not going to see any other decisions for months. *is bored*

I'm hoping to hear back from Penn before Christmas. And whenever Mich feels like being nice to me. Then Columbia in January and Chicago in February. Then I can get off this website.

Unless you come back here as a 1L. :P

There's a very good chance I'll be taking a year off. Hopefully I can defer admission somewhere. (Looking at you, Columbia.) Otherwise, I might have to reapply.

Please God don't let that happen. At least I'll be working an 80 hr work week and won't have the time to procrastinate on here.

Anyway you get me a position with you? I would love to defer and do that for a year.
Last edited by thecilent on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:35 pm

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:54 pm

Kili wrote:80hrs? I-banking?

The Financial District awaits...

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:26 pm

vertex

Postby vertex » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Man, I'm excited for Torts. I hear that's the best class.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:11 pm

vertex wrote:Man, I'm excited for Torts. I hear that's the best class.

I'm excited for Civ Pro. Totes the best.

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:40 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:Got my mail today and was happy to see there was no rejection/waitlist letter - how's everyone else holding out?

+1 I'm going to be on edge until the new year though. Here's to hoping good news will come soon for all of us (from one school or another)!

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:42 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:Got my mail today and was happy to see there was no rejection/waitlist letter - how's everyone else holding out?

+1 I'm going to be on edge until the new year though. Here's to hoping good news will come soon for all of us (from one school or another)!

You know, part of me always thought I liked CLS much better, but the more I've researched NYU since getting accepted, the narrower the difference between the two has become for me. Honestly, I never really cared much for the village, but when I just compared cursorily the places to eat around NYU vs. CLS, it was a WORLD of difference in options and quality. I guess the three things I really like about CLS over NYU are Columbia's campus, which is incredibly beautiful, better housing options, and yes, I'll admit it -- prestige, lay and legal.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:49 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:

You know, part of me always thought I liked CLS much better, but the more I've researched NYU since getting accepted, the narrower the difference between the two has become for me. Honestly, I never really cared much for the village, but when I just compared cursorily the places to eat around NYU vs. CLS, it was a WORLD of difference in options and quality. I guess the three things I really like about CLS over NYU are Columbia's campus, which is incredibly beautiful, better housing options, and yes, I'll admit it -- prestige, lay and legal.

If it weren't for the fact that NYU does not allow you to defer for a year, I would be making lists everyday as to why NYU was better for me than Columbia.

Unless I get into Columbia. Then I burn those sheets of paper.

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:50 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:

If it weren't for the fact that NYU does not allow you to defer for a year, I would be making lists everyday as to why NYU was better for me than Columbia.

NYU does allow you to defer a year. I deferred last year, and it is actually very easy. You just email a request to the admissions committee and pay you seat fee.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:51 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:If it weren't for the fact that NYU does not allow you to defer for a year, I would be making lists everyday as to why NYU was better for me than Columbia.

Yeah, like jd said apparently it's super easy and common to defer. I asked an NYU 1L who had deferred about it and he replied via PM and said it was incredibly simple to do.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:52 pm

jd2014! wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:You know, part of me always thought I liked CLS much better, but the more I've researched NYU since getting accepted, the narrower the difference between the two has become for me. Honestly, I never really cared much for the village, but when I just compared cursorily the places to eat around NYU vs. CLS, it was a WORLD of difference in options and quality. I guess the three things I really like about CLS over NYU are Columbia's campus, which is incredibly beautiful, better housing options, and yes, I'll admit it -- prestige, lay and legal.

NYU does allow you to defer a year. I deferred last year, and it is actually very easy. You just email a request to the admissions committee and pay you seat fee.

OMG are you serious? I read somewhere that they only allow it for extreme cases like military service?

Seriously you just made my day. I won't have to reapply now!

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:53 pm

eskimo wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:If it weren't for the fact that NYU does not allow you to defer for a year, I would be making lists everyday as to why NYU was better for me than Columbia.

Yeah, like jd said apparently it's super easy and common to defer. I asked an NYU 1L who had deferred about it and he replied via PM and said it was incredibly simple to do.

Ahhh thank you!!!

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:53 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
OMG are you serious? I read somewhere that they only allow it for extreme cases like military service?

Seriously you just made my day. I won't have to reapply now!

No military service required.

Edit: To be fair, I read that too. Further proof that you can't believe everything that you read on these sites.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:05 pm

eskimo wrote:

Wow that's great to know, any idea how it is at Columbia?

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:09 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:
eskimo wrote:

Wow that's great to know, any idea how it is at Columbia?

I asked an admissions officer, it is pretty easy at Columbia as well. Unless you are accepted off the waitlist, in which case you cannot defer.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:14 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Kili wrote:Any thoughts on why one would defer?

I've heard mixed answers on how (if) it would help with internships, OCI, etc...

If I got into Columbia I'd be so excited to go that I don't think I could bring myself to defer haha. But I've only heard of people doing it for personal reason whether it be an emergency or if the person is not ready to commit to the life of a lawyer since most people get right into a practice after law school. You know, like if someone wants to take a year off.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Well I'm considering deferring because I'm straight from UG and I'd like a year off, but don't want to apply later. I'd like to work for a year, and hopefully let the legal market recover a bit more before I'm in law school. But either way (defer or not), I'll be happy!

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Kili wrote:Any thoughts on why one would defer?

I've heard mixed answers on how (if) it would help with internships, OCI, etc...

From personal experience, I got offered a high paying job at an investment bank. Seeing as I want to eventually work at the SEC or in banking law, I figure I'll have a better chance at getting a job after law school if I have prior experience in the field.

But mostly, it's a lot of money. And law school costs too much to pass that up.
Last edited by starrydreamz3 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:33 pm

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”