Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby thecilent » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:18 pm

Eff Mich.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:18 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Kili wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:
thecilent wrote:I feel like I'm not going to see any other decisions for months. *is bored*


I'm hoping to hear back from Penn before Christmas. And whenever Mich feels like being nice to me. Then Columbia in January and Chicago in February. Then I can get off this website.


Unless you come back here as a 1L. :P


There's a very good chance I'll be taking a year off. Hopefully I can defer admission somewhere. (Looking at you, Columbia.) Otherwise, I might have to reapply.

Please God don't let that happen. At least I'll be working an 80 hr work week and won't have the time to procrastinate on here.

User avatar
obrienfa
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby obrienfa » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:23 pm

thecilent wrote:Eff Mich.

+1

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby thecilent » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:24 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
Kili wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:
thecilent wrote:I feel like I'm not going to see any other decisions for months. *is bored*


I'm hoping to hear back from Penn before Christmas. And whenever Mich feels like being nice to me. Then Columbia in January and Chicago in February. Then I can get off this website.


Unless you come back here as a 1L. :P


There's a very good chance I'll be taking a year off. Hopefully I can defer admission somewhere. (Looking at you, Columbia.) Otherwise, I might have to reapply.

Please God don't let that happen. At least I'll be working an 80 hr work week and won't have the time to procrastinate on here.

Anyway you get me a position with you? I would love to defer and do that for a year.
Last edited by thecilent on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:35 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:54 pm

Kili wrote:80hrs? I-banking?


The Financial District awaits...

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby shanemahsa » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:26 pm


User avatar
vertex
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby vertex » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Man, I'm excited for Torts. I hear that's the best class.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby shanemahsa » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:11 pm

vertex wrote:Man, I'm excited for Torts. I hear that's the best class.

I'm excited for Civ Pro. Totes the best.

User avatar
wiseguy33
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby wiseguy33 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:40 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:Got my mail today and was happy to see there was no rejection/waitlist letter - how's everyone else holding out?


+1 I'm going to be on edge until the new year though. Here's to hoping good news will come soon for all of us (from one school or another)!

TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby TLSNYC » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:42 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:Got my mail today and was happy to see there was no rejection/waitlist letter - how's everyone else holding out?


+1 I'm going to be on edge until the new year though. Here's to hoping good news will come soon for all of us (from one school or another)!


You know, part of me always thought I liked CLS much better, but the more I've researched NYU since getting accepted, the narrower the difference between the two has become for me. Honestly, I never really cared much for the village, but when I just compared cursorily the places to eat around NYU vs. CLS, it was a WORLD of difference in options and quality. I guess the three things I really like about CLS over NYU are Columbia's campus, which is incredibly beautiful, better housing options, and yes, I'll admit it -- prestige, lay and legal.

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:49 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:Got my mail today and was happy to see there was no rejection/waitlist letter - how's everyone else holding out?


+1 I'm going to be on edge until the new year though. Here's to hoping good news will come soon for all of us (from one school or another)!


You know, part of me always thought I liked CLS much better, but the more I've researched NYU since getting accepted, the narrower the difference between the two has become for me. Honestly, I never really cared much for the village, but when I just compared cursorily the places to eat around NYU vs. CLS, it was a WORLD of difference in options and quality. I guess the three things I really like about CLS over NYU are Columbia's campus, which is incredibly beautiful, better housing options, and yes, I'll admit it -- prestige, lay and legal.


If it weren't for the fact that NYU does not allow you to defer for a year, I would be making lists everyday as to why NYU was better for me than Columbia.

Unless I get into Columbia. Then I burn those sheets of paper.

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jd2014! » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:50 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:Got my mail today and was happy to see there was no rejection/waitlist letter - how's everyone else holding out?


+1 I'm going to be on edge until the new year though. Here's to hoping good news will come soon for all of us (from one school or another)!


You know, part of me always thought I liked CLS much better, but the more I've researched NYU since getting accepted, the narrower the difference between the two has become for me. Honestly, I never really cared much for the village, but when I just compared cursorily the places to eat around NYU vs. CLS, it was a WORLD of difference in options and quality. I guess the three things I really like about CLS over NYU are Columbia's campus, which is incredibly beautiful, better housing options, and yes, I'll admit it -- prestige, lay and legal.


If it weren't for the fact that NYU does not allow you to defer for a year, I would be making lists everyday as to why NYU was better for me than Columbia.

Unless I get into Columbia. Then I burn those sheets of paper.



NYU does allow you to defer a year. I deferred last year, and it is actually very easy. You just email a request to the admissions committee and pay you seat fee.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Dany » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:51 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:If it weren't for the fact that NYU does not allow you to defer for a year, I would be making lists everyday as to why NYU was better for me than Columbia.

Unless I get into Columbia. Then I burn those sheets of paper.

Yeah, like jd said apparently it's super easy and common to defer. I asked an NYU 1L who had deferred about it and he replied via PM and said it was incredibly simple to do.

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:52 pm

jd2014! wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:You know, part of me always thought I liked CLS much better, but the more I've researched NYU since getting accepted, the narrower the difference between the two has become for me. Honestly, I never really cared much for the village, but when I just compared cursorily the places to eat around NYU vs. CLS, it was a WORLD of difference in options and quality. I guess the three things I really like about CLS over NYU are Columbia's campus, which is incredibly beautiful, better housing options, and yes, I'll admit it -- prestige, lay and legal.


If it weren't for the fact that NYU does not allow you to defer for a year, I would be making lists everyday as to why NYU was better for me than Columbia.

Unless I get into Columbia. Then I burn those sheets of paper.



NYU does allow you to defer a year. I deferred last year, and it is actually very easy. You just email a request to the admissions committee and pay you seat fee.


OMG are you serious? I read somewhere that they only allow it for extreme cases like military service?

Seriously you just made my day. I won't have to reapply now!

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:53 pm

eskimo wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:If it weren't for the fact that NYU does not allow you to defer for a year, I would be making lists everyday as to why NYU was better for me than Columbia.

Unless I get into Columbia. Then I burn those sheets of paper.

Yeah, like jd said apparently it's super easy and common to defer. I asked an NYU 1L who had deferred about it and he replied via PM and said it was incredibly simple to do.


Ahhh thank you!!!

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jd2014! » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:53 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
OMG are you serious? I read somewhere that they only allow it for extreme cases like military service?

Seriously you just made my day. I won't have to reapply now!


No military service required.

Edit: To be fair, I read that too. Further proof that you can't believe everything that you read on these sites.

User avatar
JoeShmoe11
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:05 pm

eskimo wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:If it weren't for the fact that NYU does not allow you to defer for a year, I would be making lists everyday as to why NYU was better for me than Columbia.

Unless I get into Columbia. Then I burn those sheets of paper.

Yeah, like jd said apparently it's super easy and common to defer. I asked an NYU 1L who had deferred about it and he replied via PM and said it was incredibly simple to do.


Wow that's great to know, any idea how it is at Columbia?

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jd2014! » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:09 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:
eskimo wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:If it weren't for the fact that NYU does not allow you to defer for a year, I would be making lists everyday as to why NYU was better for me than Columbia.

Unless I get into Columbia. Then I burn those sheets of paper.

Yeah, like jd said apparently it's super easy and common to defer. I asked an NYU 1L who had deferred about it and he replied via PM and said it was incredibly simple to do.


Wow that's great to know, any idea how it is at Columbia?


I asked an admissions officer, it is pretty easy at Columbia as well. Unless you are accepted off the waitlist, in which case you cannot defer.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:14 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JoeShmoe11
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Kili wrote:Any thoughts on why one would defer?

I've heard mixed answers on how (if) it would help with internships, OCI, etc...


If I got into Columbia I'd be so excited to go that I don't think I could bring myself to defer haha. But I've only heard of people doing it for personal reason whether it be an emergency or if the person is not ready to commit to the life of a lawyer since most people get right into a practice after law school. You know, like if someone wants to take a year off.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Dany » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Well I'm considering deferring because I'm straight from UG and I'd like a year off, but don't want to apply later. I'd like to work for a year, and hopefully let the legal market recover a bit more before I'm in law school. But either way (defer or not), I'll be happy!

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Kili wrote:Any thoughts on why one would defer?

I've heard mixed answers on how (if) it would help with internships, OCI, etc...


From personal experience, I got offered a high paying job at an investment bank. Seeing as I want to eventually work at the SEC or in banking law, I figure I'll have a better chance at getting a job after law school if I have prior experience in the field.

But mostly, it's a lot of money. And law school costs too much to pass that up.
Last edited by starrydreamz3 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:33 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”