Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shanemahsa

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby shanemahsa » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:07 am

annie2010 wrote:
Wait...I dont think this is the correct response. I called the admissions office yesterday and you need to be COMPLETE by the 15th. She actually said you should submit your application through LSAC 7-10 business days before the 15th, which is basically today. She also said that if you need more time with your PS/Resume you can mail that in separately. She was very nice and very clear so I would probably take this as the truth.

Upshot: Please DONT tell people it only needs to be submitted on the 15th, because according to my convo with the admissions office you need to be COMPLETE on the 15th!!!!! unless she is full of it.

I obviously can't say that she is wrong but here's my source:
CLS Early Decision Contract wrote:If you have chosen to apply as an Early Decision candidate, please complete this form, print, sign, and send it to the Office of Admissions, no later than November 15. You will be notified of Columbia's decision in December.

I suppose it's probably better to get it in sooner tho jic. :S

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:25 pm

Dear Kermit the Frog,

Over the years, Columbia Law School has been consistently impressed by the caliber of College of Life students who have applied to our Law School. For this reason, we would like to invite you to peruse our website as well as our Viewbook, and consider our Law School as you determine your path to a legal career. In addition,[b] we encourage you to contact our Office.

If you happen to be in our area, please visit our Office or attend one of our Information Sessions, where you can learn more about the Columbia Law School experience. For additional information about visiting options, kindly go to http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applicants/visiting.

We hope to see or hear from you soon.

Warm wishes,
Columbia Law School Office of Admissions

I got this e-mail last night and the subject line was "Columbia Law School at the College of Life." At first I thought it was some sort of law school fair or that the admissions people were at my UG to talk to us, but none of my other friends that are applying to law school got the same e-mail. And I already "considered their law school" when I applied ED 2 weeks ago...so maybe it is just a standard e-mail? My issue is I don't know if I'm supposed to respond. It looks like an automated e-mail that they send to a few thousand applicants, but if I'm wrong I don't want to miss out on a chance to talk to them or just ignore them and look bad :|. Most e-mails I get from schools say "if you have any questions, contact..." instead of "we encourage you."

Anyone else receive an e-mail like this? What should I do?! Ignore or respond?
Last edited by calvmpv on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beleaguer

Postby beleaguer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:38 pm

@calvmpv: didn't receive that email. i was pretty confused when i read yours, not sure what that's about? i don't think that the wording of "we encourage" is all that far from "if you have questions.." in meaning, though.

for those of you who have mailed in their ED contracts and gone complete, how long did it take for it to change status after when they should've received it? technically my letter's supposed to have gotten there today, and i'm not sure when to start worrying about it.

edit: also, i don't think it needs to be complete by 11/15. if you read the ED threads from last year, a lot of people didn't go compelete until late november, but were still considered to be applying as ED. i think as long as you've submitted it online and your contract is postmarked by 11/15, you're golden. yes, i've neurotically read past columbia threads -.-

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:03 pm

beleaguer wrote:for those of you who have mailed in their ED contracts and gone complete, how long did it take for it to change status after when they should've received it? technically my letter's supposed to have gotten there today, and i'm not sure when to start worrying about it.

Don't start worrying about it yet...I overnighted my contract and tracked it and I didn't go complete till exactly 6 days after they received it.

beleaguer wrote:yes, i've neurotically read past columbia threads -.-

No judgment...same here.

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:07 pm

beleaguer wrote:@calvmpv: didn't receive that email. i was pretty confused when i read yours, not sure what that's about? i don't think that the wording of "we encourage" is all that far from "if you have questions.." in meaning, though.

So you don't think there's a need to answer or respond with questions or something? Bahh.

coolymx

Postby coolymx » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:53 am

calvmpv wrote:
beleaguer wrote:@calvmpv: didn't receive that email. i was pretty confused when i read yours, not sure what that's about? i don't think that the wording of "we encourage" is all that far from "if you have questions.." in meaning, though.

So you don't think there's a need to answer or respond with questions or something? Bahh.

I got the same letter, except it was addressed to the university I attended, obviously. You probably got a very good LSAT score, that's why they want you to apply.

Of course you can respond (probably good idea to keep in touch with admission people anyhow), but you don't NEED to respond.

chewy

Postby chewy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:13 pm

I received the same email, but I am a reverse splitter with a LSAT score much lower than their 25%. I had no intention in applying but do you think I should cast my application in there?

lfrank

Postby lfrank » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:26 pm

I got one as well, and it was quite a shock as I'm below both the LSAT and the GPA median. I wasn't planning on applying to Columbia for that reason, and while it was nice to see that they regard my undergraduate institution highly, I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference in my application when it comes right down to it. It's a form letter, albeit a pleasant one.

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:37 pm

chewy wrote:I received the same email, but I am a reverse splitter with a LSAT score much lower than their 25%. I had no intention in applying but do you think I should cast my application in there?

well it depends...on your GPA and how much lower than their 25th percentile

beleaguer

Postby beleaguer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:05 pm

i wish it were december already. i dare you guys to rival me in impatience; i guarantee you will not win. :[

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:25 am

beleaguer wrote:i wish it were december already. i dare you guys to rival me in impatience; i guarantee you will not win. :[

It's kinda like the LSAT in terms of anxiety for me... the few days after the event (turning app in), I'm really anxious, reading up everything I can on timelines, etc. After that I start becoming pretty apathetic. Then, around the time decisions are supposed to be released, I'll become really anxious again.

Here's to the next month and a half. lol

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:51 am

hellojd wrote:
beleaguer wrote:i wish it were december already. i dare you guys to rival me in impatience; i guarantee you will not win. :[

It's kinda like the LSAT in terms of anxiety for me... the few days after the event (turning app in), I'm really anxious, reading up everything I can on timelines, etc. After that I start becoming pretty apathetic. Then, around the time decisions are supposed to be released, I'll become really anxious again.

Here's to the next month and a half. lol

This is how I feel exactly haha :mrgreen:. Couldn't put it better myself.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:16 am

Last edited by Ghost on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:34 pm

Submitted last night. It's my biggest reach. Gogogo.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:07 pm

JG Hall wrote:Do not apply to Columbia. They cannot properly heat and cool the law school.

Best,
CLS 2L

OMFG, so right (CLS 1L here). It was about 80+ degrees and muggy in the building for a couple weeks, a couple weeks ago. Killer. Better now, as long as the weather outside doesn't heat up again.

Er, that wasn't really a contribution to this thread, so: good luck, all! (I guess that wasn't either...)

coolymx

Postby coolymx » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Hannibal wrote:Submitted last night. It's my biggest reach. Gogogo.

Same here. Gooood luck and hopefully they will get back to us before we know it!

vertex

Postby vertex » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:40 pm

coolymx wrote:

Same here. Gooood luck and hopefully they will get back to us before we know it!

3.7/172 is basically at their medians. Your shot's right around 50/50... not a huge reach in my book!

beleaguer

Postby beleaguer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:13 pm

finally complete! it was a little sad how happy that made me. i like how in the email they make sure to note that the admissions committee will evaluate the applications "in the order in which they are completed."

LawLucy

Postby LawLucy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:42 pm

coolymx wrote:
calvmpv wrote:

I got the same letter, except it was addressed to the university I attended, obviously. You probably got a very good LSAT score, that's why they want you to apply.

Of course you can respond (probably good idea to keep in touch with admission people anyhow), but you don't NEED to respond.

I received the same letter today stating how much they LOVE UW Alum students...blah, blah...I think it is a standard form

coolymx

Postby coolymx » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:55 pm

vertex wrote:
coolymx wrote:

3.7/172 is basically at their medians. Your shot's right around 50/50... not a huge reach in my book!

Lol it's actually 3.67, which from what I hear on this forum makes a big difference? but anyhow it's submited so now nothing I can do but wait.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Last edited by coolymx on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vertex

Postby vertex » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:03 pm

coolymx wrote:
vertex wrote:

Lol it's actually 3.67, which from what I hear on this forum makes a big difference? but anyhow it's submited so now nothing I can do but wait.

Oh. In that case, retake.

coolymx

Postby coolymx » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:17 pm

vertex wrote:
coolymx wrote:
vertex wrote:

Oh. In that case, retake.

lol............................sigh

MPeterson

Postby MPeterson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:54 pm

Submitted everything Oct. 26, yet "Completion Pending." :(

beleaguer

Postby beleaguer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:24 am

MPeterson wrote:Submitted everything Oct. 26, yet "Completion Pending." :(

maybe you should call? are you ED?

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:09 am

MPeterson wrote:Submitted everything Oct. 26, yet "Completion Pending." :(

Columbia took like 10 days for me to go complete, and I submitted beginning of October. Quite normal, I wouldn't worry

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”