Columbia 2011! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Re: Columbia 2011!

Post by bistduverrueckt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:49 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
bistduverrueckt wrote: Also I kind of liked the not going overboard to sell themselves...it seemed less fake (at least to me).
Or lazy/don't care about you... either way :wink:
Haha or maybe I'm just hooked on the CLS kool-aid.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:51 pm

bistduverrueckt wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
bistduverrueckt wrote: Also I kind of liked the not going overboard to sell themselves...it seemed less fake (at least to me).
Or lazy/don't care about you... either way :wink:
Haha or maybe I'm just hooked on the CLS kool-aid.
Nothin wrong with that!

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:55 pm

bistduverrueckt wrote:
mcweanis wrote:I feel like my visit to Columbia sucked out all of my excitement about law school and now I'm depressed. Hopefully nyu will be better. Thoughts?
How so? Maybe it's just me but I was amazed and impressed by their ASW and I'm psyched to maybe go there.
Honestly? I was def. leaning more NYU than CLS but that ASW really had me maybe thinking the other way...I have yet to visit NYU, but I thought the quality of the academic presentations were really good, and the current students I talked to were realistic but positive about their experiences.

I was the one who asked about jobs at the PI panel, btw...I know I met starrydreamz, but I'm sure I met some of the rest of you as well!

jplwine

New

Post by jplwine » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:05 pm

No rejection mail upon my return home after being away for a week. I know it's coming, but I don't mind if they take a little while.

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:08 pm

LinzerTorte wrote: How so? Maybe it's just me but I was amazed and impressed by their ASW and I'm psyched to maybe go there.
Honestly? I was def. leaning more NYU than CLS but that ASW really had me maybe thinking the other way...I have yet to visit NYU, but I thought the quality of the academic presentations were really good, and the current students I talked to were realistic but positive about their experiences.

I was the one who asked about jobs at the PI panel, btw...I know I met starrydreamz, but I'm sure I met some of the rest of you as well![/quote]

I THINK I remember that. I probably met you and didn't realize :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:14 pm

bistduverrueckt wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote: How so? Maybe it's just me but I was amazed and impressed by their ASW and I'm psyched to maybe go there.

I was the one who asked about jobs at the PI panel, btw...I know I met starrydreamz, but I'm sure I met some of the rest of you as well!
I THINK I remember that. I probably met you and didn't realize :)[/quote]

That's how these things go. :P

The woman who runs the SJI office was like "bowls of candy and boxes of kleenex!" in response to my question, which I was like... :shock: :shock:

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:33 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
bistduverrueckt wrote:

The woman who runs the SJI office was like "bowls of candy and boxes of kleenex!" in response to my question, which I was like... :shock: :shock:
I thought that the candy bowls line was pretty funny. Are you also the one who asked about NYU's PI programs? :)

Honestly, I absolutely loved the ASW. I barely spoke to anybody, but the lectures were so cool. Maybe it's because I'm a few years out of school and my undergrad wasn't that fancy, so it was just being back in proximity of the ivory tower? But the professors seemed so engaged by their work, and they were all like, "This is an emerging issue in oil securities litigation fraud* and when I worked at the White House, I told my friend Barack just that."

*random string of longish words

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 pm

delusional wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:
bistduverrueckt wrote:

I thought that the candy bowls line was pretty funny. Are you also the one who asked about NYU's PI programs? :)

Honestly, I absolutely loved the ASW. I barely spoke to anybody, but the lectures were so cool. Maybe it's because I'm a few years out of school and my undergrad wasn't that fancy, so it was just being back in proximity of the ivory tower? But the professors seemed so engaged by their work, and they were all like, "This is an emerging issue in oil securities litigation fraud* and when I worked at the White House, I told my friend Barack just that."

*random string of longish words
I was not at NYU, I'm going next week.

All of the professors today were super super impressive.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:51 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:

You weren't there when a girl asked Dean Schizer why Columbia's PI program is better than NYU's?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 pm

LinzerTorte wrote: All of the professors today were super super impressive.
+1

Also, I love how they sidestepped the comparison between the two schools PI programs. But I think my FAVORITE part of the panel was when the prof. actually praised the petition and said he hoped to see another one.

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:58 pm

delusional wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:

You weren't there when a girl asked Dean Schizer why Columbia's PI program is better than NYU's?
Yeah, sorry, I thought you were someone who left halfway through today.

That was funny. I liked that he was just like, "nope!"

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:00 pm

bistduverrueckt wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote: All of the professors today were super super impressive.
+1

Also, I love how they sidestepped the comparison between the two schools PI programs. But I think my FAVORITE part of the panel was when the prof. actually praised the petition and said he hoped to see another one.
I thought he was just being predictably unpredictable. It was a little interesting that a prospective would whip out such a question like that, though. Especially in public as opposed to at the reception or something.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:09 pm

At GULC, somebody asked about the rankings twice during panels.

It happens.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:21 pm

Also, I commented to someone from the admissions office about how all of the panels and 2/3 of the student questions are about just how wonderful the PI programs are, and yet, everyone in the room knows that everyone in the room is going to take the highest ranking V50 job they can get and he was like, "yeah, we laugh about that when the applicants leave". Okay, that's not really what he said, but he shared my amusement.

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:22 pm

delusional wrote:Also, I commented to someone from the admissions office about how all of the panels and 2/3 of the student questions are about just how wonderful the PI programs are, and yet, everyone in the room knows that everyone in the room is going to take the highest ranking V50 job they can get and he was like, "yeah, we laugh about that when the applicants leave". Okay, that's not really what he said, but he shared my amusement.
Lol speak for yourself, but I did think that the super-intense PI push was pretty hilarious.

Kaitlyn

Bronze

Post by Kaitlyn » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:35 pm

Last edited by Kaitlyn on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:51 pm

Glad I got to meet some of you today!

Contrary to pretty much everyone else that's talked about the visits, I thought it was cool. I didn't think it was groundbreaking and I wasn't super amazed, but I went from being 50-50 with another school to strongly leaning CLS. This was my third visit as an admitted student and 6th overall and I honestly didn't notice that much of a difference between the school's cultures (I do think in extremes a little so that may be why). I thought that at all of the schools, most people were very welcoming and nice (professors, administrators, and students) and didn't seem competitive. I will say though, you can tell a little bit that if you want to do PI from CLS, you have to be sure about what you want to do because even if there's enough support for it administratively, there aren't that many people who are set on it, or don't know what field of PI they want to go into (but I saw this at almost all of the schools I visited). Overall, I felt like I'll be happy at CLS, the current students that I had the most conversations with seemed like humble and normal people, and that the resources are there to do whatever you want to do. I did go to a few events that I was literally one of a handful or the only admitted student at and the current students I met at these were some of my favorite people during the event. Hope that somewhat helps those of you who didn't get to attend. Feel free to PM me if you want some more details.
Last edited by lakerfanimal on Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:52 am

I am actually surprised at the negativity here. I very much enjoyed my experience. My host was great and helpful, and I felt like all the professors save one were young, energetic, and engaging. The 5-professor panel was extremely interesting to me, as was the courts and terrorism talk. The first day was a tad too loose, but overall, good experience. The only thing that still deters me from CLS is the city itself, which may be surprising to some. i am just not big on super-urban areas.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:14 am

Birdlaw I love your pro-nyu trolling all over the boards.

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:43 am

Yay for meeting people! Ummm I was the one who asked the Dean about clerking. Does that make me a gunner? lol. I just wanted the deets on Ginsburg. Also, sad Sotomayor is coming next week and not while we were there.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:54 am

thecilent wrote:Birdlaw I love your pro-nyu trolling all over the boards.
haha I know! I don't even mean to do it (unless BruceWayne is there, then I HAVE to). In fairness, I wasn't at a Columbia ASW when I visited, so that's probably part of why I was pretty much ignored when I went there. I did mention that already though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Spykuh

Bronze

Post by Spykuh » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:58 am

I was actually leaning NYU until I went to ASP this week---totally fell in love with the school. I met a great group of current students and admits and had an AMAZING time. I loved how they didn't try and sell anything, whereas when I was at NYU I felt like they were always trying to prove something.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:01 am

Why are people against schools selling themselves at the asw - that's what they're suppose to do. You just have to be able to filter some of it

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:06 am

thecilent wrote:Why are people against schools selling themselves at the asw - that's what they're suppose to do. You just have to be able to filter some of it
TBF, there is a difference between displaying and discussing strengths and "selling" something. I think that is what people are referring to, when it feels self-conscious.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:16 pm

thecilent wrote:Why are people against schools selling themselves at the asw - that's what they're suppose to do. You just have to be able to filter some of it
Yeah. I mean, there is definitely something for a school and students being comfortable with what they are and how they do things. But for me, I like when a school is enthusiastic about their programs. To me, not selling their school means they don't care about their school and don't want to share what it has to offer with other people. That's just my opinion on it and by no means a bash on CLS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”