Columbia 2011! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LAWLAW09

Bronze

Re: Columbia 2011!

Post by LAWLAW09 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 am

inbox silence is deafening.

Buffalo Bill

New

Post by Buffalo Bill » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:01 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:inbox silence is deafening.
Well I kinda envy the people now that haven't gotten an email. You can probably safely assume you will at least get an ACTUAL decision some time soon, while the rest of us wait until April 22nd!

bendurnotes4me

New

Post by bendurnotes4me » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:02 pm

In this case I'm pretty sure "hold" is just sent to everyone who has not yet heard, regardless of numbers/chances. They probably thought it would chill us out. They will probably know better for next year. I would not think too hard about it at this point. I personally don't think its any indication whatsoever.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:03 pm

bendurnotes4me wrote:In this case I'm pretty sure "hold" is just sent to everyone who has not yet heard, regardless of numbers/chances. They probably thought it would chill us out. They will probably know better for next year. I would not think too hard about it at this point. I personally don't think its any indication whatsoever.
This would be true except for the few of us who applied early but haven't been held.

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:03 pm

Wasn't someone going to call in today about LOCIs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bendurnotes4me

New

Post by bendurnotes4me » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
bendurnotes4me wrote:In this case I'm pretty sure "hold" is just sent to everyone who has not yet heard, regardless of numbers/chances. They probably thought it would chill us out. They will probably know better for next year. I would not think too hard about it at this point. I personally don't think its any indication whatsoever.
This would be true except for the few of us who applied early but haven't been held.
Unless its not in order of application date and you will be getting yours shortly. I still haven't gotten mine but expecting it.

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:06 pm

timmna wrote:Wasn't someone going to call in today about LOCIs?
Planning on it, but it probably has to wait until lunch (think 1:00 or 1:30pm EST)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:14 pm

bendurnotes4me wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Unless its not in order of application date and you will be getting yours shortly. I still haven't gotten mine but expecting it.
Where is that cat pic with all the different possible orders? None applies. So maybe I am not getting one (I don't want it)?

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:20 pm

You guys are too slow for me. I just called the admissions office and was told that I could send a LOCI or additional LOR (or updated transcript) if I saw fit. The person I spoke to was very careful to neither encourage nor discourage it, which I think is implicit encouragement. When I called Berkeley after being placed in Faculty Review, they were adamant that additional materials were not necessary for the committee to make a decision. As Columbia is leaving the door open for sending additional materials, I believe they do in fact want held applicants to do something proactive to demonstrate their interest. I was told additional LORs and updated transcripts ought to be sent to their mailing address, whereas a LOCI presumably could be emailed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:22 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:You guys are too slow for me. I just called the admissions office and was told that I could send a LOCI or additional LOR (or updated transcript) if I saw fit. The person I spoke to was very careful to neither encourage nor discourage it, which I think is implicit encouragement. When I called Berkeley after being placed in Faculty Review, they were adamant that additional materials were not necessary for the committee to make a decision. As Columbia is leaving the door open for sending additional materials, I believe they do in fact want held applicants to do something proactive to demonstrate their interest. I was told additional LORs and updated transcripts ought to be sent to their mailing address, whereas a LOCI presumably could be emailed.
Thanks!! Did they mention anything about updated resumes, by any chance? I'm assuming that would fall into the LOCI category.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:24 pm

c_dubya_s wrote: Thanks!! Did they mention anything about updated resumes, by any chance? I'm assuming that would fall into the LOCI category.
Even after I mentioned a LOCI the person only explicitly referred to updated transcripts and additional LORs. I was given the impression that any new information would be acceptable, though. FWIW, if you have some exciting new thing to put on your resume, I think you'd be better served by explaining it in a LOCI, rather than hoping they notice it on a new resume.
Last edited by sgtgrumbles on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:24 pm

any value to adding "time email sent?"

hard to tell if emails are still being sent out or if folks are just updating the hold list late :|

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Well just got the NYU ASW thing so.....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Well just got the NYU ASW thing so.....
Do you mean you got it in the mail? I got mine yesterday. That's the only post-purple envelope thing I've received from them. Did you get the pizza box or anything else?

Sorry for the NYU derail, but Columbia deserves it for disappointing us.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:27 pm

Mutumbo letters are in the mail, they were mailed on the 1st.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:27 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
Do you mean you got it in the mail? I got mine yesterday. That's the only post-purple envelope thing I've received from them. Did you get the pizza box or anything else?

I got my NYU ASW thing yesterday, and also got the pizza box a couple weeks ago. & purple in Dec

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:28 pm

dulcatis wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:

I got my NYU ASW thing yesterday, and also got the pizza box a couple weeks ago. & purple in Dec
WTF NYU. Where's my pizza box? Should I call them?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

annie2010

Bronze

Post by annie2010 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:30 pm

if they just hold everyone, then only like 10 people will be at the early march admitted student days. that can't be right!

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:30 pm

rocon7383 wrote:Mutumbo letters are in the mail, they were mailed on the 1st.
what?

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:30 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:

I'm talking about the post card with the little map attached. It was sent out on the 28th so I was gauged that if Columbia did send out acceptances on the 28th like some people said...then I would have it today. But I don't so that's that. Let's hope that person that said their parent said 1/31 was telling the truth.

I have no idea what you're talking about with a pizza box. I got that their magazine and like a 3 page essay from the dean after the purple envelope though. So this would be the 3rd thing.

supahstahxruv

Bronze

Post by supahstahxruv » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:32 pm

Fresh wrote:
what?
wah how do you know?!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:32 pm

Fresh wrote:
what?
OH that took a second. Rejection letters. Get it? *finger wag*

Also...how do you know this?

math101

Bronze

Post by math101 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:33 pm

eskimo wrote:Also I need to pick uglier avatars so when I don't look like a movie star people aren't disappointed. hahaha
This. I don't think I can live up to ZD.

New avatar?

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:36 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
Fresh wrote:
what?
OH that took a second. Rejection letters. Get it? *finger wag*

Also...how do you know this?
Not in my house...
Anyways.... proof? picture? screenshot? letter date? stats? URM? Index? softs? complete date? a/s/l? Last name initial? Favorite color?

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:37 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:I'm talking about the post card with the little map attached. It was sent out on the 28th so I was gauged that if Columbia did send out acceptances on the 28th like some people said...then I would have it today. But I don't so that's that. Let's hope that person that said their parent said 1/31 was telling the truth.

I have no idea what you're talking about with a pizza box. I got that their magazine and like a 3 page essay from the dean after the purple envelope though. So this would be the 3rd thing.
Yeah, I got the ASW thing yesterday. Not sure about the postmark date on it, but I'm in NYC. The pizza box contains a book on the faculty and another book describing specific programs at NYU. Pics are here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... a#p3865536. I received neither the pizza box nor the magazine, though I stopped into the law school recently and picked up the last two issues of the magazine. It does a hell of a good job selling the school. I'm going to call NYU and ask where my damn pizza box is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”