Columbia 2011! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
betweenthetwo

New

Re: Columbia 2011!

Post by betweenthetwo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Is the theory that being international would help a candidate? Or is this all about email / snail mail?

Weirdlog

Bronze

Post by Weirdlog » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:31 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:What is the school's incentive for using snail mail and not e-mail for rejections? It almost certainly costs more money and time to mail letters than send e-mails, and it creates far more problems in terms of mail getting lost/people waiting longer.

I just don't understand.
Columbia has been THE WORST this admissions cycle. The worst.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:31 pm

Weirdlog wrote:
WhatSarahSaid wrote:What is the school's incentive for using snail mail and not e-mail for rejections? It almost certainly costs more money and time to mail letters than send e-mails, and it creates far more problems in terms of mail getting lost/people waiting longer.

I just don't understand.
Columbia has been THE WORST this admissions cycle. The worst.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:34 pm

I just don't understand.
If you get rejected it means you probably didn't have Columbia numbers in the first place. Which means that you paid them $75 to look at your application. I am sure that there are people out there who appreciate the courtesy of a physical letter telling them they didn't get in, instead of being rejected by an e-mail.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:36 pm

bdubs wrote:

I just don't understand.
If you get rejected it means you probably didn't have Columbia numbers in the first place. Which means that you paid them $75 to look at your application. I am sure that there are people out there who appreciate the courtesy of a physical letter telling them they didn't get in, instead of being rejected by an e-mail.
This. After all the grouching about UVA's "expedience over formality" email, I can see why this would be nicer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xtine

Bronze

Post by xtine » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:37 pm

bdubs wrote:

I just don't understand.
I see what you mean, but personally I'd feel extra-rejected that they felt the need to send a whole physical letter about my inadequacy :lol:

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:37 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
GraniteState wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
Isn't being international sort of a binary state?

You either are or you aren't?
It's not as binary as you may think especially for ls admissions.
So what you're saying is, Canada.
Sorry it was a dumb West Wing quote:

Claypool: How pregnant is your ex-wife?
Toby Ziegler: As I understand pregnancy, it's a binary state. You either are or you aren't.
There is no such thing as a dumb West Wing quote!

WhatSarahSaid

Bronze

Post by WhatSarahSaid » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:38 pm

bdubs wrote:

I just don't understand.
Maybe. Is there anyone reading this who feels this way?

bendurnotes4me

New

Post by bendurnotes4me » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:38 pm

I see what you mean, but personally I'd feel extra-rejected that they felt the need to send a whole physical letter about my inadequacy :lol:[/quote]

+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:39 pm

bdubs wrote:

I just don't understand.
I agree. It's probably their way of being nice about it. I was personally hoping for an email if I get dinged so at least I could let this go faster. No mail AT ALL for me today. Luckily I hadn't seen this snail mail rejection stuff first or I would've been too scared to look. Too bad they're probably not sending dings by priority mail and that there will definitely be several batches. Otherwise I could have rejoiced at the fact that if it was sent 2/1 I would've got mine today.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:39 pm

*Continues to ignore the turn this thread has taken*

Stop worrying people. I still believe. *Cues Journey*

CM612

Bronze

Post by CM612 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:40 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:
bdubs wrote:

I just don't understand.
Maybe. Is there anyone reading this who feels this way?
No! My mail goes to my permanent address. I'm dreading the excited call from my parents about "a COLUMBIA envelope".

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:41 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:*Continues to ignore the turn this thread has taken*

Stop worrying people. I still believe. *Cues Journey*
Lol I love that song. Especially when it comes on the radio during traffic after a long day of work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:41 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:There is no such thing as a dumb West Wing quote!
If only for this reason, I wouldn't mind us both ending up at Michigan. (OR CLS, but I'm not going to get in.)

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:42 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote: Sorry it was a dumb West Wing quote:

Claypool: How pregnant is your ex-wife?
Toby Ziegler: As I understand pregnancy, it's a binary state. You either are or you aren't.
There is no such thing as a dumb West Wing quote!
+1!

xtine

Bronze

Post by xtine » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:42 pm

a few more rejections are popping up on LSN...

http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

jd2014!

Bronze

Post by jd2014! » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:43 pm

Dulc! You know what this may mean?? You weren't rejected! Letters were sent out on Monday, and since you are in New York, you would have gotten it already. Not held, not WL'd, not rejected must be ... accepted!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Spykuh

Bronze

Post by Spykuh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:43 pm

someone asked me yesterday to post a pic of my 1/31 VCE, but i don't actually know how to do that...if anyone still wants me to, please tell me how to post a pic!

p.s. to the people who are quoting West Wing...I really hope we get to be classmates!

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:44 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:There is no such thing as a dumb West Wing quote!
If only for this reason, I wouldn't mind us both ending up at Michigan. (OR CLS, but I'm not going to get in.)
Yes! Or Penn! :D

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Spykuh wrote:someone asked me yesterday to post a pic of my 1/31 VCE, but i don't actually know how to do that...if anyone still wants me to, please tell me how to post a pic!

p.s. to the people who are quoting West Wing...I really hope we get to be classmates!
Take pic with cell phone, MMS message it to your email. Go to imageshack.com and upload it.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Spykuh wrote:someone asked me yesterday to post a pic of my 1/31 VCE, but i don't actually know how to do that...if anyone still wants me to, please tell me how to post a pic!

Upload to http://tinypic.com/ and then paste the image URL using the image tag at the top of the post box.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:44 pm

VCE in CA!! Postmarked 1/31. I submitted 1/11 and went complete 1/18. Early January applicants should expect some movement. Stats were 3.84/172

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:46 pm

betweenthetwo wrote:Is the theory that being international would help a candidate? Or is this all about email / snail mail?
Hasto do w/ mail nothing else.

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:47 pm

bhan87 wrote:VCE in CA!! Postmarked 1/31. I submitted 1/11 and went complete 1/18. Early January applicants should expect some movement. Stats were 3.84/172
!!!!!!!!!!!! holy crap, I submitted 1/12 and went complete 1/20. I need to run home. NOW!

easternstandardtime1

New

Post by easternstandardtime1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Do all the 1/28 and 1/31 admits have later complete dates (december and january)??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”