Columbia 2011! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Confused7

Silver

Re: Columbia 2011!

Post by Confused7 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:26 am

So I remember this time when I sent a letter from Queens to Morningside Heights, thinking that it would only take a day, but they apparently didn't receive it until almost a week later. This was in the midst of the December storm too. :D Wishful thinking or substantial/helpful information?

Srggrumbles, several of us NYCers have yet to receive anything...keep hanging in there! Hopefully today or in the next few days if it's because of the storm.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:29 am

hellome wrote:
CastleRock wrote:I have some good/bad news for all the international applicants. I spoke with Columbia's admission office this morning and they informed me that emails are not sent out to every international applicant. She said that only in certain cases (which she failed to specify) are emails sent out prior to decision letters. So if this is the case, we could be in but not find out for the next couple weeks (approximately three weeks for me if NYU was any indication).

This sounds a bit strange and suspect to me, but this is the information given to me from the Columbia admissions office. I am hoping that it is correct.
I wanted to post this before i go to bed:
I just got the admit email from Columbia about an hour ago.

Best of luck today!!
Well that's depressing.

bkhopeful

New

Post by bkhopeful » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:32 am

thunderflesh wrote:Take heart guys; NYC mail can be really funky.

When NYU letters were going out, people who lived 20 minutes away from me (I live in Greenpoint) were getting their letter two days before me. And that's for mail originating in the village, mail being sent from the UWS might have a totally different distribution path.

My fingers are perpetually crossed for all of you! npw itis relly hhrd tooo typpe
I live less than 20 min away from you in Bklyn. Nothing in the mail yesterday. My NYU status changed to DL Sent on Mon, 12/6 and I received the letter on Mon, 12/13. I am not losing hope for Columbia til Friday, especially with this weather!

bkhopeful

New

Post by bkhopeful » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:38 am

Hey, also, not to derail the discussion of NYC mail fails, but why are people thinking about choosing Columbia over NYU? I know there are prolly some legit reasons (particularly for those interested in big law or business), but I'm struggling to find any for myself besides rankings. Genuinely curious and looking for feedback.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:40 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:I haven't checked in here since people first started getting the vom-velopes. Are NYCers freaking out if they didn't get one yesterday? Are we holding out hope for today? I'm in Brooklyn and had an empty mailbox last night...
Grumbles! We have been freaking out, but perhaps irrationally. Only two (I think) people in Manhattan got letters yesterday, so there are definitely a lot left to go in that borough. At least one person got one in Queens. Several people got them in Brooklyn. However, due to the little bit of snow yesterday and the general weirdness of NYC mail patterns, there is speculation that not all is lost. The fact that you haven't gotten yours yet adds to this optimism. I forget - are you in Central Brooklyn?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kaitlyn

Bronze

Post by Kaitlyn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:41 am

Last edited by Kaitlyn on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:42 am

Good luck today everyone <3

Congrats Kaittt
Last edited by thecilent on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:42 am

Kaitlyn wrote:Just got in today!!

congrats!!! Location?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:42 am

Mail? Where?

Congrats!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

123kl

Bronze

Post by 123kl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:42 am

CONGRATS! Where do you live? Near NYC?

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:44 am

ETA: 160/AA/URM- Think the package came in today (east coast). I'm in Paris right now, and my Dad called me to tell me the good news.
I love how we all jumped on this Congrats!! I'll join te chorus of dates/location. :D

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:50 am

bkhopeful wrote:Hey, also, not to derail the discussion of NYC mail fails, but why are people thinking about choosing Columbia over NYU? I know there are prolly some legit reasons (particularly for those interested in big law or business), but I'm struggling to find any for myself besides rankings. Genuinely curious and looking for feedback.
Well not everyone who gets into cls gets into nyu. Small group probably? But still true. But lay prestige is a factor too I guess. Butt in the end this discussion in a different thread somewhere that's probably already been done many... many times.

Congrats today! And goodluck to nycers!

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:51 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:I haven't checked in here since people first started getting the vom-velopes. Are NYCers freaking out if they didn't get one yesterday? Are we holding out hope for today? I'm in Brooklyn and had an empty mailbox last night...
Grumbles! We have been freaking out, but perhaps irrationally. Only two (I think) people in Manhattan got letters yesterday, so there are definitely a lot left to go in that borough. At least one person got one in Queens. Several people got them in Brooklyn. However, due to the little bit of snow yesterday and the general weirdness of NYC mail patterns, there is speculation that not all is lost. The fact that you haven't gotten yours yet adds to this optimism. I forget - are you in Central Brooklyn?
Two Manhattan, three Brooklyn, & two Queens if my spreadsheet's right (I stopped paying attention for a while). For last year it was the first two days for NYCers, but what with the lovely weather we're having, maybe tomorrow too?

& congrats!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CosmoLaw

Bronze

Post by CosmoLaw » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:53 am

CastleRock wrote:
hellome wrote:
CastleRock wrote:I have some good/bad news for all the international applicants. I spoke with Columbia's admission office this morning and they informed me that emails are not sent out to every international applicant. She said that only in certain cases (which she failed to specify) are emails sent out prior to decision letters. So if this is the case, we could be in but not find out for the next couple weeks (approximately three weeks for me if NYU was any indication).

This sounds a bit strange and suspect to me, but this is the information given to me from the Columbia admissions office. I am hoping that it is correct.

Best of luck today!!
Well that's depressing.

Are you in Toronto Hellome? and Congratulations btw

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:55 am

CosmoLaw wrote:
CastleRock wrote:]
Well that's depressing.

no she's not in na.

Kaitlyn

Bronze

Post by Kaitlyn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:55 am

Last edited by Kaitlyn on Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:55 am

glitched wrote:
bkhopeful wrote:Hey, also, not to derail the discussion of NYC mail fails, but why are people thinking about choosing Columbia over NYU? I know there are prolly some legit reasons (particularly for those interested in big law or business), but I'm struggling to find any for myself besides rankings. Genuinely curious and looking for feedback.
Well not everyone who gets into cls gets into nyu. Small group probably? But still true. But lay prestige is a factor too I guess. Butt in the end this discussion in a different thread somewhere that's probably already been done many... many times.

Congrats today! And goodluck to nycers!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... Law_School

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:59 am

Kaitlyn wrote:
Confused7 wrote:

ETA: 160/AA/URM- Think the package came in today (east coast). I'm in Paris right now, and my Dad called me to tell me the good news.
I love how we all jumped on this Congrats!! I'll join te chorus of dates/location. :D
Thanks everyone! I've been avoiding this thread like the plague because I thought waiting for Columbia would be too torturous with the lack of status checker and all. My family is based in Manhattan which is where the mail arrived.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Congrats Kaitlyn!!!

lotus924

New

Post by lotus924 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:00 pm

thunderflesh wrote:

They might have said that b/c of Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if they just did snail mail for Toronto but e-mail for, I don't know, Prague.
I agree. It's highly plausible that international applicants in the Americas would not get emails
whereas applicants from other continents do get them.

I'm in Asia and received the email on the 25th :D
Last edited by lotus924 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 pm

lotus924 wrote:
thunderflesh wrote:

They might have said that b/c of Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if they just did snail mail for Toronto but e-mail for, I don't know, Prague.
I agree. It's highly plausible that international applicants in the Americas would not get emails
whereas applicants from other continents do get them.

I'm in Asia and received the email on the 25th :D
Congrats!!

CosmoLaw

Bronze

Post by CosmoLaw » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 pm

CastleRock wrote:
CosmoLaw wrote:
Well that's depressing.

no she's not in na.

Still makes me feel better. B/c I think so far, the emails have been sent to those OUTSIDE na. so we don't necessarily have to give up hope.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:08 pm

hellome wrote:

Best of luck today!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Also, the attitude in this thread is in desperate need of a lolcat.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Congrats Kaitlyn.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:10 pm

CosmoLaw wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
CosmoLaw wrote:
Well that's depressing.

no she's not in na.

Still makes me feel better. B/c I think so far, the emails have been sent to those OUTSIDE na. so we don't necessarily have to give up hope.
Also the emails seem to be trickling out one by one, not in one big batch, so it's possible that those abroad who haven't got one yet could still get one later on.

CosmoLaw

Bronze

Post by CosmoLaw » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:15 pm

kazu wrote: Also the emails seem to be trickling out one by one, not in one big batch, so it's possible that those abroad who haven't got one yet could still get one later on.

That too!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”