Columbia 2011! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WestOfTheRest

Silver

Re: Columbia 2011!

Post by WestOfTheRest » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46 am

I think that they are possibly struggling to decide with my file. I'm not sure if they can decide whether or not I am HYS material and I'm not sure they want to give up $$ to lure me away from those schools.

Ctgrapefruit

New

Post by Ctgrapefruit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:06 am

tkgrrett wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:
kruiz88 wrote:Just got a fee wavier for CLS. Have a 3.9, 163 and URM(PR). Do you think my chances at getting admitted warrant the $12 this late in the cycle, or am I just paying $12 to increase their selectivity rating?
3.97/168 PR/other hispanic here...i was held.
3.7/177/AA male and held as well. If you are serious about CLS I suggest you write them a tailored PS about your interest in that school in particular.
Is this some kind of joke?

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:27 am

CastleRock wrote:I think that they are possibly struggling to decide with my file. I'm not sure if they can decide whether or not I am HYS material and I'm not sure they want to give up $$ to lure me away from those schools.
At least in my case, doesn't seem they were too concerned with YP. I was admitted with above 75th numbers + good softs, but with no money. Taking their chances, I guess? Or maybe (my hope) there's significant unnamed $ coming.

?

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:26 am

Do you guys really think that Columbia is so intent on helping its yield rate? I haven't done research, but why do I think that it would take much more than a better yield rate for Columbia to unseat S and climb the rankings......

Sorry to hear about the holds, though...

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:30 am

Why do people think they're holding more and more qualified people this year? Last year holds went out by snail mail and I'm betting there were just as many. To me, it just seems like more people because the holds are being mass emailed, so everyone's coming here to report that on the same days. I certainly don't have proof of the opposite. By the end of last cycle, everyone hated Columbia too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:36 am

sarahlawg wrote:Why do people think they're holding more and more qualified people this year? Last year holds went out by snail mail and I'm betting there were just as many. To me, it just seems like more people because the holds are being mass emailed, so everyone's coming here to report that on the same days. I certainly don't have proof of the opposite. By the end of last cycle, everyone hated Columbia too.
...on the bright side, they are being environmentally-friendly this year.

logistikon

New

Post by logistikon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:41 am

Ctgrapefruit wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:
kruiz88 wrote:Just got a fee wavier for CLS. Have a 3.9, 163 and URM(PR). Do you think my chances at getting admitted warrant the $12 this late in the cycle, or am I just paying $12 to increase their selectivity rating?
3.7/177/AA male and held as well. If you are serious about CLS I suggest you write them a tailored PS about your interest in that school in particular.

hahahahh RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!? WTF :?: :!: :!: :!: :?: :?: :?: :(

edit: I take it back, that case could very easily be YP.

alphamoose

Bronze

Post by alphamoose » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:57 am

Fall grade request this morning (I am a forgotten). For those of you that have done this- How did you format your email? Just give them your gpa? All the classes you took with the grades? In a pdf or the body of the email?

arkansawyer

Bronze

Post by arkansawyer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:09 am

alphamoose wrote:Fall grade request this morning (I am a forgotten). For those of you that have done this- How did you format your email? Just give them your gpa? All the classes you took with the grades? In a pdf or the body of the email?
I just thanked them for considering my application and gave my fall gpa in the body of the email. I also scanned my fall transcript and attached it in the same email. Got accepted this week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

miracle2011

Bronze

Post by miracle2011 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:09 am

alphamoose wrote:Fall grade request this morning (I am a forgotten). For those of you that have done this- How did you format your email? Just give them your gpa? All the classes you took with the grades? In a pdf or the body of the email?
I copied and Pasted my online transcripts into the body of the email.

Did anyone get a confirmation email after sending them your fall grades?

alphamoose

Bronze

Post by alphamoose » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:12 am

miracle2011 wrote:

Thanks very much. I'm about to send mine and I'll let you know if they acknowledge it.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:23 am

Ctgrapefruit wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:
Not a joke. I have a very hard time believing Columbia does YP. FWIW, my PS was very generic. I used the space to discuss my background and hardships overcome and connected it to something on my resume but nothing necessarily law or columbia specific.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 am

tkgrrett wrote:Not a joke. I have a very hard time believing Columbia does YP. FWIW, my PS was very generic. I used the space to discuss my background and hardships overcome and connected it to something on my resume but nothing necessarily law or columbia specific.
your app must have been terrible. I mean, if the best it got you was hls... What a joke.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mel2010

Bronze

Post by mel2010 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:11 pm

alphamoose wrote:
miracle2011 wrote:

Thanks very much. I'm about to send mine and I'll let you know if they acknowledge it.
Yeah I listed my classes and the grades, along with semester GPA. They replied the same day saying it had been added to my file.

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:14 pm

I never got a fall grade request :( I know that they're usually a good sign, but I've convinced myself that they didn't bother asking because I already updated my transcripts through LSAC.

math101

Bronze

Post by math101 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 pm

arkansawyer wrote:
I just thanked them for considering my application and gave my fall gpa in the body of the email. I also scanned my fall transcript and attached it in the same email. Got accepted this week.
Congrats, arkansawyer! Looks like no Jeff Bridges for me at Michigan.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:18 pm

CastleRock wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Not a joke. I have a very hard time believing Columbia does YP. FWIW, my PS was very generic. I used the space to discuss my background and hardships overcome and connected it to something on my resume but nothing necessarily law or columbia specific.
your app must have been terrible. I mean, if the best it got you was hls... What a joke.
Well that was quite... unpleasant. Did your sunny disposition come through in your application? :D

As far as the YP, they seem to be dedicated to pissing people off. You really need to want the Columbia prestige to put up with this crap. I don't see why they wouldn't soft YP people like you who are obviously going to have better options, as long as they're giving everyone else rough handling as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alphamoose

Bronze

Post by alphamoose » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:19 pm

arkansawyer wrote:
This just gave me far too much hope, :shock: . Congrats to you!

For the person wondering before- they just acknowledged my email less than five minutes after I sent it.

7ED

Bronze

Post by 7ED » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 pm

ahduth wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
Well that was quite... unpleasant. Did your sunny disposition come through in your application? :D

As far as the YP, they seem to be dedicated to pissing people off. You really need to want the Columbia prestige to put up with this crap. I don't see why they wouldn't soft YP people like you who are obviously going to have better options, as long as they're giving everyone else rough handling as well.
I think CR is being sarcastic... :D

vertex

Bronze

Post by vertex » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:35 pm

Today's the big day, everyone! Hold on to your hats!

bendurnotes4me

New

Post by bendurnotes4me » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:44 pm

vertex wrote:Today's the big day, everyone! Hold on to your hats!
grumble grumble grumble

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:45 pm

bendurnotes4me wrote:
grumble grumble grumble
I feel like someone says something like that more or less every day I've been following this thread.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:47 pm

champsound wrote:
bendurnotes4me wrote:
grumble grumble grumble
I feel like someone says something like that more or less every day I've been following this thread.
Yes, vertex

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:40 pm

They said that when we waited for LSAT scores, now they say that when we wait for decisions... Ugh I am tired of this suspense!

Ctgrapefruit

New

Post by Ctgrapefruit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:41 pm

arkansawyer wrote:
That's great! Congrats :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”