Columbia 2011! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
padthai

Bronze

Re: Columbia 2011!

Post by padthai » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:04 pm

Do you think they ask for it directly so that if your GPA does fall but they decide to accept you, they only have to send in the LSDAS GPA?

archie&veronica

New

Post by archie&veronica » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:14 pm

padthai wrote:Do you think they ask for it directly so that if your GPA does fall but they decide to accept you, they only have to send in the LSDAS GPA?
I think it has more to do with processing time (LSAC takes a while to process transcripts) but that doesn't mean they aren't thinking about us news...

MPeterson

Bronze

Post by MPeterson » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:43 pm

FWIW, I got a request for fall grades, and I have nearly a 4.0.

obrienfa

Bronze

Post by obrienfa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:50 pm

archie&veronica wrote:
padthai wrote:Do you think they ask for it directly so that if your GPA does fall but they decide to accept you, they only have to send in the LSDAS GPA?
I think it has more to do with processing time (LSAC takes a while to process transcripts) but that doesn't mean they aren't thinking about us news...
Agreed.

MPeterson wrote:FWIW, I got a request for fall grades, and I have nearly a 4.0.
I am curious as to what their basis is for requesting fall grades. There have been a lot of almost 4.0ers who are being asked for grades.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:57 pm

Maybe they are trying to "hold" you guys over without actually "holding" you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:09 pm

obrienfa wrote:
archie&veronica wrote:
Agreed.

I am curious as to what their basis is for requesting fall grades. There have been a lot of almost 4.0ers who are being asked for grades.
Yeah I had a 4.+ and they asked for my fall grades. It was weird and troubling.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:25 pm

swc65 wrote:
obrienfa wrote:
archie&veronica wrote:
Agreed.

Yeah I had a 4.+ and they asked for my fall grades. It was weird and troubling.
Looks like they're only asking for grades from those with very high gpas. Are you all reverse splitters?

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:32 pm

CastleRock wrote: Looks like they're only asking for grades from those with very high gpas. Are you all reverse splitters?
They asked for grades from a 3.7 as well (T6 Hopeful)

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:34 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
CastleRock wrote: Looks like they're only asking for grades from those with very high gpas. Are you all reverse splitters?
That's still a decent gpa for Columbia (not great admittedly). I'm just curious what these peoples LSATs look like in comparison to their gpas.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:41 pm

In UG + seriously under consideration = automatic request for grades?

dooterdude11

Bronze

Post by dooterdude11 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:49 pm

bdubs wrote:In UG + seriously under consideration = automatic request for grades?

My lsat is a 171. They requested my grades and I have a 4.0.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:50 pm

dooterdude11 wrote:
bdubs wrote:In UG + seriously under consideration = automatic request for grades?

So you fall into that splitter category. It's still odd. How much could your grades possibly change this semester?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:50 pm

dooterdude11 wrote:

Sounds consistent with my theory. You have a 4.4+ index and are only one point under median.
Last edited by bdubs on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:52 pm

This won't be true, unless your definition of "seriously under consideration" is different from mine. They aren't going to want everyone they accept to send in grade info, too much extra work.

dooterdude11

Bronze

Post by dooterdude11 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:55 pm

And I've also been accepted to nyu, berkeley and got a jr1 from harvard. If that helps.

I wanna know what this grade request business is!!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:56 pm

CastleRock wrote:
This won't be true, unless your definition of "seriously under consideration" is different from mine. They aren't going to want everyone they accept to send in grade info, too much extra work.
They only accept 1,200 people and a good number of them are probably out of UG. Considering the stats for WE at HYS, I would guess that 40-60% or more of accepts are not in UG. It doesn't take long to send an e-mail and read a transcript.

obrienfa

Bronze

Post by obrienfa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:57 pm

CastleRock wrote:
That's still a decent gpa for Columbia (not great admittedly). I'm just curious what these peoples LSATs look like in comparison to their gpas.
I am the 3.7 Habit was talking about. I have a 171 LSAT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:58 pm

obrienfa wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
I am the 3.7 Habit was talking about. I have a 171 LSAT.
So far from what I have seen it looks mostly like borderline LSATs are getting these requests. Although, I've seen one data point that doesn't fit this profile.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:03 pm

CastleRock wrote:So far from what I have seen it looks mostly like borderline LSATs are getting these requests. Although, I've seen one data point that doesn't fit this profile.
You're crazy to think a 4.0 171 is "borderline". The MEDIAN is 172, meaning that somewhere close to 50% of the class is below that. Median GPA is pretty far from 4.0, so I wouldn't call any of these applicants borderline.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:09 pm

bdubs wrote:
CastleRock wrote:So far from what I have seen it looks mostly like borderline LSATs are getting these requests. Although, I've seen one data point that doesn't fit this profile.
You're crazy to think a 4.0 171 is "borderline". The MEDIAN is 172, meaning that somewhere close to 50% of the class is below that. Median GPA is pretty far from 4.0, so I wouldn't call any of these applicants borderline.
http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,5&type=jd
http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

Really? Looks like these candidates are pretty borderline for CLS. Maybe you should check the data before you run your mouth.

obrienfa

Bronze

Post by obrienfa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:11 pm

CastleRock wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Really? Looks like these candidates are pretty borderline for CLS. Maybe you should check the data before you run your mouth.
That is just a fraction of the 120 students they admitted last year....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:12 pm

obrienfa wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
bdubs wrote:

That is just a fraction of the 120 students they admitted last year....
What's your point?

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:14 pm

dooterdude11 wrote:And I've also been accepted to nyu, berkeley and got a jr1 from harvard. If that helps.

I wanna know what this grade request business is!!
I think it's generally a good sign, although definitely strange given that you all seem to have such high GPAs. I was a splitter w/ a lower LSAT and a 3.75 and got the request, and then an acceptance letter in January two application seasons ago (as did most others who got grade requests). It's definitely better than getting put on hold.

obrienfa

Bronze

Post by obrienfa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:15 pm

CastleRock wrote: What's your point?
That you can't say certain LSAT/GPA's are boardline with that small of a sampling. Maybe we won't get immediately but we all still have a decent chance looking at medians and whatnot.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:18 pm

CastleRock wrote:
bdubs wrote:

If they were gunning to increase their numbers then these people would all get in. Showing mixed results doesn't mean that they are "borderline" applicants, just that admission is not guaranteed. Very few outright rejects in this group.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”