Columbia 2011! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ghost

Silver

Re: Columbia 2011!

Post by Ghost » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:27 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:
Ragged wrote:Completion pending still. Any thoughts on Columbia at sticker? Cuz I don't think I will get any dinaro from them, given I get in.
Looking at it from a purely monetary standpoint (assuming HYS are out of question): I'm not getting a penny either, unfortunately. $180k is a lot of money but NYU and Chicago run at the same cost. Penn is only 6k less a year and Michigan and Virginia are 10k less a year. Unless I got a LOT of money at Penn, Columbia is the only obvious choice to me. Or if I got a decent amount at NYU.
I looked at a spreadsheet another TLS user made, so this may be wrong, but the spreadsheet showed Chicago and Michigan being significantly cheaper than Columbia/NYU.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:30 pm

My goals are biglaw and it seems that Columbia still enjoys solid placement rates.

Do you guys think I can leverage Columbia acceptance to get money from Chicago/NYU?

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:31 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:39 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:44 pm

Ragged wrote:My goals are biglaw and it seems that Columbia still enjoys solid placement rates.

Do you guys think I can leverage Columbia acceptance to get money from Chicago/NYU?
Nope. CLS really isn't consider better than NYU by enough to warrant this.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:51 pm

CastleRock wrote:
Ragged wrote:My goals are biglaw and it seems that Columbia still enjoys solid placement rates.

I would definately take Columbia over NYU/Chicago all things being equal. But I guess there is many who wouldn't.

JoeShmoe11

Bronze

Post by JoeShmoe11 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:56 pm

Knock wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:
Ragged wrote:Completion pending still. Any thoughts on Columbia at sticker? Cuz I don't think I will get any dinaro from them, given I get in.
Looking at it from a purely monetary standpoint (assuming HYS are out of question): I'm not getting a penny either, unfortunately. $180k is a lot of money but NYU and Chicago run at the same cost. Penn is only 6k less a year and Michigan and Virginia are 10k less a year. Unless I got a LOT of money at Penn, Columbia is the only obvious choice to me. Or if I got a decent amount at NYU.
I looked at a spreadsheet another TLS user made, so this may be wrong, but the spreadsheet showed Chicago and Michigan being significantly cheaper than Columbia/NYU.
I was just using tuition plus housing costs from LSN but you may very well be right if you include living expenses and whatnot since NYC is super expensive. For me NYC is less than an hour from home so it's a no-brainer for me. For someone willing to go anywhere or not from the area though I could see money pulling them toward Chicago, Virginia, Michigan, or Penn.

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:17 pm

Ragged wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

I would definately take Columbia over NYU/Chicago all things being equal. But I guess there is many who wouldn't.
Same.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:33 pm

shanemahsa wrote:
Ragged wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Same.
Just. So. Much. Money...If you fail to land BigLaw with no interest in PI, with 200k of debt, totally screwed. It's no longer the case that 99.9% of Columbia grads don't have to worry about finding whatever job they want, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

ihatelawschool

New

Post by ihatelawschool » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi. CLS 2L here. I was so effing frustrated with my finals and papers and all other BS so I came here to post. And yes the days when 99.9% of CLS kids got what they wanted was longgggg gone.

FWIW, it seems like the job market is a bit better than 2011 (although I know several above-medians with no jobs yet).

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Is it worth EDing with a 173 and 3.65 GPA? or am I out regardless?

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:09 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:Is it worth EDing with a 173 and 3.65 GPA? or am I out regardless?
With above median LSAT you have a chance. I'd say its worth it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JoeShmoe11

Bronze

Post by JoeShmoe11 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:11 pm

Ragged wrote:
curryinaninstant wrote:Is it worth EDing with a 173 and 3.65 GPA? or am I out regardless?
With above median LSAT you have a chance. I'd say its worth it.
DEFINITELY ED (if Columbia is truly your first choice), you're slightly above one median and a decent amount below another.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:25 pm

Knock wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:
Knock - dulcatis subtracted expected scholarships for her numbers from Chicago and Mich. So it showed CN @ sticker v. Chi/Mich not @ sticker, which I think was a lot of the difference.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:25 pm

Oh, and also - COMPLETE FINALLY. Just got the email.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:55 pm

eskimo wrote:
Knock wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:
Knock - dulcatis subtracted expected scholarships for her numbers from Chicago and Mich. So it showed CN @ sticker v. Chi/Mich not @ sticker, which I think was a lot of the difference.
Yeah Knock for that one, the red totals are the sticker cost of each school. They're not too too different.

But I would def take Columbia > NYU > Chicago, so woo! We'll see what happens in January...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:56 pm

I would. Remember sticker tho.

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:11 pm

im pretty sure you missed the ED deadline for Columbia bud

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:11 pm

eskimo wrote:Oh, and also - COMPLETE FINALLY. Just got the email.

+ 1

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:22 pm

HowdyYall wrote:
im pretty sure you missed the ED deadline for Columbia bud
Haha oh yeah... are you asking for next year? Or did you already apply and want validation?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:34 pm

Asking for next year. I don't really care between NYU and Columbia but would prefer Columbia by the tiniest of margins. I'd be satisfied either way. I'm going to have apps in September 1st. Already working on personal statements etc.

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:09 am

curryinaninstant wrote:Asking for next year. I don't really care between NYU and Columbia but would prefer Columbia by the tiniest of margins. I'd be satisfied either way. I'm going to have apps in September 1st. Already working on personal statements etc.
Baller. Yeah, Columbia Univ. campus is amazing. That's what did it for me. Tho I'm one of those people that needs to click with the campus.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:24 am

dulcatis wrote:
eskimo wrote:
Knock wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:
Yeah Knock for that one, the red totals are the sticker cost of each school. They're not too too different.

But I would def take Columbia > NYU > Chicago, so woo! We'll see what happens in January...
RC fail on my behalf then. I apologize for any confusion, and retract my previous statement.

hellome

Bronze

Post by hellome » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:00 am

shanemahsa wrote:
curryinaninstant wrote:Asking for next year. I don't really care between NYU and Columbia but would prefer Columbia by the tiniest of margins. I'd be satisfied either way. I'm going to have apps in September 1st. Already working on personal statements etc.
Baller. Yeah, Columbia Univ. campus is amazing. That's what did it for me. Tho I'm one of those people that needs to click with the campus.
hm, isn't the law school not near this beautiful campus?
i would love to go to columbia as well but the building itself looks, well, like a freaking prison :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”