Columbia 2011! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
arism87

Silver

Re: Columbia 2011!

Post by arism87 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Confused7 wrote:
akikaze wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
Sorry, I was referring to their recent blog posted in which they said "Please note that this year we are exploring new options to contribute to a greener planet and will be sending many decisions by email." Of course, they then listed "Admit" as one of the categories under this, and we all know that Admits still receive physical VCEs. I assumed that all others would receive decisions via email, but this may be wrong.
That's what I wanted to know; thanks!
Sure! Hopefully in the years to come they'll adopt e-mail for everything so us poor applicants won't have to ponder about snowstorms and VCEs. :D
Seriously! They could've gone ahead and sent me the hold to spare my dad some serious mailbox checking! lol

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:07 pm

law_monkey wrote:OMG just caught up on the 20 PAGES!!! since I had to leave 3 hours ago. I can't believe the holds continued on for another hour!!! I'm also sitting at no hold/no VCE, but I don't have solid numbers by any means. For myself personally (and thus not for the whole forgotten group), I am terrified by the fact that I didn't get held. I'm hesitant to consider myself a part of the forgotten group until tomorrow, which I'm guessing may be when they start the reserve/ding emails. :cry: I'm officially enjoying what will probably be the last night I can hope to get into Columbia Law. But I still think some of you non-holds with higher numbers should keep the hope alive! :D
Um we are fine.

mel2010

Bronze

Post by mel2010 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:07 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
arism87 wrote:Can a hold even be a mistake? It's by definition a lack of a decision, it's not like they can't admit people tomorrow.

Not sending a VCE, now that's a mistake, lol
imo, having a hold that says you'll get a decision no later than 4/22 might as well be a waitlist, so I just don't understand why they even bothered. I was personally being a bit sarcastic with my post and was half expecting someone to post the NYU no precedent lolcats, but it didn't happen.
I'm resigned to writing Columbia off.

after I write and send them my LOCI
A hold means they're still currently considering you, and you'll know by the end of April. Waitlists, which they'll probably start sending out soon to people like me in the unknown category, will mean that you are out of contention until May, at which point (if they still have spots to fill, doesn't seem likely), they will pick some from the waitlist.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:10 pm

mel2010 wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
arism87 wrote:Can a hold even be a mistake? It's by definition a lack of a decision, it's not like they can't admit people tomorrow.

Not sending a VCE, now that's a mistake, lol
imo, having a hold that says you'll get a decision no later than 4/22 might as well be a waitlist, so I just don't understand why they even bothered. I was personally being a bit sarcastic with my post and was half expecting someone to post the NYU no precedent lolcats, but it didn't happen.
I'm resigned to writing Columbia off.

after I write and send them my LOCI
A hold means they're still currently considering you, and you'll know by the end of April. Waitlists, which they'll probably start sending out soon to people like me in the unknown category, will mean that you are out of contention until May, at which point (if they still have spots to fill, doesn't seem likely), they will pick some from the waitlist.
the inevitability of a wl/reject makes the two barely distinguishable to me.
but I'm being negative because I've had a bad night in several ways.
/pessimism.

akikaze

New

Post by akikaze » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:11 pm

Did anyone get flat-out rejected today? Or were all those who received a letter just held and waitlisted?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jd2014!

Bronze

Post by jd2014! » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:12 pm

akikaze wrote:Did anyone get flat-out rejected today? Or were all those who received a letter just held and waitlisted?

No waitlists have gone out yet. Just holds. Holds are not the same as WL. At COlumbia, the Wl is called "reserve."

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:OMG just caught up on the 20 PAGES!!! since I had to leave 3 hours ago. I can't believe the holds continued on for another hour!!! I'm also sitting at no hold/no VCE, but I don't have solid numbers by any means. For myself personally (and thus not for the whole forgotten group), I am terrified by the fact that I didn't get held. I'm hesitant to consider myself a part of the forgotten group until tomorrow, which I'm guessing may be when they start the reserve/ding emails. :cry: I'm officially enjoying what will probably be the last night I can hope to get into Columbia Law. But I still think some of you non-holds with higher numbers should keep the hope alive! :D
Um we are fine.
Maybe you are. These Ivy League schools don't seem to want to acknowledge my applications. Can I still apply to Penn? Maybe they can blow me off too. :D

But... yeah. Technical error seems kind of unlikely, because I'd think they'd have immediately followed it up with a retraction? I think someone just didn't stop to consider whether it was lame to declare a huge swathe of their applicant pool second class citizens. The price of prestige.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:13 pm

akikaze wrote:Did anyone get flat-out rejected today? Or were all those who received a letter just held and waitlisted?
I don't think I saw any "reserve"s reported... did anyone actually report a reserve e-mail?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Um we are fine.
Youuuuu are fine. Your numbers are way more solid than mine. That's why I don't think all the non-holds are getting the same decisions. I think Knock said earlier that it means the VCE is already in the mail, or rejections will be coming later. Rather than it being either/or I think both are likely true depending on the applicant. Either way I would feel a lot better if I'd been held at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:14 pm

bdubs wrote:
I don't think I saw any "reserve"s reported... did anyone actually report a reserve e-mail?
Those probably come out later in the cycle, along with Reserves. Does anyone know if CLS sent out "holds" this early last year?

akikaze

New

Post by akikaze » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:15 pm

jd2014! wrote:

No waitlists have gone out yet. Just holds. Holds are not the same as WL. At COlumbia, the Wl is called "reserve."
Sorry, I meant "held or waitlisted/on reserve" -- and I don't know, I think earlier there were some people who DID get put on reserve and then others are reporting that on LSN (though they may be misinterpreting their hold letters).

Any confirmation appreciated.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:16 pm

ahduth wrote: Maybe you are. These Ivy League schools don't seem to want to acknowledge my applications. Can I still apply to Penn? Maybe they can blow me off too. :D

But... yeah. Technical error seems kind of unlikely, because I'd think they'd have immediately followed it up with a retraction? I think someone just didn't stop to consider whether it was lame to declare a huge swathe of their applicant pool second class citizens. The price of prestige.
If you apply to Penn now, I think they'd blow you off too lol

I think the hold works for Harvard, but not for CLS.

FWIW they sent a "holdish" email at Michigan but it was worded better.

jd2014!

Bronze

Post by jd2014! » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:16 pm

Confused7 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Those probably come out later in the cycle, along with Reserves. Does anyone know if CLS sent out "holds" this early last year?

Got my hold letter in late Feb last year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:17 pm

akikaze wrote:
jd2014! wrote:

Sorry, I meant "held or waitlisted/on reserve" -- and I don't know, I think earlier there were some people who DID get put on reserve and then others are reporting that on LSN (though they may be misinterpreting their hold letters).

Any confirmation appreciated.
I looked at some of the lsn profiles and they reported they get held but put in wl

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:17 pm

law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Um we are fine.
Youuuuu are fine. Your numbers are way more solid than mine. That's why I don't think all the non-holds are getting the same decisions. I think Knock said earlier that it means the VCE is already in the mail, or rejections will be coming later. Rather than it being either/or I think both are likely true depending on the applicant. Either way I would feel a lot better if I'd been held at this point.
I am just glad I will get a decision sooner rather then april (hopefully). I would like to have some closure. So when people ask me where I am going I can say Michigan instead of probably Michigan.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:19 pm

Confused7 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
it's worth noting that last year they were snail mail...don't know how much longer that would make the process take to get out to applicants, but that may account for why they came out later than this year's email. who knows, though.

akikaze

New

Post by akikaze » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:20 pm

law_monkey wrote:Either way I would feel a lot better if I'd been held at this point.
With ~2-3 notable outliers, I'll note that the overall statistical quality of the "no response" pool is slightly lower than that of the "hold" pool.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vertex

Bronze

Post by vertex » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:20 pm

Tomorrow is the last big wave of admits! Everyone hold on to your hats!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:21 pm

vertex wrote:Tomorrow is the last big wave of admits! Everyone hold on to your hats!
I was waiting for this... :-)
Last edited by bdubs on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:21 pm

ahduth wrote:

r6
dulcatis
justhoping
RJ127
absolutazn87
forward
Philip_J_Fry
Kent M
TrustMeI'mAnActress
glitched
ahduth
bmore
LAWLAW09
bistduverrueckt

So I spend a day away from my laptop and chaos descends upon the thread. Count me in among those VCE-less people who haven't been held. I'm really worried about what this means though :(

arkansawyer

Bronze

Post by arkansawyer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:22 pm

bistduverrueckt wrote:
ahduth wrote:

r6
dulcatis
justhoping
RJ127
absolutazn87
forward
Philip_J_Fry
Kent M
TrustMeI'mAnActress
glitched
ahduth
bmore
LAWLAW09
bistduverrueckt
arkansawyer
This is depressing

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:I think the hold works for Harvard, but not for CLS.

FWIW they sent a "holdish" email at Michigan but it was worded better.
Yeah, Harvard's Harvard, but CLS has a downtown competitor.

boushi

Bronze

Post by boushi » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:24 pm

Woke up abroad to a hold email. 172, 3.88, late Oct. submission. A bit surprised because my foreign language skills and research interests line up very nicely with Columbia's institutes. My LSN is in my profile.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:26 pm

akikaze wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Either way I would feel a lot better if I'd been held at this point.
With ~2-3 notable outliers, I'll note that the overall statistical quality of the "no response" pool is slightly lower than that of the "hold" pool.
I mean, the thing is, some of the people who haven't heard yet will be rejected (unless they just...didn't reject anyone and decided to hold them, which doesn't make sense. Also not saying that the people who responded will get rejected, just some people will be). So that in and of itself doesn't mean too much?

& I think that the held group also has a few really really amazing candidates, but I think that the non-hold group has some good people too. This is all v confusing.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:26 pm

bistduverrueckt wrote:So I spend a day away from my laptop and chaos descends upon the thread. Count me in among those VCE-less people who haven't been held. I'm really worried about what this means though :(
Seriously. I think we are all very, very confused. :|

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”