Columbia 2011! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
annie2010

Bronze

Re: Columbia 2011!

Post by annie2010 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:40 pm

vertex wrote:Don't make fun of me, but I ran the LSN data we have from last year through a multivariate analysis (in JMP, for all you engineers out there), and here are a few findings that might help ease the anxiety:

The best indicator of what "wave" you hear back in ED is LSAT*GPA. No surprise there. But what will surprise you is that those of you who went complete later (like post-11/8), higher LSAT and GPA scores correlate with later decision dates. Essentially, lower GPA and LSAT combined with a later complete date means they will hear back earlier than those of you with a higher score in any of those.

To put it another way, those of you with good scores (170+, 3.6+) that went complete late (11/8 or later), your acceptance will come, just not right away. This is based on last year's data and it has iffy statistical significance (P=.12)

Anyway, just a rough analysis, and it's probably all wrong. The point is this: if either of your scores good, don't look at last year's LSN data that shows a bunch of rejections/waitlists for the latter wave of ED decisions and think you won't get an acceptance, since the vast majority of those negative decisions were people who didn't have solid numbers.

Sit tight everyone, we're gonna be classmates next year. And I'm gonna need to borrow your notes... :wink:
yes, you can borrow my notes. well a few times until we're even and then you have to start sharing too, cause it sounds like youre pretty smart... :D

rupret1

Bronze

Post by rupret1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:41 pm

vertex wrote:Don't make fun of me, but I ran the LSN data we have from last year through a multivariate analysis (in JMP, for all you engineers out there), and here are a few findings that might help ease the anxiety:

The best indicator of what "wave" you hear back in ED is LSAT*GPA. No surprise there. But what will surprise you is that those of you who went complete later (like post-11/8), higher LSAT and GPA scores correlate with later decision dates. Essentially, lower GPA and LSAT combined with a later complete date means they will hear back earlier than those of you with a higher score in any of those.

To put it another way, those of you with good scores (170+, 3.6+) that went complete late (11/8 or later), your acceptance will come, just not right away. This is based on last year's data and it has iffy statistical significance (P=.12)

Anyway, just a rough analysis, and it's probably all wrong. The point is this: if either of your scores good, don't look at last year's LSN data that shows a bunch of rejections/waitlists for the latter wave of ED decisions and think you won't get an acceptance, since the vast majority of those negative decisions were people who didn't have solid numbers.

Sit tight everyone, we're gonna be classmates next year. And I'm gonna need to borrow your notes... :wink:
Huh?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:45 pm

Vertex, you are the cutest. I hope you're right!

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:02 pm

Jeez vertex you are so awesome! Thread MVP nomination.

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JoeShmoe11

Bronze

Post by JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:52 pm

Wow vertex you are the best. Haha thanks for all the work! This seems like good news to me even if the correlation is small. That's a lot of work for someone who already got accepted - do you love us that much or do you REALLY like math?

catsparka

Bronze

Post by catsparka » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:43 pm

vertex, you had me at multivariate analysis.

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:53 pm

You're either God, or you have way, way too much time on your hands. Either way, this is AWESOME.

vertex

Bronze

Post by vertex » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:17 pm

I just love you guys, and I know how much it sucks to be in this waiting game. But don't trip because tomorrow's the big day! Hold on to your hats!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

moxiepostulate

Bronze

Post by moxiepostulate » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Just catching up on the lolcats and Vertex love going on in this thread. Definitely kudos to you Vertex, some pretty sweet analysis ;-) Would be proud to call someone like you a classmate! Here's hoping.

As for myself, I FINALLY went complete today. A very nice birthday present. Now just another two months or so of torture... Sigh.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:59 pm

moxiepostulate wrote:Just catching up on the lolcats and Vertex love going on in this thread. Definitely kudos to you Vertex, some pretty sweet analysis ;-) Would be proud to call someone like you a classmate! Here's hoping.

As for myself, I FINALLY went complete today. A very nice birthday present. Now just another two months or so of torture... Sigh.
After I went complete around Dec 12th last year, I found out in early February that I was placed on Hold. I would be reevaluated in April.

In early June I found out that I was placed on the first wait-list. I decided to drop off the list and reapply next year. I imagine that I would probably have landed on the second wait-list and never heard anything since.

Do not take 8 weeks for granted...

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:01 pm

Z3RO wrote:
moxiepostulate wrote:Just catching up on the lolcats and Vertex love going on in this thread. Definitely kudos to you Vertex, some pretty sweet analysis ;-) Would be proud to call someone like you a classmate! Here's hoping.

After I went complete around Dec 12th last year, I found out in early February that I was placed on Hold. I would be reevaluated in April.

In early June I found out that I was placed on the first wait-list. I decided to drop off the list and reapply next year. I imagine that I would probably have landed on the second wait-list and never heard anything since.

Wow.... what a downer. You're really bringing the mood of the boards down tonight.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:03 pm

CastleRock wrote:
Z3RO wrote:

Wow.... what a downer. You're really bringing the mood of the boards down tonight.
Sorry. I'm not trying to do that. I know everybody's neurotic about their decisions. I went through this last year with bad result, so I guess I have nothing but bummer stories to tell about the process.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:09 pm

If you think about it, it's really only a month and some odd days.
A month isn't so long!!

JoeShmoe11

Bronze

Post by JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:12 pm

Z3RO wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
Z3RO wrote:

Sorry. I'm not trying to do that. I know everybody's neurotic about their decisions. I went through this last year with bad result, so I guess I have nothing but bummer stories to tell about the process.
Keep your chin up! Its beyond your control now. Just relax and try to realize it won't be the end of the world no matter what happens.

moxiepostulate

Bronze

Post by moxiepostulate » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:30 pm

Agreed!

Heck, I figure I applied to enough places that I'm getting something legit/interesting in the mail at least once every week or two now :)

Hearing back from one school has made the whole crazy process a lot more enjoyable, true story. Eventually I'll get in or be rejected by all the schools, and I'll end up going somewhere quite lovely because I worked my tail off and have lived like a shut-in for the better part of a year.

Really, that's the case for all of us, right? We're smart cookies all 'round and we fight until we get where we want to be. *positive vibes to thread*

Even the endless mailings from schools I don't intend to apply to are sort of nice. I never get anything in the mail usually, and seeing my name on a piece of paper is pleasant in a narcissistic sort of way. :oops:

Besides, I just get to be excited for all of you early birdies as you hear back in January! I'm crossing my fingers for February. Better a vomit colored envelop than a valentine!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:33 pm

moxiepostulate wrote:Agreed!

Heck, I figure I applied to enough places that I'm getting something legit/interesting in the mail at least once every week or two now :)

Hearing back from one school has made the whole crazy process a lot more enjoyable, true story. Eventually I'll get in or be rejected by all the schools, and I'll end up going somewhere quite lovely because I worked my tail off and have lived like a shut-in for the better part of a year.

Really, that's the case for all of us, right? We're smart cookies all 'round and we fight until we get where we want to be. *positive vibes to thread*

Even the endless mailings from schools I don't intend to apply to are sort of nice. I never get anything in the mail usually, and seeing my name on a piece of paper is pleasant in a narcissistic sort of way. :oops:

Besides, I just get to be excited for all of you early birdies as you hear back in January! I'm crossing my fingers for February. Better a vomit colored envelop than a valentine!
+1 for all the crap about the mail. Sad, I know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:44 pm

moxiepostulate wrote:Better a vomit colored envelop than a valentine!
bahaha

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:06 pm

Same here! I'm even looking forward to the lower schools that I probably won't go to now because at least it's something exciting in between all the bigger decisions. Good luck EDers. RDers, our time will come!!!

In over 30 days

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:11 pm

moxiepostulate wrote: Heck, I figure I applied to enough places that I'm getting something legit/interesting in the mail at least once every week or two now :)
Or, if you're me, hearing dead silence for a few weeks at a time, getting a flood of updates, and then resuming silence... :shock:

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:14 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
moxiepostulate wrote: Heck, I figure I applied to enough places that I'm getting something legit/interesting in the mail at least once every week or two now :)
Or, if you're me, hearing dead silence for a few weeks at a time, getting a flood of updates, and then resuming silence... :shock:
Yeah that's actually a more accurate description.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kak5n

Bronze

Post by kak5n » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:22 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
+1

7ED

Bronze

Post by 7ED » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:55 am

Lol. I still can't figure out what a "vomit coloured envelope" would look like.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:01 am

7ED wrote:Lol. I still can't figure out what a "vomit coloured envelope" would look like.
I would imagine the same way a vomit flavored Bertie Bott's bean tastes...

kak5n

Bronze

Post by kak5n » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:33 am

law_monkey wrote:
7ED wrote:Lol. I still can't figure out what a "vomit coloured envelope" would look like.
I would imagine the same way a vomit flavored Bertie Bott's bean tastes...
LOVE.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”