Columbia 2011! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jrose5

Silver

Re: Columbia 2011!

Post by jrose5 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:34 pm

ExpectLess wrote:In after hold. :)

Are Hamiltons/Butlers mentioned in the scanned PDF for those that received them (ie, can I assume I did not get one)? Or in snail mail afterwards?

Edit: Also have pretty good stats and sent a LOCI a while ago, fwiw.
Congratulations!!

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:35 pm

I believe your award would be mentioned in the email scan that you received.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:36 pm

incompetentia wrote:First step toward confirmation that the hold will not be used in the same manner this year.

My stats aren't quite that high, but hoping I can still sneak in.
How so?

I mean, I guess it shows that they put a lot of people with good #s on hold, but then I feel like they should have gotten in initially, anyway.

For those of us borderline applicants and below, I'm not sure if this is supposed to make us feel more hopeful. :( I'm too pesimisitc, perhaps.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:36 pm

Congrats to the new admits!

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:38 pm

jrose5 wrote: How so?

I mean, I guess it shows that they put a lot of people with good #s on hold, but then I feel like they should have gotten in initially, anyway.
Still different.

For the borderline applicants, different can't really be worse, especially taking into account applicant volume this year.

I feel like I have auto-admit stats but split so not surprised if I'm counted as borderline

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:39 pm

incompetentia wrote:
jrose5 wrote: How so?

Still different.

For the borderline applicants, different can't really be worse, especially taking into account applicant volume this year.

I feel like I have auto-admit stats but split so not surprised if I'm counted as borderline
They took people off the hold last year, so I don't really see the difference?

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:43 pm

Whoa, this is awesome! A BIG CONGRATS to everyone today who had been waiting foreeeever. Looks like they're already starting to go through holds then? This gives me hope!

padthai

Bronze

Post by padthai » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:44 pm

Are Hamiltons/Butlers mentioned in the scanned PDF for those that received them (ie, can I assume I did not get one)? Or in snail mail afterwards?

Ooh another one! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
How good is "pretty good"? Please PM if you're uncomfortable revealing in public. Thanks!

Looks like the next big(?) wave has started for this week.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:46 pm

padthai wrote:

Ooh another one! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
How good is "pretty good"? Please PM if you're uncomfortable revealing in public. Thanks!

Looks like the next big(?) wave has started for this week.
Probably will not be a big wave. These posters have really good numbers

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:48 pm

camelcrema wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Just accepted to Columbia after being held an eternity ago. Guess the movement has begun.
Phew. I remember your hold. That's when everyone began to wonder what the hell was going on at Columbia.
Yeah, Im not really sure what the point of their hold is. I never sent an LOCI in so its not like I showed extreme interest and they didnt give me money so no way I could attend even if I wanted.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:51 pm

Taking a brief look at LSN, there were 2 admits last year that admitted to being held, and both received decisions in mid-April or so.

This feels different so far. It may ultimately not be, but it feels that way.

LiveFreeOrLaw

New

Post by LiveFreeOrLaw » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:52 pm

I got in in February. No mention of scholarship yet. Got a response to my email inquiring about $$$ and I was basically told to F off.

I cannot afford CLS/New York COL without scholly.

will withdraw this week.

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:53 pm

incompetentia wrote:Taking a brief look at LSN, there were 2 admits last year that admitted to being held, and both received decisions in mid-April or so.

Were there more admits last year than this year at this point?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 pm

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:I got in in February. No mention of scholarship yet..
If you didn't receive aid with your original acceptance, you will likely not receive aid, I believe.

padthai

Bronze

Post by padthai » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 pm

In case anyone's curious, this is just to confirm that ExpectLess has VERY high stats
LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:I got in in February. No mention of scholarship yet. Got a response to my email inquiring about $$$ and I was basically told to F off.

I cannot afford CLS/New York COL without scholly.

will withdraw this week.
I'm sorry to hear that but thank you! Maybe that'll encourage 1 more acceptance from the hold pool

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Another admit today on LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/goblue222

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 pm

incompetentia wrote:Taking a brief look at LSN, there were 2 admits last year that admitted to being held, and both received decisions in mid-April or so.

Actually I agree (with reservations, since I didn't do EXTENSIVE research into this). By quickly skimming last year's held at columbia thread, it did not seem like many people got off hold. Only ~2 or so got in, and it was well into April.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:56 pm

All of today's admits don't really say much. It's natural that they will accept the high #s first before deliberating on the borderline applicants. Our fate will become clearer in the next few weeks. :( I wouldn't read too much into today - these people probably should have gotten in to begin with.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:08 pm

Confused7 wrote:Another admit today on LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/goblue222
Ay. And he got a higher LSAT in February so he may have helped himself get auto-admit numbers after the hold.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:09 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Another admit today on LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/goblue222
Ay. And he got a higher LSAT in February so he may have helped himself get auto-admit numbers after the hold.
This is definitely true. But I'd still prefer to live in my own happy world and look at today as a hopeful sign for the week! :?

EDIT: Also, why on earth retake a 172 with such a high GPA?!

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:12 pm

Confused7 wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:
This is definitely true. But I'd still prefer to live in my own happy world and look at today as a hopeful sign for the week! :?

EDIT: Also, why on earth retake a 172 with such a high GPA?!
I for one would like to apply for citizenship to your happy world. The one I'm living in now likes to throw nothing but crap my way and the rent is too damn high.

I was thinking the same thing, but then it might have gotten him off hold at Columbia, so I guess I can't fault him too much for it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Knock wrote:
jeng wrote:
jrose5 wrote:[
somehow I had missed law school predictor all this time, too. So I went there, and which number is the "index"? I don't see any numbers on my list that seem right. Under the score column, I have a range of 250 to 3, and under LSAT/GPA ratio, I have numbers that are comparable to the 4.4 (anything from 1.7 to 5.7) but neither of these correlate with the quality of the school, so I don't get it...?

ringdabell

New

Post by ringdabell » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:21 pm

pkt63 wrote:
Knock wrote:
jeng wrote:
somehow I had missed law school predictor all this time, too. So I went there, and which number is the "index"? I don't see any numbers on my list that seem right. Under the score column, I have a range of 250 to 3, and under LSAT/GPA ratio, I have numbers that are comparable to the 4.4 (anything from 1.7 to 5.7) but neither of these correlate with the quality of the school, so I don't get it...?
you put your numbers in and "agree to terms" and then your score shows up in a column next to "Deny" "Accept" thing at each school, I think?

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:28 pm

ringdabell wrote: you put your numbers in and "agree to terms" and then your score shows up in a column next to "Deny" "Accept" thing at each school, I think?
Yeah...I guess I just can't find anything to tell me how to interpret my score. Like, I got 127.3 for Yale, 12.0 for Harvard, 4.4 for Columbia. As examples of places I already know I am accepted to, I got 250 for Berk and 3.5 for UCLA. WTF?

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:30 pm

pkt63 wrote:
Knock wrote:
jeng wrote:
I just plugged in your numbers (173, 3.9) and got 4.453. Congrats and welcome to the 4.4 club!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”