Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cinephile

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby cinephile » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:02 am

voltage88 wrote:Anyone successfully negotiate scholarship/grant money with OSU yet? Is it possible?!

I tried, with no luck. Waiting to hear back about the Moritz Scholarship, but not getting my hopes up.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:54 am

keeran23 wrote:Just made my deposit! Now to look for somewhere to live, I'm lost.

The two biggest landlords near campus are University Manors (http://universitymanors.com/) and Buckeye Real Estate (http://buckeyere.com/search.htm). If you're looking for something upscale right next to the school, you would want to live in the Gateway (--LinkRemoved--). If you still want to live upscale but want to distance yourself from the university environment (there are about 15 bars within 3 blocks of the law school), you'd want to go to The Quarry down on 5th Avenue (http://www.livethequarry.com/index.cfm).

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:06 am

The Quarry is a bit far away and expensive, IMO. Definitely good to check out, but also check out all the apartments along Thurber Dr in Victorian Village/Harrison West :)

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:17 am

AVBucks4239 wrote:
keeran23 wrote:Just made my deposit! Now to look for somewhere to live, I'm lost.

The two biggest landlords near campus are University Manors (http://universitymanors.com/) and Buckeye Real Estate (http://buckeyere.com/search.htm). If you're looking for something upscale right next to the school, you would want to live in the Gateway (--LinkRemoved--). If you still want to live upscale but want to distance yourself from the university environment (there are about 15 bars within 3 blocks of the law school), you'd want to go to The Quarry down on 5th Avenue (http://www.livethequarry.com/index.cfm).

I think The Quarry and The Gateway are overpriced. I love my apartment complex (15 minute city drive from south campus), and if you're willing to live as far away as the Quarry, PM me for the name of my place (which is cheaper, with bigger apartments and recommended 100% on apartmentratings.com).

However, if you want to live closer (which is advisable), this is one complex I checked out during my apartment hunt a year ago that seemed pretty nice:
--LinkRemoved--
I decided against it because there weren't any units with washer/dryer units available, and I loved the place I ended up with. But, Sonnenblick also had good ratings (http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/OH-Columbus-Sonnenblick-Apartments.html), the manager seemed like a really great guy, and it's a 7 minute city drive to the law school.

The Quarry is great if you want to use your rent there to save up to buy one of their properties or if you want/need a lot of amenities (pool, gym, club house, movie room), but as a student, I'm not sure you'd use them.

2014jd

Postby 2014jd » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:20 am

The Gateway is overly expensive for Columbus, but I'm sure it is nice and it is really close to the law school. I agree with lifestooquick that the Quarry is a bit far and expensive though it is certainly do-able. Runaway bay is across the street from the Quarry, and i believe it is less expensive.

You are definitely going to want to look at these apartments for you commit to them, especially if it is on a street with a number for a name (ex. 14th). I suppose that is the advantage to places like the Gateway, Quarry and Runaway Bay, in that you can be pretty sure of what you are getting.

2014jd

Postby 2014jd » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:22 am

Lwoods wrote:I think The Quarry and The Gateway are overpriced. I love my apartment complex (15 minute city drive from south campus), and if you're willing to live as far away as the Quarry, PM me for the name of my place (which is cheaper, with bigger apartments and recommended 100% on apartmentratings.com).

lol at posting at the same time with similar info. And 100% recommended? That's madness!

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:29 am

Lwoods wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:

I think The Quarry and The Gateway are overpriced. I love my apartment complex (15 minute city drive from south campus), and if you're willing to live as far away as the Quarry, PM me for the name of my place (which is cheaper, with bigger apartments and recommended 100% on apartmentratings.com).

However, if you want to live closer (which is advisable), this is one complex I checked out during my apartment hunt a year ago that seemed pretty nice:
--LinkRemoved--
I decided against it because there weren't any units with washer/dryer units available, and I loved the place I ended up with. But, Sonnenblick also had good ratings (http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/OH-Columbus-Sonnenblick-Apartments.html), the manager seemed like a really great guy, and it's a 7 minute city drive to the law school.

The Quarry is great if you want to use your rent there to save up to buy one of their properties or if you want/need a lot of amenities (pool, gym, club house, movie room), but as a student, I'm not sure you'd use them.

I'm pretty open, so I'll out myself here and say that I live at Sonnenblick and HIGHLY recommend it. The washer/dryer situation was the biggest change for me (I'm used to having my own) but the laundry room is never too busy so it's not bad. The manager is the nicest guy ever and the maintenance guy is awesome. The apartments are much bigger than similarly priced ones on the same street. The walls are pretty thin, but I think that's going to be the case anywhere you go. If you get a first floor apartment at Sonnenblick, you actually have a little fenced backyard (I have a dog so this is great for me). There's a pool and a small fitness room. You can walk to the dog park, Giant Eagle, CVS, a couple little food places. A little further walk, but still doable, can get you to Goodale Park, Short North or the Park Street bars.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:44 am

lifestooquick wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I'm pretty open, so I'll out myself here and say that I live at Sonnenblick and HIGHLY recommend it. The washer/dryer situation was the biggest change for me (I'm used to having my own) but the laundry room is never too busy so it's not bad. The manager is the nicest guy ever and the maintenance guy is awesome. The apartments are much bigger than similarly priced ones on the same street. The walls are pretty thin, but I think that's going to be the case anywhere you go. If you get a first floor apartment at Sonnenblick, you actually have a little fenced backyard (I have a dog so this is great for me). There's a pool and a small fitness room. You can walk to the dog park, Giant Eagle, CVS, a couple little food places. A little further walk, but still doable, can get you to Goodale Park, Short North or the Park Street bars.

omg, we would have been neighbors! hahaha. Small world.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:28 am

Withdrew today. It was tough because I'm a Bucks fan through and through. Best of luck to all of you!

2014jd

Postby 2014jd » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:31 am

Did anyone that completed the scholarship acceptance form receive any type of confirmation that it was sent or received?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:46 am

2014jd wrote:Did anyone that completed the scholarship acceptance form receive any type of confirmation that it was sent or received?

I didn't receive anything in my e-mail, but the screen did go to survey monkey saying "thank you".

cj2k14

Postby cj2k14 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:02 am

I took a tour of The Quarry last week before the ASW. The leasing agent said they are at 98% capacity (something like ~660 units on property). From what i saw its 98% undergrad as well. The facilities were nice but like others have said before it seems like a bit too much money especially since it only includes W/D connections. The pools were tiny and I couldn't imagine the hundreds of people there crowding around it at some property events etc.

keeran23

Postby keeran23 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:24 pm

Lwoods wrote:
2014jd wrote:Did anyone that completed the scholarship acceptance form receive any type of confirmation that it was sent or received?

I didn't receive anything in my e-mail, but the screen did go to survey monkey saying "thank you".

Same with me.

And thank you all for the tips on apartments. It seems they market Gateway a lot, but those prices are just too steep. So the hunt continues!

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:50 pm

Has anyone heard back about the Moritz Merit scholarship? I'm curious as to how many semifinalists there are.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:46 pm

I know this is unlikely, but if anybody is considering living in the suburbs and commuting in for class, I own a great condo in the NW suburb of Dublin. It's about 15 miles away from campus. It's a 1100 sq ft 2bedroom/2bathroom that I'll be vacating when I move to either Indiana or Alabama for law school. PM me if you're interested.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:43 pm

cinephile wrote:Has anyone heard back about the Moritz Merit scholarship? I'm curious as to how many semifinalists there are.

I have not, but it's a bit of a long shot for me. The website says they'll notify semifinalists on March 28th.

dans1006

Postby dans1006 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:11 am

So i feel like after 10 weeks, I'm pretty much on the waitlist to be waitlisted. By this point, my app has been reviewed and my bet is they're just not biting. I'm only riding one waitlist and that spot is already taken by my longshot. And when that falls short, UC should be a good fit for me. Does anyone know who to contact to withdraw? Email or phone number?

pcvmeli

Postby pcvmeli » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Lwoods wrote:
cinephile wrote:Has anyone heard back about the Moritz Merit scholarship? I'm curious as to how many semifinalists there are.

I have not, but it's a bit of a long shot for me. The website says they'll notify semifinalists on March 28th.

I got an email yesterday about wanting to set up interviews.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:15 pm

pcvmeli wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Congrats! Aren't you heading to IU, though? Or does this change things?

pcvmeli

Postby pcvmeli » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:23 pm

Lwoods wrote:
pcvmeli wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Congrats! Aren't you heading to IU, though? Or does this change things?

It could change things. I am from Ohio and currently have two siblings living in C-bus. Initially the IU scholarship was my best offer, now I don't know what to do, I guess I'll wait it out.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:10 am

pcvmeli wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Same. Was thinking there'd be a fair amount of semifinalists on TLS. It's such a great opportunity, but I have no idea how many people they're interviewing or what my chances are.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:40 am

Good luck to those of you waiting to hear on the Moritz :)

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:36 am

Does anyone know anything about OSU's study abroad opportunities? I'm visiting Oxford today and could absolutely see myself studying here! I hesitate to use study abroad too much in making a decision in schools, but I'm sort of at that point between three school...Oxford might be a tiebreaker in OSU's favor!

Are their programs competitive? Would being here for a semester hurt any job opportunities in 2L?

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:28 am

After 9 weeks of being IR, do you think it's safe to assume either a WL or Reject?

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:33 am

no, i was literally under review for...3.5 months. OSU doesn't offer in state tuition to outsiders, does it? and also, i am a noob but i said OSU to someone and they said...oklahoma state university? so is that why they say THE OSU? because someone else told me that they said THE OSU because there were a bunch of ohio state universities. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...i'm not cut out to be an aggie. i mean buckeye.

last noob question, what is a buckeye? when i told my gf i got into osu, she said..."oh that school where the guy wears a sweater vest?" and then we googled buckeye - i said i think it was a beaver - she said it was a piece of candy - we googled it and still couldn't figure it out.

okay, /end espresso-induced freak out

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”