Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RTS83

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby RTS83 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:41 pm

I almost walked out at that little sales pitch at the end haha. The rest of the session was great. I loved the dean's speech this morning, and the faculty they chose to speak with us were really top notch. The student panel were wonderful and informative. And Prof. Merritt was wonderful as well. I liked how she gave us a taste of hearsay with the Raleigh case and then left us on a genuinely difficult question of hearsay and how to interpret that particular rule (the dog.)

Great meeting all of you!

2014jd

Postby 2014jd » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:56 pm

Saw this in another thread, but I believe it is the article the dean was referencing Saturday morning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/science/05legal.html

Also, it was great meeting all of you. Looking forward to reuniting in 5 months or so.

lamentable

Postby lamentable » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:15 pm

I left with mix feelings from OSU. Their classrooms and library were pretty drab. Seeing as I would spend a good chunk of my time there, it doesn't make me excited about possibly attending. As a whole, though, I was pretty impressed with OSU. It seemed like they were genuinely trying everything they can to help their students get practical experience. The new corporate fellowship program they set up falls in line with that, and their S.T.A.R. program (the one that lets firms use students for a month or so) struck me as a smart move. Granted, these two things aren't particularly amazing but it shows that the school is willing to try innovative things. I agree with some of the other people here who have talked about housing options: the place they were pitching is pretty unreasonable.

Overall, I really liked OSU. About a month left to make a decision...doesn't feel like it is enough...

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:09 pm

I left before the housing thing (since I already have an apartment in Cbus, lol) so missed that pitch. But yes, you can DEFINITELY find cheaper housing options than the Gateway. http://www.metro-rentals.com is a good site!

I definitely left excited about the fall :) I can't wait! It was also nice to be able to talk to current students with similar interest areas as me to see what they're doing and how they like it there. I think the multiple opportunities to talk with students was the best part of the weekend.

chrisnashville

Postby chrisnashville » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:34 pm

Shoot, I missed this thread before I went, otherwise I would have tried to seek out some other TLS'ers -- I was at ASW this weekend. I never spoke, save for introductions. (I was "Chris from Cincinnati") Didn't get there until Saturday morning, so missed the Friday meet-and-drink :)

I was impressed with the faculty that presented. The mock class was very enjoyable. It was exciting to hear such an impressive prof would be teaching a legal writing section next year :) Our tour guide was a bit of a letdown, which just was luck of the lunch-time draw I suppose. The facilities weren't anything to write home about for sure, though honestly that's of minor importance to me... I love Columbus, and my other serious option (IU) obviously just won't have the name or connections in Ohio that OSU does. Of course, they have offered a ton, ton more money down in Bloomington. I'm visiting there in a couple weeks, and will have to weigh lower debt against the connections OSU will offer in my home state.... and of course the UDF right across the street caught my eye :)

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:15 am

chrisnashville wrote:Shoot, I missed this thread before I went, otherwise I would have tried to seek out some other TLS'ers -- I was at ASW this weekend. I never spoke, save for introductions. (I was "Chris from Cincinnati") Didn't get there until Saturday morning, so missed the Friday meet-and-drink :)

I was impressed with the faculty that presented. The mock class was very enjoyable. It was exciting to hear such an impressive prof would be teaching a legal writing section next year :) Our tour guide was a bit of a letdown, which just was luck of the lunch-time draw I suppose. The facilities weren't anything to write home about for sure, though honestly that's of minor importance to me... I love Columbus, and my other serious option (IU) obviously just won't have the name or connections in Ohio that OSU does. Of course, they have offered a ton, ton more money down in Bloomington. I'm visiting there in a couple weeks, and will have to weigh lower debt against the connections OSU will offer in my home state.... and of course the UDF right across the street caught my eye :)

I'm surprised IUB is going to come in for you at a lower total debt than OSU. IU's out-of-state COA is ridiculous and they don't allow you to gain residency after a year.

Also, re: metro-rentals.com. That's a great site for apartment listings. Columbus' Craigslist page is pretty good, too, and I wouldn't normally pitch any particular place, but I have a really, really great landlord I'd recommend to anyone.

http://www.cwinvestment.com/

Their apartments are a little on the expensive side, but they're excellent about maintenance. The pilot light in our oven wouldn't light, and they had a new stove in the day we called about it. Plus, they have super efficient furnaces in all their units that help with winter heat bills.

chrisnashville

Postby chrisnashville » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:52 am

TTH wrote:I'm surprised IUB is going to come in for you at a lower total debt than OSU. IU's out-of-state COA is ridiculous and they don't allow you to gain residency after a year.

IUB is throwing money around to boost their LSAT medians.

With a 120k scholly at IUB, I'm looking at 60k debt, including COL, over three years.

114k debt at OSU with a 36k scholarship and one year OOS. I'd love to live in Columbus. Never been to Indianapolis. I hear wonderful things about Bloomington, and I'll be there in a few weeks for ASW.

As far as Ohio State fares, I figure being in the middle of a larger city with a very large, loyal alumni base can't be a terrible thing. And their 25% NLJ250+Fed Clerkship placement is clearly better than IUB's, despite a (recently) lower USNWR ranking. The question I have to answer obv is... is this all worth ~50k more debt?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:11 am

TTH wrote:
chrisnashville wrote:Shoot, I missed this thread before I went, otherwise I would have tried to seek out some other TLS'ers -- I was at ASW this weekend. I never spoke, save for introductions. (I was "Chris from Cincinnati") Didn't get there until Saturday morning, so missed the Friday meet-and-drink :)

I'm surprised IUB is going to come in for you at a lower total debt than OSU. IU's out-of-state COA is ridiculous and they don't allow you to gain residency after a year.

Also, re: metro-rentals.com. That's a great site for apartment listings. Columbus' Craigslist page is pretty good, too, and I wouldn't normally pitch any particular place, but I have a really, really great landlord I'd recommend to anyone.

http://www.cwinvestment.com/

Their apartments are a little on the expensive side, but they're excellent about maintenance. The pilot light in our oven wouldn't light, and they had a new stove in the day we called about it. Plus, they have super efficient furnaces in all their units that help with winter heat bills.

IU is cheaper for me, too, and I'm in-state for OSU. It'll be that way for a lot of people this year as IU is giving a lot of $40k/year and full tuition scholarships for 166+ LSAT applicants, whereas OSU's top award is $12k/year (or a little higher for diversity scholarships). Sure, there's the Moritz, but only a couple people get that, and that's only in-state tuition. Plus, IU's campus is gorgeous. I think OSU's job placement is better in large part because there are a lot more jobs in Columbus and Ohio in general than Bloomington and Indiana. But, if you're aiming for New York... IU and OSU are likely interchangeable. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I met a ton of IU alumni in NY and no OSU alumni. I mean, IU alumni pretty much have to leave Bloomington, whereas OSU alumni can easily stay in Columbus. ...sorry for rambling, I've been thinking about this a lot.

Anyway, I also have to give a shoutout for my apartment complex. It has incredible ratings on apartmentratings.com and well-deserved. All non-urgent maintenance has been completed within the business day; all urgent maintenance (no heat) within a few hours. Pet friendly, well priced, off-street parking. It's a 10-20 minute drive (depending on traffic.... usually closer to 10) or 30 minute bus ride to the law school. The bus stop is 2 blocks away.
I don't want to essentially give out my address on here, though, so PM me if you want to learn more.

Chris - who was your tour guide? There was a girl who seemed nice but very uncomfortable at the Friday night event, and I'm pretty sure she was a tour guide. Maybe being an ambassador isn't the best fit for her...

I did really enjoy the student panel. They had a good mix of students, so I think we each had someone we could relate to.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:44 am

I'll throw my hat into the "I love my apartment" ring :) I'm in Victorian Village/Harrison West and my apartment is pretty great. I have a bedroom that is HUGE compared to the other two bedrooms in this price range. If you want more info, PM me. It's pet-friendly with easy dog park access and is about 2 miles from the law school. The only two downsides I've had are 1) our walls aren't the thickest...but what can you expect from an apartment and 2) the water temp had a fluctuation problem. But both of these have been recently addressed by the property manager (he's great and gets things handled fast). The only thing I miss is that I don't have my own washer/dryer, but that's hard to come by in the price range we were looking in.

I also have to say - I lived in German Village the first two years I lived in Columbus. I don't really recommend it for OSU students...it's a bit far IMO. If you ever want/need to take the bus it takes quite awhile from there.

2014jd

Postby 2014jd » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:54 am

Hey Chris, I will also be in Bloomington in a couple weeks for Spring Law Day and am facing the same choice you are (though I am heavily leaning toward OSU). Do you want to try to meet up?

I can also throw in some apartment info: I lived in a Buckeye Real Estate apartment on west 9th for two years and it was decent. Buckeye gets a bad reputation around campus sometimes and from my experience it is mostly undeserved. They are quick with maintenance requests and are obviously a well-run professional company. The only downsides are the towing company they contract with is a little overzealous, and our particular apartment wasn't cleaned prior to us moving in, but when we called them they came over and cleaned it.

Overall I agree with the previous posters about the gateway being an unnecessarily expensive option considering the multitude of apartment options within a 5-10 minute walk to the law school. However, those apartments for the fall start being leased in January and can fill up fast so that might be an issue.

Also, campuspartners.osu.edu, this is probably why the law school pitches the gateway apartments as this organization helped build the South Campus Gateway.

pcvmeli

Postby pcvmeli » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:20 am

I am also trying to make the decision between OSU and IU, as well as a few others. I am glad that you guys keep posting with info about the ASW and SLD. Thanks! Its really helpful to me since I won't be able to make it to anything. :lol:

ajw431

Postby ajw431 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:18 am

I agree with jd2014 about Buckeye Real Estate. I've rented from them the past three years whilst in undergrad and overall have had a really good experience. They're pretty quick about repairs. We had issues earlier this year with our dish washer and they came over the day after we called to install a brand new machine. But definitely keep a lookout for their towing company. Those guys have a freakish knack for finding an incorrectly parked car!

chrisnashville

Postby chrisnashville » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:27 pm

2014jd wrote:Hey Chris, I will also be in Bloomington in a couple weeks for Spring Law Day and am facing the same choice you are (though I am heavily leaning toward OSU). Do you want to try to meet up?

Sure! PM me and we can figure something out. I believe some of the TLSers are meeting up at a bar in Bloomington, per another thread in the Class of 2014 forum, but I'm not sure there are any specific plans yet.

Lwoods wrote:Chris - who was your tour guide? There was a girl who seemed nice but very uncomfortable at the Friday night event, and I'm pretty sure she was a tour guide. Maybe being an ambassador isn't the best fit for her...

Hmmm, how to describe her.. Shorter brunette who rarely smiled? :) I don't remember her name. I remember thinking, "Wow, I wonder how she fell into this gig. Certainly seems like she'd rather be somewhere else today." If anyone in that tour group with me was trying to find a reason to cross out OSU, they certainly could have used the negative vibe from that tour as an excuse. But I won't rag on her any more than that :)

dans1006

Postby dans1006 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm starting to feel like UC is going to be a better fit for me whether or not OSU ever decides to accept or reject me. Still I'm startled by all the negativity coming out of the Moritz ASW. I really dug there open house. Maybe some people just had bad tour guides who hate there lives right now. I really expected a lot more "OMG I'm so excited to be going... This weekend made up my mind" talk.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:00 pm

dans1006 wrote:I'm starting to feel like UC is going to be a better fit for me whether or not OSU ever decides to accept or reject me. Still I'm startled by all the negativity coming out of the Moritz ASW. I really dug there open house. Maybe some people just had bad tour guides who hate there lives right now. I really expected a lot more "OMG I'm so excited to be going... This weekend made up my mind" talk.

fwiw, I am excited now after the ASW. I had a good time. I think the SBA social the night before and the student panel were better opportunities to get to know the current students / get a feel for the atmosphere than the tour was. The tour was super short (15 minutes), and classrooms can only be so spectacular.

But, the stuff that I've been excited about (corporate fellowship program, entrepreneurial business law clinic, hiring of Davidoff FT), I already knew about.

The current 1L class has at least a handful of cool guys (as does the 0L class ;)).

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:07 pm

dans1006 wrote:I'm starting to feel like UC is going to be a better fit for me whether or not OSU ever decides to accept or reject me. Still I'm startled by all the negativity coming out of the Moritz ASW. I really dug there open house. Maybe some people just had bad tour guides who hate there lives right now. I really expected a lot more "OMG I'm so excited to be going... This weekend made up my mind" talk.

My mind was already made up but I can say that I definitely left with the "I'm so excited I can't wait to start!" feeling :) It's actually made going to work tough because I'm even more excited than I was!

chrisnashville

Postby chrisnashville » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Let me tag along with the previous posts! I missed the Friday night social event, so there were no alcohol-fueled bonding sessions with future classmates or current 1Ls to speak fondly of for me. :) I was staying with a friend of mine in Columbus, and I said to her, "I'm not sure if I'm giving OSU a fair shot in my mind" as I was getting ready Saturday morning. Before I went, I was so overwhelmed with an offer from another school, that I had been spending much of my time researching that school and not OSU (or UC, actually, another school I'm mulling over.)

That said, I was really excited about OSU when I left. The faculty, the clinics (I'm particularly interested in the legislative clinic), the student panel, and the connections the school has in the city made me re-think everything later that night. Yes, I had a crappy tour, but I'm not about to let one overly subdued "Student Ambassador" really make any effect on my decision:) Columbus is a great city (I spent several weekends up there when I was an undergrad at Ohio U)....

To be honest, if IU (other school) didn't offer me so much damn money, I'd have probably accepted my admission right there. As it is, I'll be at IU in a couple weeks and then have a few days to make a decision. Argh!

dans1006

Postby dans1006 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:14 am

Well that is good to hear. I'm glad you guys are still pumped about Moritz. This friday will be 8 weeks under review at OSU so hopefully I'll hear something in the next few days. I got a surprise scholarship offer from my undergrad's law school so it may not make a difference. I would still really like to know though.

gummy19vp

Postby gummy19vp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:52 pm

waitlisted via email a few minutes ago will be withdrawing right away good luck to all those attending next year

TigerBall56

Postby TigerBall56 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:02 pm

I could not get off of work in Philly on Friday so I could not be there until Saturday but it was a great experience (despite the weather!). My family is made up of Ohio-for-lifers so finally being a student in an OSU classroom was quite entertaining for me (even if only for a day). I had a nice conversation with Dean Michaels and was very, very impressed. He seems to be very down to earth. I think OSU is being very progressive in attacking the depleted job market (clinics, mentor programs, etc.) and I think you really have to ignore some of the resources they provide you to not come out with some decent opportunities.

I started reading this thread about a week ago so I was a little out of the loop but I wish I would have been able to connect some of your forum names to actual faces. However, if I did meet you I definitely enjoyed it.

I am from Columbus so I got to share a nice night out Park Street with my high school buddies. Always a good time down there!

Still working on the financials with a few schools but being at OSU is definitely a VERY real possibility for me.

trayball23

Postby trayball23 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:03 pm

Does anyone know the deadline on that leadership scholarship?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:12 pm

trayball23 wrote:Does anyone know the deadline on that leadership scholarship?

I imagine it's the same as the application scholarship. There are multiple, and they appear to be awarded on a rolling basis.

ZRay1229

Postby ZRay1229 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:38 pm

Recieved and email today telling me that I would not be getting any scholarships :( It was probably a combination of my borderline numbers (161, 3.95) and the fact that I was Early Decision. They did however add this little nugget at the end of the email:

"In the coming months, some of the students who were offered scholarships may choose to attend other law schools or not attend law school at all. In late April to early May, we will do a second round review of available funds that may be offered as scholarships to those who were not awarded during the first round. If we are able to offer you a scholarship at that time, we will notify you as soon as possible."

So my fingers are crossed. Also it was nice seeing a lot of you in person at ASW (even though I missed the Friday night portion). Hope to see you all in the fall!

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:02 pm

ZRay1229 wrote:Recieved and email today telling me that I would not be getting any scholarships :( It was probably a combination of my borderline numbers (161, 3.95) and the fact that I was Early Decision. They did however add this little nugget at the end of the email:

"In the coming months, some of the students who were offered scholarships may choose to attend other law schools or not attend law school at all. In late April to early May, we will do a second round review of available funds that may be offered as scholarships to those who were not awarded during the first round. If we are able to offer you a scholarship at that time, we will notify you as soon as possible."

So my fingers are crossed. Also it was nice seeing a lot of you in person at ASW (even though I missed the Friday night portion). Hope to see you all in the fall!

FWIW, after the deposit deadline when they look at what scholly money has been left on the table, they prioritize giving money to people who got none before giving more money to people who got some.

ZRay1229

Postby ZRay1229 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:05 pm

TTH wrote:
ZRay1229 wrote:Recieved and email today telling me that I would not be getting any scholarships :( It was probably a combination of my borderline numbers (161, 3.95) and the fact that I was Early Decision. They did however add this little nugget at the end of the email:

FWIW, after the deposit deadline when they look at what scholly money has been left on the table, they prioritize giving money to people who got none before giving more money to people who got some.

That's good to know... Thanks :) Do you happen to know the deposit deadline?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”