Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JuliaHenry

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby JuliaHenry » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:38 am

Just got in via e-mail. 161, 3.61.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:57 am

Slightly random question - what's everyone wearing for ASW? Both the Friday reception and all day Saturday. Are we supposed to dress in business type attire?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:23 pm

JuliaHenry wrote:Just got in via e-mail. 161, 3.61.

Congrats! I stalked your posts a little, and it seems we have a similar background (I just moved from NY where I worked for a big firm). Do you think you'll make your way to Columbus or are you likely to stay in the Northeast?

lifestooquick wrote:Slightly random question - what's everyone wearing for ASW? Both the Friday reception and all day Saturday. Are we supposed to dress in business type attire?

I'll probably wear whatever I wear to work on Friday... since the current forecast is rain, that probably means dress because I hate wet hems. Rain again on Saturday, so again, probably a dress or skirt/blouse combo.

I went to Fordham's ASD, and people there were in a mix... from casual to suits. I like to err on the side of over dressed, so I'll probably be in business casual. (Of course, I've noticed my definition of business casual is much less conservative now that I work for a major retailer than it was a year ago when I worked at a law firm... :oops: )

RTS83

Postby RTS83 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:50 pm

Congrats Julia!

I'm probably wearing some black pants, black sweater over collared shirt w/tie. Lady friend wants to wear a black dress to the social. Play it safe, but not overly so seems to be the rule...I don't want to be the only guy in a suit...

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:02 pm

dans1006 wrote:I actually hadn't heard about that. I'm going to talk with UC about that tomorrow since i'm already admitted there and see if they have a better understanding of what that will mean for post graduate education. I will also call the GI Bill hotline and see if they can give me any info. I hope you're right though. I only have 2 years of GI Bill left going into law school so I'll have to figure something out for that last year but that's fine. Are you committed to OSU and I'm assuming you're prior service?
Good luck with that hotline, they suck. I've done some researching with other schools and it seems that how I described it is the case, but no school financial aid officer is willing to swear by it just yet, as the VA is still working their bureaucratic magic. I'm actually not going to OSU at all, just happened to see your post, but yes, I'm prior service.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Well, I applied on September 17th and can honestly now say that I should know within about 2 weeks. My latest email from them said I would have a decision by the 15th. Just because of the timing I have had to pretty much plan on attending another school. It sucks because I can't be happy that I got in, upset that I got dinged, or even annoyed because I got waitlisted.

This 6 month process seems like it has taken forever, specifically for OSU. I live in Florida but my grandfather is an OSU grad and my wife's family is from Columbus and are huge OSU fans. So, needless to say, since early December I have been hearing "Have you heard anything from Ohio State?" and my response has been "anytime now". Anytime now...

dans1006

Postby dans1006 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Congrats Julia! Do you mind sharing when you went under review? We have similar #s and I'm sitting at a little over 6 weeks under review. Just wondering if this week might be the week.

RTS83

Postby RTS83 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Your deferment makes little sense to me tbh. I'm sorry your experience with OSU has been less than stellar, even more sorry that you have to watch others apply later and be accepted before you :(

dans1006

Postby dans1006 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:37 pm

charlesxavier wrote:Well, I applied on September 17th and can honestly now say that I should know within about 2 weeks. My latest email from them said I would have a decision by the 15th. Just because of the timing I have had to pretty much plan on attending another school. It sucks because I can't be happy that I got in, upset that I got dinged, or even annoyed because I got waitlisted.

This 6 month process seems like it has taken forever, specifically for OSU. I live in Florida but my grandfather is an OSU grad and my wife's family is from Columbus and are huge OSU fans. So, needless to say, since early December I have been hearing "Have you heard anything from Ohio State?" and my response has been "anytime now". Anytime now...

That's brutal. I can't stand the wait. Ive only been UR for just over 6 weeks and its driving me nuts. Maybe you'll hear today. Julia got good news today and the two of you have really similar #s. Best of luck!

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:02 pm

RTS83 wrote:Congrats Julia!

I'm probably wearing some black pants, black sweater over collared shirt w/tie. Lady friend wants to wear a black dress to the social. Play it safe, but not overly so seems to be the rule...I don't want to be the only guy in a suit...

My immediate boss dresses like that frequently and my cube neighbor (an OSU alumna) teases him for dressing as a stereotypical Miami (of OH) guy. I think it's a good look, though.

RTS83

Postby RTS83 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:10 pm

Lwoods wrote:
RTS83 wrote:Congrats Julia!

My immediate boss dresses like that frequently and my cube neighbor (an OSU alumna) teases him for dressing as a stereotypical Miami (of OH) guy. I think it's a good look, though.

Lol I have definitely been known to pull out the argyle from time to time...and I'm from around Oxford so, I say he looks pretty snazzy as well!

JuliaHenry

Postby JuliaHenry » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:53 pm

Lwoods wrote:

Congrats! I stalked your posts a little, and it seems we have a similar background (I just moved from NY where I worked for a big firm). Do you think you'll make your way to Columbus or are you likely to stay in the Northeast?

lifestooquick wrote:Slightly random question - what's everyone wearing for ASW? Both the Friday reception and all day Saturday. Are we supposed to dress in business type attire?

I'll probably wear whatever I wear to work on Friday... since the current forecast is rain, that probably means dress because I hate wet hems. Rain again on Saturday, so again, probably a dress or skirt/blouse combo.

I went to Fordham's ASD, and people there were in a mix... from casual to suits. I like to err on the side of over dressed, so I'll probably be in business casual. (Of course, I've noticed my definition of business casual is much less conservative now that I work for a major retailer than it was a year ago when I worked at a law firm... :oops: )

Thanks! I don't know if I'm going to be able to bring myself to leave the northeast, though OSU is tempting. My parents really pushed me to apply and, because of my lackluster LSAT, I wanted to make sure I had all my bases covered. Mortiz seems wonderful, I just don't know if I could handle moving back to the midwest...what about you?

edited to add: the only reason i would have trouble "handling" the move would be because of people i would miss...nothing against the midwest, of course!
Last edited by JuliaHenry on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

JuliaHenry

Postby JuliaHenry » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:55 pm

dans1006 wrote:

Congrats Julia! Do you mind sharing when you went under review? We have similar #s and I'm sitting at a little over 6 weeks under review. Just wondering if this week might be the week.

Thanks! I went under review in late December...the 28th I believe? I hadn't any news for a long time, so don't lose hope!

dans1006

Postby dans1006 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Jeffro wrote:
dans1006 wrote:I actually hadn't heard about that. I'm going to talk with UC about that tomorrow since i'm already admitted there and see if they have a better understanding of what that will mean for post graduate education. I will also call the GI Bill hotline and see if they can give me any info. I hope you're right though. I only have 2 years of GI Bill left going into law school so I'll have to figure something out for that last year but that's fine. Are you committed to OSU and I'm assuming you're prior service?
Good luck with that hotline, they suck. I've done some researching with other schools and it seems that how I described it is the case, but no school financial aid officer is willing to swear by it just yet, as the VA is still working their bureaucratic magic. I'm actually not going to OSU at all, just happened to see your post, but yes, I'm prior service.

Well, I hope you're right. That would be great. Good luck where ever you end up Jeffro.

moritzian

Postby moritzian » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:23 pm

dans1006 wrote:
Jeffro wrote:

Well, I hope you're right. That would be great. Good luck where ever you end up Jeffro.
Its true- Effective Aug 1 Post 911 will pay for in-state graduate price (the full 22k). I had it verified by the Vet guy at OSU...plus you get the monthly stipend (9 months I believe).

dans1006

Postby dans1006 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:52 pm

moritzian wrote:
dans1006 wrote:
Jeffro wrote:

Its true- Effective Aug 1 Post 911 will pay for in-state graduate price (the full 22k). I had it verified by the Vet guy at OSU...plus you get the monthly stipend (9 months I believe).

That is awesome ... That will handle years 1 and 2. Hopefully I can find a way to take care of 3 by working and saving. Thanks for the confirmation!

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:59 pm

dans1006 wrote:
moritzian wrote:"Its true- Effective Aug 1 Post 911 will pay for in-state graduate price (the full 22k). I had it verified by the Vet guy at OSU...plus you get the monthly stipend (9 months I believe).
That is awesome ... That will handle years 1 and 2. Hopefully I can find a way to take care of 3 by working and saving. Thanks for the confirmation!
Yeah I stay on top of all of their changes. For private schools it's going to switch to $17,500/yr flat, regardless of what state or program - in case you're looking anywhere else. I don't know how likely it is, but I have heard of some people getting VA to approve an extra year of Chapter 33 benefits to finish a degree program. There's also always Chapter 31 VR&E benefits, if you qualify.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:05 pm

^Based on this exchange I went ahead and made a post regarding veterans benefits. Sorry about hijacking the Ohio State thread, hopefully future conversations such as the one above can go on in this new thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=148871

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:42 pm

According to the confirmation email i received, we are supposed to dress business casual both days.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:29 pm

313D313 wrote:

According to the confirmation email i received, we are supposed to dress business casual both days.

Thanks! :) I got that right after I asked on here...it's like they read my mind LOL!

Also - those who've been part of the email chain...looks like the Student Bar Association is already hosting a social at The Big Bar & Grill so we can all just head there :)

clearfire

Postby clearfire » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:17 pm

When is the SBA social? I'm from Columbus, admitted to Moritz but might be headed out of state, may stop by the Big Bar because I work all weekend and can't get to the admitted students stuff.

2014jd

Postby 2014jd » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:28 am

lifestooquick wrote:
Also - those who've been part of the email chain...looks like the Student Bar Association is already hosting a social at The Big Bar & Grill so we can all just head there :)

Can anyone confirm that The Big Bar is formerly known as Paninis or if it has something to do with Little Bar? I guess I need to work on keeping up with the campus drinking scene

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am

2014jd wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:

Can anyone confirm that The Big Bar is formerly known as Paninis or if it has something to do with Little Bar? I guess I need to work on keeping up with the campus drinking scene

The Facebook page for The Big Bar & Grill "likes" The Little Bar, so... I think they may be related.

Also, random... the Arnold Sports Festival is this weekend in Columbus. You've all been warned. If we go out after the SBA social, let's stick to South Gateway and stay away from the Arena District lest we see body builders with fake tans in tank tops.

2014jd

Postby 2014jd » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:42 am

Lwoods wrote:fake tans in tank tops.

Shit, that's what I was planning on wearing on Friday. With slacks and a tie of course

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:44 am

JuliaHenry wrote:Thanks! I don't know if I'm going to be able to bring myself to leave the northeast, though OSU is tempting. My parents really pushed me to apply and, because of my lackluster LSAT (I had a huge project at work the 6 weeks leading up to the October test and my sister's wedding was the weekend of the December test, woo!), I wanted to make sure I had all my bases covered. Mortiz seems wonderful, I just don't know if I could handle moving back to the midwest...what about you?

edited to add: the only reason i would have trouble "handling" the move would be because of people i would miss...nothing against the midwest, of course!

I'm already back in the Midwest... moved here for my husband's job last June. So, I'll be staying but hope to move to Chicago or New York after this. Originally, Chicago was more in the lead, but now I'm thinking I'm more of a New Yorker. Good luck with your decision!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”