Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
clearfire
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby clearfire » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:46 pm

I got the first letter maybe 4 or 5 days after the acceptance email. It's just a simple letter, then an admitted students booklet a few days after that.

2014jd
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby 2014jd » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:39 pm

Notor wrote:OSU also seems to not like splitters.


I don't know where this sentiment of OSU doesn't like splitters comes from. Yes, they seem to have a GPA floor of around 3.0 but people with sub 25th GPA (as long as its above 2.99) and an above 75th LSAT seem to have no problem getting in. I am a part of that category. I'm not an extreme splitter by any means but I do have a sub 25th GPA and above 75th lsat and I was accepted with scholarship.

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:45 pm

2014jd wrote:
Notor wrote:OSU also seems to not like splitters.


I don't know where this sentiment of OSU doesn't like splitters comes from. Yes, they seem to have a GPA floor of around 3.0 but people with sub 25th GPA (as long as its above 2.99) and an above 75th LSAT seem to have no problem getting in. I am a part of that category. I'm not an extreme splitter by any means but I do have a sub 25th GPA and above 75th lsat and I was accepted with scholarship.

I fall into this group as well. I'm also in-state which may have helped.

User avatar
mcubberly
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby mcubberly » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:46 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
2014jd wrote:
Notor wrote:OSU also seems to not like splitters.


I don't know where this sentiment of OSU doesn't like splitters comes from. Yes, they seem to have a GPA floor of around 3.0 but people with sub 25th GPA (as long as its above 2.99) and an above 75th LSAT seem to have no problem getting in. I am a part of that category. I'm not an extreme splitter by any means but I do have a sub 25th GPA and above 75th lsat and I was accepted with scholarship.

I fall into this group as well. I'm also in-state which may have helped.


+1

User avatar
Rivers711
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby Rivers711 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:20 pm

In! Applied 2/1. 162 3.3 URM from Miami, FL. Anyone know how long it takes to recieve scholarship/grant info?

RTS83
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:23 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby RTS83 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Congrats! I got mine about 1.5 weeks after acceptance, good luck! Will you be attending an ASW?

User avatar
Rivers711
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby Rivers711 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:06 pm

RTS83 wrote:Congrats! I got mine about 1.5 weeks after acceptance, good luck! Will you be attending an ASW?


I'm planning to attend the April ASW. I have to start looking for cheap flights...

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby Lwoods » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:14 pm

A new Entrepreneurial Business Law Clinic! Love.

http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/news/newsrel.php?ID=597

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby dans1006 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:32 pm

Rivers711 wrote:In! Applied 2/1. 162 3.3 URM from Miami, FL. Anyone know how long it takes to recieve scholarship/grant info?


Wow. That's a crazy fast turn around time!

clearfire
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby clearfire » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:33 pm

does anyone know when the need based grant information comes out?

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby dans1006 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:47 pm

So I received a scholarship + stipend offer from the University of Akron today that, combined with the remainder of my GI Bill $, means I could get my JD and MBA for free. I'd actually make a little money to live on. Is Akron such a bad school that I should still hold out for OSU, or might it be time to withdraw and pull the trigger somewhere else...? Obviously my heart is in Columbus. Its a better school, better city, better reputation, better forum participants :) , better everything. But even IF I get into OSU, I won't get any $$$ so I will end up taking on some debt just to get out of law school. IF I get in to the JD/MBA program at OSU, I will take on pretty significant debt to fund the last two years of that 4 year track. Plus there is a good enough chance that I won't get into the joint program that I would probably have to go into OSU under the assumption that I will just be getting my JD. So I guess what I'm asking is how do you all see this situation? Is an OSU JD w/ debt a better option than an Akron JD/MBA fo' free? I welcome all your various points of view....

RTS83
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:23 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby RTS83 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:32 pm

Dans your numbers are great, why are you so sure you won't get in to OSU with money? I got in to OSU with a GPA far worse than yours and an only slightly higher LSAT and got a hefty scholarship.

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby dans1006 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:04 am

RTS83 wrote:Dans your numbers are great, why are you so sure you won't get in to OSU with money? I got in to OSU with a GPA far worse than yours and an only slightly higher LSAT and got a hefty scholarship.


I did the majority of my undergrad online while deployed overseas to Iraq so my GPA will probably be considered inflated and I would be hard pressed to disagree. I would counter argue that I'm probably the only applicant that has ever had an Econ exam interupted by a mortar attack but that is more anecdotal than persuasive. Still my LSAT is average for OSU at best. I'm not a URM of any sort and I'm also sort of applying late in the cycle. The best I could hope for would be a leadership scholarship based on my military experience...

So overall, I'm not even sure that I'm going to make the OSU cut. If I do, I'll be absolutely amazed by any scholarship offer. That, and the possibility of picking up the MBA with the JD, is why I'm considering the Akron deal.

User avatar
charcop
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby charcop » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:33 am

dans1006 wrote:
RTS83 wrote:Dans your numbers are great, why are you so sure you won't get in to OSU with money? I got in to OSU with a GPA far worse than yours and an only slightly higher LSAT and got a hefty scholarship.


I did the majority of my undergrad online while deployed overseas to Iraq so my GPA will probably be considered inflated and I would be hard pressed to disagree. I would counter argue that I'm probably the only applicant that has ever had an Econ exam interupted by a mortar attack but that is more anecdotal than persuasive. Still my LSAT is average for OSU at best. I'm not a URM of any sort and I'm also sort of applying late in the cycle. The best I could hope for would be a leadership scholarship based on my military experience...

So overall, I'm not even sure that I'm going to make the OSU cut. If I do, I'll be absolutely amazed by any scholarship offer. That, and the possibility of picking up the MBA with the JD, is why I'm considering the Akron deal.


My gpa was lower than the 25th percentile, my lsat is only 1 point above yours, i'm not an URM and had no ties to Ohio, and I still got a 10k scholly. I say you hold out for OSU...

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby dans1006 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:19 am

charcop wrote:
dans1006 wrote:
RTS83 wrote:Dans your numbers are great, why are you so sure you won't get in to OSU with money? I got in to OSU with a GPA far worse than yours and an only slightly higher LSAT and got a hefty scholarship.


I did the majority of my undergrad online while deployed overseas to Iraq so my GPA will probably be considered inflated and I would be hard pressed to disagree. I would counter argue that I'm probably the only applicant that has ever had an Econ exam interupted by a mortar attack but that is more anecdotal than persuasive. Still my LSAT is average for OSU at best. I'm not a URM of any sort and I'm also sort of applying late in the cycle. The best I could hope for would be a leadership scholarship based on my military experience...

So overall, I'm not even sure that I'm going to make the OSU cut. If I do, I'll be absolutely amazed by any scholarship offer. That, and the possibility of picking up the MBA with the JD, is why I'm considering the Akron deal.


My gpa was lower than the 25th percentile, my lsat is only 1 point above yours, i'm not an URM and had no ties to Ohio, and I still got a 10k scholly. I say you hold out for OSU...


Thanks guys.

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:53 am

I would definitely hold out for OSU if I were you.

Would Akron be a place you'd want to live?? A JD from Akron is going to be significantly less mobile than a JD from OSU. And, as someone who spends a lot of time in Akron (my husband's family all lives there)...let me say that you should really think about if it's somewhere you'd want to stay, lol ;)

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby Lwoods » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:58 am

lifestooquick wrote:I would definitely hold out for OSU if I were you.

Would Akron be a place you'd want to live?? A JD from Akron is going to be significantly less mobile than a JD from OSU. And, as someone who spends a lot of time in Akron (my husband's family all lives there)...let me say that you should really think about if it's somewhere you'd want to stay, lol ;)


Definitely wait it out. Don't turn down Akron until you know, but I definitely think you have a good shot at OSU.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:44 am

Also, I believe most scholarships at Akron require you to be at around a 3.1 IIRC. Regardless, whatever the requirement is, the curve is so harsh that it means you have to be around top 15% of your class to maintain your scholarships. It is one of the most predatory scholarships I've ever heard of.

Akron just sent out their employment stats for the class of 2009 (and I know everybody's stats were ugly) but these were UGLY. I'm pretty debt-averse, and going to law school for free is grand, but the difference for OSU at sticker and Akron for free (which, let's be honest - only one year will probably be free) is worth going to OSU.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

P.S. I don't think schools are going to care that you did your classes online and from your perception are more inflated. And FWIW... I believe taking classes online and performing well, while deployed in a hostile environment > taking a course and walking from your dorm to your brick & mortar class in your pajamas and slippers.

User avatar
Punisha20
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:56 am

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby Punisha20 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:15 pm

TommyK wrote:Also, I believe most scholarships at Akron require you to be at around a 3.1 IIRC. Regardless, whatever the requirement is, the curve is so harsh that it means you have to be around top 15% of your class to maintain your scholarships. It is one of the most predatory scholarships I've ever heard of.

Akron just sent out their employment stats for the class of 2009 (and I know everybody's stats were ugly) but these were UGLY. I'm pretty debt-averse, and going to law school for free is grand, but the difference for OSU at sticker and Akron for free (which, let's be honest - only one year will probably be free) is worth going to OSU.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

P.S. I don't think schools are going to care that you did your classes online and from your perception are more inflated. And FWIW... I believe taking classes online and performing well, while deployed in a hostile environment > taking a course and walking from your dorm to your brick & mortar class in your pajamas and slippers.



+1

The requirement is a 3.3, which is as you pointed out the top 15%. The class curve is around a 2.7 or something of that nature. I think Dan should hold out for OSU, which I'm sure they will admit him and give him some sort of money.

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby dans1006 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:47 pm

Thanks for the input and encouragement everyone. I have UC to consider too. I just got some mail from them.

We'll see how the chips fall. OSU is where I want to be, I think. But perhaps that is just because that is the only school I went to visit so far. Maybe a trip to UC for an ASW would do me some good since I'm already accepted there. I hit 6 weeks under review at OSU today. I'm in the zone to hear something over the next two weeks.

Akron is not somewhere I could see myself staying but I could live anywhere for a few years if it makes sense to do so.

As for the scholarship requirements, yeah, they're pretty brutal but I like a challenge. :/

We'll see how it goes... :)

RTS83
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:23 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby RTS83 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:11 pm

We are all certainly pulling for you! Our study group hinges on your acceptance ;) never hurts to have a 4.0 to bounce ideas off of.

313D313
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby 313D313 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:46 pm

For the ASW on March 4-5, does anyone know if we have to attend on Friday? I am thinking about coming only on Saturday so i do not take off work on Friday.

User avatar
dhatfie1
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby dhatfie1 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:55 pm

Hey everybody, I'm currently a 1L at Moritz. For anyone who knows they are attending OSU for law in the fall and is currently looking for an apt. around campus (now is definitely a good time to start), I have a REALLY nice apartment that I'm willing to give up the lease to because I am taking a leave of absence for a year at the end of this semester. The apartment is on 12th and high, literally right across from the law school. For anyone looking into the gateway apartments, this apartment is $250 cheaper than a 1 BR there and just as big and nice for that matter. The lease is through Buckeye Real estate. If you are interested at all PM me and I can give you further details. Thanks!

Jeffro
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby Jeffro » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:41 pm

dans1006 wrote:So I received a scholarship + stipend offer from the University of Akron today that, combined with the remainder of my GI Bill $, means I could get my JD and MBA for free. I'd actually make a little money to live on. Is Akron such a bad school that I should still hold out for OSU, or might it be time to withdraw and pull the trigger somewhere else...? Obviously my heart is in Columbus. Its a better school, better city, better reputation, better forum participants :) , better everything. But even IF I get into OSU, I won't get any $$$ so I will end up taking on some debt just to get out of law school. IF I get in to the JD/MBA program at OSU, I will take on pretty significant debt to fund the last two years of that 4 year track. Plus there is a good enough chance that I won't get into the joint program that I would probably have to go into OSU under the assumption that I will just be getting my JD. So I guess what I'm asking is how do you all see this situation? Is an OSU JD w/ debt a better option than an Akron JD/MBA fo' free? I welcome all your various points of view....
Dans, don't know if you know about this yet or if it will help you make up your mind, but the Post 9/11 GI Bill is going to pay full in-state tuition/fees beginning August 1, 2011. This is a change from the current system of paying different rates based upon which state you are in. It has really helped me in deciding where to go myself. If I'm understanding everything correctly, all of your tuition and fees would be covered at OSU for the duration of your benefits (although I'm pretty sure you're a resident already, Ohio grants in-state residency to all veterans btw). It also is changing how it pays private schools.

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby dans1006 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:19 am

Jeffro wrote:Dans, don't know if you know about this yet or if it will help you make up your mind, but the Post 9/11 GI Bill is going to pay full in-state tuition/fees beginning August 1, 2011. This is a change from the current system of paying different rates based upon which state you are in. It has really helped me in deciding where to go myself. If I'm understanding everything correctly, all of your tuition and fees would be covered at OSU for the duration of your benefits (although I'm pretty sure you're a resident already, Ohio grants in-state residency to all veterans btw). It also is changing how it pays private schools.

--LinkRemoved--


I actually hadn't heard about that. I'm going to talk with UC about that tomorrow since i'm already admitted there and see if they have a better understanding of what that will mean for post graduate education. I will also call the GI Bill hotline and see if they can give me any info. I hope you're right though. I only have 2 years of GI Bill left going into law school so I'll have to figure something out for that last year but that's fine. Are you committed to OSU and I'm assuming you're prior service?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], harmcharm, hweigel, Snowjon and 20 guests