Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NCtoDC

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby NCtoDC » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:34 am

I love him! Ok, since everyone is posting pics of their fuzzy babies, I'll follow suit (although she is in my avatar).

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

She is a Jack Russel mix.

Adopt a shelter pet!

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:45 am

Love all the puppies!!! <3 They made me smile this morning.

Queenlizzie - so sorry about your sheltie :( it's so hard to lose a pet, they're part of your family. HUGS!

RTS83

Postby RTS83 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:26 am

I like the bonding going on :P

Well, if we don't end up coming up with a plan for meeting up...I'm sure you guys won't be able to miss me. I am monstrously tall at 6'7" and wear black glasses.

Wait, that might be our plan....I'll serve as the poster/beacon/meeting pole or what have you.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:15 am

RTS83 wrote:I like the bonding going on :P

Well, if we don't end up coming up with a plan for meeting up...I'm sure you guys won't be able to miss me. I am monstrously tall at 6'7" and wear black glasses.

Wait, that might be our plan....I'll serve as the poster/beacon/meeting pole or what have you.

That could work.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Haha, I imagine you'll stand out! We could probably coordinate something behind the scenes, though, too.

As for the pet discussion, I have a couple funny looking pooches. ;)
--ImageRemoved--

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:39 pm

Aww, they are cute! What interesting markings on the one on the right!

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:42 am

NCtoDC wrote:Aww, they are cute! What interesting markings on the one on the right!

Thanks! Yeah, I love his random spots. They probably won't make it to the dog park, but I love hosting if you guys wanna come over!

ukgrad

Postby ukgrad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Hey guys- has anyone been successful negotiating scholarships with OSU? I have other offers from higher ranked schools that make them a better deal than OSU but I am still interested because it is so close to home. I have gotten a Moritz award and an in-state tuition grant thing but I was really hoping for a LOT more. Any ideas?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:19 pm

ukgrad wrote:Hey guys- has anyone been successful negotiating scholarships with OSU? I have other offers from higher ranked schools that make them a better deal than OSU but I am still interested because it is so close to home. I have gotten a Moritz award and an in-state tuition grant thing but I was really hoping for a LOT more. Any ideas?

Just sent off an e-mail; I guess we'll see. I'm under the impression, though, that they don't really give additional aid.

I've also applied for the Moritz (which is full in-state tuition and isn't awarded until late March / early April so I'm guessing you either got the Academic Merit or Moritz Leadership Scholarship), but it's a bit of a long-shot for me from a numbers perspective.

charcop

Postby charcop » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:34 pm

All those in favor of having RTS83 wear a "TLS 2011" shirt with a silk screen of everyones dogs (and cats) during the first week of class say aye!

ioftendreamoftrains

Postby ioftendreamoftrains » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:54 pm

ukgrad wrote:Hey guys- has anyone been successful negotiating scholarships with OSU? I have other offers from higher ranked schools that make them a better deal than OSU but I am still interested because it is so close to home. I have gotten a Moritz award and an in-state tuition grant thing but I was really hoping for a LOT more. Any ideas?

I was told that they do not negotiate. My LSAT score is above 75th, so I was a bit surprised by the meager merit award and by the fact that I wasn't offered the in-state tuition grant that others have reported. Actually, "very irritated" would be a better way to put it than "surprised."

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:57 pm

ioftendreamoftrains wrote:

I was told that they do not negotiate. My LSAT score is above 75th, so I was a bit surprised by the meager merit award and by the fact that I wasn't offered the in-state tuition grant that others have reported. Actually, "very irritated" would be a better way to put it than "surprised."

I've heard that as well. I know a guy who was around 3.9/167 or so. Got full ride from WUSTL, got into berkeley, and some other top notch schools and got offered half-ride from OSU. Hope that's atypical, but I don't think they don't budge a bunch on the merit aid.

nicole88

Postby nicole88 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:14 pm

Hey everyone, I'm sure this has been answered a million times, but can someone tell me if the scholarships are offered at the time of the acceptance letter in the mail? Or is it afterwards?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:21 pm

My LSAT is also about 75th and my GPA above median. The website says "full or partial" leadership scholarships... is that a clever use of "or" to make us think there are full leadership scholarships but they're really all partial? On LSN, the only awards more than $15k/year seem to be the Moritz Merit Scholars.

I'm a little bummed about not getting money, but at least I have something, and I wouldn't be doing this if I wasn't prepared to take out some student loans.
But, this does make me concerned as a potential future alumna. How does OSU expect to climb in the rankings if it's not willing to *show the money* to debt averse top candidates? Columbus has more opportunities than Bloomington, Urbana, South Bend, Madison and Iowa City, but if it doesn't start offering scholarships that compete with the other Midwest T1s, the only people who will go there are those with specific ties to the area and those who can't get into IUB, UIUC, ND, etc.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:23 pm

nicole88 wrote:Hey everyone, I'm sure this has been answered a million times, but can someone tell me if the scholarships are offered at the time of the acceptance letter in the mail? Or is it afterwards?

After via email so far, but I'm not sure if they'll come at the same time later in the cycle.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Lwoods wrote:I'm a little bummed about not getting money, but at least I have something, and I wouldn't be doing this if I wasn't prepared to take out some student loans.
But, this does make me concerned as a potential future alumna. How does OSU expect to climb in the rankings if it's not willing to *show the money* to debt averse top candidates? Columbus has more opportunities than Bloomington, Urbana, South Bend, Madison and Iowa City, but if it doesn't start offering scholarships that compete with the other Midwest T1s, the only people who will go there are those with specific ties to the area and those who can't get into IUB, UIUC, ND, etc.

I'm not sure they need or especially want to climb the rankings. They just need to stay roughly where they are. From their perspective jockeying up a place or two isn't going to make a huge difference and if you're gonna' be a regional school, they only need to be the best show in town and beat out schools like Cincy, and Case, which they will continue to do handily.

Sure they could throw out a ton of money to attract candidates, but would spending a million dollars a year worth the extra four or five spots? I would say probably not.

mcubberly

Postby mcubberly » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Lwoods wrote:

My LSAT is also about 75th and my GPA above median. The website says "full or partial" leadership scholarships... is that a clever use of "or" to make us think there are full leadership scholarships but they're really all partial? On LSN, the only awards more than $15k/year seem to be the Moritz Merit Scholars.

I'm a little bummed about not getting money, but at least I have something, and I wouldn't be doing this if I wasn't prepared to take out some student loans.

It is frustrating! I think the city atmosphere could take a lot of people away from other schools, and if they tried to attract better candidates it could boost their out-of-state reputation. I want to go to OSU, but it's hard to justify when higher ranked schools with more (not extensive, but more) national reach give me more money. I feel like a lot of other people are in this situation as well.

ukgrad

Postby ukgrad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:56 pm

Yeah my numbers are pretty high for OSU and they haven't nearly matched what W&M offered. 12K a year and 4K, 2K, 2K... A lame package really. Oh well.

RTS83

Postby RTS83 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 am

Where IUB puts their endowment money into scholarships, I think OSU has used it for the library/building. As a current OSU student I've been in Moritz quite a few times and was amazed at how modern it was compared to the rest of campus. Combine that with what I hear is one of the largest libraries in the nation and I think its easy to see where the money is going.

True, scholarships do = rise in ranking (IUB being a prime example, what were they in 2007...38th?) but hopefully the professors/library/facilities are as valuable for us as cheaper tuition.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:46 am

RTS83 wrote:Where IUB puts their endowment money into scholarships, I think OSU has used it for the library/building. As a current OSU student I've been in Moritz quite a few times and was amazed at how modern it was compared to the rest of campus. Combine that with what I hear is one of the largest libraries in the nation and I think its easy to see where the money is going.

True, scholarships do = rise in ranking (IUB being a prime example, what were they in 2007...38th?) but hopefully the professors/library/facilities are as valuable for us as cheaper tuition.

I don't know...I've toured Moritz, Maurer (IUB), Notre Dame, NYU and Fordham, and the only one that stood out as having amazing facilities was Notre Dame. Granted, ND has a new building, too, but that just goes to show how quickly new facilities can become dated.

As the daughter of a librarian, I do love libraries, but how valuable is an extensive library when we'll have access to LexisNexis and other online resources? My last role at the law firm was in a research-heavy role. In my two years in that role, the only item requested that required a book was an extensive resource on GAAP for an Accounting for Lawyers CLE course. Everything else was on LexisNexis, Westlaw / Westlaw Business, LivEdgar, Capital IQ, etc. as well as public websites.
I agree with the former dean of Northwestern Law, David Van Zandt, about the importance of rankings... and also his criticism of the use of library volumes in the rankings:
Dean Van Zandt wrote:...Certainly, the U.S. News measures could be improved. Take, for example, U.S. News’ measuring of the number of volumes in a school’s law library, which is especially irrelevant in today’s digital age. ...
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/rankings-are-valuable-and-here-to-stay-so-let%E2%80%99s-focus-on-making-them-better/

You definitely have a solid point wrt the professors, though. I was impressed by the class I sat in on... not as much as I was at NYU (I love any professor who quotes Gershwin and Cole Porter in a 2 hour class), but still very impressed. I've also heard very good things about the faculty overall. I'm not sure how incrementally better the faculty are, though, at OSU vs. IUB.

Sorry for being a downer... Moritz students have the cutest pets? :D

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:47 am

Okay, I feel bad for being critical. Flash mob, anyone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNOB6TnHSI

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:07 am

Lwoods wrote:Okay, I feel bad for being critical. Flash mob, anyone?

hahaha that was great. :-)

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:13 am

Lwoods wrote:Okay, I feel bad for being critical. Flash mob, anyone?

God I want to be part of a flash mob haha.

2014jd

Postby 2014jd » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:29 am

TommyK wrote:
Lwoods wrote:I'm a little bummed about not getting money, but at least I have something, and I wouldn't be doing this if I wasn't prepared to take out some student loans.

I'm not sure they need or especially want to climb the rankings. They just need to stay roughly where they are. From their perspective jockeying up a place or two isn't going to make a huge difference and if you're gonna' be a regional school, they only need to be the best show in town and beat out schools like Cincy, and Case, which they will continue to do handily.

I have to agree with TommyK here. As a potential future alumnus, I would love to see OSU climb the rankings but I'm not sure they need to. I think Ohio State banks on being the best law school in the state of Ohio. If you want to have the freedom to practice anywhere in Ohio, you go to OSU, and their admissions and scholarship committees know this.

I also think it could be an issue of appropriating money from a very large budget system. I would imagine that if the law school wants to increase their scholarship pool they must request funds be appropriated from the university's budget at least a year in advance. And that would probably involve a campaign to convince university officials that the extra money is necessary. This is purely speculation, but thought I might contribute my $.02

2014jd

Postby 2014jd » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:53 am

Also, as a helpful reminder, the Moritz need-based grant application is due today. --LinkRemoved--

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”