Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lwoods

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby Lwoods » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:03 pm

mcubberly wrote:Yeah...I guess I wasn't expecting more, but I hoped there would be a chance for more...it doesn't compare to IU-B and U of I. Crap. Also, if you get an Academic Merit, apparently you can't get a leadership or diversity enrichment :(.

Since you qualify for in-state at UIUC and that's the most prestigious of the 3, that seems like it'd be your best bet. Or do you think you'll hold out for the Moritz?

akili

Postby akili » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:05 pm

12k per year for me. Probably withdrawing. Hope someone waiting gets my acceptance + $

Kmoney22

Postby Kmoney22 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:05 pm

:( 14k/ year... doesn't compare to my other offers... I will always be a buckeye fan though.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:06 pm

I got a leadership scholly! :) $8500/yr I'm happy with it...I was worried that I would get nothing with my GPA!

mcubberly

Postby mcubberly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:08 pm

Lwoods wrote:
mcubberly wrote:Yeah...I guess I wasn't expecting more, but I hoped there would be a chance for more...it doesn't compare to IU-B and U of I. Crap. Also, if you get an Academic Merit, apparently you can't get a leadership or diversity enrichment :(.

Since you qualify for in-state at UIUC and that's the most prestigious of the 3, that seems like it'd be your best bet. Or do you think you'll hold out for the Moritz?

I'm gonna try to negotiate with them, but we'll see. It sucks, OSU's been my top choice. U of I would be cool, but central IL...
I don't think I'd have any chance of getting the Moritz, so if I can't negotiate, I guess it's off the table. If I could even get like 5k more, I'd probably do it. I know UIUC is a better school, but I was really feeling Moritz.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:23 pm

lifestooquick wrote:I got a leadership scholly! :) $8500/yr I'm happy with it...I was worried that I would get nothing with my GPA!

Nice. Glad to hear it

rli66

Postby rli66 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Merit Scholarship for 12k/year.... meh

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Diversity Enrichment Scholarship 11k a year. It's nice, but it would really help if I could get a bit more, hopefully the Moritz scholarship or maybe some other merit based/need based scholarship could come through for me.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:52 pm

mcubberly wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I'm gonna try to negotiate with them, but we'll see. It sucks, OSU's been my top choice. U of I would be cool, but central IL...
I don't think I'd have any chance of getting the Moritz, so if I can't negotiate, I guess it's off the table. If I could even get like 5k more, I'd probably do it. I know UIUC is a better school, but I was really feeling Moritz.

Maybe it's just because I worked at a firm with a strong Chicago presence, but UIUC is definitely more prestigious even out to the East coast.
Of course, OSU's big advantage over IUB and UIUC is that it's in a city with all kinds of good legal jobs. It's the capital city, so everything at the state level is here, but it's also a legit city in terms of the companies that are located here as well. Plus, as noted above, there are a couple BigLaw firms with offices here (and a lot of "regional BigLaw" firms too).

lifestooquick wrote:I got a leadership scholly! :) $8500/yr I'm happy with it...I was worried that I would get nothing with my GPA!

Congrats!! Guess our super-long essays didn't preclude us from receiving leadership scholarships. ;)

RTS83

Postby RTS83 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:59 pm

You can pretty much calculate your money based off of LSAT if LSN is to be believed.
Last edited by RTS83 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcubberly

Postby mcubberly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Lwoods wrote:
mcubberly wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Maybe it's just because I worked at a firm with a strong Chicago presence, but UIUC is definitely more prestigious even out to the East coast.
Of course, OSU's big advantage over IUB and UIUC is that it's in a city with all kinds of good legal jobs. It's the capital city, so everything at the state level is here, but it's also a legit city in terms of the companies that are located here as well. Plus, as noted above, there are a couple BigLaw firms with offices here (and a lot of "regional BigLaw" firms too).

Congrats!! Guess our super-long essays didn't preclude us from receiving leadership scholarships. ;)

Congrats to both of you guys! That's awesome!!

Yeah, UIUC would be cool, especially because I like Chicago. I've just been to central IL a lot, and eh. OSU, in addition to being in a city I like, has my family there. It'd be nice to go visit my sister at college and see my brother in high school too. I called Jimmi and asked for some advice... She told me to email Dean Solomon in a situation like this, so we'll see.

I feel weird about wanting OSU over more prestigious schools like UIUC, but it'd just be nice to be back, and I really liked it when I visited.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:27 pm

mcubberly wrote:Congrats to both of you guys! That's awesome!!

Yeah, UIUC would be cool, especially because I like Chicago. I've just been to central IL a lot, and eh. OSU, in addition to being in a city I like, has my family there. It'd be nice to go visit my sister at college and see my brother in high school too. I called Jimmi and asked for some advice... She told me to email Dean Solomon in a situation like this, so we'll see.

I feel weird about wanting OSU over more prestigious schools like UIUC, but it'd just be nice to be back, and I really liked it when I visited.

LWoods is right on. I think there are completely rational reasons to choose OSU over Illinois for pretty much exactly the reasons she mentioned. I've heard the Chicago market has taken a huge hit (and hasn't quite recovered to the same extent). UIUC, while a strong school, will likely be competing with Chicago, NU and the couple other Chicago law schools. OSU has to compete with Capital and while Chicago > Columbus in pretty much every measurable way, I'd rather go to a school that is the big dog in an area.

SortOfObsessed

Postby SortOfObsessed » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:16 pm

12k a year academic merit for me as well.

Even with in state tuition this is not worth IU's 120k. :/

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:20 pm

12k per year for me too. Here's hoping for the big boy Moritz!

ZRay1229

Postby ZRay1229 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:22 pm

Awww no scholarship info for me :( Does anyone know if they offer them on a rolling basis?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:25 pm

ZRay1229 wrote:Awww no scholarship info for me :( Does anyone know if they offer them on a rolling basis?

Did you get the email about scholarships a couple weeks ago? I wonder if it's because you're ED (you were ED, right?). :(

amers73

Postby amers73 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:27 pm

11k per yr. Pleasantly surprised :) wasn't actually expecting to get a scholarship.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:31 pm

ZRay1229 wrote:Awww no scholarship info for me :( Does anyone know if they offer them on a rolling basis?

Yes, they offer them on a rolling basis. I remember it said that they would be offered on a rolling basis based on when you received your decision.

ZRay1229

Postby ZRay1229 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:33 pm

Lwoods wrote:

Did you get the email about scholarships a couple weeks ago? I wonder if it's because you're ED (you were ED, right?). :(

Yeah I got the email about the Moritz scholarship and it said that more scholarship info would be out in 1-2 weeks. I was ED. I figured that might have something to do with it, but some other ED-ers have recieved aid (according to LSN). Maybe it's because my numbers were low (161, 3.95)

ukgrad

Postby ukgrad » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:17 pm

12K Moritz Award- gonna withdrawl because that doesn't compare with other offers. Still love my Buckeyes :)

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:25 pm

ukgrad wrote:12K Moritz Award- gonna withdrawl because that doesn't compare with other offers. Still love my Buckeyes :)

Congrats and good luck!
However, OSU is a little confusing with their scholarship names... there's the Academic Merit Scholarship, the Moritz Leadership Scholarship and the Moritz Merit Scholarship (among others). The Moritz Merit Scholarship (often referred to ITT as simply "the Moritz") isn't awarded until later in the spring and is full in-state tuition + stipend. I'm guessing you got the leadership scholarship. Kudos regardless. :)

ajw431

Postby ajw431 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 pm

Yeah I got the email about the Moritz scholarship and it said that more scholarship info would be out in 1-2 weeks. I was ED. I figured that might have something to do with it, but some other ED-ers have recieved aid (according to LSN). Maybe it's because my numbers were low (161, 3.95)

Hey ZRay, I'm in the same boat, although I didn't apply ED. With those numbers I think you'll definitely be getting a scholarship! Here's to hoping we hear Monday!

saito816

Postby saito816 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:28 pm

18k/yr well looks like I'll be making a difficult decision :? although I'm still hoping for the Moritz, the scholarship offer says I need to accept it by april 1, I thought that the admit date was April 15th though, does that mean I need to make a decision sooner than I thought?

ZRay1229

Postby ZRay1229 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:06 am

ajw431 wrote:

Hey ZRay, I'm in the same boat, although I didn't apply ED. With those numbers I think you'll definitely be getting a scholarship! Here's to hoping we hear Monday!

Thanks ajw! I really hope you're right! Good luck to you as well :)

RTS83

Postby RTS83 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:32 am

I'm still hoping for an acceptance lol, let's hope a withdrawal or two finds its way to me ;)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”