Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TommyK

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby TommyK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:54 am

lifestooquick wrote:Telling my boss about law school today! Eek, I'm nervous. But also excited.

Oh, I need to do that too. I'm struggling between telling her now so she has ample time and waiting until July-ish just in case something comes up that would prevent me from attending. Let us know how the convo goes and his/her response.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:57 am

TommyK wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:Telling my boss about law school today! Eek, I'm nervous. But also excited.

Oh, I need to do that too. I'm struggling between telling her now so she has ample time and waiting until July-ish just in case something comes up that would prevent me from attending. Let us know how the convo goes and his/her response.

Yeah I'm telling them now so we can work together on a transition (and also my employer's hiring process takes FOREVER). And I've basically been lying by omission and it's making me uncomfortable! I need to be able to be honest! LOL

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:22 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Yeah I'm telling them now so we can work together on a transition (and also my employer's hiring process takes FOREVER). And I've basically been lying by omission and it's making me uncomfortable! I need to be able to be honest! LOL

omg, what a coincidence; I'm telling one of my bosses today, too!

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:24 pm

Lwoods wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:
TommyK wrote:

haha, that's awesome. GOOD LUCK! :)

RTS83

Postby RTS83 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:46 pm

Blah, went complete on the 29th and still nothing. I know its way early for me (I'm comfortable but not an auto-admit) but I can still be impatient as OSU is my number 1. OSU was great for undergrad...hoping it will be better for law school!

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:38 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Yeah, I have to fill out a self-evaluation and one of the questions is : "Where do you see yourself in two years within <ORGANIZATION>?" I think this might prompt the revelation.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:19 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:

haha, that's awesome. GOOD LUCK! :)

Thanks! Good luck to you as well. :)

I just spoke to my boss, and it went well. He's happy I'm giving them plenty of notice because now I can train my replacement for an extended period of time. Hope your boss takes/took it well!

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:39 pm

TommyK wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Yeah, I have to fill out a self-evaluation and one of the questions is : "Where do you see yourself in two years within <ORGANIZATION>?" I think this might prompt the revelation.

I had to do a similar thing, lol. I just kinda fudged it and then talked to her about it during the actual review.

It went well. She's obviously bummed...we work really well together and I know she had struggled to find someone who "gets" her crazy, lol. But she's excited for me and happy that I'm giving plenty of notice so that we can work together to train someone and finish up plans, etc.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:21 am

Just registered for the March 4-5 ASW! If my husband's not working the 4th, I'll bring him to that reception, but I don't think there's anything on the 5th that would interest him.

Can't wait to meet potential future classmates. :)

ZRay1229

Postby ZRay1229 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:21 am

Lwoods wrote:Just registered for the March 4-5 ASW! If my husband's not working the 4th, I'll bring him to that reception, but I don't think there's anything on the 5th that would interest him.

Me too... see everyone there!

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:51 pm

ZRay1229 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:Just registered for the March 4-5 ASW! If my husband's not working the 4th, I'll bring him to that reception, but I don't think there's anything on the 5th that would interest him.

Me too... see everyone there!

I just officially registered as well! See you guys there :)

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:44 am

Current 1L here (non-resident), if you have any questions about anything regarding the school and/or residency let me know! I know I sure did this time last year. :)

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:56 am

dhatfie1 wrote:Current 1L here (non-resident), if you have any questions about anything regarding the school and/or residency let me know! I know I sure did this time last year. :)

Can you do the DC summer program the summer after 1L or is it for older students? Do you know anything about the program beyond what's on the website and would you consider it worth the time?

Any insight on which professors are the best for 1L classes? Not that we have a say in which ones we get, but I'm just curious :)

How have career services been so far for you? Do you have an idea overall about how the 1L class is faring with summer plans?

Thank you for offering to answer questions!!! :)

bomberle

Postby bomberle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:49 am

just admitted via email! been waiting since November!

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:50 am

bomberle wrote:just admitted via email! been waiting since November!

Congrats!

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:27 pm

Got in today via email. Was kind of shocked as a I literally applied the week before last.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:31 pm

Congrats to those accepted today!

lamentable

Postby lamentable » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:49 pm

Throwing my hat in here. Got accepted via email! I was a bit worried at first, as OSU was the first app I sent out...

Excited to get accepted! Any idea of the legal market there? The DC externship does look attractive...

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:51 pm

lamentable wrote:Throwing my hat in here. Got accepted via email! I was a bit worried at first, as OSU was the first app I sent out...

Excited to get accepted! Any idea of the legal market there? The DC externship does look attractive...

Congrats! When did you go under review?

brokenwindows

Postby brokenwindows » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:53 pm

bomberle wrote:just admitted via email! been waiting since November!

Hoping to hear something soon then. Went under review again on 1/13.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:53 pm

Congrats to everyone who got in today!! I'm one of those that already lives in Columbus and am happy to answer any questions about the city that I can :)

Look forward to perhaps being classmates with some of you in the fall!

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:01 pm

lamentable wrote:Throwing my hat in here. Got accepted via email! I was a bit worried at first, as OSU was the first app I sent out...

It's the best law school in the state in the city with the best jobs in the state (imo). It seems pretty regional, but at least Columbus has Jones Day and Baker & Hostetler as well as a number of Ohio midlaw firms that are outside counsel to some of the major companies here. I'm not sure how easy it is to leave Ohio with an OSU degree, but you'll likely have a good shot at the best legal jobs within the state.
Last edited by Lwoods on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lamentable

Postby lamentable » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:05 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:

Congrats! When did you go under review?

I have had some problems with receiving emails from law schools, so I don't know when they put my file under review. Never got a status checker from them. I submitted 11/23, I believe. Hope that helps!

Thanks for your reply, Lwoods. Just seeing all of the law schools in Ohio made me a bit uneasy. Ohio has several mid-large cities, which is notable, but even still there are a limited number of jobs with a bunch of law school grads vying for them.

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:18 am

lifestooquick wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:Current 1L here (non-resident), if you have any questions about anything regarding the school and/or residency let me know! I know I sure did this time last year. :)

Can you do the DC summer program the summer after 1L or is it for older students? Do you know anything about the program beyond what's on the website and would you consider it worth the time?

Any insight on which professors are the best for 1L classes? Not that we have a say in which ones we get, but I'm just curious :)

How have career services been so far for you? Do you have an idea overall about how the 1L class is faring with summer plans?

Thank you for offering to answer questions!!! :)

Hi, no problem!

1.) Yes, you can do the DC program after your first year and 1Ls definitely dominate the makeup of the program. Getting into it is the real challenge considering it is a very competitive program as you can imagine. People literally line up early in the morning to try and get a spot! I do know that whatever job you choose to do while you're in DC for the duration of the program is up to you to secure. As far as whether it's worth your time, I would say most definitely. Legal experience from DC is relatively unmatched, plus it helps if you plan on working on Capitol Hill someday. :)

2.) Well, I can only speak to the professors I've had so far and the breakdown is as follows: Dressler (Crim Law)-Truly a gem of a professor, knows his stuff and despite his brilliance, makes time for students. Also, EXTREMELY organized. Caust-Ellenbogen (Civ Pro)-Not the best teacher in the world because he is unorganized and it's hard to take notes in that class. Outside of class he's kind of awkward but a really nice guy if you take the time to get to know him. He rarely makes eye contact when you talk to him in person haha. Ironically, this class was my best grade, but that's because I got a Civil Procedure E&E and studied it religiously, which I suggest you do if you have C-E. Dean Northern (Torts)- Extremely nice lady as I'm sure you've gathered if you've visited OSU and met her. Braunstein (Property)-This man is a comic genius, I just love going to class because he makes the room so carefree, and he makes property fun. Colker (Con Law)-This lady is kind of intimidating, I feel like she could be lead counsel for the ACLU. Brudney (Legislation)- This man is ridiculously smart and he has a very dry sense of humor, you can definitely tell he worked on the Senate floor for 6 years. I'm warming up to his class though, he's a really nice professor, doesn't call you out for saying "I don't know." My Contracts teacher is on loan from UC-Hastings and she's great but I doubt you'll have her, so that's that, let me know if you have any more specific questions.

3.) Career services is very helpful, especially if you help them with some of the leg work. They won't do it for you, but they do present you with plenty of opportunities to take advantage of all they have to offer. Many of them are former attorneys who have been through the game and the hiring process so they know what it takes.

As far as 1L plans, most people are either researching for a professor, interning, studying abroad, or a combination of the three. A lot of 1Ls do the summer study abroad program at Oxford, which is always a good talking point for employers who are there to interview you. As for me, I'm actually studying abroad in Madrid, Spain in a program done through William & Mary because the classes suit me better and it gives me an opportunity to work on my Spanish! Let me know if you have any other questions!

:)
Last edited by dhatfie1 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:37 am

Thanks so much - that's helpful :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”