Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lwoods

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby Lwoods » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:18 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:I'm sure it's already been asked elsewhere, but does anyone know how hard it is to establish residency?

ChinaMex wrote:
brose wrote:
vegenator wrote:
brose wrote:I've read that it's easy to gain residency and hard to gain residency. I would totally go if I could get in state tuition for years 2-3. Anyone have any stories of people gaining residency?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-scho ... dency.html

This says it's hard and then someone else says it's easy... ugh this isn't helping! lol :?

Hey I'm currently a 1L from California and I personally think the residency requirements are ridiculous and quite difficult. Basically they want to make sure of three things: that you live here, that you intend to stay, and you're an independent. This means no gifts. They are serious about this. If you get a $50 check from your grandma for your birthday you cannot use it during your evaluation period (Sept 1st, 2011- Sep 1st, 2012 ((doesn't matter if you lived there earlier))). You cannot receive any out of state funds during this period. They have access to your bank records for up to 5 years so they'll figure it out haha.

Additionally they "prove" intent to stay in a number of different ways. The easy ones are voter registration, car registration, driver's license, etc. (you can do this whenever throughout the year). The most difficult one for me is out of state travel. They generally frown upon travel and it will "raise an eyebrow" if you travel out of state. Further, you are not allowed to leave Ohio for more than 3 weeks in the summer and during those 3 week you are not allowed to earn any out of state income. Again, since they have access to your bank records they can figure out where you were.

I'm not trying to scare anyone and say it's incredibly unfair considering the break we get in tuition but I wouldn't consider it easy. Though sorry if this came off harsh...I'm a little bitter :-)

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:20 pm

Also, *ahem*, ltq, do you have news for us or is your fb friend confused?

(Yes, I facebook stalked you when I saw people got acceptances today)

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:21 pm

I guess OSU doesn't know what to do with me yet or I'm destined for the wait list that is yet to be compiled. Complete since 9/17.

brose

Postby brose » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:31 pm

charlesxavier wrote:I guess OSU doesn't know what to do with me yet or I'm destined for the wait list that is yet to be compiled. Complete since 9/17.

I'm right there with you... although a little later in review... 11/5. It's not a top choice of mine and i'll prob be attending a different higher ranked school but I would still like to know!! I know if I get admitted I won't get a scholarship so boo.

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:50 pm

rejected today via email

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:59 pm

At least you guys got decisions. I've been UR since 9/15.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:10 pm

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:10 pm

Lwoods wrote:Also, *ahem*, ltq, do you have news for us or is your fb friend confused?

(Yes, I facebook stalked you when I saw people got acceptances today)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was in the car driving when I found out so couldn't TLS safely.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:12 pm

lifestooquick wrote:I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Yayayayayayay!!!!!!

ETA: About time!

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:18 pm

excellent! congrats!

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:23 pm

Lwoods wrote:

Yayayayayayay!!!!!!

Burgstaller04 wrote:
excellent! congrats!

Thank you both! :)

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:21 am

Lwoods wrote:

Yayayayayayay!!!!!!

THERE YA GO!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!! :D

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:43 am

Spinozist21 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Yayayayayayay!!!!!!

THERE YA GO!!!!!!!!!!!

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:14 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Yayayayayayay!!!!!!

THERE YA GO!!!!!!!!!!!

You were ED, no?

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:27 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:

THERE YA GO!!!!!!!!!!!

You were ED, no?

Actually I wasn't.

I hope you hear soon!

kboulder

Postby kboulder » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:36 pm

Did anyone get mail from OSU saying that their server was breached and your Social Security number, date of birth, and address may have been compromised? I just got this mail and am quite shocked.

Here is the online link:
--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by kboulder on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:40 pm

kboulder wrote:Did anyone get mail from OSU saying that their server was breached and your Social Security numbers, date of birth, and address may have been breached? I just got this mail and am quite shocked.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... ck-attack/

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:16 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
kboulder wrote:Did anyone get mail from OSU saying that their server was breached and your Social Security numbers, date of birth, and address may have been breached? I just got this mail and am quite shocked.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... ck-attack/

:shock:

chewy

Postby chewy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:30 pm

has anyone heard anything about scholarship yet?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:06 am

chewy wrote:has anyone heard anything about scholarship yet?

I haven't heard yet, was trying to figure out when those who heard last year got the news.

I did finally finish the first draft of my Moritz scholarship essay... but I'd rather get the leadership full-tuition and be done. :) Otherwise, Bloomington, here I come...

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:10 am

Lwoods wrote:

I haven't heard yet, was trying to figure out when those who heard last year got the news.

I did finally finish the first draft of my Moritz scholarship essay... but I'd rather get the leadership full-tuition and be done. :) Otherwise, Bloomington, here I come...

Woohoo on finishing the draft of your essay! :) But boo to the tiny text :(

The email I got said that scholly info should be coming out late Jan/early Feb.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:29 am

lifestooquick wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I know. I'm trying not to get my hopes up about OSU scholarship $$ because, though my #s are good, they're not amazing. It seems a little strange that IU has more money to play with than OSU considering how crazy dedicated OSU alumni are, but the same people who got $30k+/year from IU last year seemed to get $12k/year from OSU.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:50 am

Lwoods wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I know. I'm trying not to get my hopes up about OSU scholarship $$ because, though my #s are good, they're not amazing. It seems a little strange that IU has more money to play with than OSU considering how crazy dedicated OSU alumni are, but the same people who got $30k+/year from IU last year seemed to get $12k/year from OSU.

I would posit the reason is that IU-Bloomington has been raising their tuition rather aggressively (something like 40% increase on instate in the last four years, and 30% on OOS in the same timeframe), while OSU has held pretty flat (less than 10% increase in the same timeframe). The dramatic increases in tuition sets up a system where the lower half of students (based on admission #s) pays for the upper half to go to school.

Great deal if you're an upper-tier student at IUB, but a hard burden to bear if you're the one shouldering $150k+ debt coming out of a good school that has taken a significant hit in placement over the years. I hope we're about to see a leveling off on tuition prices, but i'm skeptical.

Also, dedicated rich alumni often give donations dedicated to a specific cause - a new science thingamijig, an endowed scholarship, new football facilities. I'm sure there are many rich Moritz grads, but I can't imagine giving scholarship money to a law student would be high on somebody's priority list. It wouldn't be on mine.

JPR0488

Postby JPR0488 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:12 pm

Lwoods wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Did you get an invite to apply for the Moritz? Or are you just going ahead and applying anyway? I was hoping for an invite, but I got nothin so far...

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:17 pm

TommyK wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I would posit the reason is that IU-Bloomington has been raising their tuition rather aggressively (something like 40% increase on instate in the last four years, and 30% on OOS in the same timeframe), while OSU has held pretty flat (less than 10% increase in the same timeframe). The dramatic increases in tuition sets up a system where the lower half of students (based on admission #s) pays for the upper half to go to school.

Great deal if you're an upper-tier student at IUB, but a hard burden to bear if you're the one shouldering $150k+ debt coming out of a good school that has taken a significant hit in placement over the years. I hope we're about to see a leveling off on tuition prices, but i'm skeptical.

Also, dedicated rich alumni often give donations dedicated to a specific cause - a new science thingamijig, an endowed scholarship, new football facilities. I'm sure there are many rich Moritz grads, but I can't imagine giving scholarship money to a law student would be high on somebody's priority list. It wouldn't be on mine.

I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll just address your last point. Maurer (IU's law school) was one of the top recipients of alumni donations in 2010 (along with the music school). I don't see why OSU/Moritz couldn't spearhead a similar campaign. Surely the late Mr. Moritz isn't the only alumnus who cared about his law school enough to donate a significant sum of money.

JPR0488 wrote:Did you get an invite to apply for the Moritz? Or are you just going ahead and applying anyway? I was hoping for an invite, but I got nothin so far...

Ditto, was hoping for an invitation but didn't receive one. Applying anyway... 8)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”