Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Notor

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby Notor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:03 am

lifestooquick wrote:I really can't decide if I should ED or not. I'm not sure if it will help me out with the sub-25th GPA problem but I also don't want to be completely out of the running for $$. Thoughts? 164/3.28

Oh, and I really don't want to go anywhere else. tOSU is my absolute first choice.

Just get your app in ASAP. OSU isn't very splitter friendly, either reverse or regular. They seem to favor the 163-167 with 3.7ish GPAs for the big $$$, and obviously combinations higher based on LSN. Both medians went up this year though.

OSU needs to up its scholarship offers if it hopes to continue to attract candidates with better stats. The vast majority of 1L's are in-state students from OSU/Miami who chose OSU over going out of state because of the generous scholarship offer, which was $12k a year on $22,000 tuition. They raised it to like $24,414 this year. If it keeps rising and the $12k number stays static, they will lose a lot of high-scoring in-state kids who decide to take their talents to South Beach rather than remain in-state. I know for a fact that the #1 reason most in-state kids chose OSU was its scholarship offer. Paying $12k a year total in tuition is far more palatable than plunking down $40k+ to go to a school like Vandy or ND, especially with no guarantee of $$$ after graduation.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:33 am

Notor wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:I really can't decide if I should ED or not. I'm not sure if it will help me out with the sub-25th GPA problem but I also don't want to be completely out of the running for $$. Thoughts? 164/3.28

Oh, and I really don't want to go anywhere else. tOSU is my absolute first choice.

Just get your app in ASAP. OSU isn't very splitter friendly, either reverse or regular. They seem to favor the 163-167 with 3.7ish GPAs for the big $$$, and obviously combinations higher based on LSN. Both medians went up this year though.

OSU needs to up its scholarship offers if it hopes to continue to attract candidates with better stats. The vast majority of 1L's are in-state students from OSU/Miami who chose OSU over going out of state because of the generous scholarship offer, which was $12k a year on $22,000 tuition. They raised it to like $24,414 this year. If it keeps rising and the $12k number stays static, they will lose a lot of high-scoring in-state kids who decide to take their talents to South Beach rather than remain in-state. I know for a fact that the #1 reason most in-state kids chose OSU was its scholarship offer. Paying $12k a year total in tuition is far more palatable than plunking down $40k+ to go to a school like Vandy or ND, especially with no guarantee of $$$ after graduation.

Thanks! I should have my app in this week (for real this time...essays are just about DONE!). Hopefully that's early enough. I officially unchecked the ED box. Here's hoping OSU loves me!

brose

Postby brose » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:52 pm

I'm waiting with y'all.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:01 pm

Submitted my app tonight!!! :) Ended up not doing ED...let's hope it works out!

....and now we wait :(

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:10 am

Got a fee waiver today to Ohio State, so I may throw out an application here...

If I do, looks like I've got to get it in asap.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:55 am

Of course they would start sending out the fee waivers the day after I applied without one :( Oh well.

My file went complete already today! :)

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:09 am

So, I was looking at the graphs from previous cycles. It doesn't look good for a splitter like me (2.95/167). It looks like they accepted people who had 3.04/164 over candidates who had 2.96/167. It seems like there's a line of demarcation they won't cross regardless of LSAT score.

Anybody else see the data and interpreting the same things? Kind of a bummer.

brose

Postby brose » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:35 pm

I've read that it's easy to gain residency and hard to gain residency. I would totally go if I could get in state tuition for years 2-3. Anyone have any stories of people gaining residency?

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:44 pm

brose wrote:I've read that it's easy to gain residency and hard to gain residency. I would totally go if I could get in state tuition for years 2-3. Anyone have any stories of people gaining residency?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-scho ... dency.html

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:45 pm

brose wrote:I've read that it's easy to gain residency and hard to gain residency. I would totally go if I could get in state tuition for years 2-3. Anyone have any stories of people gaining residency?

Yes, it's incredibly easy. Basically, EVERYONE has in-state for years 2-3

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:46 pm

TommyK wrote:So, I was looking at the graphs from previous cycles. It doesn't look good for a splitter like me (2.95/167). It looks like they accepted people who had 3.04/164 over candidates who had 2.96/167. It seems like there's a line of demarcation they won't cross regardless of LSAT score.

Remember that OSU doesn't have a very large sampe size on LSN (comparitively). Just submit the strongest app you can!! Fingers crossed for you! :)

brose

Postby brose » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:55 pm

vegenator wrote:

This says it's hard and then someone else says it's easy... ugh this isn't helping! lol :?

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:59 pm

brose wrote:
vegenator wrote:

This says it's hard and then someone else says it's easy... ugh this isn't helping! lol :?

From Ohio State's residency page (http://www.ureg.ohio-state.edu/ourweb/m ... y/main.htm)

"A person who has been a resident of Ohio for all other legal purposes for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding his or her enrollment in an institution of higher education and who is not receiving, and has not directly or indirectly received in the preceding 12 consecutive months, financial support from persons or entities who are not residents of Ohio for all other legal purposes shall be classified as a resident of the State of Ohio for subsidy and tuition surcharge purposes."

I live in Columbus and visited the school. From what I heard, once you live in Ohio for 12 months (you need to switch over your driver's license and everything as soon as you move here) you can get Ohio residency.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:05 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
TommyK wrote:So, I was looking at the graphs from previous cycles. It doesn't look good for a splitter like me (2.95/167). It looks like they accepted people who had 3.04/164 over candidates who had 2.96/167. It seems like there's a line of demarcation they won't cross regardless of LSAT score.

Remember that OSU doesn't have a very large sampe size on LSN (comparitively). Just submit the strongest app you can!! Fingers crossed for you! :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement. If I get in, first round is on me.

brose

Postby brose » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:43 pm

@lifestooquick - thanks! I plan on moving there a little earlier (few months) just in case it helps... lol.

ChinaMex

Postby ChinaMex » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:16 pm

brose wrote:
vegenator wrote:

Hey I'm currently a 1L from California and I personally think the residency requirements are ridiculous and quite difficult. Basically they want to make sure of three things: that you live here, that you intend to stay, and you're an independent. This means no gifts. They are serious about this. If you get a $50 check from your grandma for your birthday you cannot use it during your evaluation period (Sept 1st, 2011- Sep 1st, 2012 ((doesn't matter if you lived there earlier))). You cannot receive any out of state funds during this period. They have access to your bank records for up to 5 years so they'll figure it out haha.

Additionally they "prove" intent to stay in a number of different ways. The easy ones are voter registration, car registration, driver's license, etc. (you can do this whenever throughout the year). The most difficult one for me is out of state travel. They generally frown upon travel and it will "raise an eyebrow" if you travel out of state. Further, you are not allowed to leave Ohio for more than 3 weeks in the summer and during those 3 week you are not allowed to earn any out of state income. Again, since they have access to your bank records they can figure out where you were.

I'm not trying to scare anyone and say it's incredibly unfair considering the break we get in tuition but I wouldn't consider it easy. Though sorry if this came off harsh...I'm a little bitter :-)

brose

Postby brose » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:27 pm

No, this is good to know. Thank you!

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:06 pm

ChinaMex wrote:
brose wrote:
vegenator wrote:

Hey I'm currently a 1L from California and I personally think the residency requirements are ridiculous and quite difficult. Basically they want to make sure of three things: that you live here, that you intend to stay, and you're an independent. This means no gifts. They are serious about this. If you get a $50 check from your grandma for your birthday you cannot use it during your evaluation period (Sept 1st, 2011- Sep 1st, 2012 ((doesn't matter if you lived there earlier))). You cannot receive any out of state funds during this period. They have access to your bank records for up to 5 years so they'll figure it out haha.

Additionally they "prove" intent to stay in a number of different ways. The easy ones are voter registration, car registration, driver's license, etc. (you can do this whenever throughout the year). The most difficult one for me is out of state travel. They generally frown upon travel and it will "raise an eyebrow" if you travel out of state. Further, you are not allowed to leave Ohio for more than 3 weeks in the summer and during those 3 week you are not allowed to earn any out of state income. Again, since they have access to your bank records they can figure out where you were.

I'm not trying to scare anyone and say it's incredibly unfair considering the break we get in tuition but I wouldn't consider it easy. Though sorry if this came off harsh...I'm a little bitter :-)

How do you like it coming from California? I just applied and am wondering how the adjustment is...especially weather wise.

And thank you for the information about residency status!

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:13 pm

The whole issue with gifts has to do with proving independence, right? Do you happen to know if being married changes the process?

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:21 pm

I'll pop in this thread. Hope to have my app in by early next week.

PS Anyone know if OSU yield protects?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:56 pm

The Gentleman wrote:I'll pop in this thread. Hope to have my app in by early next week.

PS Anyone know if OSU yield protects?

I hope not... wouldn't hurt to include a "Why OSU" paragraph, though.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Lwoods wrote:I hope not... wouldn't hurt to include a "Why OSU" paragraph, though.

What about a "Why OSU" essay? There's nothing on their app about this, but I've read that you can attach one regardless.

chalhou1

Postby chalhou1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:10 pm

I'm applying right now but does anyone know if I should actually write the paper about diversity? I really have nothing to add, so should I bypass it?

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:11 pm

chalhou1 wrote:I'm applying right now but does anyone know if I should actually write the paper about diversity? I really have nothing to add, so should I bypass it?

If you have nothing worth writing a diversity statement about, the don't write one.

chalhou1

Postby chalhou1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:12 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
chalhou1 wrote:I'm applying right now but does anyone know if I should actually write the paper about diversity? I really have nothing to add, so should I bypass it?

If you have nothing worth writing a diversity statement about, the don't write one.

ok do you know if that really hurts admissions though?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”