Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Spinozist21

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby Spinozist21 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:08 pm

lifestooquick wrote:That's cool that they have students call you. I'm hoping the next big round of acceptances comes out this week (but it will probably be next week).

Finally feels like winter here in Cbus - 21 degrees and snowing!

Shits its 28 at Vandy today.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm

zrcm18 wrote:Sure wish Ohio State would hurry up! Been in review for almost a month!

me too :(

kastanie23

Postby kastanie23 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:52 pm

I'm in at OSU, found out 12/1!

I currently live in Columbus and have lots of friends who attend the law school... so any questions, let me know!

ZRay1229

Postby ZRay1229 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:04 pm

Just accepted into Mortiz via email!!!! I'm gonna be a Buckeye for 3 more years! O-H!!!

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:08 pm

ZRay1229 wrote:Just accepted into Mortiz via email!!!! I'm gonna be a Buckeye for 3 more years! O-H!!!

Congrats!!!

As a CA resident - I'm curious - how is life in Columbus, OH?

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:09 pm

ZRay1229 wrote:Just accepted into Mortiz via email!!!! I'm gonna be a Buckeye for 3 more years! O-H!!!

Congratulations. I wonder if I will finally get a decision from OSU?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:23 pm

*begrudgingly*.. I...O...

I hate that chant.... Congrats.

SortOfObsessed

Postby SortOfObsessed » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:23 pm

When did you submit/go complete?

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:27 pm

SortOfObsessed wrote:

That was going to be my next question as well.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:28 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
SortOfObsessed wrote:

That was going to be my next question as well.

I think he did ED, ZRay, correct me if I'm wrong though. So us RD people are going to have to wait a little longer, if that is the case.

ZRay1229

Postby ZRay1229 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:30 pm

@ QueenLizzie:
I was born and raised in Columbus. It's a great city that really grows on you. There are a lot of major companies based here (Nationwide Insurance, Wendy's, Limited Brands, Abercrombie and Fitch). It's also pretty convienant geographically: 2-3 hour drives to Indy, Pittsburgh, Cincy, and Cleveland. 6ish hour drive from Chicago, D.C., Detriot, Nashville. The cost of living is good when compared to average income. Be prepared for all 4 seasons! It can be nice sometimes, but most of us are sick of the snow by January. Overall, it is a great place to live and work. Very nice suburbs with good schools, too.

Also, I was ED, but if you check LSN, there were people that were RD that have decisions already, but it looks like they all applied in September/October.

@SortofObsessed:
Submitted 11/5. Complete 11/15. I was a Early Decision applicant, by the way. That might have accelerated the process a little bit.

@TommyK and Spinozist:
Thanks man
Last edited by ZRay1229 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:30 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:

Congrats!!!

I'm a native Midwesterner but just moved here after nearly a decade in NYC.

It's a nice city, but I'm a little disappointed that there is so much based in the suburbs. There is very little shopping downtown.
That said, what is downtown is pretty cool. There are lots of independently owned shops and restaurants (there are actually a lot of good local restaurants). Though I haven't done it yet, [art] gallery crawls are popular, as are wine tastings. As far as Midwestern cities go, Columbus is definitely one of the most cultured (2nd to Chicago, I'd say). German Village / the Brewery District and the Short North are the coolest areas, imo. It's also been called the most underrated gay friendly city in America, whatever that means. :)
OSU Football dominates. This is weird to me, having gone to a Division 3 school without a football team that couldn't pay students to go to its basketball games. But the whole city gets into it. It borders on obnoxious, but if you feel like jumping in and becoming a fan, I imagine it's a lot of fun.
The public transportation is horrible. I took the bus once; it took forever. I hate driving, but your options are driving or walking, and walking isn't always an option. If you come for the ASW, definitely rent a car so you can check out various parts of the city.
If you like major retailers, the shopping, though in the 'burbs, is amazing. Thank you, Les Wexner. Easton Town Center has Tiffany, BCBG, Coach, Burberry, as well as all the retailers HQ'ed here (The Limited, Express, Henri Bendel, Victoria's Secret, Pink, CO Bigelow, Bath & Body Works, VSX, Abercrombie & Fitch, and, if you have young nieces, Justice) and more.
Parking around campus is a pain. In fact, I got a $40 ticket after my visit even though there were no signs designating that street as permit only (grr). I imagine this will be less of an issue as a student.

It's a very "white collar" city. The bigger companies are insurance companies, specialty retailers and Cardinal Health. Most of the people I've met work for one of the retailers, one of the insurance companies, OSU, pharma companies (drug reps), or law firms.

Gotta run to a meeting, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions since I just did the coast to Columbus move. :D

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:18 pm

In via email! Go Bucks!

amg131s

Postby amg131s » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:22 pm

The Gentleman wrote:In via email! Go Bucks!

when did your email arrive?

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Congrats to those who got in today!!!

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:45 pm

amg131s wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:In via email! Go Bucks!

when did your email arrive?

This afternoon.

kastanie23

Postby kastanie23 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:59 am

Lwoods wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

Congrats!!!

It's a nice city, but I'm a little disappointed that there is so much based in the suburbs. There is very little shopping downtown.
That said, what is downtown is pretty cool. There are lots of independently owned shops and restaurants (there are actually a lot of good local restaurants). Though I haven't done it yet, [art] gallery crawls are popular, as are wine tastings. As far as Midwestern cities go, Columbus is definitely one of the most cultured (2nd to Chicago, I'd say). German Village / the Brewery District and the Short North are the coolest areas, imo. It's also been called the most underrated gay friendly city in America, whatever that means. :)
OSU Football dominates. This is weird to me, having gone to a Division 3 school without a football team that couldn't pay students to go to its basketball games. But the whole city gets into it. It borders on obnoxious, but if you feel like jumping in and becoming a fan, I imagine it's a lot of fun.
The public transportation is horrible. I took the bus once; it took forever. I hate driving, but your options are driving or walking, and walking isn't always an option. If you come for the ASW, definitely rent a car so you can check out various parts of the city.
If you like major retailers, the shopping, though in the 'burbs, is amazing. Thank you, Les Wexner. Easton Town Center has Tiffany, BCBG, Coach, Burberry, as well as all the retailers HQ'ed here (The Limited, Express, Henri Bendel, Victoria's Secret, Pink, CO Bigelow, Bath & Body Works, VSX, Abercrombie & Fitch, and, if you have young nieces, Justice) and more.
Parking around campus is a pain. In fact, I got a $40 ticket after my visit even though there were no signs designating that street as permit only (grr). I imagine this will be less of an issue as a student.

It's a very "white collar" city. The bigger companies are insurance companies, specialty retailers and Cardinal Health. Most of the people I've met work for one of the retailers, one of the insurance companies, OSU, pharma companies (drug reps), or law firms.

Gotta run to a meeting, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions since I just did the coast to Columbus move. :D

LWoods- just curious... I'm thinking of making the move to NYC for law school... I've lived in Ohio for most of my life (excepting a year out of Germany). How does New York compare? Is it really as expensive and difficult to live in as everyone says??

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:57 am

kastanie23 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

LWoods- just curious... I'm thinking of making the move to NYC for law school... I've lived in Ohio for most of my life (excepting a year out of Germany). How does New York compare? Is it really as expensive and difficult to live in as everyone says??

Sending you a PM...

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:03 am

Is osu usually quick with the turnaround? I applied Monday and just checked the status checker. I already have a file complete in review. Not complaining at all but it was not what I expected either.

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:04 am

theavrock wrote:Is osu usually quick with the turnaround? I applied Monday and just checked the status checker. I already have a file complete in review. Not complaining at all but it was not what I expected either.

This is the only status they have. You may or may not have to wait, no one knows. That's the only status I had from the day after I applied until I was accepted.

Your mileage may vary :lol:

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:19 am

Boo hiss!!!!! :D

kaimccau

Postby kaimccau » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:31 am

I submitted my application early in Nov. and went complete on the 12th I think. I got accepted last week. I am RD and my numbers are not extremely high so I was suprised to get an answer so quick. I can only guess that they liked the fact that I am from New Mexico and wanted that state represented or something. I can't imagine there are too many qualified applicants coming out of here, but who knows?

ioftendreamoftrains

Postby ioftendreamoftrains » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:31 am

I would be in a similar situation if I decide to attend. Cbus would be a BIG adjustment.

SortOfObsessed

Postby SortOfObsessed » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:43 pm

OSU has been painfully slow for me. I submitted and went complete on November 3rd. I still haven't heard a thing, and my numbers are above medians, not to mention I'm a Columbus resident. I can only think they don't think I'll attend, since I chose to do UG out of state. :/

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:51 pm

SortOfObsessed wrote:OSU has been painfully slow for me. I submitted and went complete on November 3rd. I still haven't heard a thing, and my numbers are above medians, not to mention I'm a Columbus resident. I can only think they don't think I'll attend, since I chose to do UG out of state. :/

Did you write a "Why OSU"?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”