Ohio State 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Post by SherlockHolmes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:38 am

Still no word from Ohio State. I have been IR since 1/4. Almost to the point of calling admissions to see if they can tell me anything.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:02 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:Still no word from Ohio State. I have been IR since 1/4. Almost to the point of calling admissions to see if they can tell me anything.
I would call if I were you.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:20 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
SherlockHolmes wrote:Still no word from Ohio State. I have been IR since 1/4. Almost to the point of calling admissions to see if they can tell me anything.
I would call if I were you.
I don't see why. They indicate on the status checker that it will be 6-8 weeks. Right now it has been 7 weeks.

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:28 pm

If you call and they give you any good info, please let me know.

I went UR on Jan 14, so I figured I would call them on March 14th if I hadn't heard anything. That's my plan.

SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Post by SherlockHolmes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:33 pm

dans1006 wrote:

I went UR on Jan 14, so I figured I would call them on March 14th if I hadn't heard anything. That's my plan.
I plan to wait until at least March 4th. If I end up calling I'll be sure to relay what they say.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chalhou1

Bronze

Post by chalhou1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:51 pm

I have been in review since December the 27th. I'm a reach (158, 3.78) but should it be taking this long? or call asap?

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:51 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:
dans1006 wrote:

I plan to wait until at least March 4th. If I end up calling I'll be sure to relay what they say.

Thanks Holmes. You should be right in the target zone to hear something this week or by early next week. I'll be standing by to hear your decision and since we have similiar numbers, I'll probably take whatever they say to you as a good indication on my chances.

I would love to hear something soon enough to go to the first ASW but my guess is that isn't going to happen. :(

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:01 pm

chalhou1 wrote:I have been in review since December the 27th. I'm a reach (158, 3.78) but should it be taking this long? or call asap?

If i was in your shoes I would have called already but thats because I'm kind of neurotic. Still, you hear these stories about people calling and then coincidentally they get their rejection the next day. Could be coincidence or could be that admissions folks don't like when people call.

Like I said, I would've called already because I can't deal with the suspense, but if you're in somewhere you wouldn't mind going and you're just hoping for the possibility of a last minute acceptance from your reach school, perhaps you should just plan as if you're going to your top acceptance and if OSU throws you a spot in March or April, you just figure you're out a seat deposit. That's what i'm doing with my reach. That is as long as I don't get too neurotic about it and call...

But if you call and they tell you anything, PLEASE POST and let us know how it goes and if they give you any good info (like that they're not making any decisions until after the ASW).

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:51 pm

clearfire wrote:Does OSU negotiate aid very often? Anyone have success? I've heard they don't give many full rides. Can anyone confirm if they are willing to negotiate at all?

OSU has a "no negotiation" policy. I attempted with two better offers from higher ranked Midwestern schools, and I'm not sure if they even looked at it, to be honest. They just said they don't negotiate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:23 pm

mcubberly wrote:
clearfire wrote:Does OSU negotiate aid very often? Anyone have success? I've heard they don't give many full rides. Can anyone confirm if they are willing to negotiate at all?

OSU has a "no negotiation" policy. I attempted with two better offers from higher ranked Midwestern schools, and I'm not sure if they even looked at it, to be honest. They just said they don't negotiate.
That sucks :( Especially if it ends up meaning you and Lwoods won't be at OSU :cry:

keeran23

New

Post by keeran23 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:42 pm

Anyone attending the April 15-16 visitation weekend? A combination of exams and waiting on other schools' acceptances made March a no go.

charcop

New

Post by charcop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:32 pm

dans1006 wrote:
chalhou1 wrote:I have been in review since December the 27th. I'm a reach (158, 3.78) but should it be taking this long? or call asap?

If i was in your shoes I would have called already but thats because I'm kind of neurotic. Still, you hear these stories about people calling and then coincidentally they get their rejection the next day. Could be coincidence or could be that admissions folks don't like when people call.

Like I said, I would've called already because I can't deal with the suspense, but if you're in somewhere you wouldn't mind going and you're just hoping for the possibility of a last minute acceptance from your reach school, perhaps you should just plan as if you're going to your top acceptance and if OSU throws you a spot in March or April, you just figure you're out a seat deposit. That's what i'm doing with my reach. That is as long as I don't get too neurotic about it and call...

But if you call and they tell you anything, PLEASE POST and let us know how it goes and if they give you any good info (like that they're not making any decisions until after the ASW).
Crossing my fingers for you dans! Would love to have you part of the class :)

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:07 pm

Ding via email :-/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:15 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Ding via email :-/
Sorry NC... Well perhaps I will receive some closure today too.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:20 pm

dans1006 wrote:
Sorry NC... Well perhaps I will receive some closure today too.
Yeah, that is basically the way I am thinking of it. At least I won't obsess over checking my status checker now. lol

RTS83

New

Post by RTS83 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:43 pm

So sorry :(

Your numbers would seem to be pretty strong for OSU. Wonder what gives?

charcop

New

Post by charcop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:21 pm

RTS83 wrote:

I totally agree :? Everybody with a 165 and at least 3.15 got in according to LSN so i'm blown away why you wouldn't :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chalhou1

Bronze

Post by chalhou1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Yeah I will let you guys know if I call. If I don't hear anything by Monday, I will give them a call. I expect to get rejected but it would be nice to at least get a decision

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:14 pm

charcop wrote:
RTS83 wrote:

I totally agree :? Everybody with a 165 and at least 3.15 got in according to LSN so i'm blown away why you wouldn't :(
Maybe at this point they are only accepting those they feel will actually go there. All the other schools I applied to are in the Mid-Atlantic region. I have no ties to Ohio... Other than that I can't see why, if it is based on numbers why I was dinged, but I'm not terribly sad about it. Just helps me narrow my choices.

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:12 pm

chalhou1 wrote:Yeah I will let you guys know if I call. If I don't hear anything by Monday, I will give them a call. I expect to get rejected but it would be nice to at least get a decision
Best of luck! I look forward to hearing what they say.

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 pm

charcop wrote:
RTS83 wrote:

Moritz is retaining all the really strong in-state kids, that's why, and their classes are getting stronger number-wise. When you have a 167/3.8 and could go to Vandy and pay $70k a year, or go to Moritz as an Ohio resident and pay $25k a year (and that's liberal), what do you think most people would choose? Moritz also has a 2.5 scholarship stipulation for the half-tuition scholarships, which is very generous. OSU also seems to not like splitters.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:36 am

Notor wrote:
charcop wrote:
RTS83 wrote:

Moritz is retaining all the really strong in-state kids, that's why, and their classes are getting stronger number-wise. When you have a 167/3.8 and could go to Vandy and pay $70k a year, or go to Moritz as an Ohio resident and pay $25k a year (and that's liberal), what do you think most people would choose? Moritz also has a 2.5 scholarship stipulation for the half-tuition scholarships, which is very generous. OSU also seems to not like splitters.
I don't understand what you mean by splitters?

RTS83

New

Post by RTS83 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:34 am

Splitters are people who's LSAT is much higher than their GPA would indicate they are capable of scoring.

EX: 171/3.0

Reverse splitters are those who have an LSAT much lower than one would expect from their GPA.

EX: 154/3.9

Northwestern is a prime example of a school that loves splitters. You get a 170+ and unless you absolutely tanked undergrad you will get a pretty good look. OSU draws a hard line on numbers for GPA and LSAT.

As for keeping the in-state kids? You're totally right. Thousands upon thousands of people take the test here (as I assume it is in every state) its only natural to want to recruit people who value what OSU has to offer: Midwest/Ohio job prospects.

cj2k14

New

Post by cj2k14 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:27 am

I was accepted just over a week ago! Hoping I get some paperwork in the mail soon about some ASW action. How long was it from your acceptance until you received hard copy information from OSU?

RTS83

New

Post by RTS83 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:32 pm

cj2k14 wrote:I was accepted just over a week ago! Hoping I get some paperwork in the mail soon about some ASW action. How long was it from your acceptance until you received hard copy information from OSU?
My status checker says it was mailed out the day of my decision (2/11) but nothing has come here. Wonder if they sent it to my parents' house? I feel like they would have told me...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”