Ohio State 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
The Gentleman

Silver

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Post by The Gentleman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:18 pm

chalhou1 wrote:ok do you know if that really hurts admissions though?
An insincere diversity statement could definitely have a negative impact on your application. Are you an underrepresented minority? If so then write one. If not, then skip this.

EDIT: Sorry, were you asking if skipping the diversity statement hurts your chances? Skipping this will not impact your application. Writing a good DS will strengthen your application. Writing a poor DS will weaken your chances.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:51 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
chalhou1 wrote:ok do you know if that really hurts admissions though?
An insincere diversity statement could definitely have a negative impact on your application. Are you an underrepresented minority? If so then write one. If not, then skip this.

EDIT: Sorry, were you asking if skipping the diversity statement hurts your chances? Skipping this will not impact your application. Writing a good DS will strengthen your application. Writing a poor DS will weaken your chances.
This is the generally accepted answer and I agree with it.

However, I did just want to add that when I went to the OSU open house, Dean Northern specifically said that when things on an application say optional, they aren't really optional. She outright said that she highly encourages all applicants to write a diversity statement.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:54 pm

lifestooquick wrote:This is the generally accepted answer and I agree with it.

However, I did just want to add that when I went to the OSU open house, Dean Northern specifically said that when things on an application say optional, they aren't really optional. She outright said that she highly encourages all applicants to write a diversity statement.
My apologies. I was speaking about law schools in general. Not specifically about OSU. Good to know though!

ChinaMex

New

Post by ChinaMex » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:53 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
ChinaMex wrote:
Hey I'm currently a 1L from California and I personally think the residency requirements are ridiculous and quite difficult. Basically they want to make sure of three things: that you live here, that you intend to stay, and you're an independent. This means no gifts. They are serious about this. If you get a $50 check from your grandma for your birthday you cannot use it during your evaluation period (Sept 1st, 2011- Sep 1st, 2012 ((doesn't matter if you lived there earlier))). You cannot receive any out of state funds during this period. They have access to your bank records for up to 5 years so they'll figure it out haha.

Additionally they "prove" intent to stay in a number of different ways. The easy ones are voter registration, car registration, driver's license, etc. (you can do this whenever throughout the year). The most difficult one for me is out of state travel. They generally frown upon travel and it will "raise an eyebrow" if you travel out of state. Further, you are not allowed to leave Ohio for more than 3 weeks in the summer and during those 3 week you are not allowed to earn any out of state income. Again, since they have access to your bank records they can figure out where you were.

I'm not trying to scare anyone and say it's incredibly unfair considering the break we get in tuition but I wouldn't consider it easy. Though sorry if this came off harsh...I'm a little bitter :-)
How do you like it coming from California? I just applied and am wondering how the adjustment is...especially weather wise.

And thank you for the information about residency status!
I'm from the Bay Area originally but I went to undergrad in Chicago so I've seen winter :-) Based on winters in Chicago, I don't think it's that bad. I mean there are some days you don't want to go outside but I think the key is generally layers.

Culturally, I actually really like Columbus. I do miss Mexican food but there are no other significant complaints haha. I would say from a career perspective that if you want to go back to California or out of the Midwest, you will have a more difficult time than people who go to a similarly ranked school in the market you want to practice. It's not impossible, of course, but keep that in mind as you apply.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
charlesxavier wrote:The whole issue with gifts has to do with proving independence, right? Do you happen to know if being married changes the process?
Yes, the issue is if you are going to be an independent (C-2). I assume if you're going to be relying on a spouse you would be a C-3 but I believe that means your spouse has to be earning an Ohio income. Here's a link to the residency home page for OSU that was super helpful for me:

http://www.ureg.ohio-state.edu/ourweb/m ... es_new.htm

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:57 pm

Ugh, can I just say that I hate waiting :( Also, it seems like they're a little behind from last year - according to LSN, it looks like last year's first round of decisions came around 11/10.

Although, with when I submitted (11/4) I'm just venture a guess that I won't hear until late December/January :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:32 pm

lifestooquick wrote:Ugh, can I just say that I hate waiting :( Also, it seems like they're a little behind from last year - according to LSN, it looks like last year's first round of decisions came around 11/10.

Although, with when I submitted (11/4) I'm just venture a guess that I won't hear until late December/January :(
I would imagine any decisions that came in November were ED. I applied November 1 and didn't hear anything until January, and I was a clear admit. Relax* :)

* Yeah, I know it's impossible to relax in your app cycle. FWIW, it doesn't get any better once you're here.

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:35 pm

TTH wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:Ugh, can I just say that I hate waiting :( Also, it seems like they're a little behind from last year - according to LSN, it looks like last year's first round of decisions came around 11/10.

I would imagine any decisions that came in November were ED. I applied November 1 and didn't hear anything until January, and I was a clear admit. Relax* :)

* Yeah, I know it's impossible to relax in your app cycle. FWIW, it doesn't get any better once you're here.
I applied in September and they just now put me complete and into review :lol:

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:44 pm

TTH wrote:

From what I read on the thread from last year many/most people who were admitted on Nov. 10 were RD. I've been "File Complete, Under Review" for 2 months, so I'm expecting something within the next week(s).

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:51 pm

TTH wrote:

Did they ask you to apply for the Moritz Scholarship? I thought fall applicants would receive decisions before the end of the year based on this wording:
Some students admitted to the Moritz College of Law, and identified as having the background and credentials qualifying them for consideration as potential Moritz Scholars, will be invited to complete the Moritz Scholar Application; however all are welcome to apply.

We recognize that some students with excellent academic records and personal histories are completing their application for admission in December or January and might not, therefore, receive a decision on their application prior to January 1. We invite those students to download the Moritz Scholar Application and submit it as soon as possible.
I've supposedly been "under review" since 9/29. 7 weeks!
But, the status checker also says this:
Decisions on applications can be expected in 6-8 weeks from the time of application after December 23rd.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:55 pm

Has anybody had any luck with requesting a merit based fee waiver? I e-mailed them a week ago and have yet to hear back.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:57 pm

I was not asked to apply for the Moritz, so I suppose I wasn't that clear of an admit, but I was under review, IIRC, for quite a while. I don't remember when I went from complete to under review, but just know that b/c people with similar stats are getting decisions now doesn't mean anything necessarily.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:17 am

dreakol wrote:Has anybody had any luck with requesting a merit based fee waiver? I e-mailed them a week ago and have yet to hear back.
I got a merit based fee waiver but I did not solicit for one either....
So not sure how much this helps you.

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Any decisions yet? I have been in review only a couple days so I do not expect any decision on mine anytime soon (although it will be a fairly easy reject HAHA)...anyone?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:27 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:Any decisions yet? I have been in review only a couple days so I do not expect any decision on mine anytime soon (although it will be a fairly easy reject HAHA)...anyone?
I haven't seen anyone posting about a decision (on here or LSN). I have been complete and "under review" for over 2 months. It seems they are going to be giving decisions out a little later than the past few years. I hope we hear soon.

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:28 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:Any decisions yet? I have been in review only a couple days so I do not expect any decision on mine anytime soon (although it will be a fairly easy reject HAHA)...anyone?
I haven't seen anyone posting about a decision (on here or LSN). I have been complete and "under review" for over 2 months. It seems they are going to be giving decisions out a little later than the past few years. I hope we hear soon.
I should have been complete weeks ago, but finally I just emailed them and asked if my last letter of recommendation had not arrived and they replied and finally I was complete. It was weird.

ZRay1229

New

Post by ZRay1229 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:32 pm

Hey everyone. I'm playing the waiting game with the rest of you. I applied Early Decision.

Anyone else applying Early Decision?
Last edited by ZRay1229 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:23 pm

ZRay1229 wrote:Hey everyone. I'm playing the waiting game with the rest of you. I applied Early Decision. I was worried about my numbers with a 161 and a 3.95 overall UGPA according to LSDAS (3.83 at OSU, 4.0 from 2 years at Columbus State). I felt that applying ED might give me the small boost I needed. Law School Predictor put my chances at 67% or "Strong Consider", but if I entered in that I was applying as an Early Decision applicant, it upgraded me to "Admit".

Anyone else applying Early Decision? or any opinions on my chances with these factors?

OSU says that it does not affect your chances. They say if you apply ED or regular, you'll have the exact same chance. I think you have a very solid shot; You're above the 75th percentile for gpa, and above the 25th percentile for LSAT. You'll be pretty competitive, but probably not because of early decision.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:18 am

TommyK wrote:
ZRay1229 wrote:Hey everyone. I'm playing the waiting game with the rest of you. I applied Early Decision. I was worried about my numbers with a 161 and a 3.95 overall UGPA according to LSDAS (3.83 at OSU, 4.0 from 2 years at Columbus State). I felt that applying ED might give me the small boost I needed. Law School Predictor put my chances at 67% or "Strong Consider", but if I entered in that I was applying as an Early Decision applicant, it upgraded me to "Admit".

Anyone else applying Early Decision? or any opinions on my chances with these factors?

OSU says that it does not affect your chances. They say if you apply ED or regular, you'll have the exact same chance. I think you have a very solid shot; You're above the 75th percentile for gpa, and above the 25th percentile for LSAT. You'll be pretty competitive, but probably not because of early decision.
25th percentile was 161 for the Class of 2013. My bet is that he will get in late in the cycle. A fellow 1L I know had nearly identical stats and was under review from early November until nearly March before finally being accepted. Moritz is getting really picky about LSAT scores. They seem to favor balanced applicants over splitter/reverse-splitters, i.e. 3.7/165 is auto-admit with $$$, while a 170/3.1 or a 3.9/160 are going to be waiting until the class starts to fill up so the school can get an idea of where their numbers are going.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:05 am

My residency status finally updated :) They had me as out-of-state for awhile there, but it now says in-state.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:13 am

Notor wrote: 25th percentile was 161 for the Class of 2013. My bet is that he will get in late in the cycle. A fellow 1L I know had nearly identical stats and was under review from early November until nearly March before finally being accepted. Moritz is getting really picky about LSAT scores. They seem to favor balanced applicants over splitter/reverse-splitters, i.e. 3.7/165 is auto-admit with $$$, while a 170/3.1 or a 3.9/160 are going to be waiting until the class starts to fill up so the school can get an idea of where their numbers are going.
Where did you see that 161 is their 25th? According to what I saw on their website 160 is the 25th, 163 is the median, and 164 is the 75th.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:36 pm

I drive by the law school at OSU everyday...I may or may not yell out "Please please please let me in" every time I drive by :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:40 pm

lifestooquick wrote:I drive by the law school at OSU everyday...I may or may not yell out "Please please please let me in" every time I drive by :oops:
Are you a current OSU undergraduate?

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:I drive by the law school at OSU everyday...I may or may not yell out "Please please please let me in" every time I drive by :oops:
Nope, I work in Cbus. My husband is a PhD student at OSU.

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:46 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:
Nope, I work in Cbus. My husband is a PhD student at OSU.
What department? What part of Columbus do you live in?

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:53 pm

:) i'm visiting over winter break. going to the michigan game this weekend!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”