Ohio State 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dans1006

Bronze

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Post by dans1006 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:28 pm

Yep! UC feels like a better fit right now anyway, but I wonder if that is just me sort of liking the school that liked me. I had such a crush on OSU but I guess I got lost in the shuffle and now I feel too butt hurt and bitter to even care if they're going to ask me to dance.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:44 pm

dans1006 wrote:Yep! UC feels like a better fit right now anyway, but I wonder if that is just me sort of liking the school that liked me. I had such a crush on OSU but I guess I got lost in the shuffle and now I feel too butt hurt and bitter to even care if they're going to ask me to dance.
Ha. I definitely feel like every other school I got into liked me better than OSU does. Really made the decision very difficult b/c I had to consider the other factors in my life. Maybe they could work on their marketing... or maybe they just don't like you and me? :wink:

Best of luck at UC!

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:14 pm

Lwoods wrote:
gens1tb wrote:How far in advance do you need to get living arrangements in Columbus, if you want to be relatively close to the campus
For Columbus in general, I've been told people tend to come looking for places 2 months in advance or immediately. I'm not sure if it's different closer to campus. You might look into a few places you like and see if they know anything about August yet.
Oh, missed this. I called Sonnenblick earlier in the week as a result of posts in this topic (I think yours?) He didn't have anything, but the waitlist was only $50 and it cuts down the security deposit or is refunded if they can't find you a place. I also called the Quarry (eh) and Meridian (so pretty), and a few other places, but was put off by their lack of availability and wait list requirements ($399 nonrefundable from Meridian and it doesn't count towards anything except their 'application fee'). I think I'm just being overly paranoid.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:08 pm

gens1tb wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
gens1tb wrote:How far in advance do you need to get living arrangements in Columbus, if you want to be relatively close to the campus
For Columbus in general, I've been told people tend to come looking for places 2 months in advance or immediately. I'm not sure if it's different closer to campus. You might look into a few places you like and see if they know anything about August yet.
Oh, missed this. I called Sonnenblick earlier in the week as a result of posts in this topic (I think yours?) He didn't have anything, but the waitlist was only $50 and it cuts down the security deposit or is refunded if they can't find you a place. I also called the Quarry (eh) and Meridian (so pretty), and a few other places, but was put off by their lack of availability and wait list requirements ($399 nonrefundable from Meridian and it doesn't count towards anything except their 'application fee'). I think I'm just being overly paranoid.
Ugh, you should tell Sonnenblick to kick out my neighbors and you could move in there. I love it here, but my neighbors love their parties :(

Meridian gets terrible reviews from what I've heard. I don't know anyone that lives there, so it's mostly hearsay though. But it's reviews online are pretty poor as well.

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 am

lifestooquick wrote:
gens1tb wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
Ugh, you should tell Sonnenblick to kick out my neighbors and you could move in there. I love it here, but my neighbors love their parties :(

Meridian gets terrible reviews from what I've heard. I don't know anyone that lives there, so it's mostly hearsay though. But it's reviews online are pretty poor as well.
My experience with apartments has been inconsistent with online reviews for the most part. One of my best apartments had some of the worst reviews I've seen.

I've based most of my apartment calls on two things: washer/dryer hook-ups and pet friendly. I just bought a new washer/dryer earlier this year and damn it I refuse to store or sell them. But, only some townhomes in Sonnenblick have the hook-ups :/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RTS83

New

Post by RTS83 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:09 am

apartment reviews are generally useless. More often than not the only people that are motivated to write a review are the ones that have had horrible experiences.

I lived in the Fox and Hounds community for 3 years. Its reviewed horribly on that website, yet it was a wonderful place to live with almost zero issues. Plus, getting to campus took all of 5 minutes.

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Is anyone living in non-complex apartments? It looks like there's some decent places in Clintonville, etc.

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:17 pm

hey everyone, withdrew my app from ohio state

$30k more back in the pot for scholarships

go bucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:36 pm

RTS83 wrote:apartment reviews are generally useless. More often than not the only people that are motivated to write a review are the ones that have had horrible experiences.

I lived in the Fox and Hounds community for 3 years. Its reviewed horribly on that website, yet it was a wonderful place to live with almost zero issues. Plus, getting to campus took all of 5 minutes.
Yeah, but then that should be a constant across the board, right? So you can still compare reviews of complexes relative to one another.

-in a complex with almost all positive reviews and employed at a company that gets more calls for compliments than complaints. :D

In other news... the women's fitted t-shirts at the campus B&N run small... like, smaller than American Apparel small. :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Lwoods wrote:
RTS83 wrote:apartment reviews are generally useless. More often than not the only people that are motivated to write a review are the ones that have had horrible experiences.

Yeah, but then that should be a constant across the board, right? So you can still compare reviews of complexes relative to one another.

-in a complex with almost all positive reviews and employed at a company that gets more calls for compliments than complaints. :D

In other news... the women's fitted t-shirts at the campus B&N run small... like, smaller than American Apparel small. :oops:
I agree. The good ones are typically REALLY good (as long as the reviews are real lol). Some of the poorly rated ones are actually great with a few very vocal critics. It's funny because a lot of negative reviews are people complaining because of something that was their fault or a simple misunderstanding.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:01 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I agree. The good ones are typically REALLY good (as long as the reviews are real lol). Some of the poorly rated ones are actually great with a few very vocal critics. It's funny because a lot of negative reviews are people complaining because of something that was their fault or a simple misunderstanding.
Yeah, that's true. I do try to read critically, and I also try to take note if the last bad review was 2 years ago and the property has since changed management, etc.

RTS83

New

Post by RTS83 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:42 am

Lwoods wrote:
So do the men's lol. Its good gym motivation! Hottest incoming class ever?

Splintor49

New

Post by Splintor49 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:07 am

charcop wrote:
dans1006 wrote:
dans1006 wrote:Roger that. Calling....
Called and found out that they are just now assigning my application for review today. ... and ... withdraw.
Ugh I would be so pissed. Sorry dans! :|

I just called as well. Said they are trying to get the bulk of their decisions out in the next 1-2 weeks. Well hey admissions committee, that isn't very helpful when 90% of seat deposits from other schools will be either passed or quickly approaching by then!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kswiss1114

New

Post by kswiss1114 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:34 am

In today! Applied sorta late, so happy they got to me... hope this means a new wave is coming out and you guys get news soon!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:37 am

kswiss1114 wrote:In today! Applied sorta late, so happy they got to me... hope this means a new wave is coming out and you guys get news soon!
Congrats!

trayball23

Bronze

Post by trayball23 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:33 pm

any chance of a second round of schollys coming out?

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Splintor49 wrote:
charcop wrote:
dans1006 wrote:
dans1006 wrote:Roger that. Calling....
Called and found out that they are just now assigning my application for review today. ... and ... withdraw.
Ugh I would be so pissed. Sorry dans! :|

I just called as well. Said they are trying to get the bulk of their decisions out in the next 1-2 weeks. Well hey admissions committee, that isn't very helpful when 90% of seat deposits from other schools will be either passed or quickly approaching by then!
Yeah... It's ridiculous. I'm dropping my seat deposit at UC tomorrow during a campus visit. OSU has been a huge disappointment to me. It was at the top of my list after visiting but I feel so slighted by them that I don't think I'd go there even if they offered me a better deal than UC. If i did i'd feel like I was going to prom with the hot girl who blew me off for months and only asked me to the dance after all the guys she liked better turned her down. I feel like I'm better than that. UC has had great communication throughout and OSU isn't that much better of a school. UC has a lot of advantages too with their smaller overall class size and, from what I see, more affordable housing options. But then again, I may just be talking myself into liking the girl who liked me.
If you're dead set on OSU, best of luck but if you have other deadlines approaching, I'd call your second and third choices and ask for an extra week before they auto withdraw you. OSU told me they'd post a decision NLT April 15th. But then again, they said they'd have a decision for us in 6-8 weeks so they may be til the end of May before they get their final round of admissions out. Who knows?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TigerBall56

New

Post by TigerBall56 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:11 am

Has anyone had any communication with OSU about when we will be receiving our financial aid information?

They have had my FAFSA since early January and with the seat deposits being due soon I would certainly like to see those details before I send that in.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:24 am

TigerBall56 wrote:Has anyone had any communication with OSU about when we will be receiving our financial aid information?

They have had my FAFSA since early January and with the seat deposits being due soon I would certainly like to see those details before I send that in.
They have to get it from the main university. Since it's the biggest freakin school in the country (okay, 13th biggest), it might take a while. :evil:

Last week I was told they were expecting the information from the university next (so this) week. The e-mail may have closed with an ellipsis...

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:05 am

trayball23 wrote:any chance of a second round of schollys coming out?
I hope so.. My application sat in "limbo" for about a month because an email forwarded through admissions didn't get to the right person (or something), and when I called them about my app and they properly forwarded it, I was immediately admitted. I'll be really bummed if a clerical error on OSU's part keeps me from receiving any scholarship money.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:15 pm

The seat deposit information does come in the mail, right? I'm just a little uneasy because I want to get that sent in and taken care of.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:16 pm

charlesxavier wrote:The seat deposit information does come in the mail, right? I'm just a little uneasy because I want to get that sent in and taken care of.
Yes. I believe it came within a week of the email acceptance. Small envelope.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:31 pm

Lwoods wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:The seat deposit information does come in the mail, right? I'm just a little uneasy because I want to get that sent in and taken care of.
Yes. I believe it came within a week of the email acceptance. Small envelope.
Okay, thanks. I guess I will talk to them tomorrow if it doesn't come today. I was told according to my account it was mailed out early last week, but I received the admitted students guide yesterday so I hope they didn't think that is what I was asking about.

trayball23

Bronze

Post by trayball23 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:29 am

has anyone got their need based financial aid yet?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:49 am

trayball23 wrote:has anyone got their need based financial aid yet?
Nope. I'm super impatient now that I've told my work I'm leaving and turned down my other offers. Don't leave me unemployed & school-less, OSU!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”