Ohio State 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
buchy2009

Bronze

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Post by buchy2009 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:41 pm

At the ASW today they said that they haven't gotten (many?) need-based grants distributed yet. They will just alter people's financial aid packages if you receive. Also, they said that the need-based grants won't be very substantial.

trayball23

Bronze

Post by trayball23 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:43 pm

if you never set up a password how do you sign on this thing my initial pass and number wont work

2014jd

New

Post by 2014jd » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:02 am

lifestooquick wrote:
2014jd wrote:Anyone going to the admitted student tailgate/ spring football game?
My husband and I will be there :)

Great! See you both there

txsunshine

Bronze

Post by txsunshine » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:07 pm

trayball23 wrote:if you never set up a password how do you sign on this thing my initial pass and number wont work
I had to call tech support. They assigned me a new temporary password and I was able to access everything from that point on.

Jspain

New

Post by Jspain » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:58 pm

Hey all, sorry to switch up thread topics but does anyone have any legit information about how difficult it would be to get into central Ohio's market with a degree from IU - Bloomington? I live in Dublin now and would ideally love to stay but I but have a much more generous scholarship offer from IU-B than from OSU :(

Thanks for the input! Congrats to everyone who will be attending OSU this fall!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

txsunshine

Bronze

Post by txsunshine » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:46 pm

Accepted today via email! :D

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:13 pm

txsunshine wrote:Accepted today via email! :D
Congrats!

txsunshine

Bronze

Post by txsunshine » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:15 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Congrats!
Thanks! I'm guessing any scholarship information will come in the snail mail packet? Now I have to decide between SMU & OSU. Eeeek.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:17 pm

txsunshine wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
Congrats!
Thanks! I'm guessing any scholarship information will come in the snail mail packet? Now I have to decide between SMU & OSU. Eeeek.
Congrats! Scholly info so far has come via email :) It's in a separate email than your admissions decision though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:04 pm

txsunshine wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
Congrats!
FWIW I was admitted the very beginning of April and it took exactly two weeks to receive a scholarship offer.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:40 am

Anyone in the Cbus area know of a good place to get a cheap used bike??

2014jd

New

Post by 2014jd » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:49 am

Jspain wrote:Hey all, sorry to switch up thread topics but does anyone have any legit information about how difficult it would be to get into central Ohio's market with a degree from IU - Bloomington? I live in Dublin now and would ideally love to stay but I but have a much more generous scholarship offer from IU-B than from OSU :(

Hey there, I'm in the exact same situation you are (same city and everything). FWIW, a couple of things sold me on OSU vs IU: I visited bloomington and quickly realized it was too small of a place for me to be happy for three years. Also, I do think it will require some extra leg-work to get back to Ohio from IU.

There just aren't as many Ohio firms recruiting from IU and the ones that are, I'm not sure how they will view an IU grad in relation to an OSU grad. I talked to a partner at a Cincy law firm while I was visiting IU and he said they don't look any differently at you because you chose IU over OSU, but obviously he was a little biased because he went to IU. Which brings up another point, I think in Ohio you will have more hiring partners that graduated from OSU and will therefore be more likely to hire OSU grads.

In case you haven't seen this, here are some stats about where IU grads go. Only 2 to Ohio for 2009. http://apps.law.indiana.edu/careers/where-are-they-now/

charcop

New

Post by charcop » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:21 pm

gens1tb wrote:I'm mid alphabet, and I have finaid data now.
My last name starts with a "T" and I have finaid data now. Has anyone been awarded need based grants yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TigerBall56

New

Post by TigerBall56 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:34 pm

charcop wrote:
gens1tb wrote:I'm mid alphabet, and I have finaid data now.
My last name starts with a "T" and I have finaid data now. Has anyone been awarded need based grants yet?
I contacted Marc in financial aid and he said that they have not released any need based grants yet and he did not know when exactly they might come over from OSU's main financial aid office. If you do receive one it will appear in your student account but you will not receive a message notifying you of whether or not you were awarded. "It could be anytime between now and Summer" was the general message.

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:10 pm

2014jd wrote:
Jspain wrote:Hey all, sorry to switch up thread topics but does anyone have any legit information about how difficult it would be to get into central Ohio's market with a degree from IU - Bloomington? I live in Dublin now and would ideally love to stay but I but have a much more generous scholarship offer from IU-B than from OSU :(

Hey there, I'm in the exact same situation you are (same city and everything). FWIW, a couple of things sold me on OSU vs IU: I visited bloomington and quickly realized it was too small of a place for me to be happy for three years. Also, I do think it will require some extra leg-work to get back to Ohio from IU.

There just aren't as many Ohio firms recruiting from IU and the ones that are, I'm not sure how they will view an IU grad in relation to an OSU grad. I talked to a partner at a Cincy law firm while I was visiting IU and he said they don't look any differently at you because you chose IU over OSU, but obviously he was a little biased because he went to IU. Which brings up another point, I think in Ohio you will have more hiring partners that graduated from OSU and will therefore be more likely to hire OSU grads.

In case you haven't seen this, here are some stats about where IU grads go. Only 2 to Ohio for 2009. http://apps.law.indiana.edu/careers/where-are-they-now/
My dad's super pushing the live at home in Dublin thing... that's a drive every day, though!

RTS83

New

Post by RTS83 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:10 am

I don't have any need based grants yet, but I do have the summation of my financial aid (including scholarships) ready to accept on buckeyelink. Could be a good sign that they are getting it all organized?

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:23 am

This is super dorky of me, but I'm excited. I just noticed that they updated the courses sections of the website to 2011-2012. It lists everyone teaching our 1L courses, so I'm checking out the potential profs. Looks like CivPro and CrimLaw are our small section classes.

http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/academics/cour ... esc=all500

Lwoods - I hope you get the section that gets Davidoff for Contracts :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:49 am

lifestooquick wrote:This is super dorky of me, but I'm excited. I just noticed that they updated the courses sections of the website to 2011-2012. It lists everyone teaching our 1L courses, so I'm checking out the potential profs. Looks like CivPro and CrimLaw are our small section classes.

http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/academics/cour ... esc=all500

Lwoods - I hope you get the section that gets Davidoff for Contracts :)
omg, love it! And I hope I get him, too! Hahaha

/Davidoff fangirl

RTS83

New

Post by RTS83 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:44 pm

Who all has their deposit in and is preparing for the fall?

cj2k14

New

Post by cj2k14 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:49 pm

RTS83 wrote:Who all has their deposit in and is preparing for the fall?
mailed my deposit last week.. can't wait to move to columbus

RTS83

New

Post by RTS83 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:59 pm

cj2k14 wrote:
I put mine in around April but did not see it come out of my account. Turns out it did a few days after I mailed it but wow, scary!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:02 pm

cj2k14 wrote:
I mailed mine at the beginning of the month when I withdrew from the other schools, and I sent my transcript last week. Now I just hope my FAFSA situation gets resolved...

cj2k14

New

Post by cj2k14 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Lwoods wrote:
cj2k14 wrote:
I mailed mine at the beginning of the month when I withdrew from the other schools, and I sent my transcript last week. Now I just hope my FAFSA situation gets resolved...
nice call with the transcripts.. totally forgot about that. I know its not due for awhile but if I've already forgotten its not likely I'll remember in the future.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:52 am

I'm deposited and my transcript is sent :)

So I'm signed up for the Spring Game thing tomorrow...but honestly, if it's still raining like this, I'm not sure I really want to go :|

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:52 am

Us deposited people could always move over to the actual Ohio State 2014 thread...http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&start=25

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”