Ohio State 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Notor

Bronze

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Post by Notor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:42 pm

JPR0488 wrote:I know that OSU hasn't been too receptive to people attempting to negotiate for more scholarship money but I figure it can't hurt to try anyway...for those of you who tried, did you just send an e-mail with your other offers? Or is it better to snail mail/fax?
They will ignore you, so send an email, you won't waste a stamp that way.

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:45 pm

charlesxavier wrote:I have a couple of questions. Is ASW worth attending? I have already visited and had a tour of the law school, so are there any other significant benefits? Also, I see that accommodations are available only for Friday and/or Saturday and are for an admitted student and 1 guest. Did anyone bring a guest? If so, did they attend the event?
I thought ASW was enjoyable, but I was an OSU undergrad so it just gave me stuff to do before I went out for the night. If I actually had to travel and stay in a hotel and whatnot, it wouldn't have been worth it. You are just going to schmooze with faculty and admitted students, and the social events are really skewed to the 20-ish "right out of college" types (i.e. go to campus bar and drink).

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:19 pm

Notor wrote:
JPR0488 wrote:I know that OSU hasn't been too receptive to people attempting to negotiate for more scholarship money but I figure it can't hurt to try anyway...for those of you who tried, did you just send an e-mail with your other offers? Or is it better to snail mail/fax?
I got a response... 4 weeks after my initial email. :) It was still a no/not right now, but they won't necessarily ignore.

lawyeriA

New

Post by lawyeriA » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:49 pm

Does anyone know the details of reclassifying yourself as an Ohio resident for tuition purposes. I hear nearly every 2L and 3L does it. Is it really practically guaranteed?

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:29 am

Lwoods wrote:
Notor wrote:
I got a response... 4 weeks after my initial email. :) It was still a no/not right now, but they won't necessarily ignore.
They don't give more money

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:07 am

Looks like they finally got our admitted students website functioning!

Has anyone gotten their financial aid info yet (not scholly, but the letter for loans, etc)??

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:12 am

lifestooquick wrote:Looks like they finally got our admitted students website functioning!

Has anyone gotten their financial aid info yet (not scholly, but the letter for loans, etc)??
No, I was planning on emailing today. No time like the present! :D

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:49 pm

To follow-up... I e-mailed asking when we should expect financial aid packages and was told they have to work with the university on that. He hopes/expects to hear from them by next week. Soo... yeah. Boo. Stupid gigantic school.

JPR0488

New

Post by JPR0488 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:51 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Notor wrote:
Did you include your actual letters from other schools in your e-mail or did you just tell them what your other offers were? Debating whether I should scan my other scholarship letters & e-mail them too or if that's overkill.

I know it probably won't work...but you never know til you try right? :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:53 pm

JPR0488 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
Notor wrote:
Did you include your actual letters from other schools in your e-mail or did you just tell them what your other offers were? Debating whether I should scan my other scholarship letters & e-mail them too or if that's overkill.

I just told them what my offers were (significantly better scholarships from schools 10+ higher ranked), and said I could provide letters on demand. They said no anyways, and didn't ask to see anything.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:53 pm

JPR0488 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I didn't; I just told them what the other offers were. In retrospect, I wish I would have focused more on what I would contribute to the school and just mention that I have other offers as almost an afterthought.

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:56 pm

Lwoods wrote:
JPR0488 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I didn't; I just told them what the other offers were. In retrospect, I wish I would have focused more on what I would contribute to the school and just mention that I have other offers as almost an afterthought.
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to focus on more in my followup. I sent leadership and diversity statements to the school focusing on that, so I may attach those and paraphrase them as well.

JPR0488

New

Post by JPR0488 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:03 pm

Lwoods wrote:
JPR0488 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

That's a good idea. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawyeriA

New

Post by lawyeriA » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:56 pm

anyone know how i might be able to get into contact with an alum currently working in the chicago market. will the admissions office help me with that?

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:26 pm

How far in advance do you need to get living arrangements in Columbus, if you want to be relatively close to the campus

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:24 am

So today is 11 weeks under review and 2 weeks until I need to throw a seat deposit down somewhere. OSU is yet to acknowledge I exist. Should I take this as a tacit rejection?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:14 am

gens1tb wrote:How far in advance do you need to get living arrangements in Columbus, if you want to be relatively close to the campus
For Columbus in general, I've been told people tend to come looking for places 2 months in advance or immediately. I'm not sure if it's different closer to campus. You might look into a few places you like and see if they know anything about August yet.
dans1006 wrote:So today is 11 weeks under review and 2 weeks until I need to throw a seat deposit down somewhere. OSU is yet to acknowledge I exist. Should I take this as a tacit rejection?
Bastards. Call?

In other news, I'm sending my deposit in today. It's bittersweet. I'm excited to have some certainty, but I'm annoyed because I didn't really end up having a choice. And I really feel like OSU didn't try to court me at all while the other schools I got into did (personalized notes, scholarship offers beyond my numbers, etc). Makes me feel a little cheap. :oops:
BUT! I'm wearing scarlet & grey today in celebration of my decision. I do really like this city and the friends I've made here, so hopefully it'll turn out well. Plus the OSU TLSers are the best. ;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

2014jd

New

Post by 2014jd » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:55 am

gens1tb wrote:How far in advance do you need to get living arrangements in Columbus, if you want to be relatively close to the campus
When I was an undergrad we signed our lease in February. A lot of the places close to campus fill up fast and some don't. I would definitely start looking as soon as you're committed to OSU, but I don't think you need to rush that commitment because there will be some solid places still available.
dans1006 wrote:So today is 11 weeks under review and 2 weeks until I need to throw a seat deposit down somewhere. OSU is yet to acknowledge I exist. Should I take this as a tacit rejection?
Man I think you have to call either today or on Monday.
Lwoods wrote:
In other news, I'm sending my deposit in today.
Congrats and welcome!

2014jd

New

Post by 2014jd » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:51 am

Just sent in my seat deposit, and withdrew from other schools.

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:48 am

2014jd wrote:
When I was an undergrad we signed our lease in February. A lot of the places close to campus fill up fast and some don't. I would definitely start looking as soon as you're committed to OSU, but I don't think you need to rush that commitment because there will be some solid places still available.
I'm pretty much committed to OSU, but I won't be able to comfortably get to Columbus and actually look at places until the very end of April; but, if it was important to go earlier I'd try and get it done.

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:59 am

Roger that. Calling....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:03 pm

Well, I'm in the uncomfortable "twilight zone". OSU told me that they mailed my seat deposit information earlier this week, but it didn't arrive today. Today was the deadline to accept an offer from my only other top choice (Wake). I am set on OSU, but it is still uncomfortable being withdrawn from every other school and not having my seat deposit sent in.

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:27 pm

dans1006 wrote:Roger that. Calling....
Called and found out that they are just now assigning my application for review today. ... and ... withdraw.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:32 pm

dans1006 wrote:
Called and found out that they are just now assigning my application for review today. ... and ... withdraw.
bummer. :( Heading to Cinci?

charcop

New

Post by charcop » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:27 pm

dans1006 wrote:
Ugh I would be so pissed. Sorry dans! :|

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”