Ohio State 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lifestooquick

Silver

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Post by lifestooquick » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:37 am

It is possible to qualify for in-state tuition for 2L and 3L.

A buckeye is a nut from the buckeye tree - which is the state tree of Ohio. They're called buckeyes because they resemble a deer's eye.

There is a candy called a buckeye which is made of chocolate and peanut butter and looks like the nuts. They're delicious.

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:12 pm

hopefully by next week

pcvmeli

New

Post by pcvmeli » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:33 pm

There is a candy called a buckeye which is made of chocolate and peanut butter and looks like the nuts. They're delicious.[/quote]

YUMMY!!!! They are my absolute favorite! :lol:

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:59 am

pcvmeli wrote:There is a candy called a buckeye which is made of chocolate and peanut butter and looks like the nuts. They're delicious.
YUMMY!!!! They are my absolute favorite! :lol:[/quote]

So good! I'm originally from OH and my mom sends them to me in New York sometimes. They aren't too difficult to make either.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:38 pm

Well, I'm pretty much set on attending. I was a little nervous about picking Ohio State (most likely at sticker) over Wake (with $15k a year) but after visiting I fell in love. I went on a tour with a lady from the admissions office and she told me that if my wife is employed full time then I will automatically qualify for in state tuition. So, I will most likely only be paying out of state tuition for the first semester.

For anyone who hasn't ever visited: Columbus seems like a great city. I visited Cincinnati last year and they are like night and day. It seems very clean and on the up and up. The admissions counselor told me that while the economy was affected it didn't get hit as hard as other areas in Ohio and the Midwest because Columbus is more of a white collar town. I guess the fact that there aren't many factories is why it seems relatively clean for such a large city. The law school building is situated in a great location. It is on the corner of campus, is relatively easy to access, and is close to a recently updated/modern area with restaurants and such.

I did hear that Columbus snow removal is awful (anyone from Columbus care to comment?).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:15 pm

charlesxavier wrote:Well, I'm pretty much set on attending. I was a little nervous about picking Ohio State (most likely at sticker) over Wake (with $15k a year) but after visiting I fell in love. I went on a tour with a lady from the admissions office and she told me that if my wife is employed full time then I will automatically qualify for in state tuition. So, I will most likely only be paying out of state tuition for the first semester.

For anyone who hasn't ever visited: Columbus seems like a great city. I visited Cincinnati last year and they are like night and day. It seems very clean and on the up and up. The admissions counselor told me that while the economy was affected it didn't get hit as hard as other areas in Ohio and the Midwest because Columbus is more of a white collar town. I guess the fact that there aren't many factories is why it seems relatively clean for such a large city. The law school building is situated in a great location. It is on the corner of campus, is relatively easy to access, and is close to a recently updated/modern area with restaurants and such.

I did hear that Columbus snow removal is awful (anyone from Columbus care to comment?).
Congrats! What does your wife do/want to do? If she's in business/fashion, let me know.

I only had trouble with snow the day of. It was horrible...but I also hate driving in general.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:46 pm

Lwoods wrote: Congrats! What does your wife do/want to do? If she's in business/fashion, let me know.

I only had trouble with snow the day of. It was horrible...but I also hate driving in general.
She is graduating from nursing school in August. One of the main reasons I am deciding on OSU over Wake Forest is because it should be pretty easy for her to find a job in Columbus. Thanks for the offer, though. I have no experience with snow at all...so it should be a "fun" experience.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:50 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
Lwoods wrote: Congrats! What does your wife do/want to do? If she's in business/fashion, let me know.

She is graduating from nursing school in August. One of the main reasons I am deciding on OSU over Wake Forest is because it should be pretty easy for her to find a job in Columbus. Thanks for the offer, though. I have no experience with snow at all...so it should be a "fun" experience.
Ah, well, my husband is a doctor, so... yeah, lots of great hospitals around, too! :)

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:55 pm

I have a couple of questions. Is ASW worth attending? I have already visited and had a tour of the law school, so are there any other significant benefits? Also, I see that accommodations are available only for Friday and/or Saturday and are for an admitted student and 1 guest. Did anyone bring a guest? If so, did they attend the event?

My wife's aunt lives in Columbus, so if bringing spouses/guests to the event is frowned upon I will probably just see if she can give her a tour. She's a retired Columbus police officer so she knows the good and the bad parts of town.
Last edited by charlesxavier on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cj2k14

New

Post by cj2k14 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:16 pm

charlesxavier wrote:I have a couple of questions. Is ASW worth attending? I have already visited and had a tour of the law school, so are there any other significant benefits? Also, I see that accommodations are available only for Friday and/or Saturday and are for an admitted student and 1 guest. Did anyone bring a guest? If so, did they attend the event?

My wife's aunt lives in Columbus, so if bringing spouses/guests to the event is frowned upon I will probably just see if she can give her a tour. She's a retired Columbus Police department so she knows the good and the bad parts of town.
I thought the ASW was worth attending. Theres so much more than the law school tour. They have student panels and faculty panels that give you insight to the academics from both aspects. The info on housing was a bit lame, especially if you already have an idea of the area of have researched housing in the area. They have some good info on financial aid as well. I'd say its really your preference though. OSU is one of my top schools so I made the trip out to Columbus since I had never been before. I'm pretty sure the accommodations are available if you live outside of 40 miles from Columbus. Put us up at the Hilton Garden Inn which was nice. The hot tub was nice place to relax and ponder all the information they tossed at me all day. I brought my fiancée to the ASW and she had a good time. She was acceped to OSU for undergrad so the campus tour was good for her. She also wanted to participate in the ASW so she could see what my life will be like for the next few years. That said, quite a few people brought guests to the ASW I attended

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:21 pm

cj2k14 wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:I have a couple of questions. Is ASW worth attending? I have already visited and had a tour of the law school, so are there any other significant benefits? Also, I see that accommodations are available only for Friday and/or Saturday and are for an admitted student and 1 guest. Did anyone bring a guest? If so, did they attend the event?

My wife's aunt lives in Columbus, so if bringing spouses/guests to the event is frowned upon I will probably just see if she can give her a tour. She's a retired Columbus Police department so she knows the good and the bad parts of town.
I thought the ASW was worth attending. Theres so much more than the law school tour. They have student panels and faculty panels that give you insight to the academics from both aspects. The info on housing was a bit lame, especially if you already have an idea of the area of have researched housing in the area. They have some good info on financial aid as well. I'd say its really your preference though. OSU is one of my top schools so I made the trip out to Columbus since I had never been before. I'm pretty sure the accommodations are available if you live outside of 40 miles from Columbus. Put us up at the Hilton Garden Inn which was nice. The hot tub was nice place to relax and ponder all the information they tossed at me all day. I brought my fiancée to the ASW and she had a good time. She was acceped to OSU for undergrad so the campus tour was good for her. She also wanted to participate in the ASW so she could see what my life will be like for the next few years. That said, quite a few people brought guests to the ASW I attended
Thanks for that info. Looking at the ASW registration site it seems that they are relatively open to bringing guests. I am set on attending OSU and it would be nice for my wife to be able to check it out as well.

2014jd

New

Post by 2014jd » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:42 pm

I brought my girlfriend to the Friday portion of the event, but not the Saturday portion, which I believe was a good decision. I say that because my gf would have been pretty bored during the Saturday portion. However, we live close by so whether it was worth the trip was not as much of a consideration for us. With that being said, I think the ASW is worth it if you have any questions whatsoever about law school or Moritz because they give you ample opportunity to have any question answered by a variety of people.

JPR0488

New

Post by JPR0488 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:08 am

I know that OSU hasn't been too receptive to people attempting to negotiate for more scholarship money but I figure it can't hurt to try anyway...for those of you who tried, did you just send an e-mail with your other offers? Or is it better to snail mail/fax?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:58 am

Was there some sort of deadline recently for stating you are still interested in OSU that I completely missed? I just got an email saying they're sorry that I withdrew and would I please take a survey about why I did.

I haven't withdrawn. I really hope they can reverse this to the previous offer of admission.

pcvmeli

New

Post by pcvmeli » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:17 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:Was there some sort of deadline recently for stating you are still interested in OSU that I completely missed? I just got an email saying they're sorry that I withdrew and would I please take a survey about why I did.

I haven't withdrawn. I really hope they can reverse this to the previous offer of admission.
No deadlines yet, to accept the scholarships its April 1st and May 1st for deposits. Maybe send an email advising that you did not withdraw and are concerned about the mix-up. Or even call the office and let them know you are still interested.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:27 pm

"You will receive an email that contains your decision and will receive deposit information via traditional mail within 5-10 business days."
For those who were accepted is that time line about right? It has been about 10 business days and I still haven't received anything in the mail. I was hoping to send my seat deposit in soon and get everything taken care of.

kroger03

New

Post by kroger03 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:28 pm

Accepted on 3/28 after almost three months of waiting with a 3.5/163! I had basically given up hope and had pretty much decided on Pitt with 14,000/year, but getting accepted to OSU makes the decision a little more difficult. Could some Columbus residents chime in on good/bad areas of town, management companies to stay away from, etc. Thanks for all the help! I'm hoping a decent scholarship offer will help make my decision a little easier :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:45 pm

Would anyone who has received a finaid offer disclose how much they're allowing for "rent" (if it's not separate then room&board)?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 pm

kroger03 wrote:Accepted on 3/28 after almost three months of waiting with a 3.5/163! I had basically given up hope and had pretty much decided on Pitt with 14,000/year, but getting accepted to OSU makes the decision a little more difficult. Could some Columbus residents chime in on good/bad areas of town, management companies to stay away from, etc. Thanks for all the help! I'm hoping a decent scholarship offer will help make my decision a little easier :)
Congrats!

Good areas are (by proximity to law school...I think):
South Gateway
Harrison West
Victorian Village
Italian Village
Short North
Arena District
Grandview
Downtown (for the most part)
German Village
Brewery District

Bad areas:
Franklinton
Olde Towne (I actually kind of like this area, but it seems a little shady)
East of Parson's & South of Livingston
Whatever Cleveland & 5th is...

South Gateway apartments, while extremely close to the law school, seem like a pretty big rip off. The Quarry is less of a ripoff, but still a ripoff...and you'd be paying for a lot of stuff you might not have the chance to use while a busy law student. 60 Spring is a gorgeous building, but both people I know who have lived there have had complaints about the maintenance crew.

I used apartmentratings.com to narrow down my list before apartment hunting (I basically had one day to do so).

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:02 pm

Lwoods's list is great! Another great website to find places is http://www.metro-rentals.com

I wouldn't live in the super undergrad areas like Chittenden and other areas east of High St in the campus area, but that's just me. I'm sure plenty of people live there and like it just fine.

313D313

Bronze

Post by 313D313 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:23 pm

pcvmeli wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:Was there some sort of deadline recently for stating you are still interested in OSU that I completely missed? I just got an email saying they're sorry that I withdrew and would I please take a survey about why I did.

No deadlines yet, to accept the scholarships its April 1st and May 1st for deposits. Maybe send an email advising that you did not withdraw and are concerned about the mix-up. Or even call the office and let them know you are still interested.
I was not aware of the april 1st scholarship deadline. Where did you hear about it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:25 pm

313D313 wrote:
pcvmeli wrote:

I was not aware of the april 1st scholarship deadline. Where did you hear about it?
+1. I emailed them yesterday.

Looking for apartments now is hard. Most of the people I've talked to have no clue about when they're renting past April-May.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:26 pm

313D313 wrote:
pcvmeli wrote:

It was in the e-mail with the scholarship offer, at least in the case of the leadership scholarship.
To accept the Leadership Scholarship, please complete the following Scholarship Acceptance Form by April 1st of this year or seven days after the date of this e-mail if received after March 24th.

voltage88

Bronze

Post by voltage88 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:35 am

The scholarship acceptance form is not binding. The seat deposit deadline is still May 1st

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:03 am

voltage88 wrote:The scholarship acceptance form is not binding. The seat deposit deadline is still May 1st
Correct, but if you decline the scholarship, you're withdrawing altogether.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”