Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:21 pm

Anyone else out there?? Ohio State is my number one choice :) I know the app isn't up until Sept 15, but thought we could start a thread/support group!

User avatar
nphsbuckeye
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:06 am

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby nphsbuckeye » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:50 pm

Ohio State's my alma mater and unless I really, really bomb the LSAT in December, it'll probably be my #1 (unless, that is, of course, I annihilate the LSAT and then apply to T14s like Northwestern or Michigan).

Call me crazy, but I also want to get an MBA from Fisher, so I would like to be a triple Buckeye.

I suppose I can take questions regarding the university, including its football team, in general (I don't know anything of Moritz that can't be found within a few minutes of online research, unfortunately).

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:24 am

Nice to see someone else out there! :) I am not a student, but I do live in Columbus and my husband is a PhD student at Ohio State.

Just out of curiosity - why are you waiting until December to take the LSAT?

Do you want to do the MBA and JD concurrently or separately?

User avatar
nphsbuckeye
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:06 am

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby nphsbuckeye » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:38 am

lifestooquick wrote:Nice to see someone else out there! :) I am not a student, but I do live in Columbus and my husband is a PhD student at Ohio State.

Just out of curiosity - why are you waiting until December to take the LSAT?

Do you want to do the MBA and JD concurrently or separately?

I've only recently started to study of the LSAT and don't want to rush to take it in October. Although it's probably riskier to take it once, I believe I will do much better in December than October. I suppose preparation is the main point. I'm not sure how it may or may not look to have a 157ish in October and then a 167ish in December (maybe, maybe not; I don't have the most stellar UG record, so perhaps by taking it once and getting high score, the UG record is nullified that much more than if I take it twice with a decent and then really good score - but what do I know...). However, I still have time to register for October.

I'd like to get a joint degree - it would be cheaper and quicker that way. After I send out my apps, I'll start to study for the GMAT and try the old backdoor approach; however, I'd imagine getting into Moritz may be easier because of lack of "required" work experience than Fisher.

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:29 pm

nphsbuckeye wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:Nice to see someone else out there! :) I am not a student, but I do live in Columbus and my husband is a PhD student at Ohio State.

Just out of curiosity - why are you waiting until December to take the LSAT?

Do you want to do the MBA and JD concurrently or separately?

I've only recently started to study of the LSAT and don't want to rush to take it in October. Although it's probably riskier to take it once, I believe I will do much better in December than October. I suppose preparation is the main point. I'm not sure how it may or may not look to have a 157ish in October and then a 167ish in December (maybe, maybe not; I don't have the most stellar UG record, so perhaps by taking it once and getting high score, the UG record is nullified that much more than if I take it twice with a decent and then really good score - but what do I know...). However, I still have time to register for October.

I'd like to get a joint degree - it would be cheaper and quicker that way. After I send out my apps, I'll start to study for the GMAT and try the old backdoor approach; however, I'd imagine getting into Moritz may be easier because of lack of "required" work experience than Fisher.


I would definitely suggest thinking about the October LSAT if you're comfortable enough for it. If you have a not so stellar UG record (I'm in the same boat!) applying earlier is a big boost!

Good luck on the LSAT and with the dual-degree option!

User avatar
nphsbuckeye
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:06 am

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby nphsbuckeye » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Thanks, you too! Ohio State is definitely someplace I miss. As they say, you won't know what you had until you don't have it anymore.

In regard to the October LSAT, I feel like I've come a long way during the past week or so with LG (however, any person who's new to something, will see a tremendous increase at the beginning), but I don't think I'll be ready in only a month and a half. I'm at the point that I know why I did something wrong (I haven't studied for the other part much, other than general reading and an intro to logic type book). Yes, it may be stupid/silly/ill conceived/etc. for only December, but I'll be well studied.

Good luck on all your apps. It looks like we'll be applying to many of the same Big Ten schools(however, for Illinois and Minnesota, I probably won't apply unless I get a 167+, as that seems to be the cut off regardless of GPA, per LSN).

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:03 am

The tOSU app is now up on LSAC! :)

Now I just gotta get my butt in gear writing my personal statement and make sure my LOR writer sends it in ASAP and I'll be good. Hoping to hit submit in early October.

User avatar
mcubberly
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby mcubberly » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:59 pm

GO BUCKS!

I'm from Columbus (15 min from campus) and went out of state for undergrad. OSU is a sweet deal for Ohioans, and man, campus is great. And the football. Going to the one of the worst D1 UG schools, I have to find somewhere to watch OSU games on the Big Ten Network. Last time, I inadvertently went to a Michigan bar....the most awkward.

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:32 pm

I am also applying to OSU. I doubt I will get in without a lot better LSAT score in Oct...but it is worth it to apply.

User avatar
AVBucks4239
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby AVBucks4239 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:28 am

I also went to Ohio State for undergrad and it is in my top 2. The campus is great, the city is awesome, and the school is the best in the state for a very good price.

I finally completed the entire application process last night and turned it in. Wow, what a relief. My numbers are slightly below their medians, but I'm hoping a solid personal statement and good resume will make up for it.

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:15 am

AVBucks4239 wrote:I also went to Ohio State for undergrad and it is in my top 2. The campus is great, the city is awesome, and the school is the best in the state for a very good price.

I finally completed the entire application process last night and turned it in. Wow, what a relief. My numbers are slightly below their medians, but I'm hoping a solid personal statement and good resume will make up for it.


Congrats! I was hoping to submit my app this week...but I'm getting hung up on my personal statement :(

Good luck!

jeremychristiansen
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby jeremychristiansen » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:52 pm

I sent my application in on the first day they could be sent in. My status checker says "File Completed, Under Review." It has been like this since September 16th. Is it really under review or is that the default? Anyone know when they start giving out decisions?

User avatar
AVBucks4239
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby AVBucks4239 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:10 pm

jeremychristiansen wrote:I sent my application in on the first day they could be sent in. My status checker says "File Completed, Under Review." It has been like this since September 16th. Is it really under review or is that the default? Anyone know when they start giving out decisions?

I just applied Tuesday night and mine says the same thing.

Coming from experience (I went through an application cycle last year but chose to wait a year and save money), law schools don't gradually admit people. They do it by the dozens on one day. The time varies between schools, but you'll see a lot of people posting on here on the same day that they got in.

I would say the first "wave" of accepted applicants will come in 2-4 weeks.

khorejs
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby khorejs » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Having trouble deciding what is the best step to take. 158 LSAT, which sucks but unfortunately test taking anxiety causes a problem for me, and UG GPA of 3.69. I know I'm on the much lower percentile of LSAT scores for OSU but I'm trying to decide if taking the December LSAT is the best option. I don't know if I'll do much better and I don't want another poor score to influence some of the other schools I'm applying to. My adviser suggested sending in my application for ED because the earlier you apply the better your chances, and she thinks that a good GPA, LORs, and personal statement will offset my score, all of which I'm pretty confident in. Will schools who would accept you with your current stats still wait for the Dec LSAT score or will they send out acceptance letters based on your current application standing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've been in panic mood for a few days :(

User avatar
jwrash
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby jwrash » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:06 pm

khorejs wrote:Having trouble deciding what is the best step to take. 158 LSAT, which sucks but unfortunately test taking anxiety causes a problem for me, and UG GPA of 3.69. I know I'm on the much lower percentile of LSAT scores for OSU but I'm trying to decide if taking the December LSAT is the best option. I don't know if I'll do much better and I don't want another poor score to influence some of the other schools I'm applying to. My adviser suggested sending in my application for ED because the earlier you apply the better your chances, and she thinks that a good GPA, LORs, and personal statement will offset my score, all of which I'm pretty confident in. Will schools who would accept you with your current stats still wait for the Dec LSAT score or will they send out acceptance letters based on your current application standing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've been in panic mood for a few days :(

you can ask particular schools to hold your app until you get your December scores....although if you don't anticipate an improvement of at least 3 points it's probably better to just go with the score you have now for this cycle

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby Lwoods » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:37 am

jeremychristiansen wrote:I sent my application in on the first day they could be sent in. My status checker says "File Completed, Under Review." It has been like this since September 16th. Is it really under review or is that the default? Anyone know when they start giving out decisions?


I've been "Under Review" since 9/29... hopefully we'll hear soon?

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby TommyK » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:55 am

Just tagging this thread so I can keep an eye on it. I plan on applying once I get my LORs done and PS written.

splitter app here - 167/2.95. Any other splitter OSU hopefuls?

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:22 am

TommyK wrote:Just tagging this thread so I can keep an eye on it. I plan on applying once I get my LORs done and PS written.

splitter app here - 167/2.95. Any other splitter OSU hopefuls?


I'm with you at 164/3.28, hoping to get my app submitted in the next week :)

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:22 am

Lwoods wrote:
jeremychristiansen wrote:I sent my application in on the first day they could be sent in. My status checker says "File Completed, Under Review." It has been like this since September 16th. Is it really under review or is that the default? Anyone know when they start giving out decisions?


I've been "Under Review" since 9/29... hopefully we'll hear soon?


According to LSN, the earliest decisions to come out last year were on Nov 10. I think you super-early applicants should hear in the next couple weeks.

Good luck everyone!

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby TommyK » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:55 am

lifestooquick wrote:
TommyK wrote:Just tagging this thread so I can keep an eye on it. I plan on applying once I get my LORs done and PS written.

splitter app here - 167/2.95. Any other splitter OSU hopefuls?


I'm with you at 164/3.28, hoping to get my app submitted in the next week :)


Well, here's hoping OSU is splitter-friendly this year.

User avatar
Notor
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 am

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby Notor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:08 pm

khorejs wrote:Having trouble deciding what is the best step to take. 158 LSAT, which sucks but unfortunately test taking anxiety causes a problem for me, and UG GPA of 3.69. I know I'm on the much lower percentile of LSAT scores for OSU but I'm trying to decide if taking the December LSAT is the best option. I don't know if I'll do much better and I don't want another poor score to influence some of the other schools I'm applying to. My adviser suggested sending in my application for ED because the earlier you apply the better your chances, and she thinks that a good GPA, LORs, and personal statement will offset my score, all of which I'm pretty confident in. Will schools who would accept you with your current stats still wait for the Dec LSAT score or will they send out acceptance letters based on your current application standing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've been in panic mood for a few days :(

You need to retake. Medians for the 1L's this year were 3.66/163. You are marginally above the GPA and below the 25th percentile for LSAT. You need to retake, your chances of receiving an acceptance are incredibly slim. Applying ED may help, but you are basically agreeing to pay full price by doing so and I am still not sure if you will get in. OSU has been getting really nit-picky with the LSAT, my buddy applied with me last year during October and he had a 3.9+ and a 161 and they held his app until late February before finally accepting him. I had a lower but still above-median GPA and a 164 LSAT and was accepted in 10 days after my app went complete with $$$. It is totally a numbers game, and right now you aren't on the good side. You should definitely retake.

If you are afraid you will get a bad score in December, don't be. As far as I know schools aren't going to rescind an offer simply because you subsequently got a lower LSAT score after they already accepted you. Schools can report your highest score so they don't really care about the lower ones.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby TommyK » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:12 pm

Notor wrote:
khorejs wrote:Having trouble deciding what is the best step to take. 158 LSAT, which sucks but unfortunately test taking anxiety causes a problem for me, and UG GPA of 3.69. I know I'm on the much lower percentile of LSAT scores for OSU but I'm trying to decide if taking the December LSAT is the best option. I don't know if I'll do much better and I don't want another poor score to influence some of the other schools I'm applying to. My adviser suggested sending in my application for ED because the earlier you apply the better your chances, and she thinks that a good GPA, LORs, and personal statement will offset my score, all of which I'm pretty confident in. Will schools who would accept you with your current stats still wait for the Dec LSAT score or will they send out acceptance letters based on your current application standing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've been in panic mood for a few days :(

You need to retake. Medians for the 1L's this year were 3.66/163. You are marginally above the GPA and below the 25th percentile for LSAT. You need to retake, your chances of receiving an acceptance are incredibly slim. Applying ED may help, but you are basically agreeing to pay full price by doing so and I am still not sure if you will get in. OSU has been getting really nit-picky with the LSAT, my buddy applied with me last year during October and he had a 3.9+ and a 161 and they held his app until late February before finally accepting him. I had a lower but still above-median GPA and a 164 LSAT and was accepted in 10 days after my app went complete with $$$. It is totally a numbers game, and right now you aren't on the good side. You should definitely retake.

If you are afraid you will get a bad score in December, don't be. As far as I know schools aren't going to rescind an offer simply because you subsequently got a lower LSAT score after they already accepted you. Schools can report your highest score so they don't really care about the lower ones.


According to the OSU website, ED decisions do not booste your likelihood. They use the same standards and criteria by which to judge a candidate as normal timeline.

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:17 pm

I really can't decide if I should ED or not. I'm not sure if it will help me out with the sub-25th GPA problem but I also don't want to be completely out of the running for $$. Thoughts? 164/3.28

Oh, and I really don't want to go anywhere else. tOSU is my absolute first choice.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby TommyK » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:27 pm

lifestooquick wrote:I really can't decide if I should ED or not. I'm not sure if it will help me out with the sub-25th GPA problem but I also don't want to be completely out of the running for $$. Thoughts? 164/3.28

Oh, and I really don't want to go anywhere else. tOSU is my absolute first choice.


That guy TommyK said something insightful

TommyK wrote:According to the OSU website, ED decisions do not booste your likelihood. They use the same standards and criteria by which to judge a candidate as normal timeline.


No material benefit in ED-ing at OSU unless you need to know by a certain date. I wouldn't ED if I were you.

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State 2011 Applicants

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:37 pm

TommyK wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:I really can't decide if I should ED or not. I'm not sure if it will help me out with the sub-25th GPA problem but I also don't want to be completely out of the running for $$. Thoughts? 164/3.28

Oh, and I really don't want to go anywhere else. tOSU is my absolute first choice.


That guy TommyK said something insightful

TommyK wrote:According to the OSU website, ED decisions do not booste your likelihood. They use the same standards and criteria by which to judge a candidate as normal timeline.


No material benefit in ED-ing at OSU unless you need to know by a certain date. I wouldn't ED if I were you.


Yeah, this is the way I think I'm leaning. Thanks :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, a.sch, aaron1621, ad34964n, Baby Gaga, BigBear, BrittanyJeream, Google Adsense [Bot], jjcorvino, jtawil, notsolawful, Solidfood, Zoe107 and 35 guests