Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pless

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Pless » Tue May 10, 2011 11:10 am

Wait List offers will be coming out in a few minutes. 20 offers this week. We will have another round of offers next week, though I am not sure on how many at this point in time. Good luck, Paul

dadamafia

Postby dadamafia » Tue May 10, 2011 11:16 am

critter wrote:I put a lot of feeling into my LOCI and do not feel I can express any further how badly I want to be part of this class. I noticed they reviewed my file yesterday so its gonna be a tense day awaiting their decisions. All I can do for now is keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

I also noticed that the date on my file changed yesterday, but I think it was actually just an update following the survey that Dean Pless sent out. Of course, I may be wrong. All I can do is hope for the best and wait to see if I get any action on my end. I visited, and I think I've annoyed them enough with emails. :oops:

Good luck.

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:48 am

Last edited by columbia86 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

critter

Postby critter » Tue May 10, 2011 12:03 pm

I got accepted and paid my first deposit right away, they even waived the second one. I was so excited that I almost burst out with a little jig, but then remembered I cannot dance. I called my parents right after getting the email and did not even see they had given me a 10K a year scholarship. That plus my GI Bill should have my finances set and I do not even have to worry about submitting a FASFA. Good luck to everyone that is still looking to get in. Thank you so much Mr. Pless for giving me this once in a lifetime opportunity.
Last edited by critter on Tue May 10, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dadamafia

Postby dadamafia » Tue May 10, 2011 12:20 pm

critter wrote:I got accepted and paid my first deposit right away, they even waived the second one. I was so excited that I almost burst out with a little jig, but then remembered I cannot dance. I called my parents right after getting the email and did not even see they had given me a 10K a year scholarship. That plus my GI Bill should have my finances set and I do not even have to worry about submitting a FASFA. Good luck to everyone that is still looking to get in. Thank you so much Mr. Pless for giving me this once in a lifetime opportunity,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :o

It's great to hear that you got in and I hope I can join you in the future. Did you receive a call as well?

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Tue May 10, 2011 12:30 pm

critter wrote:I got accepted and paid my first deposit right away, they even waived the second one. I was so excited that I almost burst out with a little jig, but then remembered I cannot dance. I called my parents right after getting the email and did not even see they had given me a 10K a year scholarship. That plus my GI Bill should have my finances set and I do not even have to worry about submitting a FASFA. Good luck to everyone that is still looking to get in. Thank you so much Mr. Pless for giving me this once in a lifetime opportunity,

Congrats to you!!! When I was admitted earlier this year I also did not notice the scholarship before I called my parents. LOL.

critter

Postby critter » Tue May 10, 2011 1:16 pm

dadamafia wrote:
critter wrote:I got accepted and paid my first deposit right away, they even waived the second one. I was so excited that I almost burst out with a little jig, but then remembered I cannot dance. I called my parents right after getting the email and did not even see they had given me a 10K a year scholarship. That plus my GI Bill should have my finances set and I do not even have to worry about submitting a FASFA. Good luck to everyone that is still looking to get in. Thank you so much Mr. Pless for giving me this once in a lifetime opportunity.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :o

It's great to hear that you got in and I hope I can join you in the future. Did you receive a call as well?

I did not receive a call. Good luck on getting admitted:) Just relieved that this process is over and I do not have to make any further decisions regarding which law school to attend. I was unsure where I was going to go if Mr. Pless did not give me this opportunity.

bigben5289

Postby bigben5289 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Dean Pless,

Do you know how law students get football tickets?

Thanks

Pless

Postby Pless » Thu May 12, 2011 4:50 pm

bigben5289 wrote:Dean Pless,

Do you know how law students get football tickets?

Thanks

I don't know exact numbers. I have seen people getting them in blocks of 40 or 50 at a time though. I would say 30-40 percent of the students go to games.

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Thu May 12, 2011 7:41 pm

Hey Dean Pless,

I just wanted to see whether you can give me an idea of what orientation looks like (what days and what times we need to be there for). One of my best friends is actually getting married the Saturday before classes begin and I am just trying to figure out if there is any way I can make that while still being there for all the orientation events.

Thanks a lot.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri May 13, 2011 11:01 am

DreamsInDigital wrote:Hey Dean Pless,

I just wanted to see whether you can give me an idea of what orientation looks like (what days and what times we need to be there for). One of my best friends is actually getting married the Saturday before classes begin and I am just trying to figure out if there is any way I can make that while still being there for all the orientation events.

Thanks a lot.

Orientation begins on Wednesday August 17th. It is just Wednesday and Thursday. Friday has some optional events, but nothing mandatory. Classes begin on Monday the 22nd. You will have a fair amount of reading to do for that first day, but I have seen people do what you are planning before with no ill effect.

dadamafia

Postby dadamafia » Sun May 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Dean Pless,

After next week's round of offers, do you imagine that there will be any significant number of offers(greater than 5) being made leading up to the beginning of classes?

I was just curious to know if the expectation is to fill all remaining spots with applicants from these three rounds of offers and any future opportunities for Wait Listed applicants would be minimal beyond that.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon May 16, 2011 9:13 am

dadamafia wrote:Dean Pless,

After next week's round of offers, do you imagine that there will be any significant number of offers(greater than 5) being made leading up to the beginning of classes?

I was just curious to know if the expectation is to fill all remaining spots with applicants from these three rounds of offers and any future opportunities for Wait Listed applicants would be minimal beyond that.

I think after this weeks offers that there will certainly be more than 5 offers made before August. The might just come out in smaller batches. This week's round of offers will come out this afternoon.

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon May 16, 2011 10:47 am

You guys should know that today is when LSAC releases the names of applicants who have multiple deposits in at law schools. The record holder this year at Illinois is 5 schools.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Mon May 16, 2011 10:51 am

Pless wrote:You guys should know that today is when LSAC releases the names of applicants who have multiple deposits in at law schools. The record holder this year at Illinois is 5 schools.

Thank you for the info. Is this the preliminary report or does this one include names?

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon May 16, 2011 10:52 am

aliarrow wrote:
Pless wrote:You guys should know that today is when LSAC releases the names of applicants who have multiple deposits in at law schools. The record holder this year at Illinois is 5 schools.

Thank you for the info. Is this the preliminary report or does this one include names?

Names.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Mon May 16, 2011 10:57 am

Just a hypothetical but -

Is it unheard of for schools in scholarship negotiations with applicants to wait until after this list is provided in order to determine whether an applicant is seriously considering other schools?

dadamafia

Postby dadamafia » Mon May 16, 2011 11:55 am

Pless wrote:

I think after this weeks offers that there will certainly be more than 5 offers made before August. The might just come out in smaller batches. This week's round of offers will come out this afternoon.

Thank you. I am slightly more comfortable going forward with this information than I would be otherwise.

Best of luck to everyone out there hoping that today is the day.

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon May 16, 2011 12:21 pm

aliarrow wrote:Just a hypothetical but -

Is it unheard of for schools in scholarship negotiations with applicants to wait until after this list is provided in order to determine whether an applicant is seriously considering other schools?

I haven't heard of that. I think three years ago when this program started schools were concerned about other schools swooping in with big scholarship offers. To me that never made sense really. Applicants have no problem telling me what their other offers are well before this information is available.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 16, 2011 2:32 pm

Curious as to how many names are on the multiple deposit list this cycle. Also, does the list that you receive from LSAC include all multiple depositers regardless of law schools, or only those making multiple deposits including Illinois Law ? Thank you in advance for addressing this topic.

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon May 16, 2011 2:44 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Curious as to how many names are on the multiple deposit list this cycle. Also, does the list that you receive from LSAC include all multiple depositers regardless of law schools, or only those making multiple deposits including Illinois Law ? Thank you in advance for addressing this topic.

You only get the names of people who have paid a deposit at your school and another school.

dadamafia

Postby dadamafia » Mon May 16, 2011 3:10 pm

Dean Pless,

Thank you for making today one of the most memorable days of my life! I will be forever grateful for this grand opportunity, and I look forward to beginning classes in the fall. Thank you!

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Mon May 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Thank you for making today one of the most memorable days of my life! I will be forever grateful for this grand opportunity, and I look forward to beginning classes in the fall. Thank you!

Assuming this means WL offers came out?

bigben5289

Postby bigben5289 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:21 pm

Dean Pless,

Do you have an idea of what the schedule for orientation is going to look it? Is it all day, half a day on those 3 days? The move in date of one of the apartments I am looking at is the first day of orientation so I am trying to figure something out.

Thanks

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Mon May 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Congrats to you!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”