Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pless

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Pless » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:12 pm

CrimLaw300 wrote:Dean Pless,

Could you please comment on the difficulty of UIUC grads gaining employment in Texas? Houston in particular?

I am fairly set on attending in the Fall, but the potential difficulty of making my way back to Houston post-graduation is the main concern I have.

Thanks.

I think it is much easier to get a job in Texas if you have a Texas connection. We place a number of students there every year, but most of them have some existing connection. Are you attending our reception in Houston tomorrow night? You would get a chance to ask the alums there about their experiences.

HereIGoAgain

Postby HereIGoAgain » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:21 pm

Dean Pless,
I have a question about waitlists and LOCIs. In the case where a student has been waitlisted by several schools with no rejections or acceptances (and only waiting on a couple schools), is such a thing worth mentioning in LOCI? Would that help or hurt a candidate, or have no impact? I would be thrilled to attend any of the schools to which I applied, which included lower ranked schools as well, is why I only applied to a few, but it seems I underestimated the wild card in my history. My GPA is a little low but I am a few years out of undergrad, and UIUC might be looking for someone from my geographic location - is the decision basically going come down to whether someone from my state decides not to accept and it doesn't matter much what I do, or do I lay my heart out on the line. I have plans to visit the campus, but I won't be able to do so before the week of April 4th.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:47 pm

I wanted to let everyone know that decisions won't be coming out until Monday. I have been travelling all this week for our admitted student receptions in DC, NYC and Houston and I won't have a chance to run the emails. I apologize for the delay. I will try to get them out before 10 AM on Monday morning.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:52 pm

HereIGoAgain wrote:Dean Pless,
I have a question about waitlists and LOCIs. In the case where a student has been waitlisted by several schools with no rejections or acceptances (and only waiting on a couple schools), is such a thing worth mentioning in LOCI? Would that help or hurt a candidate, or have no impact? I would be thrilled to attend any of the schools to which I applied, which included lower ranked schools as well, is why I only applied to a few, but it seems I underestimated the wild card in my history. My GPA is a little low but I am a few years out of undergrad, and UIUC might be looking for someone from my geographic location - is the decision basically going come down to whether someone from my state decides not to accept and it doesn't matter much what I do, or do I lay my heart out on the line. I have plans to visit the campus, but I won't be able to do so before the week of April 4th.

I don't think I would say that you hadn't been admitted to any school yet. I would keep it focused on Illinois, why you think you are a good fit, why Illinois is the right choice for you. Geographic diversity is important but seldom is it quite as granular as you describe above. A host of factors come into play when making offers from the Wait List and only one of them is based on where you are from. I would encourage you to visit and I doubt that I will be making any WL offers before the 4th, though I will send out an update next week.

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:54 pm

Hooray, thanks Dean Pless. You have prolonged my dream 70ish hours.

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:30 pm

Spookyghost wrote:Hooray, thanks Dean Pless. You have prolonged my dream 70ish hours.

This.

HereIGoAgain

Postby HereIGoAgain » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Pless wrote:
HereIGoAgain wrote:Dean Pless,

I don't think I would say that you hadn't been admitted to any school yet. I would keep it focused on Illinois, why you think you are a good fit, why Illinois is the right choice for you. Geographic diversity is important but seldom is it quite as granular as you describe above. A host of factors come into play when making offers from the Wait List and only one of them is based on where you are from. I would encourage you to visit and I doubt that I will be making any WL offers before the 4th, though I will send out an update next week.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely be visiting!

jusdel1

Postby jusdel1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Hello Dean Pless,

I am a current UIUC undergrad double majoring in Spanish and Political Science. I've known about iLEAP ever since its inception about 2 or 3 years ago, and I KNOW that I want to stay at Illinois for law school. Technically, I am a sophomore (a junior in the fall), but it's my first year at UIUC. I am not a transfer student, but I came in with a lot of AP credit from high school to give me my current standing. As a result I plan to graduate a whole year early in 2013. I see no point in staying another year to take more classes if I can complete my coursework and supporting cousework for both my majors with honors, and avoid taking out another loan (I would already have so many loans from law school!)

I have two questions.

1. How would I be looked upon the other juniors who have two years of UIUC course work while I have only a year's worth? I can tell you my GPA is over a 3.9, and I am currently taking my 300's advanced coursework right now. My ACT was a 28, and I'm making my resume stronger when I start to apply for iLEAP in the Fall.

2. I plan to study abroad 2nd semester Spring 2012, and I understand that is the semester when they give in person interviews. How would this work if I do recieve an interview? Through Skype, Phone?

Thanks!

Pless

Postby Pless » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:14 pm

jusdel1 wrote:Hello Dean Pless,

I am a current UIUC undergrad double majoring in Spanish and Political Science. I've known about iLEAP ever since its inception about 2 or 3 years ago, and I KNOW that I want to stay at Illinois for law school. Technically, I am a sophomore (a junior in the fall), but it's my first year at UIUC. I am not a transfer student, but I came in with a lot of AP credit from high school to give me my current standing. As a result I plan to graduate a whole year early in 2013. I see no point in staying another year to take more classes if I can complete my coursework and supporting cousework for both my majors with honors, and avoid taking out another loan (I would already have so many loans from law school!)

I have two questions.

1. How would I be looked upon the other juniors who have two years of UIUC course work while I have only a year's worth? I can tell you my GPA is over a 3.9, and I am currently taking my 300's advanced coursework right now. My ACT was a 28, and I'm making my resume stronger when I start to apply for iLEAP in the Fall.

2. I plan to study abroad 2nd semester Spring 2012, and I understand that is the semester when they give in person interviews. How would this work if I do recieve an interview? Through Skype, Phone?

Thanks!

We have admitted students through iLEAP with similar circumstances. It leaves less room for any mediocre grades, but it doesn't sound like that is an issue. We conduct a number of interviews over the phone. I would encourage you to visit the law school this fall and make an appointment to meet with me.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:29 am

What happens when a student is denied a PLUS loan?

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:27 am

kk19131 wrote:What happens when a student is denied a PLUS loan?

We work with the student to assist them with the appeal process and try to assist with University loan programs.

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:44 am

Decisions will be coming out in a few minutes. 18 Admits, 52 Offers to the Wait List and 254 Denials. We have our final Admitted Student Open House this Friday, so no files will be moving into review this week. I will be sending out an update to everyone on the Wait List later this week. I will also be sending out our Cost of Attendance to all admitted students later this week as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions and good luck to everyone.
Paul

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:54 am

Dean Pless,

When will you begin re-reviewing wait-listed applications?

Thanks,

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:55 am

columbia86 wrote:Dean Pless,

Thanks,

Pless wrote:I will be sending out an update to everyone on the Wait List later this week.

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:03 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
columbia86 wrote:Dean Pless,

Thanks,

Pless wrote:I will be sending out an update to everyone on the Wait List later this week.

Thanks.

wdk3618

Postby wdk3618 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Dean Pless I know all law schools have them it seems but can you explain what the fees are in the COA email that you just sent out? How is it different then tuition and is that a set guaranteed amount or could that number change depending on factors? Thanks very much for answering all these questions.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:29 pm

wdk3618 wrote:Dean Pless I know all law schools have them it seems but can you explain what the fees are in the COA email that you just sent out? How is it different then tuition and is that a set guaranteed amount or could that number change depending on factors? Thanks very much for answering all these questions.

The fees are things like student health insurance, use of the rec center, student organization funding (which covers things like if you ever need to visit Student Legal or the Tenant's Union), etc. This page describes what all might be included (I don't think all of the ones listed are, but I could be wrong). Some of the fees can be waived - for example, I think you can opt out of the student insurance if you have your own, and you can opt out of the SORF fee, but then you lose access to the services it covers.
http://registrar.illinois.edu/financial/tuition_details.html#fees

So it is a set amount (for the year, at least) and won't change unless you opt out of things.

wdk3618

Postby wdk3618 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:54 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
wdk3618 wrote:Dean Pless I know all law schools have them it seems but can you explain what the fees are in the COA email that you just sent out? How is it different then tuition and is that a set guaranteed amount or could that number change depending on factors? Thanks very much for answering all these questions.

The fees are things like student health insurance, use of the rec center, student organization funding (which covers things like if you ever need to visit Student Legal or the Tenant's Union), etc. This page describes what all might be included (I don't think all of the ones listed are, but I could be wrong). Some of the fees can be waived - for example, I think you can opt out of the student insurance if you have your own, and you can opt out of the SORF fee, but then you lose access to the services it covers.
http://registrar.illinois.edu/financial/tuition_details.html#fees

So it is a set amount (for the year, at least) and won't change unless you opt out of things.

Thanks!

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:02 pm

Hey Dean Pless,

Once again, thanks for your amazing support during this process. I am looking forward to seeing the campus on Friday and hopefully allaying some of the fears I have regarding how small Champaign is.

In the email you just sent out you mention that the cost of a laptop is not included in the COA estimate. If we are in need of a computer, can we borrow extra money the first year to cover that cost?

Thanks a lot.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:23 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:In the email you just sent out you mention that the cost of a laptop is not included in the COA estimate. If we are in need of a computer, can we borrow extra money the first year to cover that cost?

Yep. You can just go to financial aid and fill out a form for it (you can probably fax it in if you're out-of-state). You'll need your UIN # (I got mine in May last year, so if you don't have it already, you should get it around then, I think - I'm guessing they time it to come after they've processed all the 2nd seat deposits).
--LinkRemoved--

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:31 am

NancyBotwin wrote:
DreamsInDigital wrote:In the email you just sent out you mention that the cost of a laptop is not included in the COA estimate. If we are in need of a computer, can we borrow extra money the first year to cover that cost?

Yep. You can just go to financial aid and fill out a form for it (you can probably fax it in if you're out-of-state). You'll need your UIN # (I got mine in May last year, so if you don't have it already, you should get it around then, I think - I'm guessing they time it to come after they've processed all the 2nd seat deposits).
--LinkRemoved--

Awesome, thank you.

Pless

Postby Pless » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:20 am

Who needs me when you have Nancy?

LaLeyDelMonte

Postby LaLeyDelMonte » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:23 am

Dean Pless,

Are there any classes or seminars available for students wanting to learn/improve legalese in other languages? I'm particularly interested in Spanish. Thanks!

Pless

Postby Pless » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:46 am

LaLeyDelMonte wrote:Dean Pless,

Are there any classes or seminars available for students wanting to learn/improve legalese in other languages? I'm particularly interested in Spanish. Thanks!

You may take Spanish (or any other language) classes while enrolled in the law school, during your second and third year. Additionally the University has a number of intensive language programs that are available for students at a limited cost. Finally, we have a number of LL.M. students at the College who are foreign trained attorneys and they will be in some of your upper level courses. Interacting with them offers an excellent opportunity to practice your language skills as well as expand your networking globally.

giantswin

Postby giantswin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:47 am

Dean Pless,

Is there a more detailed schedule available for this weekend's open house other than the event page here?

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1064607269

Thanks!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”