Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AKB23

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby AKB23 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:20 am

Dean Pless,

Thanks for answering our questions and keeping us updated. Do you allow applicants to sit in on a class at the law school, and if so, how could one go about doing so?

Thanks!

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:51 am

AKB23 wrote:Dean Pless,

Thanks for answering our questions and keeping us updated. Do you allow applicants to sit in on a class at the law school, and if so, how could one go about doing so?

Thanks!

Absolutely, we love to have visitors. Just call 217-244-6415 to schedule a visit.

Pless

Postby Pless » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:16 pm

New video about our Civil Litigation Clinic on YouTube. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Vbpd65puM

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:14 pm

The students at Illinois are clearly quite fortunate to have a leader like you, Dean Pless. You're taking the transparency bull by the horns.

I applied to Illinois earlier this week and I am anxiously awaiting any changes in my status checker.

I am curious, Dean Pless, how many military veterans have you enrolled in the past, and what, if any, role you think that plays in the admissions process? My GPA is above above 75th percentile, but my LSAT (162) is only just barely over the 25th, and I'm concerned that because of the heavy emphasis some folks who will not be named here on TLS that even with all of the unique and diverse experiences I can bring to the table for Illinois (and vice versa), that I'll be out of the running before the gates even lift. Would you say that the heavy emphasis on the LSAT (i.e., the "170+ or don't even bother" rhetoric) here on TLS is at all representative of the folks that read applications for Illinois?

Your comment back a couple of pages about having top 10% students with LSATs in the 150s would be seen by most as impossible, unless the applicants had "cured cancer" or won a Fulbright Scholarship. Indeed, one must spend only a few minutes on TLS and read a lot of "Unless your LSAT is >168, don't even bother with Top 20-30 schools", one can see how that viewpoint would be nurtured...

What are your thoughts on this, Dean Pless? Thank you very much for your time. I have to reiterate how grateful I am that you are here taking questions for us!

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:26 pm

What would you consider an early/on time/late application?

Thanks in advance.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Pless wrote:
theavrock wrote:Thanks for taking questions! I am sure I will have more as the process unfolds, but what does UIUC consider "early" in the app cycle to apply? The consensus on TLS seems to be before Thanksgiving. Would you agree with this?

I would agree. If you get your app in by Thanksgiving at Illinois you will be in the first third of applications reviewed, and that means your file will be initially reviewed at a time when we have plenty of seats available in the class. (Relatively speaking)

andedom

Postby andedom » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:26 pm

Wow, it's really cool that you created this thread, Dean Pless. Submitted my app last weekend. Can't wait to hear back from your department!

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:33 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:The students at Illinois are clearly quite fortunate to have a leader like you, Dean Pless. You're taking the transparency bull by the horns.

I applied to Illinois earlier this week and I am anxiously awaiting any changes in my status checker.

I am curious, Dean Pless, how many military veterans have you enrolled in the past, and what, if any, role you think that plays in the admissions process? My GPA is above above 75th percentile, but my LSAT (162) is only just barely over the 25th, and I'm concerned that because of the heavy emphasis some folks who will not be named here on TLS that even with all of the unique and diverse experiences I can bring to the table for Illinois (and vice versa), that I'll be out of the running before the gates even lift. Would you say that the heavy emphasis on the LSAT (i.e., the "170+ or don't even bother" rhetoric) here on TLS is at all representative of the folks that read applications for Illinois?

Your comment back a couple of pages about having top 10% students with LSATs in the 150s would be seen by most as impossible, unless the applicants had "cured cancer" or won a Fulbright Scholarship. Indeed, one must spend only a few minutes on TLS and read a lot of "Unless your LSAT is >168, don't even bother with Top 20-30 schools", one can see how that viewpoint would be nurtured...

What are your thoughts on this, Dean Pless? Thank you very much for your time. I have to reiterate how grateful I am that you are here taking questions for us!

I appreciate the kind words, but I merely run the admissions office, not the school. As for your question, we have quite a few veterans in our class every year. Being a state school, we are a natural fit for some veterans that have educational benefits due to their service. We feel that the leadership and discipline that one gets in the military can definitely translate to strong performance in law school and as an attorney. Last year our range of LSAT scores accepted into Illinois was 147-177. We read every file.

In your particular case, based on your numbers, I don't have any doubt that you could handle the work at Illinois. That is always the first question I ask. Now, I will probably have 600-800 applicants with very similar numbers to yours. I may have 20 seats in the class that are available in that range. The competition is tough. Who gets one of those 20 seats? Leaders. People who write well. People that will bring a unique perspective into our classrooms. People who we feel will understand the incredible opportunity that is being given to them and will make the absolute most of it.

I know when you look just at the statistics, it is daunting. That is one of the (many) reasons that we decided to waive our application fee. If you feel that Illinois may offer you what you are looking for, we want you to apply. The worst we can do is say no, and the vast majority of students denied at Illinois will go on to enroll at great schools. But we want the chance to get to know you a little bit better and to see if maybe you are the right fit for us, and give you the time to make sure we are the right fit for you.

I hope you do apply.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:34 am

whymeohgodno wrote:What would you consider an early/on time/late application?

Thanks in advance.

Early is any time before 10/31. On time is by the end of the year. Late(ish) is after January 1.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:04 pm

Pless wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:What would you consider an early/on time/late application?

Thanks in advance.

Early is any time before 10/31. On time is by the end of the year. Late(ish) is after January 1.

Thanks a ton!

1republic

Postby 1republic » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:29 pm

How bad is it to apply now with an Oct LSAT, but to retake in Dec and ask to wait to review my file until Dec scores come out. Would you recommend waiting until next cycle to apply early? Are the advantages much greater that way?

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:24 am

1republic wrote:How bad is it to apply now with an Oct LSAT, but to retake in Dec and ask to wait to review my file until Dec scores come out. Would you recommend waiting until next cycle to apply early? Are the advantages much greater that way?

At Illinois, if you have registered for a future LSAT we will not begin review of your file. The December LSAT isn't ideal, but it doesn't ruin your chances. About 30% of our class in the past few years have had December LSAT scores.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:01 am

Dean Pless,

First of all, thank you for making your times available to us. I submitted my app couple weeks ago and have gone completed. My questions are when do you and other admission officers start reading applications and how frequent are admission decisions released. Let say the time frame is between now and Christmas.

Thank Dean Pless.
Last edited by tea_drinker on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:27 am

How optional is the optional essay? How much does it hurt an applicant not to have included it? How much does it help?

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:37 am

tbldc2009 wrote:Dean Pless,

First of all, thank you for making your times available to us. I submitted my app couple weeks ago and have gone completed. My questions are when do you and other admission officers start reading applications and how frequent are admission decisions released. Let say the time frame is between now and Christmas.

Thank Dean Pless.

I am currently reading the Early Decision applications. I will begin review of the regular decision apps next week. Our process will run like it did last year. We will place files into review on a Friday and decisions will go out the following Friday, via email. Usually, the volume of decisions is a little low the first few weeks as we ramp up. After Thanksgiving we should be in full swing.

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:38 am

LeDique wrote:How optional is the optional essay? How much does it hurt an applicant not to have included it? How much does it help?

5,000 applications for 180-200 seats in the class. I am sure that I will admit people that don't write the optional essay, but I am also sure that the majority of those admitted will write it.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:42 am

Pless wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:Dean Pless,

Thank Dean Pless.

I am currently reading the Early Decision applications. I will begin review of the regular decision apps next week. Our process will run like it did last year. We will place files into review on a Friday and decisions will go out the following Friday, via email. Usually, the volume of decisions is a little low the first few weeks as we ramp up. After Thanksgiving we should be in full swing.

Thanks Dean Pless. Many of my friends are currently going to UIUC med school, and I hope to reunite with many of them next year.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:26 pm

Dean Pless,
I apologize if you have had a question very similar to this already. My question regards GPA addenda. If you considered a particular GPA addendum to be compelling, how would this change your view of one's GPA? I don't much mind outing myself, but for example I have ~3.3 and had a pretty awful medical condition for the first few years of my undergraduate studies (which included harsh treatments, lengthy hospital stays, etc). I have been in remission the past two years and have gotten almost straight A's since. How would a situation like this one impact your view of someones GPA? Thank you dearly for all of your answers.

Henchman21

Postby Henchman21 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Dean Pless,
Two questions:

1. Although it is still early in the cycle, have the number of applicants increased to the University of Illinois relative to last year?

2. As I was going through this thread I saw someone ask whether Illinois accepts diversity statements and you answered yes. My application is already complete and I was wondering if I could still add a diversity statement.

Thanks again for taking time to answer our questions.

BlueArtemis8

Postby BlueArtemis8 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi Dean Pless,

To echo everyone here - thank you for taking our questions, especially at such a busy time of the year! I noticed in the forum archives from last year that you sent out ED decisions on 11/20. Are you thinking about a similar timeframe for this year, or do the ED decisions follow the same Friday-to-Friday format that you describe earlier in this thread?

Thanks!

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:52 pm

Barbie wrote:Dean Pless,
I apologize if you have had a question very similar to this already. My question regards GPA addenda. If you considered a particular GPA addendum to be compelling, how would this change your view of one's GPA? I don't much mind outing myself, but for example I have ~3.3 and had a pretty awful medical condition for the first few years of my undergraduate studies (which included harsh treatments, lengthy hospital stays, etc). I have been in remission the past two years and have gotten almost straight A's since. How would a situation like this one impact your view of someones GPA? Thank you dearly for all of your answers.

Barbie,
In a case like yours, I would look at your grades after your medical condition has been under control as the true indicator of your ability. An addendum, that clearly and concisely states what was happening in your life when your GPA was lower, would be appropriate. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Paul

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Henchman21 wrote:Dean Pless,
Two questions:
1. Although it is still early in the cycle, have the number of applicants increased to the University of Illinois relative to last year?
2. As I was going through this thread I saw someone ask whether Illinois accepts diversity statements and you answered yes. My application is already complete and I was wondering if I could still add a diversity statement.
Thanks again for taking time to answer our questions.

1) We are right on line with where we were last year on application.
2) Certainly. Just email admissions@law.illinois.edu with the document you wish to include in your file.

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:54 pm

BlueArtemis8 wrote:Hi Dean Pless,

To echo everyone here - thank you for taking our questions, especially at such a busy time of the year! I noticed in the forum archives from last year that you sent out ED decisions on 11/20. Are you thinking about a similar timeframe for this year, or do the ED decisions follow the same Friday-to-Friday format that you describe earlier in this thread?

Thanks!

ED decisions will probably go out next week, and probably on Thursday. I will be travelling on Friday to the last LSAC forum of the season, in Houston.

BlueArtemis8

Postby BlueArtemis8 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Pless wrote:
BlueArtemis8 wrote:Hi Dean Pless,

Thanks!

ED decisions will probably go out next week, and probably on Thursday. I will be travelling on Friday to the last LSAC forum of the season, in Houston.

Thank you and enjoy Houston! The weather in south Texas is actually close to bearable this time of year...

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:20 pm

When are regular decision seat deposits due?

How much are they?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”