Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crossingforHYS

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi Dean Pless,

Quick question, I attended one of your Alumni events (thank you for hosting it, it was wonderful!) But I had one concern, a couple of the alumni I talked to stated that they dont communicate with each other out west and that they did not even meet each other until this event.

I loved everything about the school, but this one thing in particular bugged me a bit, and I was wondering if you can address it? and how your office is or is not working to change it?

Thank you!!

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:31 pm

Hey Dean Pless,

I attended your LA reception and just wanted to say thanks one more time. It was great meeting you, Dean Smith, and all the alums I had a chance to speak to. Everyone was very informative and helpful, answering every question I had. Your openness and the support you provide throughout the process are definitely helping me make my decision and I am looking forward to visiting the campus in April.

Pless

Postby Pless » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:02 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:Hi Dean Pless,

Quick question, I attended one of your Alumni events (thank you for hosting it, it was wonderful!) But I had one concern, a couple of the alumni I talked to stated that they dont communicate with each other out west and that they did not even meet each other until this event.

I loved everything about the school, but this one thing in particular bugged me a bit, and I was wondering if you can address it? and how your office is or is not working to change it?

Thank you!!

Hopefully you had the chance to talk to Jenny at the event. She is our new Alumni person and this is one of the projects she is working on. All day before the receptions she was meeting alums and working on setting up alumni groups in SF and LA. She will be working on this in other major markets as well, DC, NYC, Houston, etc.

Pless

Postby Pless » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:03 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:Hey Dean Pless,

I attended your LA reception and just wanted to say thanks one more time. It was great meeting you, Dean Smith, and all the alums I had a chance to speak to. Everyone was very informative and helpful, answering every question I had. Your openness and the support you provide throughout the process are definitely helping me make my decision and I am looking forward to visiting the campus in April.

Thanks! It was great to meet you and all of the other admitted students in person. I thought last night was a lot of fun and I hope that it provided you with more information for your decision.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi Dean Pless,

I was wondering if the employment/OCI/etc. information is coming to admitted students via email or regular mail...?

Thanks!

Also, I'm coming to visit next week and I can't wait!

LaLeyDelMonte

Postby LaLeyDelMonte » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Dean Pless,

I attended the Admitted Students Open House and was wondering if its possible to attend the Chicago Admitted Student Reception.

Thanks!

Pless

Postby Pless » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:23 pm

krad wrote:Hi Dean Pless,

I was wondering if the employment/OCI/etc. information is coming to admitted students via email or regular mail...?

Thanks!

Also, I'm coming to visit next week and I can't wait!

All will be via email.
Today will be the employment data. Next week OCI and some information on the additional people we have hired for the career service office.
Last edited by Pless on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pless

Postby Pless » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:24 pm

LaLeyDelMonte wrote:Dean Pless,

I attended the Admitted Students Open House and was wondering if its possible to attend the Chicago Admitted Student Reception.

Thanks!

Absolutely. Just register online through the admitted student page.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Pless wrote: All will be via email.
Today will be the employment data. Next week OCI and some information on the additional people we have hired for the career service office.

I will watch my email, thank you!

Pless

Postby Pless » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:49 pm

krad wrote:
Pless wrote: All will be via email.

I will watch my email, thank you!

Going out now. Please email me if you have any questions.

Pless

Postby Pless » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Someone emailed with a good question that I should have included in the email. The average salary for students going into private practice was $114,000 the average for PI/Govt was $48,000.

Believe it or not, we actually have a lot of students who come in to the school wanting to practice in the public arena and we manage not to corrupt them during their three years here. As a public school we feel this is a critical part of our mission. We have developed an array of public interest scholarships and our LRAP program to meet the needs of these students.

As I said in the email this is a critical part of the decision process. I encourage you to ask any questions you may have. I also encourage you to make sure that when you are comparing schools that you are comparing apples to apples.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi Dean Pless,

I realize you might not be able to answer this question, but my fiancé is wondering about employment prospects in the UC area. He is a little wary of moving so far away from home without knowing he'll have a job. Does the school have any resources to help spouses find jobs? Thanks again for all the information you give us!

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:45 pm

Hey--Any chance current students can get that email?

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:46 pm

Dean Pless,

Were you still planning on sending out an update this week to those on the waitlist?

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:55 am

blurbz wrote:Hey--Any chance current students can get that email?

On the other Illinois thread someone posted it in its entirety.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:56 am

bostonlawchick wrote:Hi Dean Pless,

I realize you might not be able to answer this question, but my fiancé is wondering about employment prospects in the UC area. He is a little wary of moving so far away from home without knowing he'll have a job. Does the school have any resources to help spouses find jobs? Thanks again for all the information you give us!

I am happy to help and provide some advice. Just email me with the specifics of what he is looking for.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:57 am

jayman6 wrote:Dean Pless,

Were you still planning on sending out an update this week to those on the waitlist?

Hopefully.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Decisions still coming out today?!

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:01 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:Decisions still coming out today?!

He said around 4...You've still got an hour to wait. Good luck!

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:02 pm

blurbz wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:Decisions still coming out today?!

He said around 4...You've still got an hour to wait. Good luck!

cool and thanks!

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Decisions coming out in a few minutes. 31 Admits, 34 WL Offers and 140 Denials. Good luck to everyone.

No decisions next week. We are doing iLEAP interviews all next week and that will take up most of my time. We will also be looking at the Wait List for the first time next week. I will send an update then, sorry I didn't get to an update this week.

For everyone admitted, next week I will be sending out additional information about Careers and also some exciting news about our scholarship program. We have an event in Chicago next week and I hope to see some of you there. The week of the 21st we will be in DC, NYC and Houston, and I hope to see some of you there as well. The LA and SF events were great and it was fun to meet some TLS'ers in person. Also, space is filling up for our April 1 Open House. You can register for any of these events through our Admitted Student page.

Have a great weekend!

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Dean Pless:

I'd like to do PI/government work somewhere in Chicago. Can you tell me how successful graduates are at landing such positions?

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:37 am

kk19131 wrote:Dean Pless:

I'd like to do PI/government work somewhere in Chicago. Can you tell me how successful graduates are at landing such positions?

That is a core strength in our program. We have a strong presence in public interest/government work and Chicago is our top markets.

mez06

Postby mez06 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:26 pm

Dean Pless,

Per the off-campus minority job fairs, can you state which ones UIUC's students have the ability to attend and interview?

In addition, are there any "general" interview programs that the school hosts in other states? Thanks for your response and I'll see you in April!

Perplexed Penguin

Postby Perplexed Penguin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Dean Pless,

Thank you for being so willing to answer questions here. I was accepted on Friday and wanted to know if there is a way for us new acceptances to acquire the employment data that other accepted students received last week?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”