Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pless

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Pless » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:35 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:This could very well be a dumb question:

How do I access the new admitted students website?

Access to the admitted student site should be going out this week.

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:37 am

Kinderby wrote:It looks gorgeous!

Dean Pless, is it possible to obtain scholarships during law school, if you don't start out with one?

It is. We have a number of scholarships and awards that are offered to current students every year. Some are based on performance, some are competitions. Last year over $250,000 in such awards were provided.

mss455

Postby mss455 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:02 pm

Dear Dean Pless:

My status checker says the following:

Current Status: Complete from LSAC
Current Status Date: 12/22/2010

Could you please kindly advise when I would possibly go in review and around when should I start expecting a decision? Thank you.

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:42 pm

Dean Pless,

I was WL a little over a month ago. I have a LOCI written but honestly cannot decide whether or not I should turn it in. I really have nothing new to report besides the fact that I would most likely attend, if admitted, and to reiterate how perfect the criminal law program is for me. I've also started studying some case books to give myself a jump on the first year, because I can't find a job worth taking right now. Would you suggest turning in a LOCI as simple as that? I don’t want to waste your time.

Thank you so much!

P.S. Would you take someone off of the WL who hasn't sent in any additional documents since being WL? Also, how many people are currently on the WL? Thanks again!

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:27 pm

mss455 wrote:Dear Dean Pless:

My status checker says the following:

Current Status: Complete from LSAC
Current Status Date: 12/22/2010

Could you please kindly advise when I would possibly go in review and around when should I start expecting a decision? Thank you.

When your application goes to complete - ready for review, you will have 2-3 weeks to go. When it says in review you will get an answer that Friday. I can't say for certain based on the information you have provided, but I would say less than 4 week.s

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:29 pm

Top14Hope wrote:Dean Pless,

I was WL a little over a month ago. I have a LOCI written but honestly cannot decide whether or not I should turn it in. I really have nothing new to report besides the fact that I would most likely attend, if admitted, and to reiterate how perfect the criminal law program is for me. I've also started studying some case books to give myself a jump on the first year, because I can't find a job worth taking right now. Would you suggest turning in a LOCI as simple as that? I don’t want to waste your time.

Thank you so much!

P.S. Would you take someone off of the WL who hasn't sent in any additional documents since being WL? Also, how many people are currently on the WL? Thanks again!

I would send it in. I have admitted people in the past that haven't provided any additional documents. There are approximately 200 people on our wait list currently.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi Dean Pless,

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I would like to come visit campus and I don't think that I can make it for either ASD/ASW due to work travel commitments. Would it be better to visit campus (sit in on a class, pop in the admissions office, tour, etc.) on a Monday or a Friday? Or, does it not really matter? Thanks in advance! I can't wait to come check it out and meet some Illini! :D

Thanks,
KRad

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:03 pm

krad wrote:Hi Dean Pless,

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I would like to come visit campus and I don't think that I can make it for either ASD/ASW due to work travel commitments. Would it be better to visit campus (sit in on a class, pop in the admissions office, tour, etc.) on a Monday or a Friday? Or, does it not really matter? Thanks in advance! I can't wait to come check it out and meet some Illini! :D

Thanks,
KRad

It doesn't matter too much. More going on at the College on Mondays, but not a huge difference. Look forward to your visit. Just call the office when you are ready to schedule.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:06 pm

Pless wrote:

Thank you so much!

I would send it in. I have admitted people in the past that haven't provided any additional documents. There are approximately 200 people on our wait list currently.

To hop on this, where is the best place to send this? To your email or the college?

Pless

Postby Pless » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:56 am

theavrock wrote:
Pless wrote:

Thank you so much!

To hop on this, where is the best place to send this? To your email or the college?

Either is fine. pless@law.illinois.edu or admissions@law.illinois.edu

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:26 pm

Dean Pless,

Is there any indication when the waitlist might be revisited? Is it safe to say that I'll have to wait until March or even later before hearing either way?

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:28 pm

jayman6 wrote:Dean Pless,

Is there any indication when the waitlist might be revisited? Is it safe to say that I'll have to wait until March or even later before hearing either way?

Right now I think early March is the first time I will look at the wait list. I want to try to get through the majority of applications for the first time before I go back and start taking second looks.

Bluben

Postby Bluben » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Pless, you rock. This speaks a lot and very well for Illinois. I am thoroughly impressed by your commitment to applicants. No questions for now, but thanks for being so helpful.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi Dean Pless,

Thank you so much for doing this! Before reading this thread I hadn't even considered going to Illinois (mostly for geographical reasons), but the school has definitely caught my eye now and I put my application in a few days ago. Not to get ahead of myself, but I was wondering when orientation begins next year, the academic calendar only lists the first date of instruction. Thanks again.

Pless

Postby Pless » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:02 am

bostonlawchick wrote:Hi Dean Pless,

Thank you so much for doing this! Before reading this thread I hadn't even considered going to Illinois (mostly for geographical reasons), but the school has definitely caught my eye now and I put my application in a few days ago. Not to get ahead of myself, but I was wondering when orientation begins next year, the academic calendar only lists the first date of instruction. Thanks again.

Orientation will begin the Wednesday before classes begin, August 17th.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:08 am

Decisions will be coming out in a few minutes. 34 Admits, 51 offers to the Wait List and 220 Deny. Good luck to everyone.

We will put the next batch of applications into review today. All files complete by January 20th. Decisions will come out on Friday February 4.

BBeauty

Postby BBeauty » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:15 am

Just got accepted, thank you Dean Pless!

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:15 am

Yay! Admitted, just got the email.

Thank you Dean Pless!

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:17 am

Congrats to you both!

cojsterling

Postby cojsterling » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:18 am

Last edited by cojsterling on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicole88

Postby nicole88 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:19 am

Hi Dean Pless,

I was just waitlisted in this batch of applicants. I tried to submit the survey indicating I'd like to be on the waitlist and it doesn't seem to be submitting. Is this survey down right now, or might there be another way to put my name on the waitlist?

Thank you!

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:21 am

Rejected. Damn.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:22 am

nicole88 wrote:Hi Dean Pless,

I was just waitlisted in this batch of applicants. I tried to submit the survey indicating I'd like to be on the waitlist and it doesn't seem to be submitting. Is this survey down right now, or might there be another way to put my name on the waitlist?

Thank you!

It is working for me. If after closing your browser and trying again it still doesn't work, you may email me directly. Sorry for the trouble.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:27 am

Pless wrote:

Thank you so much! I'm getting married August 12th, so if I'm accepted I'll have a tough choice... Illinois or a honeymoon (you guys would probably win).

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:29 am

bostonlawchick wrote:
Pless wrote:

Thank you so much! I'm getting married August 12th, so if I'm accepted I'll have a tough choice... Illinois or a honeymoon (you guys would probably win).

Winter break would be a perfect time for a honeymoon. :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”