Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gbpackerbacker

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:13 pm

KingRajesh wrote:I got in last week! :)

Thanks for the scholarship money!

Should my acceptance letter have come with a USB drive? I hear other people got them.

+1

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:18 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:

Should my acceptance letter have come with a USB drive? I hear other people got them.

+1

I'm not Dean Pless, but the USB drive came later, in a separate package. For me it came about a month after my acceptance email, but that month included their winter break.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:19 pm

Lwoods wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:

+1

I'm not Dean Pless, but the USB drive came later, in a separate package. For me it came about a month after my acceptance email, but that month included their winter break.

After their acceptance email or package? I already received both an email and package, but no USB.

Thanks!

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:23 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:

+1

After their acceptance email or package? I already received both an email and package, but no USB.

Thanks!

(1) Email

(2) ... acceptance package

(3) Little blue package with USB

... three separate communications.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:26 pm

kk19131 wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Thanks!

(1) Email

(2) ... acceptance package

(3) Little blue package with USB

... three separate communications.

Don't forget the annual report! I'm pretty sure the annual report was mailed separately from the acceptance letter, right?

Anyway, don't fret. The USB will come in its own shiny blue padded envelope.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:30 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Don't forget the annual report! I'm pretty sure the annual report was mailed separately from the acceptance letter, right?

The annual report came with the acceptance letter (at least for me).

super6

Postby super6 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:03 pm

Got in with 30k/year and got my slick USB drive. Anyone know if they're offering travel stipends to the ASW? Illinois is a long way from Florida and the closest off-campus open house is in Houston, I think.

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:06 pm

super6 wrote:Got in with 30k/year and got my slick USB drive. Anyone know if they're offering travel stipends to the ASW? Illinois is a long way from Florida and the closest off-campus open house is in Houston, I think.

I'm also not Dean Pless but I'm about 99% sure that Illinois unfortunately does not offer travel stipends for the ASW.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:24 pm

super6 wrote:Got in with 30k/year and got my slick USB drive. Anyone know if they're offering travel stipends to the ASW? Illinois is a long way from Florida and the closest off-campus open house is in Houston, I think.

I'm travelling from Florida up there next week. There are ways to make it cheap. I'm flying to a city 2 hours away because I got the flights for about 60 each way. I also got a hotel room right next to campus for @ 50 a night. Its not free, but I think if you are really considering a law school-- its not a bad price to pay to visit :)

KingRajesh

Postby KingRajesh » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:09 pm

kk19131 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

The annual report came with the acceptance letter (at least for me).

Same for me.

Got Email from Pless.

Then, acceptance Letter + Annual Report.

I guess the USB is coming soon?

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:02 pm

The website says they don't offer travel stipends, but maybe Dean Pless will say differently...

Pless

Postby Pless » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:17 pm

We don't offer travel stipends. We try to put every dollar into scholarships. The USB's get mailed out about a week after the acceptance email. The first USB didn't got out until January though, so early admits had a bit of a different schedule. (Same with the Annual Report)

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:43 am

Dean Pless,

I have been working full time while going to school, would you want/need a LOR from my office as well or would you prefer academic LORs only? Also, do you look negatively at an application where someone had to work full time through school and wasn't able to participate in any extracurriculars at their college?

Thanks!

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:53 pm

neeko wrote:Dean Pless,

I have been working full time while going to school, would you want/need a LOR from my office as well or would you prefer academic LORs only? Also, do you look negatively at an application where someone had to work full time through school and wasn't able to participate in any extracurriculars at their college?

Thanks!

I would like to see one from your work experience. I certainly understand that people need to work during undergrad, I did. I don't hold it against you at all. If you can successfully balance work with school it should translate well into the workload you will face in law school.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:55 pm

I apologize if this has already been posted, but does anyone know if Illinois' admissions office is open today?

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:57 pm

luckyme wrote:I apologize if this has already been posted, but does anyone know if Illinois' admissions office is open today?

We aren't.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:02 pm

Pless wrote:
luckyme wrote:I apologize if this has already been posted, but does anyone know if Illinois' admissions office is open today?

We aren't.

Thanks; I'll suspend hope for one more day.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:04 pm

What kind of information will be on the online survey?

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:08 pm

luckyme wrote:
Pless wrote:

We aren't.

Thanks; I'll suspend hope for one more day.

Decisions only come out on Friday. If your file status is currently "In review" you will get an answer on Friday around 10am CST.

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:10 pm

kk19131 wrote:What kind of information will be on the online survey?

Do you mean as part of our deposit structure? It will be pretty simple, asking you what level of commitment you have to Illinois as of April 1.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:21 pm

Pless wrote:
kk19131 wrote:What kind of information will be on the online survey?

Do you mean as part of our deposit structure? It will be pretty simple, asking you what level of commitment you have to Illinois as of April 1.

Yes, that's what I meant. I see it listed with the deposits and just wanted to know what it would be asking.

Thanks.

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:04 am

Dean Pless,

I want to join the chorus of posters thanking you for doing this. Illinois has worked its way up my list as I continue to hear more about the school. Two quick questions...

-The scholarship letter says it is renewable if we're in good academic standing. What does that entail? I'm sure this is covered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it.
-Finding time away from school to visit law schools will be difficult. I've looked at the possibility of doing a road trip over spring break to see a handful of schools at the same time. If our breaks coincide, will any offices be open? Would it be worth the trip?

Thank you so much!

giddybiscuit

Postby giddybiscuit » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:33 am

Hooray Hooray for the great transparency of Illinois' application reading schedule. I was pleased to see that I had a definite "decision date," which was a HUGE relief given the multiple waiting games I'm dealing with for other schools.

And thanks for the scholly offer.

Pless

Postby Pless » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:53 am

SisyphusHappy wrote:Dean Pless,

I want to join the chorus of posters thanking you for doing this. Illinois has worked its way up my list as I continue to hear more about the school. Two quick questions...

-The scholarship letter says it is renewable if we're in good academic standing. What does that entail? I'm sure this is covered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it.
-Finding time away from school to visit law schools will be difficult. I've looked at the possibility of doing a road trip over spring break to see a handful of schools at the same time. If our breaks coincide, will any offices be open? Would it be worth the trip?

Thank you so much!

Good academic standing is a 2.0 cumulative GPA. If you fall below this you have one semester to bring it back up. I have never had anyone lose a scholarship. We are open during Spring Break. Obviously classes aren't in session and I will be traveling for some of our off-campus events, but you can still visit the College and get a tour of the building.

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:02 pm

Dean Pless,

If someone applies ED to UIUC, do you offer them the same scholarship they would have gotten if they applied RD?

Thanks again!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”