Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:26 am

JenDarby wrote:^ I find a response at this hour extremely impressive, such dedication!
Good on ya, Dean Pless.

Prairie

Bronze

Post by Prairie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:06 am

Pless wrote:
Prairie wrote:Dean Pless,

I received the Illinois annual report in the mail last week. I was really looking forward to getting some employment stats/numbers. Can you give any more robust information than employment percentage? Such as, how many of your grads filled out employment surveys and are therefore represented in those statistics?

Thanks,
p
Early next year we will send out comprehensive employment data to all admitted students. The 2010 numbers don't get finalized until the end of February.
greatly appreciated!!!

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:13 am

Prairie wrote:
Pless wrote:

I received the Illinois annual report in the mail last week. I was really looking forward to getting some employment stats/numbers. Can you give any more robust information than employment percentage? Such as, how many of your grads filled out employment surveys and are therefore represented in those statistics?

Thanks,
p
Early next year we will send out comprehensive employment data to all admitted students. The 2010 numbers don't get finalized until the end of February.
greatly appreciated!!!
+1

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:12 pm

I really want to attend Illinois, but I can't possible graduate with $80,000 of debt and work in PI. :cry:

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:27 pm

Prairie wrote:
Pless wrote:

Thanks,
p
greatly appreciated!!!
I think it says volumes about both how awesome Dean Pless is and how frustrating everyone else is that when a question is answered here I'm really surprised and impressed with how useful and exact the answer is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WhatSarahSaid

Bronze

Post by WhatSarahSaid » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:52 pm

Dean Pless,

To echo the sentiments of hundreds of people on TLS, what you do around here is amazing and ought to be an example to other admissions offices. I'm not comfortable asking this question, but you've been so straightforward and willing to help applicants that I figure it's worth a shot.

Has anyone ever tried to negotiate for a scholarship that exceeded the cost of tuition (i.e., some kind of stipend for fees/books/rent)? Has Illinois ever given that kind of scholarship and/or would you ever consider it? Would in-state or out-of-state status affect the answer to this?

Obviously, a full-tuition scholarship is a tremendous thing, and I hope my question doesn't come off as an affront. Everything I know about the culture at Illinois, combined with your presence on these boards, has made me fall in love with your school, and financial concerns are going to play a huge role in my decision-making this cycle.

Thank you for your time, and thank you again for everything you do.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:23 pm

kk19131 wrote:I really want to attend Illinois, but I can't possible graduate with $80,000 of debt and work in PI. :cry:
Actually, you can. Through a combination of the CCRA and our LRAP it is very doable. I will talk about it at the Open Houses or if you visit, but I would be happy to have the conversation on the phone as well.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:30 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:Dean Pless,

To echo the sentiments of hundreds of people on TLS, what you do around here is amazing and ought to be an example to other admissions offices. I'm not comfortable asking this question, but you've been so straightforward and willing to help applicants that I figure it's worth a shot.

Has anyone ever tried to negotiate for a scholarship that exceeded the cost of tuition (i.e., some kind of stipend for fees/books/rent)? Has Illinois ever given that kind of scholarship and/or would you ever consider it? Would in-state or out-of-state status affect the answer to this?

Obviously, a full-tuition scholarship is a tremendous thing, and I hope my question doesn't come off as an affront. Everything I know about the culture at Illinois, combined with your presence on these boards, has made me fall in love with your school, and financial concerns are going to play a huge role in my decision-making this cycle.

Thank you for your time, and thank you again for everything you do.
Scholarship negotiation isn't about asking for more money. It is about comparing your other offers and trying to figure out what is the best option for you. We can have a conversation about if it is possible for Illinois to increase the offer and if it would be even in your best interest if we do. It is a little early for scholarship negotiation, I prefer to wait until you have all of your offers in hand and then have the conversation. Happy to talk about it, obviously in person not online.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Dean Pless,

Thank you again for taking questions on this site.

Is it possible to add a "Why Illinois?" essay after your application has been submitted? If so, what is the best way to do this? And does the applicant come across as unprofessional for not including it with their initial application?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:03 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Dean Pless,

Thank you again for taking questions on this site.

Is it possible to add a "Why Illinois?" essay after your application has been submitted? If so, what is the best way to do this? And does the applicant come across as unprofessional for not including it with their initial application?
It absolutely is ok. The best way is to just email it to admissions@law.illinois.edu. We will include it in your file. We won't hold it against you at all.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:41 pm

I got my packet in the mail today.

... and I just want to say thanks again!

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:51 am

Dean Pless,

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. I went under review on 12/17, and my LSAT is a few points below the median. My semester grades just came back and my GPA went from a 3.78 to a 3.81. I realize it's not a big difference, but I wondered if sending in semester grades would reach the committee in time and I also wonder if it would even make a difference. Your thoughts?

Thank you.

illinin

New

Post by illinin » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:34 am

Just FYI, if you want to chat unofficially about Illinois Law, I'm a current 1L. I'm happy to respond to private messages over winter break or meet over coffee if you come to visit the school. (I'm posting here for maximum visibility, but I'm not going to tie up this thread as you are very lucky to have Dean Pless answering your questions.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:38 am

To speak for all of TLS, Dean Pless is amazing and one of (or solely) the best Admissions Dean out there. Dean Pleass, thanks for doing such an excellent job conveying all that Illinois offers and addressing all of the questions on this thread. It is in honor to have you on TLS! Cheers,

Ken

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:35 am

Is tuition going to be raised for 2011-2012?

If so, does that mean that my scholarship will be, functionally, worth less in years 2 and 3 than it is now?

Prairie

Bronze

Post by Prairie » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:36 pm

kk19131 wrote:Is tuition going to be raised for 2011-2012?

If so, does that mean that my scholarship will be, functionally, worth less in years 2 and 3 than it is now?
i know you're not asking me, but my guess is yes. each year will likely be more expensive. unless a school publishes a schedule of their future costs, you SHOULD expect that tuition will go up.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:52 am

Prairie wrote:

i know you're not asking me, but my guess is yes. each year will likely be more expensive. unless a school publishes a schedule of their future costs, you SHOULD expect that tuition will go up.

Tuition was NOT raised from last year to this year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jck4487

Bronze

Post by jck4487 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:18 pm

Dean Pless,

What would you recommend wearing for a law school visit?

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:22 pm

jck4487 wrote:Dean Pless,

What would you recommend wearing for a law school visit?
Tuxedo.

Casual clothes are just fine.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:26 pm

Tuition will most likely go up, but the amount isn't for certain yet. The increase will most likely be a percentage in the low single digits. Tuition will go up less for current students. Scholarships are fixed, unless they are full tuition. The 33k and 40k scholarships are full tuition and will match any increases. Our scholarships are guaranteed for all three years, no minimum GPA requirements.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:28 pm

jayman6 wrote:Dean Pless,

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. I went under review on 12/17, and my LSAT is a few points below the median. My semester grades just came back and my GPA went from a 3.78 to a 3.81. I realize it's not a big difference, but I wondered if sending in semester grades would reach the committee in time and I also wonder if it would even make a difference. Your thoughts?

Thank you.
I would send an email to us and then send the new transcript to LSAC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

goingeast

New

Post by goingeast » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:56 pm

Tag

Tomorrow is the big day!

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:51 pm

Thank you for the USB....:)

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:27 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:Thank you for the USB....:)
+1 :D

anthropologieaddict

Bronze

Post by anthropologieaddict » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:38 pm

samfii wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:Thank you for the USB....:)
+1 :D
Yes, thank you! Love it!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”