Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Underground404

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Underground404 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:18 pm

krad wrote:So should we gather a quick list of who all will be anxiously awaiting the next batch on 1/7 along with me? Sorry if this is too much of a derailing, let me know and I'll move it.

I'm in that batch too. Let the ride begin.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:25 pm

Dean Pless,

I know at some law schools, 2Ls and 3Ls take on on-campus positions, such as RA positions. Do law students at Illinois ever take Graduate Assistant positions on campus?

Also, does UIUC Law have any rules regarding working during the school year in addition to the restrictions the ABA has in place?

Thanks!

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Hello all. I know you have all been holding your breath (not) for when I would come and tell ya'll my admissions result at UIUC (haha). I will tell you that I was in fact not granted admission. It is ok...it was expected. Anyways, I wanted to say a couple of things before I left:
1) It has been a pleasure to spend time with you all. I know each of you has worked really hard to get to the point where you are now (either applying or already receiving a decision from UIUC) and no matter the end result keep your ends up and I know you all will do very well wherever you all end up;
2) CONGRATULATIONS to all the recent and previous students who were admitted...again, I know you have all worked really hard and will make UIUC Class of 2014 extremely formidable and a great overall class;
3) I really wanted to not be disappointed with however this decision came out, mostly because I did not want to get my hopes up when I kind of knew what the end result was going to be, but I must say to all of you all's credit that having spent some time with you all both in this thread and others that I am a little disappointed that I will not be able to be in classes with you all. You all seem like great people and I do, again, wish you all the best of luck;
4) I wanted to leave a special note to a couple applicants here who I have had a special chance to talk with more than others--Le Magnifique (haha)- I know you will be successful wherever you end up choosing to go and I wish you the best of luck the rest of the cycle...I know how hard you have worked to get to this point and I am sure everything will turn out well for you; LWoods- I still have a shot to meet you at OSU, but obviously I am not counting on that either...good luck and I know you will choose a great school and receive a great education; BARBIE- I have seen how hard you have worked and how much you have put into this admission's cycle and honestly your hard work has almost inspired me...you deserve everything you have gotten and I know you will succeed immensely at UIUC...Congratulations and I mean that truly!

Finally, I wanted to send a brief note to Dean Pless. You sir should be very proud of how you have represented UIUC. I know you do not need any validation from me, nor do I think that you should really care what I think, but I honestly will say that because of you I will always hold UIUC in the highest esteem. The care and dedication you showed to all of us applicants is above and beyond what most other or any other admissions dean would care to show...and for that you should feel proud. I would also like to thank you, not because you denied me admission, but because I know the care with which you examined mine, and all others, files for admission...that alone makes the sting much less severe. Your hard work, dedication, and continued openness and honesty I am sure will continue to procure the best applicants for UIUC and will continue to allow UIUC to be amongst the top law schools in the country. Thank you for all the time and effort and I wish you and your school nothing but the best.

Good bye ya'll...and GOOD LUCK!

softsgalore

Postby softsgalore » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Dean Pless:

Thanks for the admit and the 25k/year!

Since you've said you won't be offended by people asking tougher questions than "So, Illinois Law: Great law school or THE GREATEST law school," here's one I want to ask.

One of my closest friends (he's also my mock trial co-captain and I wrote about his influence in my decision to attend law school after some difficult personal circumstances in my PS, in case you're wondering which app I am) is also applying this cycle. We are both excited by the Illinois Law emphasis on advocacy, as we are hoping to be part of advocacy competitions as a team during law school, and therefore would prefer to go to the same school.

However, we're worried about Illinois for one major reason: national reach. I'm sure you get tired of "in this economy" discussions as much as we do, but it's of course a huge consideration. Now, I know most folks from Illinois Law will choose to live in the Midwest, but how do job searchers fare a little further afield? I'm not talking biglaw -- I have less than zero interest in it, and it goes the same for my friend -- but ideally what we'd be looking for is a public interest position, and we know we may have to cast a wide net for it right now. In all honesty, given the fact that Illinois Law is, in my opinion, an underranked school (not trying to kiss up, but no YP means your numbers are actually artificially low) and that it's incredibly cheap to live in Chambana, I would LOVE to attend Illinois. The jobs thing is my only sticking point, so if you can ease my mind I'd be appreciative.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:GOOD LUCK!

To you as well. I am sure you will get accepted to a great law school.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:02 pm

softsgalore wrote:Dean Pless:

Thanks for the admit and the 25k/year!

Since you've said you won't be offended by people asking tougher questions than "So, Illinois Law: Great law school or THE GREATEST law school," here's one I want to ask.

One of my closest friends (he's also my mock trial co-captain and I wrote about his influence in my decision to attend law school after some difficult personal circumstances in my PS, in case you're wondering which app I am) is also applying this cycle. We are both excited by the Illinois Law emphasis on advocacy, as we are hoping to be part of advocacy competitions as a team during law school, and therefore would prefer to go to the same school.

However, we're worried about Illinois for one major reason: national reach. I'm sure you get tired of "in this economy" discussions as much as we do, but it's of course a huge consideration. Now, I know most folks from Illinois Law will choose to live in the Midwest, but how do job searchers fare a little further afield? I'm not talking biglaw -- I have less than zero interest in it, and it goes the same for my friend -- but ideally what we'd be looking for is a public interest position, and we know we may have to cast a wide net for it right now. In all honesty, given the fact that Illinois Law is, in my opinion, an underranked school (not trying to kiss up, but no YP means your numbers are actually artificially low) and that it's incredibly cheap to live in Chambana, I would LOVE to attend Illinois. The jobs thing is my only sticking point, so if you can ease my mind I'd be appreciative.

+1

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:18 pm

From the e-mail: "Please excuse the informality of being notified via email, but I wanted to make sure that you knew as soon as possible."

God, I wish every school did this.

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:07 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:-Le Magnifique (haha)- I know you will be successful wherever you end up choosing to go and I wish you the best of luck the rest of the cycle...I know how hard you have worked to get to this point and I am sure everything will turn out well for you;

Thanks doll. This is greatly appreciated.

I'm certain you'll get into a great law school and we'll soon cross paths.

Good luck to you!!! And friends don't say good bye, they say see you later! :wink: :lol:

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:55 pm

Magnifique1908 wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:-Le Magnifique (haha)- I know you will be successful wherever you end up choosing to go and I wish you the best of luck the rest of the cycle...I know how hard you have worked to get to this point and I am sure everything will turn out well for you;

Thanks doll. This is greatly appreciated.

I'm certain you'll get into a great law school and we'll soon cross paths.

Good luck to you!!! And friends don't say good bye, they say see you later! :wink: :lol:

I might not be able to be in classes with ya'll but you guys haven't heard the last of me either! LOL. I am not sure if that's a good thing or a threat! LOL :lol:

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:39 pm

laughsalot06 wrote:Dean Pless,

I was wondering if you advise admitted students to only attend the specified Admitted Students Days or if visiting the school on their own can give them a similar experience.

I will be in the batch of decisions released (12/7), and if accepted (fingers crossed), I would like to visit within the next week. I'm from Illinois, but go to school out-of-state and for traveling purposes, it would easier for me to visit when I'm home on winter break.

Thanks for your help, and to add to the chorus, I really appreciate your transparency and open communication.

The Open Houses give you a chance to meet more of our current students and more of your future classmates. We understand that not everyone can come at those times, so we are happy to have you visit anytime that school is in session. We will give you a tour with one of our current students, let you sit in on a first year class, and if you would like to meet with me or anyone on my staff, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Or what Barbie said.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Lwoods wrote:Dean Pless,

I know at some law schools, 2Ls and 3Ls take on on-campus positions, such as RA positions. Do law students at Illinois ever take Graduate Assistant positions on campus?

Also, does UIUC Law have any rules regarding working during the school year in addition to the restrictions the ABA has in place?

Thanks!

We do have some students who get positions across campus. Those are positions that students apply for individually and not something the College assigns. We don't have any additional restrictions other than complying with the ABA standard. Personally, I strongly recommend that 1L's not work. Your first year grades are just too important.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:46 pm

Over the past two years we have placed students into 33 different states. Our strongest market has been and always will be Chicago. We are fine with that, Chicago is the second largest legal market in the country, a great place to live and has been (somewhat) less affected by the recession. We work very hard in placing our students, from the Dean on down. The market has certainly been tough over the past few years, but we are starting to see that change for the better and are optimistic about the next few years. After Chicago our largest markets are DC, NYC, LA and Houston.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Pless wrote:

Over the past two years we have placed students into 33 different states. Our strongest market has been and always will be Chicago. We are fine with that, Chicago is the second largest legal market in the country, a great place to live and has been (somewhat) less affected by the recession. We work very hard in placing our students, from the Dean on down. The market has certainly been tough over the past few years, but we are starting to see that change for the better and are optimistic about the next few years. After Chicago our largest markets are DC, NYC, LA and Houston.

How is UIUC's placement in Dallas?

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:51 pm

Dean Pless:

Do you ever change the amount of scholarship you offer an applicant?

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Dean Pless:
If an applicant was rejected for this cycle, would you re-consider them for this cycle if they re-took the LSAT in February and did a lot better? Thank you in advance.

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:00 am

Edited: I am silly and figured it out on my own...sorry for bumping the thread. :-)

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:08 am

kk19131 wrote:Dean Pless:

Do you ever change the amount of scholarship you offer an applicant?

From the TLS interview with Dean Pless:

TLS: Are scholarships negotiable? Do you find students trying to negotiate later in the cycle? What is the rate of success?

People try to negotiate all of the time. The ones that have been successful have support for their reason, beyond just wanting more. I am certainly open to people discussing their other offers with me, and I will look at adjusting our offer. I take into consideration the total cost of attendance, not the scholarship amount. I will also look at the quality of the schools that the other offers come from. Whether or not I can increase my initial offer depends a lot on where my budget is at that moment. The short answer is that it never hurts to ask, but do so in a professional manner with facts to support your request. I have never taken money away from someone for asking, although I have come close.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:12 pm

Pless wrote:We work very hard in placing our students, from the Dean on down.

I can attest to this. The dean of the law school, Bruce Smith, is my property professor. The law school does this neat "take your professor out to lunch" thing, where you can get a group together (or I guess just go one-on-one, but it seems like people choose groups) and then get reimbursed for buying the prof's lunch. Anyway, a group of my section-mates and I took Dean Smith out to breakfast (he's a busy man, so lunch wasn't an option), and we got on the subject of jobs, and I mentioned a firm in California that I'm very interested in. His response - "I have someone you should talk to."

Point is, everyone at Illinois cares about how the students do. I mean, why wouldn't they? They want us to succeed, because our success is good for the school (of course), but also because I think they genuinely care. At least that's the feeling I get.

By the way, hope that you get Smith for property. He is amazing. A bit scary in class sometimes (he LOVES Socratic method), but amazing.

Pless

Postby Pless » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:56 pm

risktaker wrote:Dean Pless:
If an applicant was rejected for this cycle, would you re-consider them for this cycle if they re-took the LSAT in February and did a lot better? Thank you in advance.

I will look at it if you email me after your results come in. Typically the class is pretty full by that point in time, but I will look at it.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Dean Pless,

How does your school rank for NYC BigLaw? Also, what are the chances for Chicago BigLaw in this economy?

Pless

Postby Pless » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:38 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:Dean Pless,

How does your school rank for NYC BigLaw? Also, what are the chances for Chicago BigLaw in this economy?

We place people into the largest NYC law firms every year. We saw an uptick in OCI from Chicago firms this year. The Illinois name continues to do well in Chicago. I don't what you mean exactly by "rank".

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Oh, please excuse the ambiguity of "rank." The answer you gave me was exactly what I wanted. Do you know what percentage of the last graduating class placed in BigLaw firms?

Thank you.

Prairie

Postby Prairie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:25 pm

Dean Pless,

I received the Illinois annual report in the mail last week. I was really looking forward to getting some employment stats/numbers. Can you give any more robust information than employment percentage? Such as, how many of your grads filled out employment surveys and are therefore represented in those statistics?

Thanks,
p

Pless

Postby Pless » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:21 am

Prairie wrote:Dean Pless,

I received the Illinois annual report in the mail last week. I was really looking forward to getting some employment stats/numbers. Can you give any more robust information than employment percentage? Such as, how many of your grads filled out employment surveys and are therefore represented in those statistics?

Thanks,
p

Early next year we will send out comprehensive employment data to all admitted students. The 2010 numbers don't get finalized until the end of February.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:22 am

^ I find a response at this hour extremely impressive, such dedication!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”