Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jackalope11

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby jackalope11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:34 am

Last edited by jackalope11 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:36 am

Dean Pless,
I understand it is quite difficult to establish residency, but just out of curiousity-- if an out of state applicant could, would their scholarships be adjusted, or remain the same amount?
Thank you.

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:38 am

Barbie wrote:Dean Pless,
I understand it is quite difficult to establish residency, but just out of curiousity-- if an out of state applicant could, would their scholarships be adjusted, or remain the same amount?
Thank you.

They would remain the same, unless the change would make the scholarship more than full-tuition.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:53 am

Good question Barbie. On a related note, what are the stipulations of establishing residency? I know some schools require, say, 12 months of continuous domicile prior to claiming residency.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:55 am

scruffs mcguff wrote:Good question Barbie. On a related note, what are the stipulations of establishing residency? I know some schools require, say, 12 months of continuous domicile prior to claiming residency.

To further this, I am actually looking to purchase a house, and my long-term boyfriend is moving up there with me, will be working full time, and we will probably marry around the summer after my first year. I am curious as to what impact this would have. I tried looking on the website and didn't find any specifics.

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Residency is controlled by the University, not the College. The standard is you must live in Illinois for 12 months prior to enrollment and be in the state for non-educational purposes. That makes it pretty tough to get residency switched. Some students have done it, typically by purchasing property in Illinois, though some have done it by working. Neither of these are guaranteed however and the University office that controls this has discretion.

Sorry that I can't give a clear answer on this, but there really just isn't one.

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:39 pm

Barbie wrote:You guys should probably take the non-Illinois convos to the lounge. Not at all trying to be mean, just saying I know I get excited that there may be more useful information posted in this thread when it becomes active, but its just on and on about Disney. I can't imagine I'm the only one :)

You are correct...and I apologize :( :oops:

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:46 pm

Pless wrote:Residency is controlled by the University, not the College. The standard is you must live in Illinois for 12 months prior to enrollment and be in the state for non-educational purposes. That makes it pretty tough to get residency switched. Some students have done it, typically by purchasing property in Illinois, though some have done it by working. Neither of these are guaranteed however and the University office that controls this has discretion.

Sorry that I can't give a clear answer on this, but there really just isn't one.

Sounds like, overall, it is pretty tough/impossible if you are just one person going to Illinois as a student and renting property. Though, I wonder if a situation like Barbie's arose where your (potential) spouse was working but you were only a student and renting. But then again, in her case, she would be buying property. It seems like they often deal with it on a case-by-case basis?

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:52 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:Sounds like, overall, it is pretty tough/impossible if you are just one person going to Illinois as a student and renting property. Though, I wonder if a situation like Barbie's arose where your (potential) spouse was working but you were only a student and renting. But then again, in her case, she would be buying property. It seems like they often deal with it on a case-by-case basis?

That pretty much sums it up.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:51 pm

I know more info will be available in January about this, but generally what should we expect for the open houses in other cities? I'll be attending the one in Houston on March 23, so I'm just curious as to how long it usually is, what topics are covered, and who usually comes to represent Illinois (i.e. will alumni in TX be there, etc.)? Will it basically be similar to the open houses in Illinois just minus the tour of buildings?

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:32 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:I know more info will be available in January about this, but generally what should we expect for the open houses in other cities? I'll be attending the one in Houston on March 23, so I'm just curious as to how long it usually is, what topics are covered, and who usually comes to represent Illinois (i.e. will alumni in TX be there, etc.)? Will it basically be similar to the open houses in Illinois just minus the tour of buildings?

These are receptions, with local alumni, me and the Dean of the College.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:42 pm

Pless wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:I know more info will be available in January about this, but generally what should we expect for the open houses in other cities? I'll be attending the one in Houston on March 23, so I'm just curious as to how long it usually is, what topics are covered, and who usually comes to represent Illinois (i.e. will alumni in TX be there, etc.)? Will it basically be similar to the open houses in Illinois just minus the tour of buildings?

So will one of you be in NYC and the other in Houston since they are on the same day, according to the facebook page?

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:53 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
Pless wrote:

So will one of you be in NYC and the other in Houston since they are on the same day, according to the facebook page?

Typo. The Houston event is the 24th, the day after NYC.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Pless wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
Pless wrote:

Typo. The Houston event is the 24th, the day after NYC.

Even better, thank you for the update!

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:00 pm

Will you be coming to Nashville any time soon?

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:Will you be coming to Nashville any time soon?

Unfortunately no.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Pless wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:Will you be coming to Nashville any time soon?

Unfortunately no.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh well, I know this great little Indian restaurant. :lol:

I do not think you were here for our law school fair were you? If so I probably missed out on the one chance I had to meet you. Haha. :lol:

Pless

Postby Pless » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:00 pm

Looks like the next batch of files will be those that were completed by 12/13/10. These decisions will come out on January 7th. Sorry for the longer wait.

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:02 pm

Is there a stage in between "ready for review" and a decision? I've been "complete - ready for review" since 11/30. Can I expect a decision tomorrow or the next round?

Pless

Postby Pless » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:09 pm

jwaters wrote:Is there a stage in between "ready for review" and a decision? I've been "complete - ready for review" since 11/30. Can I expect a decision tomorrow or the next round?

In Review.

You will be in the next round.

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:40 pm

Yea, I'm ready for review on 12/14. I assume I'll be the round after next.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:44 pm

Pless wrote:Looks like the next batch of files will be those that were completed by 12/13/10. These decisions will come out on January 7th. Sorry for the longer wait.

Yippy! I can't wait. Now I have a date to look forward to!

Thanks Dean Pless :D

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:39 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Pless wrote:Looks like the next batch of files will be those that were completed by 12/13/10. These decisions will come out on January 7th. Sorry for the longer wait.

Yippy! I can't wait. Now I have a date to look forward to!

Thanks Dean Pless :D

Ditto! Eek.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:30 pm

Ah, I went complete on 12/14. Looks like I am a day late, dollar short. Oh well...guess I'll drag out the antagonizing wait a little more!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”