Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Spinozist21

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:18 pm

Pless wrote:This is probably going to be the toughest cycle yet for Illinois. We are projecting a class size of 180 students and are currently on pace for 5,000 applications. The quality of the applications we are receiving are just through the roof. All of the people that I have Wait Listed and even some of those that have been denied have been remarkable candidates, it is just we only have so many seats.

For those on the WL, you probably won't have to wait until May to hear something. I will see how the cycle is going in late January and start making some moves then with people on the WL. I withdraw people from the list when I know that there is no chance they will be admitted. I pull people off the WL as I see a need in the class as it is shaping up. Typically, about a week before I make any decisions about the WL I will ask for people on the list to send me some form of continued interest. That doesn't always happen, but usually that is how it works.

I will try to send out regular (at least monthly) updates to people on the WL. As we get closer to deposit deadlines I will send those out more often. We have changed our deposit structure a bit this year and I think that will help me make more WL decisions in early April.

Hope that helps some, I know the WL game is agonizing. I will do what I can to minimize that, but I am sure that it will still be stressful at times. Please feel free to ask me any other questions about the College or our process.

Whether I am accepted or not (and it is likely the latter), Dean Pless, I can honestly say it has been a pleasure to converse with you. The care you have shown in this process will be something I always remember. I wish more Deans and universities were as open and caring about their applicants as you have been.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:20 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
Pless wrote:This is probably going to be the toughest cycle yet for Illinois. We are projecting a class size of 180 students and are currently on pace for 5,000 applications. The quality of the applications we are receiving are just through the roof. All of the people that I have Wait Listed and even some of those that have been denied have been remarkable candidates, it is just we only have so many seats.

For those on the WL, you probably won't have to wait until May to hear something. I will see how the cycle is going in late January and start making some moves then with people on the WL. I withdraw people from the list when I know that there is no chance they will be admitted. I pull people off the WL as I see a need in the class as it is shaping up. Typically, about a week before I make any decisions about the WL I will ask for people on the list to send me some form of continued interest. That doesn't always happen, but usually that is how it works.

I will try to send out regular (at least monthly) updates to people on the WL. As we get closer to deposit deadlines I will send those out more often. We have changed our deposit structure a bit this year and I think that will help me make more WL decisions in early April.

Hope that helps some, I know the WL game is agonizing. I will do what I can to minimize that, but I am sure that it will still be stressful at times. Please feel free to ask me any other questions about the College or our process.

Whether I am accepted or not (and it is likely the latter), Dean Pless, I can honestly say it has been a pleasure to converse with you. The care you have shown in this process will be something I always remember. I wish more Deans and universities were as open and caring about their applicants as you have been.

You are officially banned from saying anything nice about me on this thread until Monday.

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:22 pm

Accepted! Substantial $ (PM for details). Thank you Illinois!

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks Dean Pless - this makes me feel a good bit better about the WL, and that there's still hope :) As always, I appreciate the transparency and honesty.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Pless wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:

You are officially banned from saying anything nice about me on this thread until Monday.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I may not have anything good to say about you after Monday :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding. Humor is my way to get through the stress...I will refrain from all niceties...

krad

Postby krad » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:27 pm

Pless wrote: You are officially banned from saying anything nice about me on this thread until Monday.

lol

Congrats to all, I'll be checking back here come January! /my participation ITT (for now...)

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:34 pm

krad wrote:
Pless wrote: You are officially banned from saying anything nice about me on this thread until Monday.

lol

Congrats to all, I'll be checking back here come January! /my participation ITT (for now...)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just call things the way I see them...I apologize for any potential problems I have caused.

Prairie

Postby Prairie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Dean Pless,

a hypothetical: if i was allowed to defer for a year and during that year i gained resident status in illinois would my scholarship offer still hold? debt is going to be a driver when i decide which school to attend.

thanks.

p

mcubberly

Postby mcubberly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:09 pm

Thank you SO MUCH Dean Pless. I am so excited about this. My stepmom flipped out (her dad and brother went there and she grew up 30m away). I'm pretty sure she and my dad started buying Illini stuff already. Thanks so much for all the help and transparency on here. :D :D :D

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:12 pm

Prairie wrote:Dean Pless,

a hypothetical: if i was allowed to defer for a year and during that year i gained resident status in illinois would my scholarship offer still hold? debt is going to be a driver when i decide which school to attend.

thanks.

p

It is possible. Residency is determined by the University, not the College. I can't always guarantee the same scholarship for deferrals. It depends on the situation and it is decided on a case-by-case basis.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:20 pm

Dean Pless:

Is it possible to apply to a joint-program after one has already begun his/her legal education? I, obviously, have an interest in philosophy and was thinking about doing the joint-program but I wasn't sure if I had to apply to the joint-progam nor if I could do that later.

Thank you,
The nolongerbeingnice Spinoza.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:21 pm

Dean Pless,

I'm retaking tomorrow and my application is incomplete until (presumably) December scores are reported. Approximately what % of your class do you think will be filled by early January?

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:28 pm

Pless wrote:

thanks.

p

It is possible. Residency is determined by the University, not the College. I can't always guarantee the same scholarship for deferrals. It depends on the situation and it is decided on a case-by-case basis.

Wow, I was going to ask almost the exact same question. Is UUIC rather lenient in granting deferrals? And, if granted, are the deferrals binding?

Thanks in advance Dean Pless!

Also, on an unrelated note, I too want to thank you for making this thread. A lot of the questions that have been on my mind have been answered in this thread in a transparent and candid manner. UUIC has leapfrogged up to the top of my list, I am definitely going to have to visit.

Spinozist21 - I am not sure if I read it in this thread, but I believe I read that you can apply to join programs throughout your 1L year. I am sure Dean Pless can confirm/deny this information.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:31 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
Pless wrote:

thanks.

p

Wow, I was going to ask almost the exact same question. Is UUIC rather lenient in granting deferrals? And, if granted, are the deferrals binding?

Also, on an unrelated note, I too want to thank you for making this thread. A lot of the questions that have been on my mind have been answered in this thread in a transparent and candid manner. UUIC has leapfrogged up to the top of my list, I am definitely going to have to visit.

Spinozist21 - I am not sure if I read it in this thread, but I believe I read that you can apply to join programs throughout your 1L year. I am sure Dean Pless can confirm/deny this information.

I would say something similar...but I have been censored..........censorship is a violation of freedom of speech...and when internalized censorship can become a censorship of self-identity which is a violation of human rights! Just ask Bourdieu and Gloria Anzaldua. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry...philosophy again.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:Dean Pless:

Is it possible to apply to a joint-program after one has already begun his/her legal education? I, obviously, have an interest in philosophy and was thinking about doing the joint-program but I wasn't sure if I had to apply to the joint-progam nor if I could do that later.

Thank you,

Absolutely. That is how most people do it.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:40 pm

luckyme wrote:Dean Pless,

I'm retaking tomorrow and my application is incomplete until (presumably) December scores are reported. Approximately what % of your class do you think will be filled by early January?

Probably half, but that includes iLEAP and our ED pool.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:41 pm

I'm out but that's no big surprise :) Congrats to all who got in and thanks again to Dean Pless for this amazing thread. It made the application process with UIUC so much smoother and less stressful than all the others!

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:42 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
Pless wrote:

thanks.

p

We are pretty lenient with deferrals. It really depends on the reason. They aren't binding, but we will normally require both deposits to hold the seat.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Pless wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:Dean Pless:

Thank you,

Absolutely. That is how most people do it.

Oh. Thank you. Illinois has a great philosophy department. In fact, one of my professors here at Vanderbilt, Jose Medina, just came up and gave a talk, I do believe, at UIUC earlier this semester. Dr. Medina is absolutely awesome...and brilliant.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Pless wrote:
luckyme wrote:Dean Pless,

Probably half, but that includes iLEAP and our ED pool.

Hope! Thank you.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:48 pm

WL. Dang.

to make myself feel better, I keep saying it is because of the number of applicants they receive due to their fee waiver and the fact I didnt write a why Illinois essay.

oh well.

Dean Pless,
Is there a time limit on accepting the WL offer?

thank you.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:50 pm

dreakol wrote:Dean Pless,
Is there a time limit on accepting the WL offer?

thank you.

Good question. Every month or so I will go out to the people that haven't responded either way and ask them if they have decided. If I don't hear anything after that I will withdraw the file.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:16 pm

Wow, I just noticed how many applications were sent to UIUC for the class of 2012. 3,500-5,000 is an incredible jump in just 2 years. Makes me feel very blessed to be accepted :)

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:27 pm

I just wanted to pop my head in here to say two things:

1) Congratulations to all my friends and fellow TLSers who got in!
2) Dean Pless is awesome. His open communication with applicants is really refreshing.

softsgalore

Postby softsgalore » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Congratulations to everyone who got in today...I'm excited to be under review in this week's batch.

Barbie -- ESPECIALLY congratulations to you. I have been rooting for you (as have we all, I'm sure!), and I was incredibly happy to learn you'd gotten in!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”