Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:51 pm

blurbz wrote:
bergg007 wrote:It's amazing how polite everyone is on this forum because they know they are being watched. Dean Pless, do you surf the forums on TLS at all or do you just stick to the Illinois stuff? I just wonder because most people put out enough information about themselves for you to research them and figure out which applicant they are, though I highly doubt you would have time to do this. I just think it's be a funny thing to send in a rejection packet;

John Doe,

We regret to inform you that we will not be offering enrollment to you at this time because you are a troll. UIUC does not look kindly on trolling and in spite of your stellar academic record, We here at UIUC really just don't want you on campus.


Sincerely,

All of UIUC.


I'm positive it won't happen here since I know our admissions staff is too busy to bother figuring out who is who, but it did happen (and with funny consequences...) a little while ago with a "job" opportunity.

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/02/flame-wa ... w-schools/


^ That. And like Paul said, they don't have time to really track anyone down. He actually figured out who I am (after I was admitted, thankfully, haha - and that made orientation fun when he called me by my TLS name), but I'm pretty sure that was only because I was talking about something on the forums that I had also emailed him about, so I gave myself away.

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Pless » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:54 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:^ That. And like Paul said, they don't have time to really track anyone down. He actually figured out who I am (after I was admitted, thankfully, haha - and that made orientation fun when he called me by my TLS name), but I'm pretty sure that was only because I was talking about something on the forums that I had also emailed him about, so I gave myself away.


Well Nancy, you did make it really, really obvious.

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:54 pm

Pless wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:^ That. And like Paul said, they don't have time to really track anyone down. He actually figured out who I am (after I was admitted, thankfully, haha - and that made orientation fun when he called me by my TLS name), but I'm pretty sure that was only because I was talking about something on the forums that I had also emailed him about, so I gave myself away.


Well Nancy, you did make it really, really obvious.

:lol: :mrgreen:

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Barbie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:55 pm

blurbz wrote:
bergg007 wrote:It's amazing how polite everyone is on this forum because they know they are being watched. Dean Pless, do you surf the forums on TLS at all or do you just stick to the Illinois stuff? I just wonder because most people put out enough information about themselves for you to research them and figure out which applicant they are, though I highly doubt you would have time to do this. I just think it's be a funny thing to send in a rejection packet;

John Doe,

We regret to inform you that we will not be offering enrollment to you at this time because you are a troll. UIUC does not look kindly on trolling and in spite of your stellar academic record, We here at UIUC really just don't want you on campus.


Sincerely,

All of UIUC.


I'm positive it won't happen here since I know our admissions staff is too busy to bother figuring out who is who, but it did happen (and with funny consequences...) a little while ago with a "job" opportunity.

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/02/flame-wa ... w-schools/


Oh my gosh!!!!
In all honesty, sometimes I wish adcomms/Deans would read the threads. People who apply to schools and then trash them on the forums (saying the school is TTT, applying only for scholarship bardering at other schools, etc) because I feel like candidates with lower numbers who REALLY want to go to that school deserve the spot much more and would appreciate it and take the education seriously. I see this more often than I would like and it makes me sad :(

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby TCScrutinizer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:21 pm

Pless wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:^ That. And like Paul said, they don't have time to really track anyone down. He actually figured out who I am (after I was admitted, thankfully, haha - and that made orientation fun when he called me by my TLS name), but I'm pretty sure that was only because I was talking about something on the forums that I had also emailed him about, so I gave myself away.


Well Nancy, you did make it really, really obvious.


So obvious that I called her "Nancy" for several weeks before I finally got used to her actual name.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:28 pm

Barbie wrote:Oh my gosh!!!!
In all honesty, sometimes I wish adcomms/Deans would read the threads. People who apply to schools and then trash them on the forums (saying the school is TTT, applying only for scholarship bardering at other schools, etc) because I feel like candidates with lower numbers who REALLY want to go to that school deserve the spot much more and would appreciate it and take the education seriously. I see this more often than I would like and it makes me sad :(


I do share the same point of view as you, Barbie. However, those with high LSAT/GPA do have that edge in the admission process, and they should be awarded for their accomplishments. We just hope that more schools will take a holistic approach in their admission process.
Last edited by tea_drinker on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:13 am

blurbz wrote:
bergg007 wrote:It's amazing how polite everyone is on this forum because they know they are being watched. Dean Pless, do you surf the forums on TLS at all or do you just stick to the Illinois stuff? I just wonder because most people put out enough information about themselves for you to research them and figure out which applicant they are, though I highly doubt you would have time to do this. I just think it's be a funny thing to send in a rejection packet;

John Doe,

We regret to inform you that we will not be offering enrollment to you at this time because you are a troll. UIUC does not look kindly on trolling and in spite of your stellar academic record, We here at UIUC really just don't want you on campus.


Sincerely,

All of UIUC.


I'm positive it won't happen here since I know our admissions staff is too busy to bother figuring out who is who, but it did happen (and with funny consequences...) a little while ago with a "job" opportunity.

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/02/flame-wa ... w-schools/


That is crazy...and the fact that the administrator replied? Dang.

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:28 am

Barbie wrote:
blurbz wrote:
bergg007 wrote:It's amazing how polite everyone is on this forum because they know they are being watched. Dean Pless, do you surf the forums on TLS at all or do you just stick to the Illinois stuff? I just wonder because most people put out enough information about themselves for you to research them and figure out which applicant they are, though I highly doubt you would have time to do this. I just think it's be a funny thing to send in a rejection packet;

John Doe,

We regret to inform you that we will not be offering enrollment to you at this time because you are a troll. UIUC does not look kindly on trolling and in spite of your stellar academic record, We here at UIUC really just don't want you on campus.


Sincerely,

All of UIUC.


I'm positive it won't happen here since I know our admissions staff is too busy to bother figuring out who is who, but it did happen (and with funny consequences...) a little while ago with a "job" opportunity.

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/02/flame-wa ... w-schools/


Oh my gosh!!!!
In all honesty, sometimes I wish adcomms/Deans would read the threads. People who apply to schools and then trash them on the forums (saying the school is TTT, applying only for scholarship bardering at other schools, etc) because I feel like candidates with lower numbers who REALLY want to go to that school deserve the spot much more and would appreciate it and take the education seriously. I see this more often than I would like and it makes me sad :(


Yeah, that is really frustrating...it sometimes happens that "numbers" (ie high LSAT and GPA) can give a feeling of entitlement...a feeling that is in many ways irrational.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:48 am

I know that at least two deans at my school know who I am on TLS, so take that for what it is worth. I doubt the average dean or adcomm is perusing the boards trying to find out your deepest darkest secrets, but it is sometimes possible for the connection to be made. So just be careful (that's not to say to not enjoy TLS or censor yourself completely, but just to watch what you say about people and schools).

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Pless » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:13 pm

ED Decisions will be coming out in a few minutes via email. 76 Decisions. 12 Admits, 56 Denys, 8 Holds. Good luck to everyone.

Later today we will move our first batch of regular decision files into review. We are placing all files that were completed by (based on our status, not LSAC) October 20 into review. We will have decisions out on December 3rd. I apologize for the slightly longer wait, but I can't really do anything about Thanksgiving.

Paul

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby lalalawya » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:08 pm

To echo everyone else, thank you so much for answering questions!

As an estimate from this past ED and RD cycle, and the most recent ED cycle, how many (if any) applicants do you admit who are a non-urm and below the median for both LSAT/GPA? I realize that this is a very precise question, so any answer you can give would be helpful :).

Thanks!

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:44 pm

Pless wrote:ED Decisions will be coming out in a few minutes via email. 76 Decisions. 12 Admits, 56 Denys, 8 Holds. Good luck to everyone.

Later today we will move our first batch of regular decision files into review. We are placing all files that were completed by (based on our status, not LSAC) October 20 into review. We will have decisions out on December 3rd. I apologize for the slightly longer wait, but I can't really do anything about Thanksgiving.

Paul


Thanks for the information once again. Would you mind telling me how long it normally takes from the point of submitting and going "LSAC complete" to one's receiving an email of receipt of the application and status checker?

Thank you again.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Barbie » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:46 pm

By the way, Dean Pless..

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

don't think I'm a stalker :cry:

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:49 pm

Barbie wrote:By the way, Dean Pless..

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

don't think I'm a stalker :cry:


Beware of the Barbie...."Chucky" was a doll too.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Pless » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Barbie, thank you. I won't ask how you knew it was my birthday.

From the time we receive your file it is usually 2-3 days before you will get the logon for the status checker. If we get your application on a Friday it might take another day.

Lalala, not very many. Maybe 5% of the class.

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Pless » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:17 pm

On the status checker, you want to make sure that you are checking your junk/spam folder and that you are actually checking the email account you gave to us your primary email.

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Ok, thank you. I should be getting one in a couple days then. :D

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:21 pm

Pless wrote:On the status checker, you want to make sure that you are checking your junk/spam folder and that you are actually checking the email account you gave to us your primary email.


Good advice. Funny story: when I was applying for undergraduate I had an email in my spam folder for weeks, apparently, and where I lived we had PO Boxes and the acceptance letter for one school was put in the wrong box and apparently thrown away by the person who received it incorrectly...needless to say I received a phone call from a specific admission's Dean asking my why I hadn't responded as they knew they were high on my list etc...and I didn't even know I had been accepted. It made for an interesting conversation.

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Pless » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:21 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:Ok, thank you. I should be getting one in a couple days then. :D

Did you time it just right to be application #1234?

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:23 pm

Pless wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:Ok, thank you. I should be getting one in a couple days then. :D

Did you time it just right to be application #1234?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice.

I doubt it...but you have powers that defy human understanding (kinda like Mushu from Mulan) because I just received the email when you made your post.

PS: Are you a Bears' fan?

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Pless » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:26 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:PS: Are you a Bears' fan?


Yes.

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Pless wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:PS: Are you a Bears' fan?


Yes.


Nice...I actually personally know your starting quarterback as one of my good friends is an ex-girlfriend of his.

I just gave away my identity most likely...but that's ok. :lol:

PS again: One of my professors has a really scary signed bobblehead of Mr. Cutler as well. :lol:

Snape
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Snape » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Hello,

Are the ED applications typically less competitive as a whole because it is normally more of a reach for students? I just noticed the acceptance rate of the numbers that you provided was lower quite a bit lower than U of I's rate last cycle.

Thank you for posting

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23956
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Thirteen » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:12 pm

Pless wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:PS: Are you a Bears' fan?


Yes.


Niners are still better 8)

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Postby Pless » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:45 pm

Snape wrote:Hello,

Are the ED applications typically less competitive as a whole because it is normally more of a reach for students? I just noticed the acceptance rate of the numbers that you provided was lower quite a bit lower than U of I's rate last cycle.

Thank you for posting


That is part of the reason. The other is that each year it gets a little harder to get in.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Exabot [Bot], hip to be Square, lawlawland16 and 8 guests