Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Spinozist21

Silver

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Post by Spinozist21 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:49 am

chrisbru wrote:
Barbie wrote:You're lucky! Not only did I not forget-- I had a nightmare about it! :oops:

Oh no! You gotta shed the nightmare bug. At least you have a week less to stress than I do :-)
We should be in the same decision cycle then.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:53 am

Here to say I'm very excited and scared for Friday :)

With my numbers (my profile numbers are wrong) it's kind of a safety, but its one that I love and would be my first acceptance. So it's also a test of whether or not I totally messed up my PS.

Ruv you Pless.

softsgalore

New

Post by softsgalore » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:29 am

Great, make him think all people with >75th numbers are thinking of his school as a "safety" first and foremost. Urgh. I'm also worried about my PS as being risky, and have good numbers, but it's a school I have strong reasons for attending, both geographic and personal. Eesh. I can't help but think that situations like that are why schools start implementing YP policies.

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:33 am

I have toggled back and forth between "Complete from LSAC" and "File Complete -- Ready for Review" over the past two weeks. My latest status via status checker is "File Complete -- Ready for Review" on 12/6. Any guesses about when a decision will be rendered at this point? 12/10?

Henchman21

New

Post by Henchman21 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:36 am

neonx wrote:I have toggled back and forth between "Complete from LSAC" and "File Complete -- Ready for Review" over the past two weeks. My latest status via status checker is "File Complete -- Ready for Review" on 12/6. Any guesses about when a decision will be rendered at this point? 12/10?

Your not in review yet. It will say "File Complete - In Review" when you are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:37 am

neonx wrote:I have toggled back and forth between "Complete from LSAC" and "File Complete -- Ready for Review" over the past two weeks. My latest status via status checker is "File Complete -- Ready for Review" on 12/6. Any guesses about when a decision will be rendered at this point? 12/10?
Pless wrote:
Well, that was bad timing for a TLS outage. Emails have been sent out. 51 admits, 37 offers to the Wait List and 102 denials. As we did last year, we "offer" spots on our Wait List to applicants, and you must complete the online survey included in the email.

We will be moving the next batch of files into review shortly. Anyone who completed their file by November 10th will be in this next round. Decisions will be out on Friday, December 10th.

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:38 am

Henchman21 wrote:

Your not in review yet. It will say "File Complete - In Review" when you are.
Thank you. Hoping to hear word back before the Holidays. =)

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:56 am

softsgalore wrote:Great, make him think all people with >75th numbers are thinking of his school as a "safety" first and foremost. Urgh. I'm also worried about my PS as being risky, and have good numbers, but it's a school I have strong reasons for attending, both geographic and personal. Eesh. I can't help but think that situations like that are why schools start implementing YP policies.
My numbers aren't above 75ths. Safety first and foremost is definitely not what I think of when I think of UIUC. It's just an observation based on my numbers. I'm sure Pless is aware that people judge their chances at getting into a school based on numbers.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:43 am

Hannibal wrote:
softsgalore wrote:Great, make him think all people with >75th numbers are thinking of his school as a "safety" first and foremost. Urgh. I'm also worried about my PS as being risky, and have good numbers, but it's a school I have strong reasons for attending, both geographic and personal. Eesh. I can't help but think that situations like that are why schools start implementing YP policies.
My numbers aren't above 75ths. Safety first and foremost is definitely not what I think of when I think of UIUC. It's just an observation based on my numbers. I'm sure Pless is aware that people judge their chances at getting into a school based on numbers.
shhhhh hannibanani, I want Pless to look at my app and go "Aw, poor little Barbie's numbers aren't up to par, but she's clearly fabulous nonetheless :D"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:57 pm

Barbie wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
shhhhh hannibanani, I want Pless to look at my app and go "Aw, poor little Barbie's numbers aren't up to par, but she's clearly fabulous nonetheless :D"
You know I don't think the numbers apply to you barbie ;) Unfortunately some of us have had lives that are kind of lame and have to get by on grades and a 3.5 hour test. Which I am totally OK with :lol:

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Hannibal wrote: You know I don't think the numbers apply to you barbie ;) Unfortunately some of us have had lives that are kind of lame and have to get by on grades and a 3.5 hour test. Which I am totally OK with :lol:
Psht. Hanni Thinking Cam >> Barbie Active Cam (this is a metaphor. I swear:D )

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:51 pm

My ps was extremely risky, but got accepted with a 3/4th tuition sholarship. I am glad he was able to see the over arching message I was trying to convey. I know my ps ended up being a detriment to my chances at some schools.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:22 pm

Dean Pless,

I would like to add to the chorus thanking you for doing this. I know the date you go under review is dependent on your complete date. Is the relevant date when you first go complete or the most recent complete date? I submitted an addendum and I was curious whether that would delay your review of my file.

Thank you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:52 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:Dean Pless,

I would like to add to the chorus thanking you for doing this. I know the date you go under review is dependent on your complete date. Is the relevant date when you first go complete or the most recent complete date? I submitted an addendum and I was curious whether that would delay your review of my file.

Thank you.
The relevant date is the first time you go "Complete - Ready for Review" Adding things to your file after that will not push you back.

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:35 pm

Thank you Dean Pless for the acceptance.

I wanted to inquire about the possibility of clerking and how probable it is from Illinois? Also, if in addition to your civil litigation clinic the school was looking to expand to include an Appellate clinic?

Thank you!

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:05 am

crossingforHYS wrote:Thank you Dean Pless for the acceptance.

I wanted to inquire about the possibility of clerking and how probable it is from Illinois? Also, if in addition to your civil litigation clinic the school was looking to expand to include an Appellate clinic?

Thank you!
Typically 8 to 12% of the class clerks after graduation. We have appellate clinics in criminal law, prosecution and defense, and our Civil Litigation Clinic does handle appellate work if one of their cases goes that far. They have been working on a large class action(ish) public benefits case for several years that has bounced back and forth. We have added two new clinics in the last three years, Patent Prosecution and Family Advocacy and we are looking to continue adding new clinics in the coming years.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:12 am

Dean Pless: Illinois is for sure a long shot for me, but I just wanted to get an idea how big of a long shot. How many sub 160 LSAT non-URM folks did you guys take last year? If you can't answer, that's fine. I'm just curious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:13 am

jaydizzle wrote:Dean Pless: Illinois is for sure a long shot for me, but I just wanted to get an idea how big of a long shot. How many sub 160 LSAT non-URM folks did you guys take last year? If you can't answer, that's fine. I'm just curious.
(I'm clearly not Dean Pless) but he said earlier that there are very few spots reserved for us with lower #s. He said there are, however, some spots available. They are just far and few. If you browse through the thread you'll find his answer :)

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:29 am

As usual, Barbie does a better job of answering then I can.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:33 am

Pless wrote:As usual, Barbie does a better job of answering then I can.
You should admit her and then hire her. ;)

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:35 am

Lwoods wrote:
I would like to be admitted too hah! Whatever happens, I do value all of this transparency. It makes things a lot less stressful.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:53 am

Lwoods wrote:
And then she can admit me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:56 pm

I have not applied to this school, however, seeing as this is the only thread with an actual dean responding to questions, i have to ask this. What led you to post on TLS and create a thread such as this with a great deal of transparency? Is this a model for other deans as well, or just specific to some law schools?

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:27 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:I have not applied to this school, however, seeing as this is the only thread with an actual dean responding to questions, i have to ask this. What led you to post on TLS and create a thread such as this with a great deal of transparency? Is this a model for other deans as well, or just specific to some law schools?
The amount of bad information about the law school application process that is online has always driven me crazy. A few years ago I just finally had enough and decided that I would try to put some good information out here. I chose TLS because I thought the conversation was fairly civilized, the site is well run and it had the best search features. I don't know of any other deans currently communicating in this way, but a number of them have blogs on their own law school sites that are very informative.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:14 pm

Pless wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:I have not applied to this school, however, seeing as this is the only thread with an actual dean responding to questions, i have to ask this. What led you to post on TLS and create a thread such as this with a great deal of transparency? Is this a model for other deans as well, or just specific to some law schools?
The amount of bad information about the law school application process that is online has always driven me crazy. A few years ago I just finally had enough and decided that I would try to put some good information out here. I chose TLS because I thought the conversation was fairly civilized, the site is well run and it had the best search features. I don't know of any other deans currently communicating in this way, but a number of them have blogs on their own law school sites that are very informative.

Again, I must say this is a great way to communicate with prospective law students.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”