Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pless

Silver

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Post by Pless » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:23 am

Heading to Boston for the LSAC forum on Saturday. More info at http://www.lsac.org. Hope to see you there. Next week will be at University of Colorado, BYU and University of Utah.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:06 pm

I know this might have been asked already.... but when will you begin reviewing apps?

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:31 am

kk19131 wrote:I know this might have been asked already.... but when will you begin reviewing apps?
I will begin reading files in November.

1republic

New

Post by 1republic » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:16 pm

Hello Dean Pless,

From your experience with past students, is it much harder to find work in California after graduation? Or do most feed into Chicago because that's where the alumni base tends to be?

Thanks.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:23 am

My experience is that the students who want to move out West are able to. Chicago is a huge legal market, a great city and two hours from the school, so it is natural that 60% of the class (typically) goes there. In recent years our students placement has really been driven by where they want to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:25 am

Good luck to all applicants this year!

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:15 am

This is a general question. My college allows students to take graduate level courses for undergraduate credit, so long as students obtain permission from the graduate school and the course instructor. If I were to take a law class through my University's law school could I encounter any issues that may negatively affect admissions or matriculation to a given law school?

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:22 am

buckilaw wrote:This is a general question. My college allows students to take graduate level courses for undergraduate credit, so long as students obtain permission from the graduate school and the course instructor. If I were to take a law class through my University's law school could I encounter any issues that may negatively affect admissions or matriculation to a given law school?
I think that schools may place a fair amount of weight on how well you do in that class, which may not be completely fair since you wouldn't have had the background and preparation of the first year of law school to prepare you for an elective course. Also, you wouldn't be allowed to take that course during law school (at least at Illinois). Other than that, I can't think of any downside.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:29 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

1republic

New

Post by 1republic » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
1republic wrote:Hello Dean Pless,

From your experience with past students, is it much harder to find work in California after graduation? Or do most feed into Chicago because that's where the alumni base tends to be?

Thanks.
I'm still a 1L so I don't know if I will get a job in CA (or that I would want to) but at the Illinois reception in L.A. last year I met plenty of alumni who are working there and didn't seem to have any trouble. I even met a girl with no California connections who got a job out there.
That's great to know Kilpatrick. Thank you. I definitely wouldn't mind working in Chicago, but would just like to know that I have options.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Just tagging the thread :) I applied to recently! My absolute favorite professor at my undergraduate university got her degree there and absolutely adores her alma mater <3!

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:34 pm

Submitted today, just two weeks after my first-ever trip to Chicago. Keeping my fingers crossed :) Good luck to everyone here.

obsquared

New

Post by obsquared » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:00 pm

Hello,

Thanks so much for setting up this forum. I'm currently working on my application to Illinois and I must say it's one of my top choices. I took the LSAT on October and I'm still waiting for my scores. I'm an international student and I was wondering if will be possible for me to have the contact information of one of the current international students to ask them questions. Thanks for the fee waiver too, that was a great help!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:27 pm

obsquared wrote:Hello,

Thanks so much for setting up this forum. I'm currently working on my application to Illinois and I must say it's one of my top choices. I took the LSAT on October and I'm still waiting for my scores. I'm an international student and I was wondering if will be possible for me to have the contact information of one of the current international students to ask them questions. Thanks for the fee waiver too, that was a great help!
If you email me I would be happy to have someone contact you. pless@law.illinois.edu

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:15 pm

I hope to see some of you tomorrow in Chicago at the LSAC forum. We will be at table 300. 10-4 at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place.

wdk3618

New

Post by wdk3618 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:44 pm

hello thank you for all of your help. I am wondering how do we go about signing the early decision agreement. It wont let me type anything in the box. Thanks.

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:05 am

Hi Dean Pless,

I wonder how are foreign grades treated in the admissions process? I'm an international student with an 'above average' classification, so I'm not sure whether it's reached Illinois' median GPA, but I have an LSAT score above the 25th percentile. Are the course details on my foreign transcript important in estimating the difficulty of my undergraduate degree? Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:58 pm

Hello Dean Pless,

I had a question, I hope this does not give me away. But if one were to go down the second time they took their LSAT by 9-10 points, and they had an addendum explaining that it was a bad time for them to take the test because of family issues. Would you look at the higher score...or how much would the lower score impact your decision?

Thank you,

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:14 pm

wdk3618 wrote:hello thank you for all of your help. I am wondering how do we go about signing the early decision agreement. It wont let me type anything in the box. Thanks.
You can email us a statement or send it via USPS. It won't hold up the review of your application.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:16 pm

xqhp82 wrote:Hi Dean Pless,

I wonder how are foreign grades treated in the admissions process? I'm an international student with an 'above average' classification, so I'm not sure whether it's reached Illinois' median GPA, but I have an LSAT score above the 25th percentile. Are the course details on my foreign transcript important in estimating the difficulty of my undergraduate degree? Thanks!
We don't try to translate your performance to a 4.0 scale, but evaluate your academic performance based on our experience with the school you attended and the LSAC evaluation. We have extensive experience in evaluating foreign transcripts.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:17 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:Hello Dean Pless,

I had a question, I hope this does not give me away. But if one were to go down the second time they took their LSAT by 9-10 points, and they had an addendum explaining that it was a bad time for them to take the test because of family issues. Would you look at the higher score...or how much would the lower score impact your decision?

Thank you,
I think a brief addendum that explains the circumstances of your second test would take care of it. We will still consider the high score when evaluating your application.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:03 pm

Pless wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:Hello Dean Pless,

Thank you,
I think a brief addendum that explains the circumstances of your second test would take care of it. We will still consider the high score when evaluating your application.
Thank you for your answer!

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:37 am

Dean Pless,

Does regional diversity factor into your admission decisions?

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:07 am

ihp12 wrote:Dean Pless,

Does regional diversity factor into your admission decisions?
At times. We try to have people from all parts of the country (and world) and last year had students from 34 states and 6 foreign countries.

Amir N

Bronze

Post by Amir N » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:01 pm

I checked my status for the first time in a while and it says "File Complete - Ready for Review." Good luck to everyone!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”