Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pless

Silver

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Post by Pless » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:12 am

neeko wrote:Dean Pless,

When looking at applications do you give any consideration to a fairly large disparity between the LSAC calculated GPA and the students actual college GPA? For instance, a 2.6 LSAC and a 3.3 GPA from the University?

Thanks!
I look at the whole record and place more emphasis on your most recent grades. I have to report your overall GPA, not just the GPA from your graduating institution, so that has some bearing on the decision.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:17 am

sambeber wrote:Dean Pless,

I have read on TLS that various law schools have ways of communicating with each when an applicant has paid a deposit at a given school. Could you please comment on the extent to which Illinois shares this information with other schools, and the extent to which it solicits this information from other schools?

Thank you!
All ABA approved law schools have the option of participating in a Commitment Overlap Service that LSAC provides. Illinois participates in this program and last year over 90% of schools participated at some level. Early on in the spring schools that participate will be able to know if someone that has a deposit at their school also has one with another participating school, but no identifying information is shown, just that their is an overlap. Later in the spring, names are attached to that report. It is an automated system and if you choose to participate the information is just taken out of the schools admissions database by LSAC.

Happy to answer any other questions about this process.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:28 am

What is the typical yield on Offers of admittance from the waitlist?

Ie you offer admission to 100 students who were placed on the waitlist, x% choose to enroll.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am

aliarrow wrote:What is the typical yield on Offers of admittance from the waitlist?

Ie you offer admission to 100 students who were placed on the waitlist, x% choose to enroll.
In the past it has been about 85%.

hawks2010

New

Post by hawks2010 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Dean Pless,

I'm sure you've answered this question already, and I just can't find it...

But in years past you've said anything from top 25%, to top 33% in regards to the type of transfer student that U of I accepts. As far as this year goes, coming from a school in the 50s, what does U of I consider a probable contender for a transfer spot?

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:45 am

Pless wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote: Dean Pless,

Thank you for all that you do for the applicants and the entire TLS community.

I am not an applicant to Illinois but I'm sure you can help me with my question. I am currently wait listed listed at my top pick, I am planning a campus visit. How can I express my interests in the school during my visit without seeming overly desperate and annoying.

Thanks!
Ask good questions, not basic things you can find on their websites. Be nice to everyone, you never know who is going to comment on your visit to the admissions people, and you want anything that is reported back to be positive. When WL'd applicants talk to me, I tell them to treat it like they are admitted and ask all of the questions that they would normally have, because if they do get a call, they may only have a few days to make the decision. Be professional. The last thing a school wants is to admit someone who may be high-maintenance from their Wait List (enough sneak in already :))
Thank you! That was real helpful.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:46 am

hawks2010 wrote:Dean Pless,

I'm sure you've answered this question already, and I just can't find it...

But in years past you've said anything from top 25%, to top 33% in regards to the type of transfer student that U of I accepts. As far as this year goes, coming from a school in the 50s, what does U of I consider a probable contender for a transfer spot?

Thanks!
I think that is still correct. Someone in the top third of their class is going to be competitive as a transfer applicant.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Mon May 02, 2011 10:30 am

Wait List Update
We will be coming out with our first round of wait list offers today. Right now the plan is to this in rounds, once a week on Monday. We will do this at least three times and then evaluate where we are. Offers will come via email. More details once I have them all finalized, but happy to answer questions.

Paul

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Mon May 02, 2011 10:32 am

Pless wrote:Wait List Update
We will be coming out with our first round of wait list offers today. Right now the plan is to this in rounds, once a week on Monday. We will do this at least three times and then evaluate where we are. Offers will come via email. More details once I have them all finalized, but happy to answer questions.

Paul
Great news, thank you :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:33 am

Last edited by columbia86 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Mon May 02, 2011 10:47 am

20 Offers. Some time before noon.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Mon May 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Well, I am six minutes late, but 20 offers are going out now. Good luck!
Paul

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:16 pm

I just got in off the waitlist. I'm so surprised. I didn't expect it at all, so I signed a lease in State College, PA and made plans to attend Penn State. Obviously I feel like a complete idiot now and have no idea what to do. I was feeling pressure to secure housing since it fills up so fast at PSU. I certainly have a difficult decision to make. Would anyone care to offer any suggestions?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Tue May 03, 2011 8:23 am

jayman6 wrote:I just got in off the waitlist. I'm so surprised. I didn't expect it at all, so I signed a lease in State College, PA and made plans to attend Penn State. Obviously I feel like a complete idiot now and have no idea what to do. I was feeling pressure to secure housing since it fills up so fast at PSU. I certainly have a difficult decision to make. Would anyone care to offer any suggestions?
If you want to go to Illinois, start trying to find someone to pick up your lease today. It is possible to find someone to assign it to. If you have a helpful landlord (which not everyone does) they might even help you show the apartment. And you could always attempt to negotiate a lease-break agreement. You might expect to pay maybe a couple months' rent to get out of the lease without paying the full penalty, but some landlords will do it if they think they can fill the space without you.

But whatever you do, you should start as soon as possible. The earlier you get on top of this, the more flexible your landlord is likely to be.

dadamafia

New

Post by dadamafia » Thu May 05, 2011 4:16 am

jayman6 wrote:I just got in off the waitlist. I'm so surprised.
Congratulations and I hope all goes well in order for you to attend. Hopefully I will be presented the same opportunity as you were in the next round.

critter

New

Post by critter » Fri May 06, 2011 10:18 am

My chances are shrinking every time they release new waitlist offers and no email shows up. Just wish I had applied to Illinois Law earlier but my military constraints at the time held me back. I got the chance to quickly view the stunning campus when passing through and have been enchanted with everything the institution has to offer. Will write a more focused LOCI this weekend and portray a more upbeat tone than the quick email I gave to Mr. Pless. Even if the waitlist process goes up til August I would be willing to drive to Champaign the very same day to give my deposits and pay the full tuition. I am used to constant change and a last second move would be a cakewalk.

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Fri May 06, 2011 6:20 pm

For all those still on the waitlist, just hang in there. I will most likely not be accepting my offer because of complications with commitments I made to attend elsewhere. I'm also not completely sold on attending at near sticker price.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dadamafia

New

Post by dadamafia » Sun May 08, 2011 2:14 pm

jayman6 wrote:For all those still on the waitlist, just hang in there. I will most likely not be accepting my offer because of complications with commitments I made to attend elsewhere. I'm also not completely sold on attending at near sticker price.
Best of luck with whatever decision you end up making, just put in a good word for me if you decide against attending Illinois. ;-)

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Mon May 09, 2011 9:23 am

I will be sending out an update this morning for everyone on the Wait List. It will include a link to a survey to complete if you wish to remain on the list. I will make another twenty offers tomorrow morning. Let me know if you have any questions.
Paul

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Mon May 09, 2011 10:07 am

Dean Pless

For those of us on the waitlist who have submitted a LOCI, do you reccomend additional LOCI's if the initial one was sent a few months ago?

Thanks

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Mon May 09, 2011 10:13 am

theavrock wrote:Dean Pless

For those of us on the waitlist who have submitted a LOCI, do you reccomend additional LOCI's if the initial one was sent a few months ago?

Thanks
Not necessary, but the survey still is. If you have some new information you want to share it is fine to send an update.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Mon May 09, 2011 10:36 am

Thank you sir. Just trying to find the line between showing interest and annoyance.

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:25 pm

I chose to decline my offer off the waitlist. It was a tough decision! Good luck to those of you still waiting.

dadamafia

New

Post by dadamafia » Mon May 09, 2011 11:54 pm

jayman6 wrote:I chose to decline my offer off the waitlist. It was a tough decision! Good luck to those of you still waiting.
Again, best of luck... and thanks. :wink:

I am a bit nervous about tomorrow's offers, but still hoping for the best (if not tomorrow, then next week). I'm trying my best to stall on my other options because Illinois just seems to perfectly fit what I am looking for in a Law School. If all goes as I hope, then I can finally put all my stresses behind me (for now..). I just want the opportunity. I hope a few of us in here will have good news to report in the coming days. :)

critter

New

Post by critter » Tue May 10, 2011 10:55 am

I put a lot of feeling into my LOCI and do not feel I can express any further how badly I want to be part of this class. I noticed they reviewed my file yesterday so its gonna be a tense day awaiting their decisions. All I can do for now is keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”