Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pless

Silver

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Post by Pless » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:19 pm

kk19131 wrote:When are regular decision seat deposits due?

How much are they?
Wow, thinking ahead. Our first deposit is due April 29 and is $500. The second is May 27 and it is also $500. We will have a non-binding commitment due on April 1 this year. Basically it will be an online form that asks you if you plan on attending Illinois, are still considering Illinois or are no longer considering attending.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:19 pm

Dean Pless,
I will transfer to UIUC in next year in exchange for free hoops tickets. I want to be a part of the 2011-2012 Final Four run.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:Dean Pless,
I will transfer to UIUC in next year in exchange for free hoops tickets. I want to be a part of the 2011-2012 Final Four run.
If I had any control of the athletics program I would fire Ron Zook. You are on your own for tickets.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:27 pm

Pless wrote:
If I had any control of the athletics program I would fire Ron Zook. You are on your own for tickets.
That Minnesota game probably cost him his job (or at least I hope). And I'll be in Champaign for the UNC game... really looking forward to it.

I don't want to hijack your thread, so best of luck selecting your class this year and best of luck to all of you applicants. Illinois is a great school, Champaign is a lot of fun, and Dean Pless is the man.

yoitsmebenny

Bronze

Post by yoitsmebenny » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:54 pm

With a username like "romothesavior," U of I probably doesn't want that bad karma coming anywhere near their basketball team.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:14 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:
With a username like "romothesavior," U of I probably doesn't want that bad karma coming anywhere near their basketball team.
Hey you, don't pollute this helpful thread with anti-cowboys trolling. Take it to the NFL thread :)

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:04 pm

Dean Pless,

First, it is completely awesome that you take time during this most busy time of year to interact with applicants through this forum. Second, I was wondering how UIIC looked at GPA addendums, specifically when the addendum addresses the fact that after transferring an individual had one bad semester on an otherwise clean academic record. Meaning that the current GPA is a 3.5 (due to the one bad semester) while without that semester the GPA would be above a 3.7. Finally, is it too late to apply to the joint JD-PhD (philosophy) program as I noticed that it was advised to apply very early due to coordination between programs.

Thank you,
Baruch Spinoza himself. :lol:

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Pless wrote:
Barbie wrote:Dean Pless,
I apologize if you have had a question very similar to this already. My question regards GPA addenda. If you considered a particular GPA addendum to be compelling, how would this change your view of one's GPA? I don't much mind outing myself, but for example I have ~3.3 and had a pretty awful medical condition for the first few years of my undergraduate studies (which included harsh treatments, lengthy hospital stays, etc). I have been in remission the past two years and have gotten almost straight A's since. How would a situation like this one impact your view of someones GPA? Thank you dearly for all of your answers.
Barbie,
In a case like yours, I would look at your grades after your medical condition has been under control as the true indicator of your ability. An addendum, that clearly and concisely states what was happening in your life when your GPA was lower, would be appropriate. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Paul

Bolded. IMO, explain why that specific semester was so bad in comparison. Of course, I am not Dean Pless, but just my 2 cents :D

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Barbie wrote:
Pless wrote:
I apologize if you have had a question very similar to this already. My question regards GPA addenda. If you considered a particular GPA addendum to be compelling, how would this change your view of one's GPA? I don't much mind outing myself, but for example I have ~3.3 and had a pretty awful medical condition for the first few years of my undergraduate studies (which included harsh treatments, lengthy hospital stays, etc). I have been in remission the past two years and have gotten almost straight A's since. How would a situation like this one impact your view of someones GPA? Thank you dearly for all of your answers.
Barbie,
In a case like yours, I would look at your grades after your medical condition has been under control as the true indicator of your ability. An addendum, that clearly and concisely states what was happening in your life when your GPA was lower, would be appropriate. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Paul

Bolded. IMO, explain why that specific semester was so bad in comparison. Of course, I am not Dean Pless, but just my 2 cents :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dean Barbie. I'll take that under consideration. Thank you :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:20 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:Dean Pless,

First, it is completely awesome that you take time during this most busy time of year to interact with applicants through this forum. Second, I was wondering how UIIC looked at GPA addendums, specifically when the addendum addresses the fact that after transferring an individual had one bad semester on an otherwise clean academic record. Meaning that the current GPA is a 3.5 (due to the one bad semester) while without that semester the GPA would be above a 3.7. Finally, is it too late to apply to the joint JD-PhD (philosophy) program as I noticed that it was advised to apply very early due to coordination between programs.

Thank you,
I think my advice to Barbie applies here. Probably even more given the whole transferring dynamic. I would focus mostly on the overall strong academic performance however.
It is not too late to apply and you can even apply to the PhD program during your first year.

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:39 pm

Pless wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:Dean Pless,

Thank you,
I think my advice to Barbie applies here. Probably even more given the whole transferring dynamic. I would focus mostly on the overall strong academic performance however.
It is not too late to apply and you can even apply to the PhD program during your first year.
Thank you sir. I will get my application in soon. Have a great rest of the cycle.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:29 pm

Thought I would update you all with our file review plan for the coming weeks. ED decisions will be out on Thursday via email. On Thursday we will put the first regular applications into review, but those decisions will not be released until Friday, December 3rd. (Thanksgiving holiday and all.) On Thursday I will post information on the ED decisions (number of apps, admits, etc.) and I will also let you know how many files will be going into reviews and what those dates of completion will be.

I plan on having more decisions out on 12/10 and 12/17. After that the next batch will be 1/7/2011.

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Pless wrote:Thought I would update you all with our file review plan for the coming weeks. ED decisions will be out on Thursday via email. On Thursday we will put the first regular applications into review, but those decisions will not be released until Friday, December 3rd. (Thanksgiving holiday and all.) On Thursday I will post information on the ED decisions (number of apps, admits, etc.) and I will also let you know how many files will be going into reviews and what those dates of completion will be.

I plan on having more decisions out on 12/10 and 12/17. After that the next batch will be 1/7/2011.
Your transparency is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:03 pm

Dean Pless: with your updated time frame those of us who applied more recently should expect to go to review on which of the following dates you posted? I realize any such discussion is only preliminary and in some ways incomplete. However, I also understand you review the applications per the day they go complete, thus the question about us more newly minted applicants. Thank you again for the willingness to freely and openly provide us with this information.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:04 pm

2011Cycle wrote:
Pless wrote:Thought I would update you all with our file review plan for the coming weeks. ED decisions will be out on Thursday via email. On Thursday we will put the first regular applications into review, but those decisions will not be released until Friday, December 3rd. (Thanksgiving holiday and all.) On Thursday I will post information on the ED decisions (number of apps, admits, etc.) and I will also let you know how many files will be going into reviews and what those dates of completion will be.

Your transparency is greatly appreciated. Thank you
+1

Thank you so much, Dean Pless. This definitely reduces our stress level.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Dean Pless,
I am wondering whether you review applications based on date submitted or based on GPA/LSAT?

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:04 pm

I am wondering whether you review applications based on date submitted or based on GPA/LSAT?
I thought the information on their website said they went by the order of going "complete" but I may be mistaken. Dean Spinoza knows not. :D. Or maybe it was on this website's Illinois profile.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:56 pm

We review on the order of completion, and there is no other sort method used. We currently have a little over 1,000 applications. I will have to see what kind of pace I can set in the first few weeks and then I might be better able to predict when file 800 will be read.

horn

New

Post by horn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi Dean Pless,

My application for Illinois Law is complete except for a recommendation from one of my professors. I already have two letters, one from a professor and one from an employer. Should I send in my application now or should I wait until the other academic recommendation comes in? (It should probably be sent within a week or so and updated in LSAC about two weeks from now)

Thanks!

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:05 pm

horn wrote:Hi Dean Pless,

My application for Illinois Law is complete except for a recommendation from one of my professors. I already have two letters, one from a professor and one from an employer. Should I send in my application now or should I wait until the other academic recommendation comes in? (It should probably be sent within a week or so and updated in LSAC about two weeks from now)

Thanks!
I would send it in now. It will count as complete since there are two letters and therefore get in the queue. By the time it gets to review, I am sure that the third letter will be in the file.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:11 pm

I don't want to be annoying, but my status is currently "File Complete - Ready for Review".

Do you think I'd hear back on one of the December dates?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:43 pm

It's amazing how polite everyone is on this forum because they know they are being watched. Dean Pless, do you surf the forums on TLS at all or do you just stick to the Illinois stuff? I just wonder because most people put out enough information about themselves for you to research them and figure out which applicant they are, though I highly doubt you would have time to do this. I just think it's be a funny thing to send in a rejection packet;

John Doe,

We regret to inform you that we will not be offering enrollment to you at this time because you are a troll. UIUC does not look kindly on trolling and in spite of your stellar academic record, We here at UIUC really just don't want you on campus.

Sincerely,

All of UIUC.

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:26 pm

bergg007 wrote:It's amazing how polite everyone is on this forum because they know they are being watched. Dean Pless, do you surf the forums on TLS at all or do you just stick to the Illinois stuff? I just wonder because most people put out enough information about themselves for you to research them and figure out which applicant they are, though I highly doubt you would have time to do this. I just think it's be a funny thing to send in a rejection packet;

John Doe,

We regret to inform you that we will not be offering enrollment to you at this time because you are a troll. UIUC does not look kindly on trolling and in spite of your stellar academic record, We here at UIUC really just don't want you on campus.

Sincerely,

All of UIUC.
I think it is important to always be yourself though. I mean in many way I understand people being nice etc because an admission's dean is here, but it seems a little naive to think that if you act differently from one thread to another that someone couldn't simply click on your profile and look through your posts. Just be yourself.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:46 pm

I don't really spend a lot of time in other threads, but occasionally I peek in. I really don't have the time or inclination to track people down. Some times people out themselves to me on purpose. In general though, I think people should just be nice, whether or not I am here.

As for when you will go into review, I will have a better idea of dates during the first week of December.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:47 pm

bergg007 wrote:It's amazing how polite everyone is on this forum because they know they are being watched. Dean Pless, do you surf the forums on TLS at all or do you just stick to the Illinois stuff? I just wonder because most people put out enough information about themselves for you to research them and figure out which applicant they are, though I highly doubt you would have time to do this. I just think it's be a funny thing to send in a rejection packet;

John Doe,

Sincerely,

All of UIUC.
I'm positive it won't happen here since I know our admissions staff is too busy to bother figuring out who is who, but it did happen (and with funny consequences...) a little while ago with a "job" opportunity.

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/02/flame-wa ... w-schools/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”