U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:26 pm

flgator10 wrote:
No recorded scores yet, just PTs. I completely agree. It's frustrating for me that I worked my ass off for 4 years at UF, but they won't even consider me if my LSAT score isn't good enough. I remember having the same problem when applying for undergrad with my SAT score. I'm terrible at standardized tests and thought for sure I wouldn't get in, but somehow I did.....so here's to hoping I have similar luck this time around!

If it makes you feel better, a friend of mine went to UG and got his masters at UF, with pretty much a 4.0 in both. Got a 157, was waitlisted, and then accepted over summer. So ultimately, it's doable.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:33 pm

Hey Ill be applying to UF myself pending my lsat in a month (excited :D)

My gpa is borderline 3.0 (2.83 right now, hopefully with the 5 classes Im taking now it will rise)

My lsat preptests have been pretty consistent now... 166-168 still waiting for the 170 breakthrough and working hard on it.

I have 3 LOR's that Im planning on getting, 2 from my legal professors and one from my logic professor who's class I excelled in so hopefully he could write something exceptional!

I was thinking about swapping one letter (the weakest one) out for a LOR from my boss, Ive been working at starbucks for 2 years now on campus, for the sole reason that the job actually reimburses my tuition (depending on some stringent factors such as a minimum hourly work requirement by week, etc.)

All of my shitty grades have been in sciences or maths, and I have never gotten anything less than a B in all my legal/major related classes.

I am Colombian, and both my parents are from south america. While i was born and raised in miami, I was hoping to write a DS and an addendum explaining my grades, but im not sure a DS would help at UF considering the significant percentage of minorities in comparison to other schools.

**not to mention that im not even quite sure what my chances are with a "worst case scenario" 2.8 gpa and a 166 on the lsat.... I woudl most definitely retake in december if i do not reach at minimum the 168 mark.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:58 pm

Dripworx:

Is columbian considered a URM? If so, you should be okay with your PT range. If not, there are a significant number (actually all) WL and dings with sub 2.9 GPA. It seems that even 168 and 166 last year weren't accepted with ~2.9s. UF is one of the only schools that actually does put at least a little emphasis on GPA that I am applying to, it seems. In one semester, though, I took 21 credit hours and brought my 2.9 to a 3.1. I got straight As and 2 A+ to do that. It is doable, but will be tough. Consider picking up another (fluff) course... maybe online.

tebow4president

Postby tebow4president » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:40 pm

applying to only fl and nc schools for tuition purposes. currently a sr at uf. stats are 3.16/164. UF is currently top choice followed by UNC at 2, and then the rest of the florida schools.

gl to everyone. hit me up if you have any Qs about gainesville in general.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:53 pm

tebow4president wrote:applying to only fl and nc schools for tuition purposes. currently a sr at uf. stats are 3.16/164. UF is currently top choice followed by UNC at 2, and then the rest of the florida schools.

Also a 4th year here... I'm afraid football season is going to get in the way of my apps haha... good luck

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:58 pm

tebow4president wrote:applying to only fl and nc schools for tuition purposes. currently a sr at uf. stats are 3.16/164. UF is currently top choice followed by UNC at 2, and then the rest of the florida schools.

GoodLuck!! I think you're a lock for UF! UNC is a hard bargain because of the in state preference. Are you considering FSU at all? If they offered you scholly money?

Classygal87

Postby Classygal87 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Hey
I am from FL and UF is definitely a strong choice for me.
I have a 3.9 LSAC GPA and got a 159 on the June LSAT
I played D1 basketball in college and have interned with a corporate lawyer
along with some other pretty good softs.
What do you guys think of my chances as they currently are?

* I am retaking my LSAT in October currently at a 163 consistently on PT's (but I want to know what you guys think of my chances as they currently stand)

I am a die hard UF fan I would of gone there for my undergrad if it wasn't for the fact I wanted to play D1
basketball and I wouldn't of gotten a full scholarship on UF's girl teams (I played for a mid-major)
But I haven't heard good things about UF law. I have heard that the students aren't friendly towards each other
and that the classes are just lecture/test but in a monotonous boring lecture way (idk if that makes sense that's
just how it was described to me). If any current UF law students could talk a little about the culture
and the classes I would appreciate it!

Good luck to everyone!
Go Gators!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:23 pm

Classygal87 wrote:Hey
I am from FL and UF is definitely a strong choice for me.
I have a 3.9 LSAC GPA and got a 159 on the June LSAT
I played D1 basketball in college and have interned with a corporate lawyer
along with some other pretty good softs.
What do you guys think of my chances as they currently are?

* I am retaking my LSAT in October currently at a 163 consistently on PT's (but I want to know what you guys think of my chances as they currently stand)

I am a die hard UF fan I would of gone there for my undergrad if it wasn't for the fact I wanted to play D1
basketball and I wouldn't of gotten a full scholarship on UF's girl teams (I played for a mid-major)
But I haven't heard good things about UF law. I have heard that the students aren't friendly towards each other
and that the classes are just lecture/test but in a monotonous boring lecture way (idk if that makes sense that's
just how it was described to me). If any current UF law students could talk a little about the culture
and the classes I would appreciate it!

Good luck to everyone!
Go Gators!

I think you have a solid shot!!! A friend of mine who went to UF undergrad and masters with a 4.0 and a 157 got waitlisted, but accepted in June! I think that is kind of your worst-case-scenerio. Get your application in early!!! 163 you would be a lock for sure, but I would still get your app in early. When I visited UF and talked to the really nice adcomm, he told me, even though I am retaking, to submit with my current score VERY early and I should be fine. He said not to rely on doing better when you have numbers that make you competitive!

Classygal87

Postby Classygal87 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Thanks! Im going to try and get my apps in as early as possible!

tebow4president

Postby tebow4president » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Barbie wrote:

GoodLuck!! I think you're a lock for UF! UNC is a hard bargain because of the in state preference. Are you considering FSU at all? If they offered you scholly money?

its a really weird situation, but i qualify for instate at UNC as well.

should have noted that im considering every FL school except FSU. would never go there under any circumstances. lol. not even for scholly money.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:51 pm

tebow4president wrote:
Barbie wrote:

should have noted that im considering every FL school except FSU. would never go there under any circumstances. lol. not even for scholly money.

hahaha ok ok. This is the UF thread, I expect some FSU bashing :) I went to neither for UG so I'm applying to both.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Tim Tebow sucks.

That is all...

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:51 pm

gdane5 wrote:Tim Tebow sucks.

That is all...

I'd probably hate him too if I were on the receiving end of his 3 year dominance of the college football world.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:55 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Tim Tebow sucks.

That is all...

I'd probably hate him too if I were on the receiving end of his 3 year dominance of the college football world teams dominance with him along for the ride as Urban Meyers system QB.

tebow4president

Postby tebow4president » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:04 pm

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

thats the most delusional fyp ive ever seen. nice try though

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:31 pm

tebow4president wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Same here. Don't think I could ever go to FSU after being a gator for 4 years!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:09 pm

flgator10 wrote:
tebow4president wrote:

Same here. Don't think I could ever go to FSU after being a gator for 4 years!

Hey gators, tell us what you know about the lifestyle and social aspects of UF. Try to put a LS perspective? For example, I have a boyfriend of 3+ years that I will be bringing. We want a small, nice house that isn't surrounded by UG students. Is that available? But I am young, being 22, and do like to go out and have a good time! Are there good young-adult bars, maybe not geared towards the UG crowd?

tebow4president

Postby tebow4president » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:22 pm

Hey gators, tell us what you know about the lifestyle and social aspects of UF. Try to put a LS perspective? For example, I have a boyfriend of 3+ years that I will be bringing. We want a small, nice house that isn't surrounded by UG students. Is that available? But I am young, being 22, and do like to go out and have a good time! Are there good young-adult bars, maybe not geared towards the UG crowd?

Definitely going to be available. The issue is, the LS is pretty much right next to the football stadium and thus surrounded by undergrad students. So if you want it in a more quiet area you will have a slightly longer commute as opposed to possibly walking.

The more adult oriented places/bars are downtown as opposed to midtown. Midtown is basically the strip of bars that are across the street from the football stadium. In a college town like Gainesville (newly ranked the number 1 college town in america SHIPPPP IT) the 2 aren't very far apart - like 2 miles down the same road lol.

If you are willing to look at a townhouse/apartment as opposed to a small house, your options would increase tenfold and you would be able to find something closer. There are a bunch of places downtown that are very nice, very quiet (except for friday/saturday nights) and basically perfect for graduate students.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:24 pm

tebow4president wrote:

Definitely going to be available. The issue is, the LS is pretty much right next to the football stadium and thus surrounded by undergrad students. So if you want it in a more quiet area you will have a slightly longer commute as opposed to possibly walking.

The more adult oriented places/bars are downtown as opposed to midtown. Midtown is basically the strip of bars that are across the street from the football stadium. In a college town like Gainesville (newly ranked the number 1 college town in america SHIPPPP IT) the 2 aren't very far apart - like 2 miles down the same road lol.

If you are willing to look at a townhouse/apartment as opposed to a small house, your options would increase tenfold and you would be able to find something closer. There are a bunch of places downtown that are very nice, very quiet (except for friday/saturday nights) and basically perfect for graduate students.

We have a dog and plan to get 2 more big dogs so we really wanted a yard, but would be willing to look at town houses with yards! This is all pending my acceptance to UF, of course :)

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:29 pm

Barbie wrote:
tebow4president wrote:

We have a dog and plan to get 2 more big dogs so we really wanted a yard, but would be willing to look at town houses with yards! This is all pending my acceptance to UF, of course :)

Hey UF is my #1 choice and I'm looking for a lot of the same things you are in a place to live. Have you checked out the Haile Plantation? It's a bit of a drive from the campus, but it's really nice and quiet and you don't have to worry about noise (even on the weekends). Also, it's a little more expensive but IMHO well worth it.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:33 pm

ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Hey UF is my #1 choice and I'm looking for a lot of the same things you are in a place to live. Have you checked out the Haile Plantation? It's a bit of a drive from the campus, but it's really nice and quiet and you don't have to worry about noise (even on the weekends). Also, it's a little more expensive but IMHO well worth it.

Thanks! I haven't. With just my boyfriend and I, we typically like to only pay around 1,000. We could probably go up to 1,200 though, without utilities.

Care to share your numbers?

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Barbie wrote:
ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Thanks! I haven't. With just my boyfriend and I, we typically like to only pay around 1,000. We could probably go up to 1,200 though, without utilities.

Then it's in your price range if you find the right deal. Personally, I don't mind having a 15-20 min drive because I do not want to live with a bunch of undergrads anymore (since I am right now and have been for the past 3 years), and I know I can home and sleep/study whenever I want without noise. I'm one of those paranoid people who doesn't wanna post #s, but I'm slightly below the LSAT median and above the GPA median. But I'm applying the first day we can (the 7th I think) so I'm hoping for the best. What are your #s?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:38 pm

ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Then it's in your price range if you find the right deal. Personally, I don't mind having a 15-20 min drive because I do not want to live with a bunch of undergrads anymore (since I am right now and have been for the past 3 years), and I know I can home and sleep/study whenever I want without noise. I'm one of those paranoid people who doesn't wanna post #s, but I'm slightly below the LSAT median and above the GPA median. But I'm applying the first day we can (the 7th I think) so I'm hoping for the best. What are your #s?

3.3/163. So, 75 percentile in LSAT, below 25th in GPA... so I'm worried and applying the minute my transcripts update! they are in the maill...

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:41 pm

I hate waiting for crap in the mail. One of my recs took like 16 days to show up on the lsac website. Is UF your first choice, and are you in state?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:55 pm

ns77770 wrote:I hate waiting for crap in the mail. One of my recs took like 16 days to show up on the lsac website. Is UF your first choice, and are you in state?

I am in state... and aside from my big reaches it is my first choice. I am retaking the LSAT in October so that might change things, but it is def the best deal in Florida.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”