U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Neo
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Neo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:57 pm

Is there any indication on how long it will be until the next batch of notifications are released?

Barbie, I am assuming you may be able to answer this question best as you most likely have spent the most time stalking the threads from previous years...

User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby jr1886 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Neo wrote:Is there any indication on how long it will be until the next batch of notifications are released?

Barbie, I am assuming you may be able to answer this question best as you most likely have spent the most time stalking the threads from previous years...

Tomorrow if the past was a pattern.

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Neo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:58 pm

jr1886 wrote:
Neo wrote:Is there any indication on how long it will be until the next batch of notifications are released?

Barbie, I am assuming you may be able to answer this question best as you most likely have spent the most time stalking the threads from previous years...

Tomorrow if the past was a pattern.



I really hope you're not kidding...

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Neo wrote:
jr1886 wrote:
Neo wrote:Is there any indication on how long it will be until the next batch of notifications are released?

Barbie, I am assuming you may be able to answer this question best as you most likely have spent the most time stalking the threads from previous years...

Tomorrow if the past was a pattern.



I really hope you're not kidding...


Haha I'm not sure. I think it was pretty often though. Every other week or so. Then after December it seemed to go in a pattern, with acceptances being somewhat random, then a group of rejections, then a group of WL.

User avatar
plt06
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby plt06 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:36 pm

I'd love it if I could find out before winter break. They've had "final decision pending" on my status since mid-October. They admitted me last year but wouldn't let me defer (after telling me throughout the application and visit process that it wouldn't be an issue). I don't see how their decision could be all that difficult.

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby alicrimson » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:08 am

plt06 wrote:I'd love it if I could find out before winter break. They've had "final decision pending" on my status since mid-October. They admitted me last year but wouldn't let me defer (after telling me throughout the application and visit process that it wouldn't be an issue). I don't see how their decision could be all that difficult.



I would like to know before Christmas.lol. Gah, so stressful. I dislike the waiting game;however, I have two acceptances so far so I know I'm going to school somewhere.lol.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby kwais » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:20 am

hurricane10 wrote:anyone know what the living situation is for law students at UF? Is there a certain area/complex that most of the law/grad school kids live? Do most people live alone or have roommates? I heard Gainesville is pretty inexpensive but I just want to be prepared as possible when I visit since it's a pretty long drive from south florida.

I rent a 1/1 within 2 blocks of campus for 550 + utilities. That's not exactly typical but it does exist. Like others said, SW 2nd AVE, where the law school is, has a ton of houses that law students live in, but anything in Midtown or near Westgate Plaza is within a 3 minute drive, 5 minute bike and 15 minute walk. Also I got my last 2 apartments here from Craigslist and was very satisfied. People will warn you about Paradigm Properties as they are the big shadowy company that owns 2/3 of Gainesville. most of the warnings are founded.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:34 am

kwais wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:anyone know what the living situation is for law students at UF? Is there a certain area/complex that most of the law/grad school kids live? Do most people live alone or have roommates? I heard Gainesville is pretty inexpensive but I just want to be prepared as possible when I visit since it's a pretty long drive from south florida.

I rent a 1/1 within 2 blocks of campus for 550 + utilities. That's not exactly typical but it does exist. Like others said, SW 2nd AVE, where the law school is, has a ton of houses that law students live in, but anything in Midtown or near Westgate Plaza is within a 3 minute drive, 5 minute bike and 15 minute walk. Also I got my last 2 apartments here from Craigslist and was very satisfied. People will warn you about Paradigm Properties as they are the big shadowy company that owns 2/3 of Gainesville. most of the warnings are founded.


Random question: My boyfriend is graduating with a degree in business management. He can't come with me to Gville unless he finds employment. He simply needs something full time that will pay enough to fund our rent, utils, food, etc. How is the job market there for things like that? Realistically, he could probably manage a bar or something and be happy.. or a decent restaurant. Is it a struggle to find something like this or do you think he will be pretty successful?

Why: If he can't come with me, I have no idea what I'll do living wise. I've lived with him 3.5 years now. I've never lived by myself and the thought freaks me out being a girl and all... and if I live with others I definitly want a house.. a NICE house that would cost @ 500+utils per person. AND I think it would be hard to find someone who will live with me considering I have 3 pets (at least 2 would come with me). Ughh... haha

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby minuit » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:37 am

plt06 wrote:I'd love it if I could find out before winter break. They've had "final decision pending" on my status since mid-October. They admitted me last year but wouldn't let me defer (after telling me throughout the application and visit process that it wouldn't be an issue). I don't see how their decision could be all that difficult.


wow, that's some bs. i'd be a little pissed if i were you.

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Neo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:47 am

kwais wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:anyone know what the living situation is for law students at UF? Is there a certain area/complex that most of the law/grad school kids live? Do most people live alone or have roommates? I heard Gainesville is pretty inexpensive but I just want to be prepared as possible when I visit since it's a pretty long drive from south florida.

I rent a 1/1 within 2 blocks of campus for 550 + utilities. That's not exactly typical but it does exist. Like others said, SW 2nd AVE, where the law school is, has a ton of houses that law students live in, but anything in Midtown or near Westgate Plaza is within a 3 minute drive, 5 minute bike and 15 minute walk. Also I got my last 2 apartments here from Craigslist and was very satisfied. People will warn you about Paradigm Properties as they are the big shadowy company that owns 2/3 of Gainesville. most of the warnings are founded.



Just out of curiosity, how big is your one bedroom?

I agree with trying to avoid Paradigm Properties. I live in one of their buildings in Tallahassee. The property is beautify and the apartments are spacious; however, the walls are paper thin and the management sucks. If the properties are built like they are here and if they have the same management practices, I would definitely stay away.

User avatar
gov
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby gov » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:48 am

Neo wrote:
kwais wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:anyone know what the living situation is for law students at UF? Is there a certain area/complex that most of the law/grad school kids live? Do most people live alone or have roommates? I heard Gainesville is pretty inexpensive but I just want to be prepared as possible when I visit since it's a pretty long drive from south florida.

I rent a 1/1 within 2 blocks of campus for 550 + utilities. That's not exactly typical but it does exist. Like others said, SW 2nd AVE, where the law school is, has a ton of houses that law students live in, but anything in Midtown or near Westgate Plaza is within a 3 minute drive, 5 minute bike and 15 minute walk. Also I got my last 2 apartments here from Craigslist and was very satisfied. People will warn you about Paradigm Properties as they are the big shadowy company that owns 2/3 of Gainesville. most of the warnings are founded.



Just out of curiosity, how big is your one bedroom?

I agree with trying to avoid Paradigm Properties. I live in one of their buildings in Tallahassee. The property is beautify and the apartments are spacious; however, the walls are paper thin and the management sucks. If the properties are built like they are here and if they have the same management practices, I would definitely stay away.


I can't stand half of the apartment companies in Tallahassee!

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby kwais » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Neo wrote:
kwais wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:anyone know what the living situation is for law students at UF? Is there a certain area/complex that most of the law/grad school kids live? Do most people live alone or have roommates? I heard Gainesville is pretty inexpensive but I just want to be prepared as possible when I visit since it's a pretty long drive from south florida.

I rent a 1/1 within 2 blocks of campus for 550 + utilities. That's not exactly typical but it does exist. Like others said, SW 2nd AVE, where the law school is, has a ton of houses that law students live in, but anything in Midtown or near Westgate Plaza is within a 3 minute drive, 5 minute bike and 15 minute walk. Also I got my last 2 apartments here from Craigslist and was very satisfied. People will warn you about Paradigm Properties as they are the big shadowy company that owns 2/3 of Gainesville. most of the warnings are founded.



Just out of curiosity, how big is your one bedroom?

I agree with trying to avoid Paradigm Properties. I live in one of their buildings in Tallahassee. The property is beautify and the apartments are spacious; however, the walls are paper thin and the management sucks. If the properties are built like they are here and if they have the same management practices, I would definitely stay away.


I don't know the square footage off hand, but it is more than enough for me. tiny kitchen but big living room and moderate bedroom. I pay almost nothing in utilities so I think its the best deal in town.
also beware (to all), transportation is very good here, but many apartments claim to be really close to campus, or just a direct bus line away when in reality you are looking at 30-40 mins each way on the bus when accounting for waiting time + stops. then again some people like those apartment complexes alot. they are usually nicer and cheaper. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and walk to school in 5 minutes

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby alicrimson » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:55 pm

kwais wrote:
Neo wrote:
kwais wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:anyone know what the living situation is for law students at UF? Is there a certain area/complex that most of the law/grad school kids live? Do most people live alone or have roommates? I heard Gainesville is pretty inexpensive but I just want to be prepared as possible when I visit since it's a pretty long drive from south florida.

I rent a 1/1 within 2 blocks of campus for 550 + utilities. That's not exactly typical but it does exist. Like others said, SW 2nd AVE, where the law school is, has a ton of houses that law students live in, but anything in Midtown or near Westgate Plaza is within a 3 minute drive, 5 minute bike and 15 minute walk. Also I got my last 2 apartments here from Craigslist and was very satisfied. People will warn you about Paradigm Properties as they are the big shadowy company that owns 2/3 of Gainesville. most of the warnings are founded.



Just out of curiosity, how big is your one bedroom?

I agree with trying to avoid Paradigm Properties. I live in one of their buildings in Tallahassee. The property is beautify and the apartments are spacious; however, the walls are paper thin and the management sucks. If the properties are built like they are here and if they have the same management practices, I would definitely stay away.


I don't know the square footage off hand, but it is more than enough for me. tiny kitchen but big living room and moderate bedroom. I pay almost nothing in utilities so I think its the best deal in town.
also beware (to all), transportation is very good here, but many apartments claim to be really close to campus, or just a direct bus line away when in reality you are looking at 30-40 mins each way on the bus when accounting for waiting time + stops. then again some people like those apartment complexes alot. they are usually nicer and cheaper. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and walk to school in 5 minutes



IE: The Woodlands.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Review complete, decision pending as of today 11/30.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Any UFers can answer my employment question pls? :D

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby kwais » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:54 pm

Barbie wrote:Any UFers can answer my employment question pls? :D


I can't say for sure, but my impression is that employment opportunities are shit here. Then again there might be higher turnover considering the population demographic. Managing a restaurant? bar? maybe, there are a lot of those here. But again, this town consists of the university, the services that serve it (food, drink etc.) and that's about it. Without those, it would be a big cow field.
Lesser jobs, such as waiting tables, might really enjoy having someone with excellent availability, but I don't know if your boyfriend would want that sort of work.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby kwais » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:54 pm

alicrimson wrote:

IE: The Woodlands.


Bingo

User avatar
Aro5389
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:35 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Aro5389 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:06 pm

Hey just saw this thread,

I'll be applying in early-mid January. Waiting to take December LSAT and will have all my materials ready by the time LSAC releases scores.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:07 pm

kwais wrote:
Barbie wrote:Any UFers can answer my employment question pls? :D


I can't say for sure, but my impression is that employment opportunities are shit here. Then again there might be higher turnover considering the population demographic. Managing a restaurant? bar? maybe, there are a lot of those here. But again, this town consists of the university, the services that serve it (food, drink etc.) and that's about it. Without those, it would be a big cow field.
Lesser jobs, such as waiting tables, might really enjoy having someone with excellent availability, but I don't know if your boyfriend would want that sort of work.


Yeah... waitressing isn't really what he wants to do at all. Managing at least has SOMETHING to do with his degree and could be seen as experience haha. I guess he will have to send out some applications and find out

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby kwais » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Barbie wrote:
kwais wrote:
Barbie wrote:Any UFers can answer my employment question pls? :D


I can't say for sure, but my impression is that employment opportunities are shit here. Then again there might be higher turnover considering the population demographic. Managing a restaurant? bar? maybe, there are a lot of those here. But again, this town consists of the university, the services that serve it (food, drink etc.) and that's about it. Without those, it would be a big cow field.
Lesser jobs, such as waiting tables, might really enjoy having someone with excellent availability, but I don't know if your boyfriend would want that sort of work.


Yeah... waitressing isn't really what he wants to do at all. Managing at least has SOMETHING to do with his degree and could be seen as experience haha. I guess he will have to send out some applications and find out


It's definitely worth a try.
Also, there are a ton of safe, pet friendly, clean apartments and houses around here for that budget.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:13 pm

kwais wrote:It's definitely worth a try.
Also, there are a ton of safe, pet friendly, clean apartments and houses around here for that budget.


I looked at some craigslist adds. Some pretty nice houses available. I want a 3 bedroom with a big yard for my dogs. I would preferably pay @ 1100 for it but could go up to 1400 :) There seemed to be a handful of options. Are the options similarly plentiful around August? Or do they run out :(

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby kwais » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Barbie wrote:
kwais wrote:It's definitely worth a try.
Also, there are a ton of safe, pet friendly, clean apartments and houses around here for that budget.


I looked at some craigslist adds. Some pretty nice houses available. I want a 3 bedroom with a big yard for my dogs. I would preferably pay @ 1100 for it but could go up to 1400 :) There seemed to be a handful of options. Are the options similarly plentiful around August? Or do they run out :(


Houses with yards near the law school under 1400 will certainly dry up in the summer. Housing in general is usually always plentiful. Occasionally prices drop in august as landlords get desperate

User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby jr1886 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Review Complete, decision pending since 11/23. Come on UF!!!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:23 pm

kwais wrote:Houses with yards near the law school under 1400 will certainly dry up in the summer. Housing in general is usually always plentiful. Occasionally prices drop in august as landlords get desperate


Bummer!! I'll have to go down and try to sign a lease with one once I figure out if I am for sure going to UF! April haggling :)

User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby jr1886 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:30 pm

For housing, I heard Casabella is pretty good but pricey. I never lived there so take this with a grain of salt.

I, however, lived a t Lexington Crossing for Undergrad---10 minutes from the law School. It's cheap, and spacious. Yet, I don't think a law student should live there. Too many undergrads and patries. If I get to go to UF for Law, i would probably live at Casabella.
Without those[UF + services], it[Gainesville] would be a big cow field.

Lmao
Last edited by jr1886 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackpi, cyclawps, DoYouEvenTLS, hellohalo, KatCoco, lazarzhr, luckydayahead, michelekfla, ohgosh, smashbash and 11 guests