U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:41 pm

I am also curious about the environment! One of the things that is attracting me to FSU is the comfortable and social student life, from what I can gather. There are tons of social events there, law school club sports, etc. Does UF offer anything like this? When I toured UF, the lady who gave me the tour had no idea. I really like to get to know my classmates and, regardless of how much schoolwork I have, will always have a rather social side.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:28 am

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:35 am

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poo

Postby poo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:47 pm

AJaKe wrote:
poo wrote:
mistergoft wrote:Hey guys,

I am a 2L here at UF and may be able to answer any questions you have. I am going to be incredibly busy with classes starting and oci but I'll try to check back here with some sort of regularity. Good luck with applications!

Hey thanks for taking questions.

I was just wondering what other schools you were considering (FSU?) and why you decided on UF. Thanks!

I'm going to hijack this for a moment because I did consider FSU. I was all set to go, deposit down, looking for apartments when I got off the WL at UF.

The predominant reason to go to UF over FSU is that overall it has a better quality of school and the alumni system is top notch. The professors work hard to help you find clerkships or internships and are more than willing to make a call or write a letter to help ... provided you weren't a completely terrible student. You have a greater probability of getting a job out of UF than out of FSU. Unless, you want to work in the government, in which case FSU is strong in that regard if only because of the location in the state's capitol.

It also helped that they cost about the same, but UF actually gave me $$. FSU is a /great/ school and a lovely campus, but UF is the top school in Florida by far.

However, Tallahassee > Gainesville.

Thanks for the response!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:35 pm

AJaKe wrote:
poo wrote:
mistergoft wrote:Hey guys,

I am a 2L here at UF and may be able to answer any questions you have. I am going to be incredibly busy with classes starting and oci but I'll try to check back here with some sort of regularity. Good luck with applications!

Hey thanks for taking questions.

I was just wondering what other schools you were considering (FSU?) and why you decided on UF. Thanks!

I'm going to hijack this for a moment because I did consider FSU. I was all set to go, deposit down, looking for apartments when I got off the WL at UF.

The predominant reason to go to UF over FSU is that overall it has a better quality of school and the alumni system is top notch. The professors work hard to help you find clerkships or internships and are more than willing to make a call or write a letter to help ... provided you weren't a completely terrible student. You have a greater probability of getting a job out of UF than out of FSU. Unless, you want to work in the government, in which case FSU is strong in that regard if only because of the location in the state's capitol.

It also helped that they cost about the same, but UF actually gave me $$. FSU is a /great/ school and a lovely campus, but UF is the top school in Florida by far.

However, Tallahassee > Gainesville.

Thanks for your honesty :) I Pmed you also!

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:53 pm

Hey guys, I'll also be applying to UF. Just graduated from there for undergrad and it is my first choice for law school. I'm taking the LSAT in October and already freaking out about it! Good luck to everyone!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:53 am

flgator10 wrote:Hey guys, I'll also be applying to UF. Just graduated from there for undergrad and it is my first choice for law school. I'm taking the LSAT in October and already freaking out about it! Good luck to everyone!

good luck!! fellow english major here :)

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:21 pm

Barbie wrote:
flgator10 wrote:Hey guys, I'll also be applying to UF. Just graduated from there for undergrad and it is my first choice for law school. I'm taking the LSAT in October and already freaking out about it! Good luck to everyone!

I sure hope they like English majors! Are you from Florida too?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:47 pm

flgator10 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Sure am! I'm a English major and philosophy minor so, I hope they like readers/writers haha.
Want to share your #s?

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:50 pm

Barbie wrote:
flgator10 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Sure am! I'm a English major and philosophy minor so, I hope they like readers/writers haha.
Want to share your #s?

I have a 3.83 GPA but unfortunately, I suck at the LSAT. I haven't taken it yet...studying for the October exam now, but I've only been scoring in the mid 150's on my practice tests. :( Hoping to at least come up a few points before October.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:52 pm

flgator10 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
flgator10 wrote:I sure hope they like English majors! Are you from Florida too?

Want to share your #s?

I have a 3.83 GPA but unfortunately, I suck at the LSAT. I haven't taken it yet...studying for the October exam now, but I've only been scoring in the mid 150's on my practice tests. :( Hoping to at least come up a few points before October.

Don't worry too much about it. I didn't even study the first time aside from taking a few practice tests, and scored in the 150's on all of them except the last one. Then got a 163 on test day. I'm taking in October also, and still haven't started studying yet. Yikes.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:36 pm

Barbie wrote:
flgator10 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
flgator10 wrote:I sure hope they like English majors! Are you from Florida too?

Want to share your #s?

Don't worry too much about it. I didn't even study the first time aside from taking a few practice tests, and scored in the 150's on all of them except the last one. Then got a 163 on test day. I'm taking in October also, and still haven't started studying yet. Yikes.

Yes! There is hope for me! Thank you, that really does make me feel at least a little better.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:25 am

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:13 pm

flgator10 wrote:

That's a great GPA. My first PT was 155, and after all studying it was a 168. You'll be fine I'm sure... with that GPA, you should be a shoe-in with a 162+

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:38 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
flgator10 wrote:

That's a great GPA. My first PT was 155, and after all studying it was a 168. You'll be fine I'm sure... with that GPA, you should be a shoe-in with a 162+

Thanks, now it is just getting to a 162+ that I have to worry about.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:25 pm

flgator10 wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
flgator10 wrote:

I start studying on Thursdayyyy! hopefully... and I'm starting with a score lower than I actually got (158 on my PT the other dayyyy....) so hopefully the LGB and some more practice can bump me up to 165+. I'm still submitting my app to UF once my transcripts update (hopefully by end of sept!) and crossing my fingers. I don't expect to be an auto ding either way so worst case is prob a WL which I can update if my new LSAT score is higher. Here's to hoping for an ADMIT anyways!

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:39 pm

Barbie wrote:
flgator10 wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
flgator10 wrote:

I start studying on Thursdayyyy! hopefully... and I'm starting with a score lower than I actually got (158 on my PT the other dayyyy....) so hopefully the LGB and some more practice can bump me up to 165+. I'm still submitting my app to UF once my transcripts update (hopefully by end of sept!) and crossing my fingers. I don't expect to be an auto ding either way so worst case is prob a WL which I can update if my new LSAT score is higher. Here's to hoping for an ADMIT anyways!

I'm going to start the LGB soon too. I have been doing terribly on games lately, and that is my favorite section! I've heard so many great things about the LGB so I'm hoping it works for me too. With a 165+ you shouldn't have anything to worry about! Hope your studying goes well!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:06 pm

flgator10 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
flgator10 wrote:

I'm going to start the LGB soon too. I have been doing terribly on games lately, and that is my favorite section! I've heard so many great things about the LGB so I'm hoping it works for me too. With a 165+ you shouldn't have anything to worry about! Hope your studying goes well!

Does anyone really know whether UF is LSAT or GPA heavy? I know FSU is veeeeery LSAT heavy (even though they take degree OR cum. GPA, which is shweet).

I spoke briefly with one of the adcomms, a really cool black guy... can't remember his name... and he was helpful and made me feel confident about my #s regardless of my low GPA, but I didn't specifically ask :(

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:21 pm

LSAT. From a glance at LSN's graph, GPA seems to go out the window at 162+. Additionally, I have a couple of friends in there now that I know for a fact had sub-3.5s. Their LSATs ranged from 160-164. I don't know if they got a UF undergrad boost, but it seems once you clear 162 (which you did) then you've got a great chance. Honestly, with an early app. and your GPA addendum (I think I remember reading it), I have you as a lock.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:22 pm

Barbie wrote:
flgator10 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
flgator10 wrote:

Does anyone really know whether UF is LSAT or GPA heavy? I know FSU is veeeeery LSAT heavy (even though they take degree OR cum. GPA, which is shweet).

I spoke briefly with one of the adcomms, a really cool black guy... can't remember his name... and he was helpful and made me feel confident about my #s regardless of my low GPA, but I didn't specifically ask :(

I'm not sure either. I've talked to many pre-law advisers at UF and to some of the representatives and they all pretty much say the same thing, that UF looks at each applicant as a whole and takes everything into consideration.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:25 pm

flgator10 wrote:
I'm not sure either. I've talked to many pre-law advisers at UF and to some of the representatives and they all pretty much say the same thing, that UF looks at each applicant as a whole and takes everything into consideration.

I waited 2 or so hours to speak with an advisor back in the day and literally got nothing out of it. Now anytime someone younger than me asks about the pre-law process, I point them in this site's direction.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:15 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
flgator10 wrote:

I waited 2 or so hours to speak with an advisor back in the day and literally got nothing out of it. Now anytime someone younger than me asks about the pre-law process, I point them in this site's direction.

I have the guy who I spoke with's email address if anyone wants to message him PM me for it.

and I hope that I am a lock! Even if they go up a year, and its 163+ that gets the GPA "pass" per say, that'll work for me! I feel like the 163s with lower GPAs are at risk for a WL. Especially sub 3.0. I'm hoping a 3.3 will be seen as mediocre at worst considering my situation. Come on UF!!!

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:53 pm

Barbie wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
flgator10 wrote:

I have the guy who I spoke with's email address if anyone wants to message him PM me for it.

and I hope that I am a lock! Even if they go up a year, and its 163+ that gets the GPA "pass" per say, that'll work for me! I feel like the 163s with lower GPAs are at risk for a WL. Especially sub 3.0. I'm hoping a 3.3 will be seen as mediocre at worst considering my situation. Come on UF!!!

I agree that once you have a certain LSAT score, they don't really care as much about your GPA. I have a friend who got in last year with a really good LSAT score and a not so great GPA. I, however, wish they would overlook my mediocre LSAT score (that hopefully won't be as mediocre come October) and let me in based on my GPA.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:56 pm

flgator10 wrote:
I agree that once you have a certain LSAT score, they don't really care as much about your GPA. I have a friend who got in last year with a really good LSAT score and a not so great GPA. I, however, wish they would overlook my mediocre LSAT score (that hopefully won't be as mediocre come October) and let me in based on my GPA.

Do you already have an LSAT score on record? or are you just going off of what you have been PTing?

GPA will speak for a lot, I think, but it seems that admissions these days are based off of test scores. I find it strange, that a 5 hour test outweighs 4 years of an academic performance....

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:01 pm

Barbie wrote:
flgator10 wrote:

Do you already have an LSAT score on record? or are you just going off of what you have been PTing?

GPA will speak for a lot, I think, but it seems that admissions these days are based off of test scores. I find it strange, that a 5 hour test outweighs 4 years of an academic performance....

No recorded scores yet, just PTs. I completely agree. It's frustrating for me that I worked my ass off for 4 years at UF, but they won't even consider me if my LSAT score isn't good enough. I remember having the same problem when applying for undergrad with my SAT score. I'm terrible at standardized tests and thought for sure I wouldn't get in, but somehow I did.....so here's to hoping I have similar luck this time around!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”