U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Neo

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Neo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:09 pm

mst wrote:
Neo wrote:
mst wrote:I can't bring myself to finish my UF application. I'm in auto-admit territory but it's just such a hassle to have to write an ENTIRELY new personal statement for one school that is well below my numbers, but is obviously the best choice in FL should I decide to stay here. God, I'm lazy.

Then do us a favor and don't finish the application. If you don't want to attend UF and feel like your numbers are "too good" then don't apply. If you are an auto-admit, give the seat to someone who really wants it and actually deserves it. You'll save yourself the time and help someone else out.

By the way, no one wants to do any extra work. But we do it because we want to achieve our goals. If you are being lazy about the application process, do yourself a favor and don't bother attending law school. Something tells me laziness won't get you very far.

Oh grow up people and stop being overly-sensitive. Just because I complain that UF has a VERY stupid requirement for its personal statement when almost every other peer school allows general topics doesn't mean you have to get upset with me for being "lazy" and "disrespectful". I'm sorry that you put a shit-ton of work into this application and might not get in. That sucks. It does. I wish I knew what it felt like. Except, wait: I DO. I'm applying to well over 20 law schools, a good deal of which I stand no chance of getting into. Do you think that's in any way EASY? I'm not a complete douche who thinks he's too good for UF, I'm just pissed that I have to completely rework 1/3 of my entire application for one particular school for no good reason.

I don't understand why you feel the need to get personally offended by that (and go on to attack my character) rather than just say "Well, yeah, it sucks. In fact, we wouldn't have had to put a lot into this particular application if UF would just fit the standards that every other school seems to have set. It really makes no sense." All I was looking for were some people who could sympathize, but instead I got a couple of people who act like anybody that doesn't treat a UF law application like a life judgement is an inconsiderate asshole.

And please, spare me the crap about "wanting it" or "deserving it." That's WAY more offensive than me walking in here complaining about ridiculous application requirements. I was well below UF's medians a year ago, and I worked my ass off and basically gave my life away to improve my GPA and LSAT, just so I could get into UF in particular. Don't make assumptions about other people you've never met based off two lines on a message board... And take a gosh darn chill pill.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW did I offend someone? :cry: I am so terribly sorry that you got your panties in a bunch.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:25 pm

Look like I missed all the "fun."

I have a question: how long did it take for your status to go from under review to decision pending/review complete? Also, are many of those who are decision pending/review complete in state resident? I am trying to figure out why it takes my app so long to go under review.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:11 am

Hey, sorry to derail the topic, but was your UF statement really all that different from your normal PS? Mine had some UF-specific stuff for the last 1/2 page, but nothing too unique. Was it really supposed to be that much different from a normal statement?

Neo

Postby Neo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:22 am

clone22 wrote:Hey, sorry to derail the topic, but was your UF statement really all that different from your normal PS? Mine had some UF-specific stuff for the last 1/2 page, but nothing too unique. Was it really supposed to be that much different from a normal statement?

Clone,

It depends on how you wrote your "normal" statement. The people at UF just want a statement that focuses on academics; however, they are not specific as to what that entails. For example, you could write about why you decided on your major, or why you want to go to law school. All they really want you to do is to have it tie into academics in some way and the diversity statement can be more about you. But if you write a "normal" personal statement that focuses on who you are as a person and then tie that into academics in someway (while using good judgment) you satisfy what UF is looking for in their statement. This is pretty much exactly what they said in their Road Map Seminar that they held awhile back. I hope this helps!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:58 am

Neo wrote:
clone22 wrote:Hey, sorry to derail the topic, but was your UF statement really all that different from your normal PS? Mine had some UF-specific stuff for the last 1/2 page, but nothing too unique. Was it really supposed to be that much different from a normal statement?

Clone,

It depends on how you wrote your "normal" statement. The people at UF just want a statement that focuses on academics; however, they are not specific as to what that entails. For example, you could write about why you decided on your major, or why you want to go to law school. All they really want you to do is to have it tie into academics in some way and the diversity statement can be more about you. But if you write a "normal" personal statement that focuses on who you are as a person and then tie that into academics in someway (while using good judgment) you satisfy what UF is looking for in their statement. This is pretty much exactly what they said in their Road Map Seminar that they held awhile back. I hope this helps!

Mine was completely different. I had written a 2 page, well crafted "obstacle overcome" PS for most schools. I then wrote an additional 4 page academic PS about my publishing experiences for UF (they apparently advised to use the whole 4 pages) and then made my other PS my DS. I guess it depends on what you're workin' with!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:20 am

tbldc2009 wrote:Look like I missed all the "fun."

I have a question: how long did it take for your status to go from under review to decision pending/review complete? Also, are many of those who are decision pending/review complete in state resident? I am trying to figure out why it takes my app so long to go under review.

Mine took about two weeks to go from "received" to final review. But I think that was because I spent forever doing the supplemental information thing they sent me. Rather, my FATHER took forever, because he is the one that claimed residency status for me. Dependency sucks.

But yeah, once I got that supplemental thing in and paid the application fee, it took them less than a week to change my status

kfw89law

Postby kfw89law » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:47 am

I applied 10/28 and went under initial review yesterday... I decided it was time to stop stalking these forums as a guest and actually make an account today :D

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:45 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:Look like I missed all the "fun."

Mine took about two weeks to go from "received" to final review. But I think that was because I spent forever doing the supplemental information thing they sent me. Rather, my FATHER took forever, because he is the one that claimed residency status for me. Dependency sucks.

But yeah, once I got that supplemental thing in and paid the application fee, it took them less than a week to change my status

Thanks

kfw89law wrote:I applied 10/28 and went under initial review yesterday... I decided it was time to stop stalking these forums as a guest and actually make an account today :D

Welcome!

DrackedaryMaster

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:20 pm

Is anyone else applying to any of the joint degree programs for UF? I am interested in the one for the MACC and was reading about the information on their site where you could enter the Fisher School for the first year without having to reapply to Levin, but the information looks to be outdated back to when UF used to have Spring admissions. Does anyone know if this info is still accurate?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:44 pm

kfw- welcome! care to share your #s? :)

Drackedary- I have no idea, but the general idea is you have to be accepted into both programs seperately. There are special instances, like for example Stetson law students can add an MBA without taking the GRE or GMAT. I doubt UF does anything like this, though. And when they accepted spring admissions would be reaaally outdated, so your best bet is to call.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:53 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:Is anyone else applying to any of the joint degree programs for UF? I am interested in the one for the MACC and was reading about the information on their site where you could enter the Fisher School for the first year without having to reapply to Levin, but the information looks to be outdated back to when UF used to have Spring admissions. Does anyone know if this info is still accurate?

I was looking into applying for the JD/MA program and they definitely said you have to apply to both and get accepted through both processes.

kfw89law

Postby kfw89law » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:45 pm

Barbie wrote:kfw- welcome! care to share your #s? :)

Drackedary- I have no idea, but the general idea is you have to be accepted into both programs seperately. There are special instances, like for example Stetson law students can add an MBA without taking the GRE or GMAT. I doubt UF does anything like this, though. And when they accepted spring admissions would be reaaally outdated, so your best bet is to call.

3.2 and 162...i'm hoping florida residency will help me out

Neo

Postby Neo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:55 pm

kfw89law wrote:

UF does not really give preference to instate v. out of state. From what I have read they aren't like most state schools which have a mandate to accepted 'X' number of instate students; however, that does not mean that the majority of their students are not instate.

Your GPA is a little on the low side, but your LSAT is at their median which is good. I don't really really think anyone of us can really predict anyone's chances (after all people on TLS just use the school's medians and past acceptance information for predictions) and none of us actually knows squat for sure since the admissions committee is free to chose how they want. But do you have a good reason for having a lower GPA?

kfw89law

Postby kfw89law » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:11 pm

nope no good reason :oops: i'm not really worrying about it yet though i'm just hoping for the best

Neo

Postby Neo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:14 pm

kfw89law wrote:nope no good reason :oops: i'm not really worrying about it yet though i'm just hoping for the best

That's always the best attitude to have! Best of luck! Where else are you applying??

Classygal87

Postby Classygal87 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:16 pm

kfw89law wrote:nope no good reason :oops: i'm not really worrying about it yet though i'm just hoping for the best

Me too! I really wanna go to UF they are my first choice but my LSAT is a little low.
I have a high GPA and really good softs.
But I just wanted to say I LOVE your attitude!

Neo

Postby Neo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:20 pm

Classygal87 wrote:

Me too! I really wanna go to UF they are my first choice but my LSAT is a little low.

How low?? Are you a complete reverse splitter?

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:25 pm

Classygal87 wrote:

What are your #s, if you don't mind? Feel free to PM me.

Classygal87

Postby Classygal87 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:25 pm

Neo wrote:
Classygal87 wrote:

How low?? Are you a complete reverse splitter?

Yes I would say so. But I pmed you my numbers/situation lol

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:43 pm

kfw89law wrote:

I've had more than a handful of friends in the past 2 cycles with lower numbers than yours get in... I believe there is a Florida residency/UF student bump because of that.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:29 pm

grrr @ UF student bump!!

you're numbers are exactly 1pt below mine (163/3.3) so we're pretty much in the same boat. There seems to be a handful of reverse splitters applying too. We're almost all very borderline candidates but all have a good shot IMO! If only we could find out SOON! :)

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:37 pm

Classygal87 wrote:

I'm in a similar situation. I wouldn't call my GPA "high" but it's pretty good. My LSAT, unfortunately, isn't quite where most schools like it.. My softs are very good though, so I'm hoping Florida takes a chance with me.

Classygal87

Postby Classygal87 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:40 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
Classygal87 wrote:

I'm in a similar situation. I wouldn't call my GPA "high" but it's pretty good. My LSAT, unfortunately, isn't quite where most schools like it.. My softs are very good though, so I'm hoping Florida takes a chance with me.

Good luck!

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Classygal87 wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
Classygal87 wrote:

Good luck!

Thank you! And good luck to you, too.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Barbie:

If I may ask, what is your first choice? It seems like you and I are applying to a lot of the same schools (based on the boards I've been stalking the last few days!)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”